Moonspear Til the Darkest thought makes me want to try these wings
Moonspear
Emprex*
600 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
All Welcome 
Alaric moved about the spear. Everything was quiet. The girls were taking care of the babies. He had been with them just this morning. Now he patrolled. The quietness of the spear, itched him beneath his coat of obsidian and brown. But he didn't know quite why. Concern was at teh forefront of his mind, for their caches were not large. He had known Rodyn had brought more wares. But how long would they last. 

He took a deep breath and lifted his head. Voice lifting and dancing out in a rich baritone as he sang to the early light. Singing brought peace to his soul.
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Pie had grown so much so quickly these past few weeks, they sort of felt like a newborn colt discovering their legs for the first time. They became suddenly clumsy, often tripping over their own feet and taking tumbles. Their chin and elbows were littered in scabs. Yet Treepie always picked themself up, brushed themself off and carried on with an unstoppable smile.

They hadn’t fallen yet today, though it was still early. The youngster trotted along a familiar footpath, keen on fetching a drink from their favorite spring, where Pie swore the water was sweetest. They checked their speed but still managed to stumble a little on some uneven ground. They over-corrected and went careening into some nearby brush, which cushioned their fall.

Giggling, Tiuttuk climbed from the shrubbery and resumed walking along the path, though they hadn’t yet reached their destination when Alaric’s call rose on the mountainside. The young wolf froze in their tracks—very nearly tipping forward into a face plant—and listened to the notes for a few beats.

Pie then tipped their dark muzzle skyward, their youthful tenor weaving into Alaric’s baritones.
Common Tongue | Atkan Aleut | -Signing-

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Emprex*
600 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
All the children grew. And with each growth a new set of rules and ways to exist came about. As was the way growing pains.

Alaric heard another voice raising with his. A small smile on his face and whne his song finished. He went in search of the little treepie.
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Alaric’s song faded into silence. Tiuttuk added a footnote to their duet, then settled down onto their haunches right there on the path when they suddenly noticed a bunch of leaves and twigs stuck in their fur.

When he found them, they would still be plucking bits and bobs from their colorful pelt. Pie’s sunny eyes lifted at Alaric’s approach, their head soon following. They spat out a small branch and grinned at him, tail thumping.

By way of greeting, Treepie wanted to know, How come my voice was so much… They paused, trying to come up with the right word. They settled on, Brighter? Than yours.

They looked to him, hoping he understood what they were trying to say.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Emprex*
600 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
The last of the duet trilled and fell on perked ears. Alaric was excited to see the little one that had fast grown into his heart. As all the children of the spear did.

Do you need some help? Amusement laced his voice. It wasn't a bad thing to find oneself infused with babbles and bits.

He hmmmedDo you mean thr melody or the actual sound?

He would be better to answer them depending on what they wanted to know if it was his voice tone or the actual melody.
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Apparently “brighter” wasn’t specific enough. Alaric asked if they meant the melody or sound, which made the youngster’s head cant. What was the difference, they wondered?

I mean that yours sounded… Pie tried again, glancing around for inspiration. Remembering their original destination, they continued, Bigger. Deeper. Like a river. And mine was more like a little creek.

Moonspear
Emprex*
600 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
]

Alaric knew it would be a hard question. But he couldn't answer them correctly without it. Soon he realized what they meant and dipped his head.

Every singing voice has its on tone and range. Which means they all sound different. Some high, some low some inbetween. And when you put them together and you sing different parts it's called harmonizing and it sounds pretty awesome. Like you and me today.

He smiled then again. and your singing voice can be completely different than your talking voice. Some wolves can even change theirs a little.
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Treepie absorbed Alaric’s every word with rapt interest. It was a little difficult to grasp the concept, though they only needed to think back on their duet to make some sense of it. They wondered what caused the differences between wolves. Based on their frame of reference—today’s song, as well as their general experience conversing with various wolves on the mount—Tiuttuk could guess.

Don’t girls usually have lighter, softer voices? And boys have deeper ones? they questioned, their expression growing hopeful.

Not so long ago, Treepie had asked @Sialuk about babies. Pie now knew it required a male and female to produce offspring. They knew, too, what primary characteristics differentiated the two sexes. This distinction led to many questions for the little songbird, who happened to possess both those anatomies.

That led them to believe they could choose. And Pie already knew which one they desperately wanted to be.

Moonspear
Emprex*
600 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Alaric saw the rapt attention he was so used too from Treepie. They were such a good pup, seeking knowledge in all things. The bard adored them.

He nodded, but also frowned. But also not always sometimes depending on different things. Some wolves who are boys have higher voices and sometimes girls have deeper voices. It's all sort of luck and fate and you never really know what you're gonna get.
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
It wasn’t a hard and fast rule, per Alaric. Anyway, he’d said some wolves could alter their voices. Their face scrunched thoughtfully as they reflected on this. Their voice was naturally a bit higher, which suited their unspoken preference. Even if it hadn’t, though, Treepie could always choose to manually change their pitch.

They knew most wolves were born one sex. Tiuttuk had been given a special gift: the ability to choose. They could pick one or the other, both or neither. Their mother had tried her best to make them understand that. And they did, as much as someone their age could possibly grasp.

Did you know I have both boy parts and girl parts? Pie queried, unaware that the seeming non sequitur might throw Alaric.

Moonspear
Emprex*
600 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Alaric was unsure how to explain tone and pitch. Even he was no expert. He was just lifted with a good set of pipes and had utilized it. As egotistical as that seemed.

Alaric was thrown for a tailspin with Pie's next words, but outwardly he didn't show. Instead he smiled. He supposed he should have known Pie always had a different scent to them.

I didn't, but that makes you unique and awesome doesn't it.
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
They smiled at his reassurance. They did feel lucky, in a way. There was part of Pie that felt a little strange, being different from everybody else, but nobody seemed to make a big deal out of it. They hadn’t even properly noticed their differences until recently!

I think I know which one I want to be, they told him, but I want to think about it a little while, which was actually code for, I want to discuss it further with mama and probably consult Tiki too.

Moonspear
Emprex*
600 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Alaric wasn't sure if he was doing a good job. After all this knowledge was new. And he couldn't think of another he ever met with this sort of super power so he wasn't certain what to do.

Yea. Well you let me know when you're ready to tell me, deal?

He had faith Pie would tell him eventually. And if they never did well that was fine too.
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Okay, they agreed in a happy chirp.

They glanced around for a beat, suddenly remembering their bid for a drink. Pie needed it now more than ever. They enjoyed singing so much, though it taxed the throat.

Want to come with me to my favorite spring? Pie invited the councilor. Maybe after we have something to drink, we could sing another song. Maybe one with words?

They waved a paw before assuming all fours and breaking into a slow trot. Their two-toned tail waved as Treepie glanced over their shoulder and motioned at Alaric again. Facing forward, they managed to avoid any further accidents as they navigated to the waterside.

Moonspear
Emprex*
600 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Alaric felt his face warm and a smile stretch his maw. Bless these children on this spear. He loved them all.

Absolutely. Why is it your favorite?

He nodded. What type of song you wanna sing.

Alaric followed behind. Keeping a careful eye on the range youth as they grew bigger than they were used too and such proportions. He remembered those days and how terribly hard it had been to stay upright
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
It tastes the best, Treepie said as they settled beside the water’s edge and dipped down for a drink. Try it! they coaxed and began greedily lapping.

After slaking their thirst, Pie sat up and swiped a foreleg across their dripping mouth. They considered Alaric’s question. They decided they would like to learn something new today, if he had anything on offer.

Can you teach me a song? Something happy and… what’s the word… They set down their foot and stared off into space for several beats before remembering, Upbeat! Something I can sing to anaa to lift her spirits.

Moonspear
Emprex*
600 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
He bent his head to try it. The crystal notes of water, Pie wasn't lying. It was crisper and colder. He gave a happy sigh when he finished. That was good.

I absolutely can hmm. Alright I'll repeat the words and then we'll sing deal?

He hummed the melody first, then spoke toe words as many times as Pie needed to hear them. Then he broke into song. A few dance moves inbetween.

Wow, I feel good
I knew that I would now
I feel good
I knew that I would now
So good, so good, I got you
… Wow, I feel nice
Like sugar and spice
I feel nice
Like sugar and spice
So nice, so nice, I got you
… When I hold you in my arms
I know that I can do no wrong
And when I hold you in my arms
My love won't do you no harm
… And I feel nice
Like sugar and spice
I feel nice
Like sugar and spice
So nice, so nice, I got you
… When I hold you in my arms
I know that I can't do no wrong
And when I hold you in my arms
My love can't do me no harm
… And I feel nice
Like sugar and spice
I feel nice
Like sugar and spice
So nice, so nice, well I got you
… Wow, I feel good
I knew that I would now
I feel good
I knew that I would
So good, so good, 'cause I got you
… So good, so good, 'cause I got you
So good, so good, 'cause I got you
Hey

song is James Brown I feel good
Moonspear
Babe
128 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Not only did Alaric sing, he danced. Treepie’s eyes glimmered in delight as they watched him shake and groove. They joined in both the singing and busting a move, although both were often disrupted as they doubled over in childish laughter.

Thanks, Alaric, I’m gonna go sing this to anaa! Pie eventually declared.

They gave him a quick hug before scampering off to serenade Sialuk while the words were still fresh. Even if the lyrics didn’t lift her spirits, surely Tiuttuk’s silly dancing would do the trick.