Sun Mote Copse And played that Stevie Wonder song a couple thousand times
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
She would need to patrol several times a day to reinforce the borders, but there were many other tasks on Wildfire's to-do list. One of her topmost priorities was hunting and stashing game. She'd asked @Kiwi to work on this duty as well. They could keep themselves and @Sequoia fed at the very least, while they settled their lands and fleshed out their ranks.

Passing through the clearing near the forest's heart, Wildfire reached the head of a small game trail and began to sift her nose across the crust of snow. There were a few promising leads, so she chose one—a young rabbit—and began wending slowly along the path, moving stealthily through the frosted surroundings.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
((Holy wow it's late omg))

Kiwi took her new responsibility super seriously, and with a gusto that was almost alarming.  It was the first time that she really felt like she was being trusted as an adult, though, and the warmth of that trust lit a fire that was hard to abate.  She was so stoked to show her mom just how great a help she could be, and how fine they were gonna be since she was around to help.  No other help necessary.  (Not at all pointed at anyone else not needing to come, oh no)

She was actually out hunting herself when she ran across Wildfire, and she smiled when she saw her mom and fell in step beside her quietly.  She didn't talk, but waved her tail, and her eyes asked the silent question.  Team up?
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
The trail led her all the way to the river, where she lost it. Wildfire stood beside the water a long moment, then turned back toward the trees to try a different lead. She was nearing the center of the woods again when Kiwi approached, quiet as a church mouse. The would-be sovereign paused and grinned at her daughter, black tail waving. She nodded in answer to Kiwi's silent question, thrilling at the opportunity to hunt side-by-side with her.

That reminded her: there was something she wanted to ask the young woman, though it could wait until they'd caught something to eat. Wildfire kicked out a foreleg as if to say, "Take point?"
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Wildfire signaled that she should head it up and she nodded, internally eeeeing that she was getting to be in charge.  She was already on a trail of her own, so continued to follow it.

It took them on a winding route, but before too long, Kiwi heard a snap.  She froze, her eyes focusing on the sound, and she slunk down, taking a quick glance at her mom.  You go that way, I'll flush it out, she tried to communicate, glancing between her and the sound.

if you want to decide what it is! Otherwise I'll pick a random thing
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She happily followed behind the younger hunter, freezing when her daughter did and returning her glance. Kiwi issued some silent instructions and Wildfire grinned, nodding and moving into position. As she did, she noted that their prey was none other than a porcupine. It would be a risky kill, though between the two of them, Wildfire was sure they could take it. Besides, it felt appropriately symbolic.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Kiwi couldn't tell from her vantage point what the prey was, but she could hear it shuffling.  Her mom got into position, though, so she smiled and kicked her plan into action.

It was a plan that would have worked out fairly well if it had been a creature with flight instincts.  Unfortunately for the still somewhat inexperienced huntress, not every animal did. The porcupine, instead of running like she expected, shifted around, revealing a back full of long spiked quills that rattled menacingly as Kiwi tried to spur it to move.

She slid to a hasty stop, but not quite hasty enough, and ended up with one barbed quill sticking out of her cheek.  She pulled back and did a slight circle,   glancing at Wildfire for help.  Maybe a learning experience instead.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She was sorely tempted to warn Kiwi when she saw her daughter moving in too incautiously, though Wildfire knew experience was the greatest teacher. She winced when the expected happened: the porcupine wielded its tail like a club covered in spikes, a quill sinking into her lip. The porcupine chattered its teeth threateningly, a surprisingly loud noise, and Wildfire made no move to go after it when it retreated.

Instead, she turned her attention to Kiwi, frowning sympathetically. "I could call Corinna—have you met her yet?—but I'm pretty sure there's nothing we can do but wait for it to work itself out, otherwise we risk doing more damage. It's like a splinter, only worse. I'm glad it's only the one." She sighed, wishing there was more she could do. "We could ask her about something for the pain. Is it bad?"

Once the girl answered that, Wildfire couldn't help but muse, "It's kind of like a badge of honor. Speaking of that..." Since the porcupine had effectively foiled their hunt, she motioned for Kiwi to take a seat, then folded her slim red haunches onto the cold, snowy ground. "I'm going to have a council of eight: two Sovereigns, two Regents and four Honorees. I may have told you this already. Anyway," she continued, sucking in a breath, "I was hoping I could make you an Honoree, with plans to promote you to Regent when you're a year. And maybe one day, you can take over for me as Sovereign. What do you think?"
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
No! That answer was a little too quick and firm, but Kiwi had definitely met Corinna before and definitely didn't want her coming and helping.  I mean, it's fine. It wasn't, it hurt pretty bad, but if they couldn't pull it out she was just going to have to deal with it.  

She was surprised they were just going to let it go, but she didn't push to go after it, definitely not after that.  Is there any way to eat those? She asked, looking after it to hide slightly watering eyes from her mom.  

So it did hurt.  But oh boy was she about to forget about that as soon as her mom answered and then kept going.

Really!? Yes! I mean, that'd be... yes! Her tail was goin a mile a minute.  Fun fact - Kiwi would have been hurt big time if Wildfire had promoted a stranger over her right off the bat, but she still wasn't quite vain enough to not see an honor when one was thrown her way.  And this was definitely a good one!  I'll definitely help, with everything!
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She hoped the topic would get Kiwi's mind off the quill embedded in her face. It seemed to work, as the youth enthusiastically accepted. Wildfire couldn't help herself: she slung her foreleg around her daughter in a quick hug, planting a kiss on her crown before letting her go.

"Yes, really. I'll ask Seq if she'd also like to be an Honoree. I could see you as Sovereign and Seq as Regent or even both of you as Sovereigns someday."

She glanced off in the direction the porcupine had gone and huffed a soft laugh. "You have to flip them to get at their bellies. It's very hard to do and there's always risk. But they're very tasty, if you do manage. I don't think we should try again today though. But if your face isn't hurting too bad, we could try for something a little easier. Rabbit, maybe?"
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It was a funny thing.  Any other wolf and Kiwi would have been upset, but Sequoia she'd never felt competitive towards.  They were best friends, in it together, and Kiwi didn't mind at all the thought of sharing leadership with her.  Her delight was evident from the fact that she didn't even try to pull away from her mom's affectionate grab.

She was somewhat skeptical of trying again, so she was secretly glad when Wildfire confirmed there was a way to do it, but they weren't going to today.  Oh.  Okay. She definitely filed that information away.  She had a plan for it... if someone kept it busy, maybe the second could sneak in on the side while the tail was occupied.  Maybe Sequoia would help her to get revenge.  Or @Clover, if she visited?  That thought almost surprised her.

Rabbit sounds amazing! She said with a good deal of feeling, ready for something without any defense but speed.  Her face would definitely be sore for a while, and it twinged anytime she spoke or moved, but it wasn't unbearable.  She just knew she looked pretty dumb with a spine sticking out sideways, and she was definitely going to be self conscious for a few days.

good to fade or close I think!
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
*finishes* :D

Kiwi agreed to rabbit nearly as enthusiastically as she had to her future rank. Wildfire chuffed and carefully nudged the girl's good cheek. "I love your spirit, Kiwi," she said, not for the first time and certainly not the last either. "You never back down. That's part of why I think you'll be a great Regent, then Sovereign, someday."

Wildfire favored her daughter with a soft look, then resumed a more predatory demeanor as she stalked off through the copse, keen to find and capture a rabbit to commemorate this important moment in their lives.