Ouroboros Spine hourglass
Moonglow
Delta
78 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
All Welcome 
All welcome. Maybe a @Kukutux if you have time? <3

Just as grains of sand fall through the hourglass, time marched onwards. A child still missing. A moon daughter still dead, and not without the company of another in eternal rest. Some new faces are seen in passing. The sun man was away.

Nonetheless, Moonglow toiled through each passing day. Persevering through the loss, grief, and anger.

Today Kyrell held a stoat in his jaws. The creature lifeless but with little wear upon its hide. His own lip, on the other paw, split and swollen where the willful creature retaliated. A valiant effort on its part, but Kyrell was victorious in the end.

The woodsman lingered at the edge of the Aumauttuk Grove. The gathering place by Anik Lake within his sight. He had a tendency to linger there; more often when the day's work had finished and the hides were left to soak. Ever watchful, he did what he could to observe the curing techniques from afar. Now, he just needed guidance and a chance to practice.
Moonglow
Pi
my mind turns your life into folklore
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Snagging with permission! <3

Nantahala hadn't been as successful as Kyrell in her hunting endeavors. She'd spent most of the afternoon hunting, had perused several prey animals, and only had her dirtied fur to show for it. She trudged slowly through the grove towards the lake, feeling disheartened after her unsuccessful day. As she rounded the last corner before the gathering place and lake came into sight, she found her packmate there with a stoat in his mouth; she was both impressed and envious of his success. 

While she'd never seen him before, she'd smelled him around Moonglow, and knew that he was not a stranger. So, with this in mind, she approached him with a smile and a wagging tail. A STOAT!!! with wonder, she noticed his tagged ears, her eyes lingering for a moment too long before returning to his catch. How'd you catch it??? Silently, she wondered if his ears had anything to do with his success.
Moonglow
Delta
78 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
A little girl clad in soft blond hues was quick to make herself known during his quiet contemplation. Wide eyes on his prize and a wealth of puppy excitement on display. Kyrell couldn't fight the amusement that pulled at the corners of his lips. A smile of his own (an awkward one considering the mouthful he currently had). Kyrell set the stoat on the forest floor, tongue swiping the crimson away from the small laceration on his lip.

Well hello there, little mite! He offered the girl a friendly wave of his tail. A darkened paw lifted to hover over the limp creature. I found this guy in an old stump. It was a bit of a battle to get this guy out of there.

Kyrell paused to glance over the girl, trying and failing to place who she belonged to. He had seen her in passing, but Kyrell did not spend his time among Moonglow's children.

I don't mind telling you more about them, but can I have your name, kid? Mine's Kyrell.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
She'd never been referred to as a "mite" before, and she tilted her head at the strange word. What's a mite? she asked. 

He went on to explain how he'd caught the stoat, and it was then that she realized that he might've gotten hurt. Her expression softened as she fixated on his injury, and her ears flattened. Are you okay?? she fretted as her ears flattened. I can go and get my grandmom, and maybe she can help you!! While it didn't seem his injuries were too bad, she wanted to help if she was able to. 

He then asked for her name, and she quickly answered, I'm Nantahala! It's nice to meet you, Mr. Kyrell!!
Moonglow
Delta
78 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
Mites are incredibly small bugs. They're very hard to see. Some can turn your ears into a home, but if you keep your bedding and yourself clean you should be okay.

Her attention turned to his lip. He raised his paw to the wound, the skin inflamed. His gaze briefly flicked to his pad to see it stained. Perhaps dismissing Nantahala's offer outright would be unwise, but there were things he could do first.

It's not so bad, but it could use a wash. He flashed the girl a smile, hoping to reassure her. How about we go down by the lake? I'll rinse this out and hopefully we won't need Kukutux's help.

Kyrell bent down to grasp the stoat. His gaze turned to Nantahala, gesturing towards the gathering place by the lake. He waited a moment to see if the girl would follow him before striding toward the water.
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Nantahala's reaction to the term "mite" was one of repulsion, as she frowned intensely, glared unhappily at Kyrell, and let out a heavy sigh. I am not a bug, she countered; she would've crossed her arms if she were able to. Especially a one that lives in ears!! Gross! 

Without a word, she mentally logged him in her collection of those who had done her wrong—because how dare he call her a "mite"!

[Image: giphy.webp]

Despite her abrupt change in attitude towards him, she found herself unable to abandon him at that moment. So, reluctantly, she pushed aside her disdain and followed after him. Okay, she said as she pulled alongside him and offered, I can help you clean it up.
Moonglow
Delta
78 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
Oh the pout on her face! If looks could kill he'd have been a dead man. It certainly prevented him from following up with, "Oh but you're so small!"

No, you're certainly not a mite, he found himself agreeing with the girl, in hopes to pacify her. No, he wasn't in the habit of messing with children more than a gentle tease. And this time he certainly caused that frown. I'm sorry to have upset you.

Kyrell winced as he moved towards the lake with the fuming girl. He kept quiet as he set his stoat down on the bank and crouched by the edge of the water. Taking a breath, he submerged his muzzle and flinch a the cool water splashed across his face. Still, he scrubbed the wound with a paw until the stinging subsided. Sitting up from the water, he glanced over to Nantahala. With a smile he tipped his muzzle towards her, See? It's already better.

He rested a paw in the stoat, hoping to lighten her mood by engaging the animal that caught her interest in the first place. Enough about me. Did you know what makes stoats special despite their temper?
Moonglow
Pi
120 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Slowly, she came around, her frown lessening as she accepted his apology. But even though she’d forgive, she would never forget. It’s okay—thanks for saying you’re sorry. I just really really don’t like bugs! They’d always creeped her out! They were so gross, and icky, and—UGH! She didn’t even want to think about them for another second!

When they arrived to the lake Kyrell dunked his head, and Nantahala watched. While it wasn’t the most sophisticated way of cleaning his wounds, she supposed that it’d do—especially with how clean it looked when he reemerged. It does look better, she agreed. Do you want me to find something to wrap it up? So we can keep it clean?

Then, they got to the part that she’d been waiting for—the hunting talk! She shook her head and asked, No, what makes them special?
Moonglow
Delta
78 Posts
Ooc — Squeaks
Kyrell waved a paw at the offer for a wrap. He would seek out Kukutux if it festered. Instead, he emphasized the stoat by displaying it for the girl. Straightening the length of its body for her to see the rich, chestnut tones of its summer coat. See its brown fur? In the wintertime stoats change color. All this brown fur goes away until it's as white as snow. All except for the tail tip. Kyrell pointed to the black tipped tail with a claw. If i had caught this guy in the fall here, I might have caught him in the middle of his coat change!

Kyrell paused, emerald eyes flicking up to Nantahala to gauge the girl's interest. When their coat is white it is called 'ermine.' Stoats are not the only animals that change their appearance for winter.