Stavanger Bay hiding out
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
set during the pack's hideout in the caves on the east cliffs of the territory last week. :)

While they were safe for now, Charon worried a lot. He'd always been particularly carefree about his life, never putting too much stock into anything. Even becoming a Beta had been something he'd decided he wanted on a whim; not because he had any idea of what it would mean, but because he thought himself awesome and felt that a leadership position was therefore suiting for him. This was the first time that he realised what holding it actually meant for him -- what responsibilities it brought.

Charon sat near the exit to the caves that he'd found on the western cliffs. He hadn't really gone there on purpose -- he'd just kept running until he had found somewhere for them to hide, and this was the place he had found for them. He stared outside, over the trees towards the skies. They looked dark and angry, and in the distance he saw the thunder crash down onto the lands. Charon hoped that it would not hit anywhere in the territory or cause any more fires. Although with the rain that was crashing down on the lands right now, Charon wondered if fires would grab a hold of the lands at all. Seeing the fire on the beach was one of the reasons that he had run here, and hadn't sought shelter underground in the woods anywhere. It was too risky; they'd die if a fire would get hold of the forest. Here, they were safe, even if their territory would go up in flames -- hopefully it would hold strong, though, as Charon had no appetite for a forced move.

Charon's ears flattened as thunder struck not far from where he stood, and he shrank against the cave's entrance, pressing himself instinctively closer to the ground and against the rocky cave's entrance. He looked over his shoulder to see if anyone else was awake to share his company.
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle had followed behind Charon like a beaten woman. She had not tried to take charge, had not tried to do anything. She had simply followed like a blind sheep. She wasn't sure what was going on with her, but she did know it wasn't right. There was something broken inside, and she didn't know how to fix it, put the pieces back together. She was losing so many, her husband, her child, her friend. And now, now she may have lost those she had loved that were still living, by her own self inflicted solitary confinement. For weeks nightmares and sleep walks had plagued her, for weeks she had existed just to exist. Tracing the borders, caring for her children or at least trying, but she had been absent even while doing that at times.

It was with trepidation she woke and looked about, towards the cave entrance. Charon stood there ever vigilante. She watched as he hugged the earth, and she warred between going towards him and staying quiet. Finally, her mothers heart won and she tip toed forward and sat down gently. She had forgotten that despite acting older, he was still very young, and she was still the motherly figure, even if she had forgotten how to be recently. She could try a gain couldn't she? Maybe he would be angry and lash out, but really it was only what she deserved. She just hoped they could move past it. For finally, months after the fact, her mind was clear and her eyes too.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
It was hard for Charon to see Thistle go downhill like she did. He would've called any other wolf out on it, if they were his leaders: he would've easily taken control and challenged rank to any other wolf. Maybe even Ragnar, had it been him, had he still been alive. But not Thistle Cloud: she was like a mother to him, and he was one of few wolves -- among which Osprey, if she was even still alive out there somewhere and Levi too -- for whom he held a soft spot, and of whom he could take a lot more than most others. Charon was an arrogant brat at times, but never to Thistle. He just wasn't sure what to do, other than assist her in her duties and try to pile as many of them on his shoulders as he could, so that she would be relieved of them.

Unfortunately, he couldn't take her share of the grief on his shoulders. That was a process she needed to deal with alone.

Charon quickly sat up straight when Thistle arrived by his side, not wanting to look like a baby who was scared of the thunder. While the Naturalist in him was interested by this magnificent roar of nature, and the aesthetic in him enjoyed the pictures it painted on the sky, there was something frightening about the tremendous roaring of the skies, as if the world was coming to an end. Charon looked at Thistle and said, "D'you think it's the Gods that're angry at us, or is it really just nature doing it's thing?" The Naturalist in him wanted to believe that it was just nature, but something so magnificent almost had to be created by a greater power (and it was one of the first times Charon actually considered the Gods might exist).
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
[quote='Charon' pid='128280' dateline='1438631367']

Thistle had thought little of how her misery would make other's feel. She thought of it now, how she had been rather cruel to them well trying to get through her own grief. It had gone unnoticed until recently how very much the youth before her had taken up the mantle. How much responsibility he shouldered. There was no denying that Ragnar would have been proud had he been alive.

Thistle mulled over his questions trying to come up with the correct answer for him. I think perhaps it could be a bit of both. And they may not be mad at us, but someone else. And I also think that it is something that needs done. We need the rain to grow the plants that help us live and it's coming in ugly, but it will go out quietly and the world will be fresh and new in a way. It's a cleansing. A very scary cleansing, but a cleansing.

Thistle didn't say anything else at first. Then she looked at the freckle faced child in front of her and spoke softly, You have done well getting us this far Charon. And I am sorry that I have been worthless as of late. I am going to do better. Thistle grew quiet, saying more than she had wished to at once.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon listened attentively as Thistle Cloud took the time to answer his questions. He wondered if she knew what she was talking about regarding the Gods. They seemed ungraspable and unfair to Charon: Ragnar had given his own eye to salvage his pack, but instead its numbers had dwindled and he had died. Didn't seem fair to Charon.

He wondered if it was really a cleansing. It seemed mostly destructive so far. However, it made sense in a way: "I guess that nature cleanses the weak factors, too," he said. "Like us if we hadn't been quick and smart enough to get a move on." He looked at Thistle, wondering if she thought the same or if she had a different view.

Meanwhile another flash of thunder, soon followed by a harsh and loud crash, followed. Charon flinched, but he managed not to duck away like before.

Thistle admitted she had not been doing a good job and that she'd do better. Charon wasn't sure what to say -- he didn't say anything, at first. Then he turned to look at her and said: "Good." He looked neutral, almost stoic -- unusual for him -- because he didn't know how to act or hold himself in the situation. He'd have thrown any other wolf off their throne if they were as absent as Thistle... But not her.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
If Charon had asked Thistle would not have lied. She too struggled with the gods lately. With the idea of them. There had been a time when she had believed in nothign really. Knew there was something out there, there had to be. Now she sort of wished for that naivety again, wanting to know there was something out there, but not pray to them. Because when they had a name and a face, she could get angry and anger at gods she was told was never a good thing.

Thistle nodded, It does. You will see in the end there will be much destruction, but it will be beautiful and clean as it grows anew. I just wish it wasn't so scary. She shuddered, she was not below admitting she was scared, the loud noises the brightness, it really was a scary thing.

Thistle chuckled as his grown up face. You grew up well Charon. And I am proud of you. That was all she said. She was fine with talking of lighter things, or just sitting in the dark and watching nature destroy what they had built.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon couldn't really imagine at that point how this could be for the better, how it could deliver him a fresh start with nature starting anew. He wondered how big landmarks nature could destroy, what it would take from the wolves of Stavanger Bay. Charon looked at Thistle Cloud briefly, before his attention was drawn to the magnificent flashes filling the darkened skies outside.

The subject changed, though it wasn't entirely lighter subjects. Charon was reminded with the term 'growing up' of all that he had lost. All the things and wolves that should've been with him but weren't right now. He glanced over his shoulder at Levi and let out a sigh. He was glad that she was proud of him, though, and at least all the tragedy had given him his position as Beta in the pack. "Thanks," Charon said and he looked at Thistle, forcing a smile on his face.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle wasn't sure what was in store for them now. She wasn't even sure where they would go from here, and if they could survive. Thus far the Gods, and nature had taken so much she didn't know what she had left to give other than the remaining few of her family, and her own blood and bones. It was disheartening to say the least, and she wasn't sure what to think about it.

Thistle chuckled quietly, and spoke softly, A bit of advice Charon. No matter how old you are, you can still take the time to play. It keeps you lighter of heart, and happy. I have forgotten that for a bit, but I am determined to remember it again. We will persevere, this is just a set back. She briefly thought of bringing to moving from the bay, but her heart hurt to think of it. Her husband's bones were here, he had found this place, loved it, cultivated it. To leave that behind she wasn't sure if she could, but frankly she did need to think about it, because if nature damaged the bay too much, they would have nothing to do but leave.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
While Charon thought it a ridiculous advice at first, he realised moments later that he had been so engulfed in the game of being a Beta that he sometimes did forget to play. He used to love playing, and as she said it, he realised how much he missed just being a child. He had everything he wanted (well, nearly everything) when storms weren't terrorising his pack, and yet he felt strangely unsatisfied. What was missing? Was it really something that could be solved with mere play?

"We will," Charon said, determined the pack would make it eventually. They would get more members and they would flourish, he was certain of it. "I hope I'll find whatever's missing." After saying it, Charon realised that he was talking about things he'd only said in his head, not out loud, and shook his head, grinning and saying, "Never mind.", while another clap of thunder outlined his face.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle knew that he may not believe her at first, but he needed to act like a child sometimes. Even she herself would play when the occasion called for it. Which speaking of, she hadn't in a while and she needed to fix that. Her poor children were probably lacking that certain skill, because she hadn't played. She had been a terrible mother for both her broods. She just hoped that this time, she could fix it in time.

Thistle nudged him. It's okay Charon. What do you think is missing? Thistle wasn't very sure, but she didn't think he meant something was actually missing. More like an important piece of himself was missing. She could believe that, the young wolf had not had an easy go of it, thus far. He had been given a short straw from the get go. Poor fellow and Thistle hadn't helped.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon froze when Thistle asked him what he thought was missing, even though he'd clearly said 'never mind'. Even if he would have known how to describe what he felt was missing, Charon wasn't the type of touchy-feely wolf to talk about how he felt and he hated to admit to weakness, so odds were very slim that he'd talk about it. The only times that Charon really spoke about his feelings and sad things were when he thought that it would make others like him -- or feel sympathetic towards him, at the very least.

"I don't know," he lied, because he didn't want to pursue the topic. "I don't know what I was on about." Charon smiled a broken smile towards his adoptive mother and then turned to look at the sky, where another lightning bolt struck down to the earth. In the grand scheme of things, he could imagine that a wolf might feel like a tiny speck upon the earth when watching nature's shows like these.

want to fade soon? :)
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Sure Last post from Thistle.

Thistle sighed and nodded her head. Sometimes she wasn't sure if she hadn't spoiled Charon, letting him get a head of himself. Perhaps if she had been there more often, had helped him more he would speak more. But he didn't and she felt that guilt lie with her. She nodded her head and settled to her stomach and laid her head across her paws and just simply watched the lightning dance across the sky. It was beautiful there was no denying that.

For a brief moment longing lashed up inside her for Ragnar, but she kept that to herself. No, it was time to let his memory rest. Though she loved him, would always love him, missed him again would always miss him. It was time to start living again.