Silver Creek hand-me-down dreams
49 Posts
Ooc — Sophie
I actually do want to wrap this up due to the age of the thread and not having referenced it in any subsequent threads.  Nothing personal, I'd totally be open to a future thread with you in future! <3

Tehama was not a flighty creature, given to abrupt comings and goings, nor typically was she easily startled.  What she was, however, was sensible and intuitive.  She had learned enough over the years, often through trial and error, to know now when to listen to her gut.  Something in this present moment was fundamentally unnerving to her, or perhaps it was more accurate to state that there were multiple such somethings.  The creek was rushing too fast.  The rain made the moss rocks lining its banks treacherously slippery.  The same precipitation was a distraction, faintly impairing the she-wolf's vision, and heavily dampening scent and sound.  All of these were hazards, and the presence of a large stranger eyeing her was the greatest hazard still.  

He made no overt move towards her.  And yet the sight of him, captured in her peripheral vision, reminded her of something--some specific memory.  She couldn't quite place it--not yet.  Then his tail wagged slowly.  To the woman, it seemed eerie.  When she realized what the body language reminded her of, the lady nearly bit her tongue to keep from making a sound of recognition.  As a yearling she had often helped teach her younger siblings the basics of hunting, and they had just such a look when they crept upon some unsuspecting rodent or grasshopper or frog.  The sharp gaze, alert posture, and tail swaying slightly, caught between play and the thrill of the hunt.

Tehama's stomach somersaulted violently.  She was too vulnerable.  There was a chance the other wolf meant nothing untoward at all.  But the lady traveler decided then and there that she would not stay and find out.  Like the deer ensnared in the gaze of the hunting wolf, Te remained momentarily frozen.

After a moment drawn longer by her heightened anxiety, Te backed up slowly from the rushing water.  She kept the large beast locked in her icewater gaze for fear that if she did not, he would rush forward at her.  Silently thanking her petite form for the speed it provided, the young woman chose a trail away from the creek that was overgrown with thick brush and ferns.  It ought to slow him down if he pursued.

The silver-kissed woman bolted, more doe than wolf.
Messages In This Thread
hand-me-down dreams - by Tehama - August 29, 2020, 08:16 PM
RE: hand-me-down dreams - by Piety - September 09, 2020, 06:15 PM
RE: hand-me-down dreams - by Tehama - September 10, 2020, 10:40 AM
RE: hand-me-down dreams - by Piety - October 17, 2020, 04:51 PM
RE: hand-me-down dreams - by Tehama - October 19, 2020, 01:59 PM
RE: hand-me-down dreams - by Piety - October 19, 2020, 05:13 PM