The Sentinels The impossible is possible tonight
133 Posts
Ooc — hela
Private 
for @Tuvaq
set for early morning

He never wandered very far from his friend, even today. They had slept on the outskirts of the scorched forest the night before, and Acheron had left his slumbering friend to try and find something for them to eat before he woke up. He was drawn to the strange forest, just like he had been in the other forest where he had met Tuvaq. He carefully made his way through the dead trees, his excursion slowly becoming more about exploring the ashen land than finding food, although he still kept an eye out for something just in case. 

So far there had been nothing but him and the occasional rodent he heard scurrying somewhere nearby. The squawking of a bird made him pause. It had been persistent over the last few minutes and when he focused on the sound, picking it out of the sound of the ocean in the background, he realized it seemed kind of familiar. He looked up to the barren branches, his dark blue gaze carefully searching each one until the black of a raven stood out against the muted brown of the branch it was perched on directly above him. It was the same raven from the other forest. They made eye contact and stared at each other for a few moments before the blackbird flapped its large wings and soared down to half rotted log just ahead of him. Acheron didn't move at first; it wasn't until the bird cawed at him again and flapped its wings as if to ask—what are you waiting for?

The freckled boy trotted forward, stopping only a few feet from the raven. He stared at it curiously and the bird stared back with cold, black eyes. A few silent moments passed between them and then Acheron released a soft chuff, asking—what now? Suddenly, the bird took flight again, landing on a branch in the distance and cawing at him. Acheron followed, and the bird took off again. This went on for a while until they stopped in a place where the dead, burned trees hugged the lush green ones of a different forest. Just ahead, the trickling of water could be heard, and Acheron continued towards the sound, eventually finding himself next to a small stream. The flapping of wings made him look up, and there was the raven, perched in a tree that grew awkwardly from the riverbank. It cawed at him and bobbed his head towards the stream—the water it seemed imply, and he walked forward and peered in to see it practically swarming with fish; they were decently sized, too—perfect for breakfast. 

He wasted no more time and crouched near the water's edge, watching for just the right moment before striking his muzzle into the water. He missed the first few times but managed to catch three of them before settling near the tree the raven was still perched in. He lifted his head and called for his friend then; he wanted him to see the stream and come eat.
80 Posts
Ooc —
This land wasn't unlike where he'd met Acheron. Charred and destroyed, and altogether uninteresting, in Tuvaq's opinion. The fire would've destroyed all of the life that was intriguing to the blond boy, slicing through the undergrowth and leaving nothing but destruction in its path. Which was cool, at first, but Tuvaq missed the mushrooms and the life beneath the shade of the trees. Or even the sun on the beaches, where it turned Acheron's fur aglow. 

His companion was awake before him this day. Not unheard of, but Tuvaq was not one to sleep in. So when he opened his eyes and saw that Acheron was not there, he was surprised. Getting to his feet, the blond boy stretched, feeling something in his lower back pop in a satisfying way. It was good to limber up before he went out into a destroyed forest to search for his friend. 

It was relatively easy to follow the pawsteps in the ash, and soon Tuvaq came across the stream. The howl came moments later, and the boy smiled, approaching his fisherman companion. 

"You'll have to teach me that sometime," he commented, approaching his friend and tipping his head toward the fish. "It's interesting, and you're really good at it." Acheron was really good at a lot of things, Tuvaq found. He was more appreciative day by day for the other boy, and... well, he was beginning to wonder what he'd do without him.
[Image: RT1niQT.png]
Tuvaq is travelling with Acheron, who can jump into any of his threads at any time ^^
133 Posts
Ooc — hela
His tail beat against the ground immediately when his friend arrived at the stream. He commented on teaching him to fish, and Acheron nodded. I can't take all the credit, he told the other boy first. He tilted his head up to the raven perched on the branch just above him. She helped. The bird cawed, and somehow Acheron seemed to know what she wanted, just like he seemed to know that the blackbird was a she. Of course, he could be wrong, but there was no way for him to really ever find out, so that's what he settled on. If she hung around more, then he would need to find a name for her. He ripped a big chunk from his own fish and chucked it a good distance away. The raven soared down, grabbed the meat, and then returned to her branch where she began to pick at her meal. 

The freckled boy turned back to Tuvaq with a smile. I learned back home, but I'm not that good at it, honestly; I just got lucky today, and I had to fish for a while just for these two. He shrugged and took a bite, chewing and swallowing before adding: But I can teach you what I know anytime. Really, he would do just about anything for the other boy. 

How did you sleep? he asked. He was in a particularly good mood this morning, with his new bird friend and Tuvaq, and he wondered if the other boy was feeling the same.
80 Posts
Ooc —
Tuvaq's eyes trailed up to the raven, interest briefly flashing in his expression. How intriguing - this bird that followed his companion around. Weird, but cool. There were so many possibilities that would open up, with a winged ally on their side. Fishing being the least of them. The boy smiled as the freckled wolf fed her, ears flicking back and forth as he watched. "Well tell her thank you from me," he said, a smile forming on his maw as he looked back to his friend.

"Clearly, I've never been around water," he told him, settling down by the stream and dipping one paw into it. He'd wait for Acheron to eat first before he took a bite. "Growing up around a river must have helped you." He huffed out a short laugh. "I'd love for you to teach me." 

A smile formed on his maw, tail swishing across the pebbly bank. "I slept great. Better than I have in a while," he responded, angling his ears toward Acheron before he turned his attention back to the bubbling stream. "You woke up before me today." It wasn't unheard of, but Tuvaq was an extremely early riser, whether he actually got up or not. He'd wake before the sun rose most times, and just wait for Acheron to wake up. He liked those times - they were peaceful, and calm, and let him have some time to think. "Did you sleep well?"
Tuvaq is travelling with Acheron, who can jump into any of his threads at any time ^^
133 Posts
Ooc — hela
Acheron grinned and looked back over to the raven. I'm not sure how to communicate that with her just yet, but I assume sharing my food is a good way to start, he explained, moving his gaze back to Tuvaq as he lowered his head to inspect his meal. 

He shrugged at his companion's next words, taking a bite, chewing, and swallowing before answering: Yeah, I guess fishing was kind of a given there. He had only half paid attention anytime his mom or Emrik tried to teach him, something he was kind of regretting now, since Tuvaq wanted to learn how too. He would figure out, though, especially if it meant giving the other boy more of an advantage in life. 

A warm smile curved his lips at his friend's answer. Good, I'm glad. He liked knowing that Tuvaq felt safe enough to sleep well. He nodded and took another bite when Tuvaq pointed out that he was up first today. It was true: Acheron rarely woke up first, but this morning he had for some reason. Maybe he knew something good would happen. He smiled again and nodded. I always do lately, he answered, implying that it was because of Tuvaq. 

He chewed another bite, swallowing again before speaking. Did you have anywhere you wanted to check out? The freckled boy asked. He loved exploring with Tuvaq, and he was up for anything as long as he was there.
80 Posts
Ooc —
i don't know how i wasn't subscribed to this thread ;-;

Maybe the food offering was enough, but Tuvaq couldn't help it. The bird followed them around - maybe it picked up on language or something. Was it far-fetched? Maybe, but he didn't care. "Thanks," he called up to the bird before turning back to his food. 

Fishing would be a beneficial skill to learn. Probably more so if he actually knew how to swim. Tuvaq wondered if he would be able to survive in Acheron's old home, with all the rivers. Maybe he could learn to swim and fish and be one of these water wolves. There was probably a lot going on under the surface of that water that he could learn about. 

Warmth bloomed in Tuvaq's chest at the insinuation. Acheron always slept well lately. A smile crossed his maw and he swallowed his bite of fish, hazel eyes slightly unfocused as he thought. "I sleep more now than I ever used to before," he realized, tilting his head to the side with a soft huff of laughter. That was noteworthy, right? He felt so much better, with Acheron here. 

"The streams," he said immediately, angling his ears toward Acheron. "Do you think you could teach me to swim?"
133 Posts
Ooc — hela
nw! <3

He watched the interaction between Tuvaq and the raven, smiling a little as the bird stared at his friend for a few seconds before tilting her head and cawing down at them. Then she promptly went back to eating the piece of flesh she had set next to her on the branch where she was perched. 

Acheron's smile grew when Tuvaq mentioned sleeping better than he ever used to; he didn't come out and say it, but the freckled boy kind of got the feeling that Tuvaq was implying he slept more now because of him, which made his stomach flutter and his cheeks warm a little. He took another bite of food, unable to completely wipe the smile from his face even as he chewed. 

He looked to the stream and then back to Tuvaq when he said he wanted to go in the water and learn how to swim. Sure, he answered. I'd love to teach you. Then maybe the could avoid a repeat of what happened in the ocean. Plus, he was happy to do most anything that made Tuvaq happy.
80 Posts
Ooc —
Acheron's smile was infectious, and Tuvaq vaguely wondered if this was how relationships with others were supposed to be. For once in his life, Tuvaq did not feel used or underappreciated or less-than. And maybe he'd only ever have this with one wolf, but if that were the case, he was glad that it was Acheron. 

Tact had never been his strong suit, but that didn't seem to matter here, either. Tuvaq watched the freckled boy for a moment, chartreuse eyes both appraising and affectionate. 

"I'm glad I met you," he said simply, a small smile growing on his own maw. And maybe that was something that should have embarrassed him to say, but for some reason, it didn't. It just felt right.
133 Posts
Ooc — hela
Tuvaq's words made a tender smile curve the freckled boy's lips. Acheron's soft gaze searched for his friend's and held it when their eyes met. I'm glad, too, he offered in return, his words soft but very much genuine. He realized then that he didn't much care where they went from here; as long as Tuvaq was with him, he knew they would both be fine. 

His fish was pretty much picked to the bone—he rarely had any leftovers from his meal. Acheron stood and stretched, his tail curving up and swaying slowly above his hips. He heard the raven flap her wings, and he looked up to see her find a spot to perch higher up in the tree, probably for a better view of their surroundings now that she was full too. When he looked back down at his friend, he smiled again. Ready for your lesson?
80 Posts
Ooc —
The softness was new to Tuvaq, but not uncomfortable. It was strange, to care for someone like this, and to be cared for in return. But there really wasn't a doubt in his mind that he'd do just about anything for Acheron. It wasn't even a frightening thought - just a simple fact. 

Tuvaq's fish was neatly cleaned as well by the time Acheron stood. The blond boy got to his feet and shook himself off with a small grin, undereyes crinkling a bit. "Always," he responded, tail swishing back and forth behind him and hazel eyes light with interest and excitement. "Teach me your ways, oh wise one," the boy implored, giving a faux bow and a grin up to his companion.
133 Posts
Ooc — hela
Acheron offered a returning grin before trotting towards the edge of the stream. This would be a good place to learn; the ocean was dangerous if you didn't know how to swim, but here, Acheron could control things better. The freckled boy looked from side to side, eyeing the water for a good spot to start. Where they were now was too shallow, and it would do Tuvaq no good to try and swim in a spot where his paws touched the bottom. They needed a place deep enough but also close enough to the shore that Acheron could keep him safe. 

He trotted along the edge of the water a bit before wading in. In the center of the stream, the water reached only to his chest, so he moved forward a little more, stopping when he felt the bottom drop some under his paws. Backing up, he turned his head to wherever his friend was. This is a good place, he explained. But before we move any further, I want to tell you some things about swimming. Acheron didn't want to just throw him in with no direction. Once you step farther than where I'm standing, you'll feel the bed of the stream drop off; that's when you'll start paddling your front legs kind of like you're running, he explained. And once your back feet are in the deeper water, you'll do the same with them. Try to keep your head above the water so that you can breath.

Acheron slowly did as he explained and then turned to Tuvaq as he paddled in place. Ready?