Sun Mote Copse Why don't we just relax and turn on the radio? Would you like AM or FM?
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
Wildfire finished scratching an itch behind one velveteen earlobe and set her foot back on the ground before fluidly rising onto all fours. She shook out her pelt and headed deeper into the territory, now finished with her patrol. She wanted to grab something to eat but there was another task she wanted to accomplish first.

She arrived at the rendezvous site (which she called The Roost) and paused near the log that occasionally served as a podium of sorts (or a throne, though that sounded awfully snobbish). She didn't bother jumping up there. Instead, Wildfire roamed to the center of the clearing, threw back her head and summoned @Kiwi with a soft howl.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Kiwi wasn't sure why Wildfire was calling her, but she definitely cut off what she was doing ASAP to go find out.  It didn't matter what her current feelings were about anything, she was quick to want to be there anytime something was going down.

Luckily she wasn't far, and only a few minutes had passed since Wildfire's howl when she came jogging into the space next to the nest.  Hey mom, She said, somewhat breathlessly.  She'd actually already been running when the howl came, heading for the borders.  What's going on?
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Kiwi didn't make her wait. As her daughter strode toward her, Wildfire found it easy to smile at the yearling. She reached out to touch her nose to the girl's cheek. The Sovereign knew Kiwi probably felt some kind of way about her hookup with Eljay. But she'd shown up promptly, so whatever she thought of it, it didn't prevent her from coming when her mother called. Wildfire really appreciated that. It also corroborated the decision she'd made regarding Kiwi's station.

"I wanted to ask you something. As you're probably aware, Eljay and I did 'the deed'"—she didn't even have to make actual air quotes, it was all conveyed heavily in her tone—"and we'll most likely be expecting a litter come early spring. I think you're going to make a great big sister. But I have an even more important responsibility for you, if you're willing." She paused. "I know we talked about you becoming Regent when you turned a year. Well, you're an adult now and I'd like to ask you to step up sooner, as I'll need you to help run the show when the pups are born, as I'll be out of commission temporarily."

Wildfire stopped there to let Kiwi process, though she did tack on just one more thing: "I was thinking now, so we have plenty of time to prepare. But whether and when you accept the title is entirely up to you, Kiwi."
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Her mom didn't at all beat around the bush, and Kiwi opened her mouth to tell exactly how she felt about being a 'great' big sister, only to have it click shut again when Wildfire kept going.  Immediately any words she was going to say fled the scene.  She was absolutely sidetracked.

Really?! Yes! I mean, definitely, I can do it! Kiwi went from defensive to fit to burst in .2 seconds flat, smiling and rushing forward to give her mom a hearty affectionate kiss on the chin.  I'm ready, for sure.  She'd never been more ready for anything actually!
Kiwi will internalize lies and twist things to her benefit until this becomes her reality.  Her thoughts are not my own <3
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Kiwi accepted enthusiastically. "Wonderful!" Wildfire exclaimed, hitching a foreleg into the air to wind around her lookalike's shoulders and draw her into a brief embrace. "Thank you. It'll be hugely helpful to have a co-leader, especially over the next few months."

She had definitely wanted to cut right to the chase with the promotion, though Wildfire knew they should discuss something else too. "I also wanted to talk to you about the pups. Well, I wanted to let you know I'm here if there's anything you want to talk about. I know that it all sort of came out of left field."
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She leaned into her mom's embrace, enjoying it.  Kiwi was a young wolf and definitely into keeping up appearances, but avoiding affectionate displays was never really a part of the image she felt she needed to keep up.  It helped that despite being her mom, she didn't often feel like Wildfire talked to her like a kid, at least not like others had.  This just showed that her mom saw her as capable of doing what an adult could, and maybe even more.  She was practically glowing.

Not even her mom's reversal to the previous topic could temper that, though she did look down a little uncertainly.  Unpopular opinion... she wasn't thrilled.  She hadn't liked Eljay moving to sleep with her mom (because it meant she wasn't anymore) and she didn't like the idea of other siblings taking her mom's attention.  Not to mention the issues with her other siblings... Kiwi was kinda over the whole thing.  Why do you want more kids? She asked, deciding if she was gonna do the direct thing then might as well do it nicely?
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Kiwi took the opportunity to question her mother's choices. Wildfire fielded the first one with a bob of her head and the words, "You know, I didn't think I did. I was perfectly happy with what I already have: chiefly, you and Seq. But instincts are powerful driving forces. You'll understand when you're older and you go through a heat of your own. I hate to admit it but it's really a matter of hormones overruling reason.

But,"
the Sovereign continued in the very next breath, "now that my heat's ended and I can think more clearly, I do want them. It's hard to describe the reasons why, though I'll try. I know that I want to see Eljay as a father; I think he'll be a very, very good one. I know that I'd like another chance to raise a litter. I've made a lot of missteps and mistakes, though I don't think any of you turned out too bad." She smiled a little, tail waving. "I'm more experienced now and I think I have a better handle on it. And..."

Wildfire drew in a breath, then bit her lip. She exhaled, then admitted, "I'd like to find out what it's like to raise children outside of Drageda and its customs. Firebirds is still young but we've already established some of our governing principles. Now that you're a leader with me, it's your job to cultivate those alongside me, to lead by example. That'll include your younger brothers and sisters. It's entirely up to you how involved you want to be when they're born," Wildfire finished, "but I know I'd be honored if you'd help with their upbringing, Ms. Regent."
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
As Wildfire started, Kiwi was mollified by the first sentence.  Then that slowly began to shift as her mom went on, every sentence getting more and more wrong in the girl's mind.  Eljay should be a father.  Kiwi didn't see anything in the guy so far that showed the slightest indication he was strong enough to be a parent, not like Nomi had been.

The next part was worse.  Wildfire obviously didn't mean the words to be an insult, but Kiwi was immature enough not to take that meaning.  Aside from that, Kiwi had left Drageda for two reasons: she couldn't let Wildfire leave without her, and she had felt replaced and upset when Ephraim went with Nomi instead of her.  The girl took humongous pride in being born and raised as Kru and, as much as she railed against her siblings, the fact that she couldn't return hurt her more than she ever allowed herself to let on.  Wildfire was one of two people Kiwi loved enough to want to protect fiercely, and she didn't want her to know that she hadn't wanted to choose between two homes, as happy as she'd become here.

But now everything was bursting up, and alongside her guilt about Bat, she couldn't stop it from coming out.  Even if she'd just been given the job she'd really, really wanted, and yelling at her mom was probably a surefire way to lose it just as fast.  There's nothing wrong with us, or with being raised at Drageda, she said, her voice rising as she felt the familiar prick of heat in her face and eyes.  Oh boy.  You can't just replace them.  I don't want any more brothers or sisters!  Her ears pinned back as she stared at her mom heatedly, eyes beginning to water.  Yep.  This was going great so far.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Her first reaction to Kiwi's outburst was to blink, taken aback. She had expected some concerns, though not a tantrum, not from her newly selected Regent. Wildfire experienced a brief twinge of anger at the childishness of it, though it was quickly subsumed by her more characteristic empathetic nature. Of course, it was absurd to frame the new children as replacing the old ones and she hadn't expected that rebuttal from an adult. But Kiwi was a young adult and no matter how much she grew, how esteemed she became, she was still very much Wildfire's baby.

For a moment, she considered fondly scoffing at the allegation, though Wildfire opted to go the route of sincerity. "Kiwi," the Sovereign said firmly, "I am not replacing you." She paused for a long beat, wanting to make sure that sunk in before she continued. She made a point to catch Kiwi's eye, noting the shimmer of tears there. This softened Wildfire even more. "How could you think that? No, that's not the case at all. My love is not finite. I love you fiercely and I always will, no matter how many brothers and sisters you do or don't have."

She let out a breath, considered making the point that it wasn't Kiwi's decision to make and then erred against it. Instead, Wildfire said in a gentle, patient voice, "I didn't say there was anything wrong with being raised in Drageda. I didn't mean to imply it either. I'm sorry if it came across that way. What I meant was that I feel much more like myself here than I ever did in Drageda. It will be a new experience for me to raise children in a culture not focused on fighting wars, one that doesn't subscribe to the concept of natrona, that sort of thing.

Our laws here are very different from Drageda's in a lot of ways, though I haven't shunned that part of our history. For instance, we don't have Drakru, yet we promote trades, just like we did there. I swear, Kiwi, I'm not turning my back on you or where we came from before,"
Wildfire concluded.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She didn't hear her right.  She wasn't dumb - she knew she wasn't being replaced (though she was still definitely jealous of anything that would take attention away).  Not replacing me.  Them.  Bat and Artaax and Tux and Silkie and Blixen and everyone they left behind.  She didn't know why, when she'd made the choice to leave, the implication that Wildfire wanted the chance to start over made her so upset.  But it did.

She wasn't completely soothed by Wildfire's words.  Once you got keyed up, it was hard to find the off switch sometimes.  But the urge to cry decreased a little, and her voice got less shrill with anger as it faded somewhat.  She kind of wished it hadn't gone, though, because all she was left with was sad instead.  I don't need a new family.  But she knew even as she said it that it was dumb, because what she needed didn't really matter in this instance did it?  Wildfire was the one having kids, and the fact that the rest of the family would never meet them (or see her again) didn't matter.  Sorry.  I'm just... I don't know.  Why was she fighting with her mom right now?  

Summoning Artaax to mind, she remembered what he'd said about controlling your emotions.  Slowly, she took a breath.  I'm sure they'll be great.  She added finally.  There wasn't a ton of enthusiasm behind it, but the combative spark was gone.  New siblings were coming whether she liked it or not, and yelling at her mom about it was only making her feel worse.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
When Kiwi clarified, a genuinely hurt expression took over Wildfire's face. "How could you think that?" It hit a tender spot of her own and the Sovereign found herself fighting the urge to cry too. She couldn't speak for a moment. In any case, the Sovereign didn't know what else to say beyond that. She'd said quite a lot already.

Kiwi threw another hurtful comment out there and still Wildfire made no reply, her throat officially clicking with each swallow. It was up to Kiwi how much she wanted to embrace her younger half-siblings. Wildfire wasn't going to force anything on her. When the new Regent apologized, the redhead nodded slowly to acknowledge it.

She finally spoke, explaining her momentary silence in a soft voice, "That really hurt my feelings." She wanted to be frank with the girl. Kiwi was her second-in-command now, a decision she stood by firmly despite her daughter's unexpectedly painful reaction to her pregnancy. Wildfire swallowed thickly. "I hope so. We can talk more about this later."

She took a moment to gather herself, steadying herself with a few deep breaths. "I was going to howl to announce it," Wildfire said. "Your new title, I mean. I was hoping we could announce it together."
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She felt bad for hurting her feelings, and regretted saying anything the instant she saw the expression on her mom's face.  But that didn't mean she no longer felt the way she felt, or that she could find it in herself to be happy about new brothers and sisters.  Okay, she replied, feeling like she was going to cry too but managing to keep it under control.  

It didnt exactly feel right, feeling like this while she announced a thing she'd been shooting for ever since.. forever.  But she nodded, and breathed, and tried to make sure her voice wouldn't waver when she did.  No matter how she felt, she was still one hundred percent sure she could do this and do great.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
When Wildfire raised her own voice, it was shaky at first, though it grew steadier with every second. Her howl wasn't loud (they never were) but it was proud. Stowing away any hurt feelings Kiwi had incurred, the mother injected as much love and triumph into the song as she could manage. Her daughter was young and would require quite a bit of guidance at first. But Wildfire knew Kiwi would uphold the Firebirds and, one day, carry the torch in her stead.
565 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Kiwi joined in only a moment after, her own voice rising clear as she focused on the responsibility she'd been given and what the role would feel like instead of the conversation she'd just had.  She had a lot to work through in the coming days, but she wasn't about to let it make her a bad leader.  She was going to be the best, just like she'd always known she would be, and make her moms proud.  Even if one would never see it.