Wheeling Gull Isle A ghost beneath the tower.
42 Posts
Ooc — Nukilik
Joining 
They crossed the sand bar at low tide, hoisting a river fish from the Totoka as a shining banner before them. The fish twitched against the coming death and went limp as it met the salt-heavy air.

Nukilik felt the life leave it; absorbing it into herself, they felt confident and lively as they found their way closer to the island. In the coming hours the sea would swallow their path. They tucked the fish against a wet band of sand.

A breath, a song.

Hua?
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Nuka

It had been a long time since the early days of Yuèlóng. So much had happened- Huā became a mother, found enemies in the saints and allies in Moonspear, fell for Mal and lost the Ying she had always known. 

The song that touched her ears was beautiful, but not familiar, and Huā wondered who it could be. She was on her way quickly, (ashamed that Aiolos had been first to arrive in the past few meetings,) headed to the shore where the sound originated. 

When she caught sight of them- with their smoky pelt and dual toned eyes, she paused, sucking in a small gasp. 

N-Nuka? 

So much time, and still she felt her heart tremble nervously in her chest.
42 Posts
Ooc — Nukilik
The warmth of Hua's coat merged well with the dampened sand and so Nukilik did not immediately find her when she arrived, spying only her dark-capped face, captivated by the shock of color that sparked in her eyes. Hearing their name called, the wayward wolf prances excitedly in place and moves to close the distance.

A sleek bowing in to submission, the grasp of the fish by the tail, and it is dropped at Hua's feet. Nukilik reaches to kiss the air beneath the Empress' chin as further fealty. The grizzle decorating their tail is a blur as it sweeps.

I bring a gift, with my apology. I did not mean to be gone so long! Pleading eyes, the twist of a frown. Their belly touched the sand and soon they were flattening upon it. My time came, I... I went to find a husband, but none would have me. I... Should have stayed.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Nuka fell into submission which stunned Huā, in spite of her rank, but pleased her all the same that her companion might be so well behaved. She looked down upon them as they pressed to the sand with a warm gaze, and to the fish at her dark paws.

They seemed so genuine in their regret... and their seeking of a husband was relatable, reminding her of home. Nukilik themselves reminded Huā of home- a dramatic submission to the huángdì, gifts brought when visiting friends and the goal of marriage for any young female. Huā could see Nuka was already past their first child-having year, thus marriage was all the more desperate of a search for them, as it was for the poor empress- and knowing that perhaps Nukilik saw it in the same way Huā would, she felt ashamed that she might have to reveal her litter of bastard children.

Still, she would never deny Nuka a place here, not while their mere presence stirred butterflies in Huā's stomach for reasons she could not explain. Do not apologize any more, Huā commanded as she leaned down to nudge the wolf's shoulder, encouraging them upward from their submissive stance. I am just joyful to see you here again- perhaps in the spring, if you want, I can find you a husband here... do you wish to stay? And it felt so strange to offer Nuka an arrangement... but this was one of the emperess' duties, when necessary, putting two wolves together for the growth of the empire and proper utilization of the girls' wombs.
42 Posts
Ooc — Nukilik
So involved they were in prostrating themselves that Nukilik had not studied the woman properly. When bade to stand they did, stealing shy glances everywhere but those bright eyes. Nuka was pleased to see a roundness to Hua's figure, a maturity, as well as great pride.

The offer surprised them - plainly written across their face.

You would help me...? But it is not my place, you are the Empress! I thank you, but... Sucking a breath; Nukilik nibbles the inside of their cheek, conflict brewing inside of them. The island belongs to you and those born to you. It went against what Nuka knew to be right.

But I will think on it, they say, not wanting to disappoint their friend. I am here to stay if you will have me. I have been many places and hold many stories! There goes that tail again.

Oh, but you have stories too, yes? Please, tell me all I have missed...?

Fade here while they talk behind the scenes? Or continue? Your call!
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
we can continue to get a solid grasp of nuka's knowledge of the history, if thats ok with you? : )

Nukilik held a nervousness, and Huā smiled softly, charmed again. Of course I will help you- a good empress helps her people. That was her personal belief, but she thought it to be true- a man only had as much power as his people gave him. There was a saying back home, 民以食为天, meaning food was most important to the people, and people most important to their leader. A leader who could not feed his people would be overthrown... and Huā was always trying to feed her people, even in the less literal sense.

The island belongs to me, yes, but... I have a younger brother here... perhaps if you choose to seek an arrangement, I can find a place for you in my family. You are welcome to stay, and I am eager to hear your stories. Yunxu was younger than Nuka, but would be old enough to father this spring. Raised back home; he was likely familiar with what a good husband looked like already... and she wondered if, in leaving home to search for Huā and her sisters, he had abandoned any potential arrangements with other family's daughters. Nuka was not the perfect age for him... but she was getting ahead of herself. If Nuka made the choice, Yunxu would be there... until then, the empress shelved her consideration.

When Nukilik asked after what had happened in their absence, Huā laughed in a way almost exasperated. Where I can start? In spring I had a litter of children, And here she paused, debating whether to reveal her shame to one who understood the importance of marriage- But... I was not married. She sighed, shaking her head to herself and thinking of Mal, and the complexity of their relationship. If you remember Ying... she has gone south and gotten married, had children. Huā wanted to focus on the positive as much as possible, and thus avoided mentioning her sister's memory loss. Because there was already enough negative stuff- In the summer, some violent people moved into the forest near us on the beach. Yuèlóng has allies now, so we work together and remove them, but they are still in other places, in the mountains. Living on the mainland right now seemed frightening, never knowing where the saints were lurking, and thus Huā believed it best to stay safe in their little island paradise. If you think you may travel, I can tell you more about who to be careful for... but I do not want to bore you with it, if not. She laughed and blushed, ears flattening bashfully to her head.
42 Posts
Ooc — Nukilik
A place in her family..? The idea warms her in ways she does not anticipate. The hunt for a man had left her filled with sorrow and in hearing this offering Nukilik realized how wrong it was for her to leave; if she had stayed, she would be wed by now. If she had not followed the calling of the wind when her season came, perhaps her children would be here now; but she also knew that the ways of the natchik - her people - were considered by some to be barbaric. It held no space here upon this beautiful island.

She smiles meekly, licking her lips as she thinks. It will take much more consideration than a subtle mention; there would be time enough to meet this brother, to bide her time until the season came to her again. Thank you. Nukilik says; for the invitation, for the possible match, for being so good to her despite the distance and the time.

As Hua went through her stories Nuka reacted with a shifting countenance, walking alongside the Empress at her heel, taking every detail in. Nukilik had already presumed the woman had born children in reading her roundness but it was a surprise that she was yet unwed. A good thing this was not natchik territory thinks the northerner; a shame to think of those babes culled and laid to rest upon the island.

Their brow furrowed upon hearing of danger. Violent people were common, and Nuka had certainly met with her own fair share while seeking her partner. It is good to have friends, she quips when Hua pauses between explanations, smiling faintly. She is speaking more-so of the Empress herself. How blessed is Nukilik to have such a wonderful woman in her life again!

If you think you may travel— Hua began, offering details should Nukilik need any, they shook their head sharply. It would not bore me, I do want to learn more of our friends and any others - but I do not want to leave, not unless you need me to. She did not mean it to sound so permanent, she had only just returned, but there was a defensive quality to the way Nuka relayed this. If you need me to travel someday, maybe. I have missed your island very much. And.. missed you, too.

Nukilik's turn to blush.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Nuka was quick to tell Huā they did not wish to travel, and so the empress only nodded slightly as they explained what they did want to know. At the last phrase- and.. missed you, too- Huā's face flushed, and she blinked suddenly while taking an awkward glance st her feet. She cleared her throat and looked up again, taking a breath and continuing with her sharing of information, all the while trying not to be tempted into any kind of flirtatious behavior by those words. They were friends alone! Besides, Nuka had the scent of a woman... and Huā's own feelings were taboo to her, and she doubted Nukilik would accept her for them, despite how she had seen them practiced so easily between Minori and Takara. If only it was that simple for Huā. 

We have many friends, and few enemies. Moonspear are our ally on the mountain, and Neverwinter live in the forest. She considered sharing that the father of her children was there, but thought against it. These are led by Hydra, and Mal. We also have good relationship with Kaistle- ...leoki, lead by a woman called Ira, and Seelie Court, lead by Lumiya...

After telling of their allies, Huā would go on to mention the Saints- briefly their crimes of kidnapping, a description of Donovan; his dog blood and striped fur. She'd warn Nuka that those dangers lurked on the mainland- secretly hoping it might keep them here longer, in safety. Afterward the empress would welcome Nuka back home, and the northern wolf would be free to roam the isle.