Stavanger Bay reach for the light
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
@Thistle Cloud @Atreyu @Saskia @Floki @Kaylan (i assume this takes place right after our thread, Kim, so i went ahead and pp'ed Flóki being with Charon :) )

"C'mon, let's tell everyone else 'bout the news," Charon said, Flóki by his side. There was energy in his steps, even though his movements were still stiff and the gashes on his right shoulder and back, as well as small wounds across the rest of his body, were still wearing him down physically. Mentally, though, Charon couldn't be broken; he felt as good as he ever had. Accompanied by his brother, he crossed the borders into Stavanger Bay territory. "Howl with me," Charon said to Flóki when they reached the first clearing in the forest. While most of the ashes had been blown away from a small fire that had created this clearing, the damage the storm had done was still very visible here. Charon hadn't chosen this place for that reason (he'd chosen this place simply because it was the first clearing he ran into after crossing into Stavanger Bay territory) but it was a good illustration of why they had need to move on, no matter how they all loved the Bay, anyway.

The yearling lifted his nose into the air and closed his eyes while he summoned the rest of the pack there, and he assumed Flóki to do the same. His brother had found him, after all, upon his return home; his dilligent searching in Charon's absence had not been in vain. While he was filled with optimism, there was one wolf on his mind specifically while he waited for the rest of the pack to gather: Thistle Cloud. She had always been Alpha in his lifetime, and she still was. Charon didn't know what he'd do if she said no. He'd told Ame full of confidence that his mother would want what was best for the pack, that she needed a break from leading anyway. He did believe that she would make that decision, but there was a small part of him that still worried for the scenario where she would refuse to. However, Charon decided to stay positive - he'd worry about scenarios when they arose, whatever. And so he pushed the topic from his mind and pressed his chest forward, sitting proudly in the fire-created clearing, and he waited for his wolves to gather.
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
Floki's excitement increased the closer he and his brother got to Stavanger Bay. It felt good to be back with Charon, and he couldn't help but feel immensely proud that he was the one to bring Charon home. In addition, the young Beta had confided in Floki, sharing his plans to merge their pack with Amekaze's. Floki knew little about diplomacy or interpack relations, but as a wolf, he did know that their dwindling numbers meant danger as winter drew nearer.

He looked to Charon with surprise when it was suggested that he howl with him, but wasted no time in tipping back his chin and parting his lips. His thin, youthful call was not as robust as Charon's; however, that didn't stop him from pouring his heart into his message. He hoped that the rest of the pack would be quick to respond. Surely they would come running when they realized that Charon was back, and then they could begin the task of searching for a new home.
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Atreyu did indeed come running at Charon and Floki's call — as fast he could run, anyway. The second he recognised the Beta's howl, he had scrambled to his feet, stumbling over his own legs as he brain urged him to get up and run to greet the returned Beta. Questions flooded his mind and he felt a mixture of relief and anger (at both Charon for disappearing but also to whoever or whatever had kept him from the pack). He avoided dwelling on them, however, until he reached the two wolves. Floki's youthful howl had intertwined with Charon's own, and neither seemed panicked nor urgent.

When he finally arrived at the clearing, Atreyu skidded to a halt to assess the Beta and his younger brother. Floki seemed fine — happy, even — but then his eyes instantly drifted to the scars that marred the freckled boy's side, and he released a concerned whine before rushing forward to nuzzle Charon's neck. He was gentle, minding the wounds, though nipped at the boy's ear quickly and growled. "What happened? Where were you?" Despite his demanding tone, the wave of his tail was evidence of how relieved he was to see the kid again.
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle heard the howl and with a howl in return she raced towards her sons. She skidded to a halt and sniffed them both over. While speaking fast and furiously. Where have you two been? And you Charon look at you you're a mess. Goodness gracious,  I was so worried. What is going on? Well done Floki, but really Charon why did you go off like that.

Though she was anxious and breathless her tail wagged with her words. She was so happy to see him healthy and whole, well sort of whole. The wounds bothered her, but it was nothing for the uproarious joy that lifted her heart to see him so well. And she had worried for Floki being gone, but here they both were and her heart was overjoyed.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
@Saskia feel free to pop in at any time! :)

Atreyu was first to limp into view, and the three-legged wolf was a sight for sore eyes. Even though he was part of what made the pack weaker right now (Charon had no idea if in time he'd be able to move as fast as a normal wolf, or if he'd always be slower in the hunt), there were no words to describe how much Charon appreciated Atreyu's loyalty to Stavanger Bay. Even after losing his leg to protect its pups Atreyu had returned, and a smile danced on Charon's face as he thought about how happy he was to have Atreyu here for this new beginning. Atreyu demanded to know what had happened, but before Charon could respond to that, Thistle came into view.

For the first time, really, Charon wondered what she would think of their idea. Would she like it? Would she hate it? Would she... veto it? He couldn't imagine the last bit. Thistle'd want what was best for the pack too, even if it would mean taking a step back. And maybe taking a step back would mean she could appreciate pack life more. His heart was filled with love for his guardian and adoptive mother, but he felt that it was time for him to take over the Alpha stick now.

Even though Saskia wasn't here -- he really wanted her to be there, too -- and much to his dismay, his brother, his rock through his entire life, one of few consistent things as he grew up, Levi, wasn't there either. Neither were Aesop, Kaylan or Ragna. Were they gone altogether, or just running late..? Hopefully they would join him later. "I was just exploring along the mountain ridge south of Horizon Ridge when I ran into Blacktail Deer Plateau's Alpha. I was angry that he didn't do anything to find Osprey back, and he attacked me when I told him that. So we fought." Charon sounded cool as he said this, not letting anyone see if he had emotions in regards to this all, even though he had plenty. His pride had been smashed, but he decided to tell the story without Dante as victor. It was easier that way. "I was close to the Sunspire and found refuge there with Amekaze, who helped me rest and get healthy enough for the trip back."

An apology for worrying them dancing upon his tongue, but Charon didn't let it out. Saying sorry wasn't exactly his strong suit. "The Sunspire is small too, and Amekaze is a great wolf. We decided that it's best for the survival of both our packs to merge together and form one pack, somewhere new. We need to think of winter's approach and go somewhere healthy, with plenty of food, and enough wolves. The Bay needs time to heal... And it's taking longer than I thought it would, so it's time to move on." He was perhaps a Naturalist, but he was also a yearling -- in his view, things grew really fast, but as time had progressed and the Bay's eastern half was still a mess of open tidepools, and the patches in the forest -- such as the one they sat upon now -- that had been burned remained burned. Rebuilding the Bay would take time. He wanted something new, something healthy.

He looked at Thistle Cloud particularly, wondering what she would think of his idea. He had not even considered her rejecting the plan before now. She knew that she could no longer be Alpha if they went through with this plan. Charon had decided this for her when he stood in front of Amekaze, figuring she'd go through with the plan, but what if she didn't?
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
I am sorry for Thistle's reaction I am trying to get some of her spitfire and sass back and before Ragnar's death this would have been her reaction, possibly even worse.And @Atreyu I apologize for skipping you, but I honestly can't see Thistle taking that without replying before everyone else. I hope that's okay. If you prefer I can change it and you can reply first.

Thistle knew that others were bothered by Atreyu's limp, his missing leg. She however wasn't it proved to her how loyal he was, and despite his limitations, he was doing well for himself and them. There was nothing she wouldn't do for him and the others. And she hoped that they realized this.

Thistle didn't quite know how to take his words as they tumbled out. The alpha of Blacktail Deer, was that not Dante? She had thought she had met him once before, and he had been kind enough? Why would they fight. Osprey was missing? Thistle lowered her ears to her skull, she had liked Osprey counted her a friend. It saddened her to know she was missing, possibly gone. The fires took far too many. Thistle didn't know this Amekaze, but as she listened she realized this must be the alphess of this pack he was talking of. She briefly wondered if Ragnar had known her. She mentally cursed herself for not asking him of his outriding missions before he passed.

Thistle stared at him and splayed her ears on either side of her head. She  lifted her head, her tail snapping up to her back. Though there was no denying that this would be best for them, and there was no denying she was tired of being alphess. The fact that he decided to choose for her, make a decision for her, not even Ragnar had done that even he knew better than that. No one told Thistle Cloud Lodbruk what she was to do and not to do, no one. 

Before I give my decision Charon. What gives you the right to make a decision for me? Not even Ragnar made decisions for me. Our's is an equal partnership and you should have asked me before giving your answer. I do not appreciate being shunted aside in such a manner. I know I have made mistakes and I know i have messed up, but frankly I am still an alphess, and I still have a say in most matters. You also assumed much thinking that I would be willing to step down, and I am not saying I won't, but I deserved the courtesy of you asking me before you made that choice for me.

The hair rose along Thistle's back and she snorted softly. She turned away for a moment to collect her thoughts. Settling to her haunches she looked to the ground. Very well. Atreyu if you are still willing to listen to me, please gather those few we have left. Charon I want to gather my herb stock carry it with me, there is not much left, but there is some. Then you can lead the way. With that she turned away from them both and started walking away. She would listen if they had something to say, but she would not be yelled at if they decided to yell. They would be met with righteous anger. She was upset and disappointed that someone made a decision for her, even if it was the best decision. She would have liked to have been asked.
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
Atreyu and Thistle Cloud were both quick to respond to Charon's call. They expressed their relief and concern, briefly fretting over Charon and his injuries. Floki pressed his lips together to keep himself from blurting out their secret plans, his bright eyes darting between the adults. He hoped that Charon wouldn't keep them waiting, and he was soon rewarded as the freckled Beta launched into his explanation.

Floki listened attentively to the story that he had already heard. His hackles bristled at the mention of Dante, though he relaxed slightly when Amekaze's name came up. He watched Thistle Cloud nervously, anticipating her reaction as Charon reached his point -- that he and Amekaze planned to merge their packs together and move somewhere new.

He hadn't anticipated the anger that was evident on his mother's face. Her expression darkened and she wasted no time in reprimanding Charon. Floki's ears tilted uncertainly to the side and he shrank away from her, although she wasn't necessarily addressing him. He didn't understand why she was frustrated; wouldn't Charon's idea benefit the entirety of the pack? Even he could tell that they were struggling in their damaged territory and with such small numbers. At the end of it all, Thistle Cloud seemed to relent, instructing both Atreyu and Charon to help her prepare for the move. Floki remained by Charon's side, shifting his gaze up to his brother as he waited for his new leader's next move.
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
No problem, Danni! Pack meetings generally don't have a posting order anyway, I think, haha, and hurray for drama! ;D

Thistle was next to arrive, and Atreyu greeted her with a respectful nod, keeping an eye out for Aesop and Saskia and the rest. They did not appear, however, and, while it was perfectly reasonable that they were taking their time to get to the meeting place, Atreyu couldn't help but wonder if this truly was what was left of their pack. He glanced over Charon and Floki with a saddened gaze, before focusing back on the Beta as he began to explain his absence.

He knew of the name Osprey, vaguely recalling a grey-furred female who he had met out exploring once. His brows fell as Charon told how she had gone missing, and that her own Alpha hadn't even attempted to find her, and then had the nerve to attack Charon. Dante sounded like a dick. Thankfully, a wolf of the Sunspire (wherever that was) had taken the injured Beta in. If his cleaned wounds were anything to go by, this Amekaze was an experienced healer.

Atreyu's relieved smile at Charon's explanation, however, was replaced with a blank, dumfounded look as he then continued to speak. A merge? With a pack he had only just found? Sure, it was great that Amekaze had helped him but that certainly wasn't enough to place their trust in them to combine their packs. He had a point about the sorry state of the Bay and the approach of winter but Atreyu quickly gave into his more paranoid side, anxious about these wolves, even if they too were small in number.

He opened his mouth to object but Thistle beat him to it, pitching in with her own opinion and show of dominance. He let her speak, allowing her to put her adopted son in his place for so readily assuming they would go without a fuss. The boy glanced to Floki who remained silent, cowering at his mother's outburst. He couldn't help but glare slightly — did the pup agree to this? He turned to Thistle as she mentioned his name, but he did not relent just yet.

With a raised tail, he flashed his fangs at the Beta. "What the hell? Stavanger Bay is our home, we can't just abandon it!" he exclaimed with a growl. "Get them to come here; the Bay still has plenty of resources, it isn't completely damaged." While the eastern side of the territory and some of the forest were in ruins, it was still a wonderful place. It didn't help that Atreyu had grew up beside the sea and had a certain attachment to it. He couldn't think of living somewhere away from it. "And Thistle's right, did you just make this decision for us? We get no input on this?"
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
yeah, there's no real posting order anyway as it's a meeting :-) thanks for the quick replies guys <33 Charon's thoughts in no way reflect my own! <3

Charon hadn't really expected anyone to speak against him. He had expected Thistle Cloud to just nod and smile a watery, sad smile that signified how badly it was time for her to step down from her position. He'd expected Atreyu to go along with her because he always went along with whatever Thistle picked (and while Charon disagreed that her decisions had been sound lately, he admired and appreciated Atreyu's loyalty for it). The yearling's tail twitched in irritation as they spoke against him, feeling that it was totally unfair that he got all this shit.

The yearling was torn between snippily asking them what they thought the pack should do or just telling them that things were as he'd said and there was no arguing. However, before he needed to make a decision on it, Thistle Cloud asked Atreyu to gather what wolves they had left and told Charon to carry the herbs with her. Atreyu spluttered some protests, but Charon felt that the battle was fought with convincing his adoptive mother that this was for the best.

"I'll help carry our stocks when the time comes. We need to find the best territory first," he told Thistle Cloud. "Amekaze and her wolves will probably come over this way soon, and then we can move." He decided to leave out Amekaze's penchant for mountains, because it would only complicate the matter further.

The words 'I'm sorry' lay on the tip of Charon's tongue, but he couldn't say them. He wasn't sorry, so saying he was would only be a lie to make his wolves feel a bit better. He didn't want to make them feel better because of a fabricated lie; he wanted to make them feel better by making them see that he was right all along.

Thistle Cloud turned around and departed then, probably angry at... well, he wasn't sure what. He didn't really get why she picked this specific time to become sassy and decide she had an opinion. What he didn't get most of all was that she seemed to understand that this was best for the pack and yet she was still pissed off at him for it. Wasn't this what she wanted, too? Charon contemplated storming off after his adoptive mother, but then he decided against it, as it would be kind of weird for Atreyu and Flóki. So instead he decided to stay. With Flóki by his side, he felt strong to argue against any misgivings his wolves might have. He was their leader, and so it was his responsibility to lead them and to be strong and make the best decisions for everyone, even if they didn't know it.

"Look, I know how you feel about the Bay," Charon said as he looked at Atreyu, his voice a little less announcement-y now. "But it wouldn't be fair to expect Ame and her wolves to settle into this half-broken territory just because we're attached to it. That'd be like them asking us to come over to their mountain. That's why I decided it'd be better to find a new territory where we can all live. Y'know... Start on even grounds and all?" He hoped that Atreyu would understand that, at least. If only there were better oceanside places to live, Charon thought wistfully; he would pick one if he could, since he had grown up in the Bay and it hurt him as much as Atreyu to leave it behind. But he needed to be strong and think logically, for himself as well as his wolves, and not let his feelings meddle in too much.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle continued walking away, fuming. How dare he make decisions for her. She knew it was best for the pack, she wasn't arguing with that. What she was upset with was simply that he had chosen to decide what was best for her, and not give her a say. He had not right ot do that. Not only was she older, she was also a higher rank. Just because she was grief stricken and anxious, didn't mean a damn thing. She was still the alpha and he had decided for her, that not only would she step down from her position, but that she would go without a fuss. How incredibly juvenile and downright rude. She didn't know if she could forgive him for this.

She was glad that Atreyu was putting him in his place. For a moment regretting making him beta, perhaps Atreyu would have been the better choice. But she hadn't wished to burden him, and Charon wanted the position so badly. Perhaps that was a bad decision on her part. She sighed and shook her head, stomping towards the healers den. Even if they weren't ready to leave, she found she didn't want company at the moment.
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
Floki's ears only splayed further at Atreyu's heated tone. But then he grew indignant, resenting his packmates' reactions to Charon's news.  He couldn't quite explain the feeling, but his hackles bristled slightly and he stood up a little straighter next to Charon. He would stand by his brother, even if Atreyu and Thistle Cloud wouldn't.

He shifted his gaze to Atreyu as Charon addressed him, his voice taking on a more colloquial tone. Whatever Atreyu's feelings were on the delivery of the news, he had to agree with what Charon said -- it made sense to start fresh somewhere, away from the damaged Stavanger Bay, and to bolster their ranks with Amekaze's wolves. He watched the older wolf carefully, waiting for his response.
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Thistle stormed off, and rightly so. Atreyu glanced over his shoulder as she left, watching her leave with a pleased gaze that quickly steeled as he turned back to the two brothers. She was Alpha and, despite if Charon thought this was best for the pack, he should have consulted her first. She was the one who was meant to make these decisions, not her son. Atreyu didn't take into account her mental state and how likely it would affect her decisions, instead remaining steadfastly loyal to the Alpha.

When Charon addressed him, he kept his tail raised and eyes narrowed. He felt a tinge of offence at the words half-broken in regards to their bay, even though he knew deep down that this was true. It would take a while for the forests to regrow, and it wasn't fair to assume these foreign wolves would happily adjust to living by the bay. Seafood was...an acquired taste, after all.

Still, Atreyu didn't back down, nor did he let his temper settle. He moved forward, aiming to draw himself to his full height just as Floki did. He spared a flaring glance at the pup, as if daring him to try anything, before looking back to his big brother. Too bad he wasn't small anymore, where Atreyu could easily intimidate him by standing over him. Instead, they stood almost equal now and, despite both having injuries, Charon still had the upper hand physically. "And exactly what sort of territory did you have in mind?" he growled. Like hell he was moving from the coast. "And how big is this pack? Are they all trustworthy?"
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
i love you guys. it's so hard to have Charon be a self-absorbed dick to Atreyu and Thistle! <3 x 1000!

Charon had remained neutral thus far, not wanting things to get out of hand (and considering himself the Alpha wolf of the situation if not only by not responding agressively) but when Atreyu stepped over, looking ready for a fight, Charon's tail curled over his back and his hairs puffed out defensively. He subtly bared his teeth at Atreyu when Atreyu looked like he tried to intimidate Flóki, hoping that this would not come down to a fight, but ready to fight his three-legged friend if he needed to for the position the yearling so thought he fully deserved.

"I trust Ame, and she trusts her wolves. Most of them have been with the pack for a really long time, just like us. They're the loyal sort of wolves we need to bolster our ranks." Charon glared at Atreyu, squinting his eyes, as though daring him to find objection with anything he'd just said. "Ame is partial to mountains, but I'm not sure yet. We're going to explore to find a good place with enough food."

Trying to suss the situation, Charon decided to take a different turn. He was tired of answering Atreyu's questions, as he'd probably just find faults in everything he said and ask more, only to burn him down. Charon wanted Atreyu to see why he'd done it.

Charon sought Atreyu's eyes, although not dominantly this time, as he tried to explain. "Look, I care about her too," Charon said levelly. "But we both know she's been feeling shit lately, and it might be healthier for her to step down and take some time to herself. But she'd never admit that herself, you know that, she's too proud for that. And yeah, maybe I should've consulted with you guys first, but when I saw an opportunity to make our little pack survive winter, I didn't think about it, I just grabbed it. And I still think it's a good decision." Even if he might've worded things differently if he'd known how snippy his pack mates would respond, Charon still stood strongly by his decision as it were. This was for the best, and they would merge. Hopefully with Atreyu and Thistle Cloud by his side.
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
Floki glared at Atreyu, but did not say anything. Instead, he just nodded as Charon continued to speak, explaining that they wanted to claim a mountain and that Amekaze's wolves would be good additions to their group. When the conversation shifted to Thistle Cloud, the boy's ears fell slightly. He wasn't trying to disobey his mother or go against her wishes, but he wasn't as close to her as he once was. He spent most of his time with Charon.

He noticed that Charon's inflection had changed, so he glanced back at Atreyu with a softer expression of his own.
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Apologies for the delay! And I feel so bad for Charon and Floki, too D: Also, last post from me! Feel free to end it here if you want

Charon responded to his aggression with his own show of dominance; Atreyu didn't expect anything else from the freckled youth. When he bared a hint of his fangs, he eased off if only slightly, not truly wanting this to come down to a fight. If only because he knew it wouldn't go well for him. The tension between them was thick, but Atreyu listened to his Beta patiently as he explained his reasons.

They were sound reasons, but his anger didn't let him think rationally, focusing only on how selfish Charon was for putting this whole thing into motion without consulting them first. Partial to the mountains. His tail twitched frustratedly. It was one thing to move away from the coast, but another thing entirely to move to a mountain.

He looked away from the boy's eyes as they searched for his own, only to catch Floki's soft gaze. His muzzle wrinkled, head bowed and turned to one side stubbornly as he listened to Charon. As he went on, Atreyu's fur settled and his tail partially fell. He was right about Thistle, about the move. It was a smart decision. It didn't mean he had to like it. After his last words, the Gamma gave them a fiery glance. "Hope you're right," he mumbled darkly, before giving a snort and turning away from the two brothers and disappearing into the ruined forest.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
While Charon would've fought for his future position — for his mountain — he couldn't express just how relieved he was to see Atreyu's fur settle and his dominance vanish. For now, the situation seemed to be under control again. This gave Charon time to briefly wonder about Levi and Saskia, and with a sad notion realise they weren't going to show. The moment with Atreyu seemed to have gone in slow motion, and Charon's heart beat in his throat as they were facing each other.

Atreyu finally said he hoped Charon to be right and then turned away, giving up the mental fight. Charon felt victorious, although he really did hope that Thistle and Atreyu would come round and realise this was for the very best for the entire pack.

Charon looked at Flóki and smiled, his body falling back to natural state, dominance fading for with Flóki, it was not necessary. "I'm going to nap for a bit. Wanna come explore when I'm all rested?" The journey from the Sunspire had been long, and Charon longed to rest, even though he was incredibly excited to start exploring towards his and Amekaze's new pack. Charon nuzzled Flóki's cheek and then he turned towards Bay territory, intent to find a shallow den where he could rest quickly before they set off to explore.

*ties knot around* one more from Flóki to wrap it up? :D
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
:)

Atreyu did not quite relent. His posture relaxed some, but his parting words were spoken without an encouraging tone, and he turned and left without any further input. Floki watched him go, his expression a mixture of confusion, concern, and frustration. When he looked to Charon, though, his spirits lifted. His brother seemed to be taking Atreyu's reaction with a grain of salt, and appeared to still be pleased with the way things had played out.

The future Alpha informed his brother that he was going to go rest, then asked if he wanted to accompany him afterwards for some exploration. Floki's ears perked at that suggestion and he nodded his head eagerly. "Yes, of course!" he replied even as Charon brushed his nose amiably against his cheek. He then trailed behind Charon, lingering excitedly nearby while his brother napped so that he would be ready to go the minute that he awoke.