Blackfeather Woods Back then, when I stupidly took pride
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Set close to the borders, but not quite on them. @Nemesis

The day had been more than eventful. In such a short time, so much had taken place, making the boy happy to have chosen his father over his mother. Not to say he didn’t miss the others, because he often did, it was more that he didn’t regret his decision. It felt as if he truly belonged in Blackfeather, making any other place pale in comparison. Even the Northern regions that his father had told him about, the same area Kove had been born into, didn’t seem nearly as interesting anymore. Stories of the frozen land had made it seem like the best place ever when they were still in Bearclaw, but since entering the woods, he found himself barely even thinking about the Inuit pack. Instead, his focus was on the shadows, and the shadows only. The cool air and silence they carried… even the swamps, however smelly they may be, appealed to him to some extent.

As Xan was walking along through the territory he’d quickly started to favour, a foreign, yet somehow still familiar, scent drifted past his nose. He knew he’d smelled it somewhere before, and the boy’s face scrunched up lightly as he tried to recall the owner of the scent. Then, it hit him. He didn’t know the owner by appearance, but he had definitely smelled it before. It was the same strong fragrance that had lingered in the little den he’d found back in the maple woods of the valley. Since he’d never seen the previous occupant of the space, as it’d been abandoned long before his finding of it, he wanted to find out what it was. Without giving it a second thought, he took off in the direction it had come from. As he entered a space where the trees had seemingly parted, he was practically smacked by the odor, informing him that it was far fresher than what he'd been following. That also meant whatever it belonged to was close by, so he slowed down and started nosing around. He was about to start looking elsewhere after having not spotted the creature immediately, but the rustling of a bush made him stop dead in his tracks.

The small Inuit whipped his body around just in time to see the red fox emerge from its hiding spot. His queer eyes locked onto the vulpine’s form, hackles rising unknowingly and a small growl vibrating from his throat. The two continued to stare one another down, before Xan lurched forwards, wanting to get a closer look. Of course, the fox did not take lightly to that, backing uo a few paces before proceeding to circle the whelp. Alexander watched the red fox closely, growling whenever it tried to get close. After his last wordless threat, the fox had continued to linger a bit too close, and so the child reacted in the same way anyone would—he jumped forward and wrapped his little jaws right around the fox’s bushy tail. That didn’t sit well with it, and it moved away, jumping into the air from the sheer shock of what had happened. That was all the vulpine needed, too, before it’d started stalking the child, circling him with revenge as its only intentions.
I can give it all to you, will you take it all from me
If love is a joke, then use me ruthlessly
Threads are titled after lyrics from Block B's “Toy”
hell hath no fury
637 Posts
Ooc — jal
Guardian
Just assuming Kove didn't tell her about bringing his son with him

Lifting her nose to the air, she took in a deep breath, searching for the scent of prey nearby. The last few of her days had been spent gathering more and more catch to fill her cache, with the coming winter. The rest of the pack had been doing the same, the healers stocking up the herbs and the rest filling their own caches. And now finally she had gotten rid of that food raider, she could hunt in peace. 
She always felt calm during the colder days, maybe it was the way the bitter air filled her bones, or the somber feelings she got in the afternoons when the sun disappeared behind the horizon. Whatever it was, she much prefered it opposed to the sticky days of the summer when the crickets hummed their obnoxious tones and the sun blared down upon her dark pelt. For some, the winter brought death or grief, or whatever made them hate it so much, but to her there was no other time than snow time. Watching the snowflakes rain down from the heavens gave her hope in her battered childhood years, that when a new coat covered the earth and new world would emerge from it, a world where she wasn't verbally and mentally abused everyday from those who were supposed to care for her. 

Shaking her head, she came out of her thoughts, refocusing her gaze to the survey the scene around her. From what she had picked up, there were no deer nearby, having moved from it's usual spot to one with better vegetation. But there was a peculiar scent coming from near the borders, one she had not smelt before. Somehow it reminded her of Kove, but that wasn't at all possible. This scent was much too young. Picking up her feet, she raced down the hill she had been standing upon to reach the following scents for the land around her. 

Nearing the borders, she looked around, for anything out of the ordinary. Her nose had never betrayed her before, so there had to be something there. The scent was of Blackfeather, she realised as she drew nearer, so the possibility of a trespasser was pushed away from her mind. 
Suddenly, a yowl rang out from a few meters away, drawing her to witness a mini stand off between a particularly pissed off fox and a white furball, who she realised was actually a pup. She was about to let out a laugh at the notorious predicament the child had gotten into before she realised the danger of the situation. The fox was now circling the pup, looking rather devious but the pup held no fear in it's eyes. 
Who was this kid? She smirked. 

Quickly, she dashed out from behind the shadows, stepping behind the pup as she flashed a malicious snarl at the fox in warning. Nothing dared to mess with her while she was protecting something, for she would go to extreme lengths to keep those she cared for safe. She did not know this pup, but she wouldn't sit by and watch it get handed it's ass by a fox, of all things. In the future who knew how the pup would react if it found out it got beat up by a fox, she wouldn't let such a thing damage it's self esteem even if the situation would have ended bloody if she did intervene.
the only way to keep your people loyal is
to make certain they fear you more than they do the enemy
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Alexander stood strong against the fox, confidence so plentiful in his tiny form that it was practically seeping from him. No matter which way the fox went, he’d meet it and stare it down, keeping the creature at bay. Several times it tried to lunge at him, but a flash of his little teeth, combined with the memory of what he’d done to its tail, had it skittering backwards. It was clear the vulpine was out for blood, and perhaps it would have gotten its wish, had the adult not intervened. The albino heard the woman before he saw her, his ears having swiveled about to pick up on the sound of her steps. Then there came the snarl, filling the boy with a strange feeling he could relate only as being close to excitement. It frightened the fox, sending it running off to wherever it’d originated from. The Inuit flashed his little teeth in its direction one last time before stepping forward and turning around to look at the dark wolf.

“Who are you?” Xan questioned, not allowing a single second to slip by. “Why’d you do that?” The child was an arrogant one, fearing next to nothing and thinking he was on top of it all. He was certain that he could have handled the situation all on his own, having been left unable to see the danger of the encounter. It was just a fox, after all. Though he didn’t really know what a fox was or what they could do, save for what he’d been told, he doubted it would have stood a chance against him. His mutation-filled gaze narrowed into a glare as he stared up at the elder’s face, his tail sticking straight out behind him. He didn’t recognize her arrival as a rescue, but rather, an interference.
hell hath no fury
637 Posts
Ooc — jal
Guardian
Nemesis watched smirking as the fox took one glance at her snarling features and ran, leaving her with one annoyed little pup. There was nothing more satisfying than putting one in it's place, regardless of it's species. Everything, in her opinion, needed to know it's place, contrary to her attitude to her superiors upon her arrival at Blackfeather. Ah well, now that she had at least some place of authority, her words would be marked down on those below her from now on, making her voice and it's instructions very clear to the newcomers. 
Looking down, her eyes met the small ones of the youngster, who looked particularly pissed off that his 'kill' had just been scared away by someone else. Though, she had to give it to the kid, he had guts, something that even some of the adults didn't have. Yet, the child's arrogance did not sway her, kids were kids, and she knew nothing could change a Blackfeather kid, no matter their origin. 

"Look, little man. I don't know you, you don't know me, but i'll tell you right now, if you want to take down that fox one day, you're gonna have to get over yourself and realise that it could have hurt you" She stated, not caring that the one she was speaking to was less than half her age. No doubt, the kid would have something to say about this, she would have too. 

"If you really want to learn how to take it down, I suggest you ask your mom, or dad, whoever they are. The less blood, the better.  But your pretty gutsy, i'll give you that" She said, even though she realised that this was probably horrible advice to give to a child. 
Suddenly, she realised that she had absolutely no idea who''s kid this was, or why he was here. Peering down to match his eye level, she narrowed her eyes at him. "Who are you?" She muttered, trying to think of who this little puffball could belong to.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
If looks could kill, there’s no way the woman would be standing before the boy any longer. His gaze only seemed to intensify as she started to speak, with irritation being carved into his features at what he’d been called. He knew that, compared to the adults, he was small, but he hated being reminded of that fact. Someday he’d be bigger, sporting long legs like his father—that was something he was certain of. In the meantime, however, he wanted to make sure no one ever got away with referring to him as being smaller. As her sentence continued, he could do nothing but scoff and roll his eyes, something he knew he’d get in trouble for if his father was around. Luckily for him, though, the elder wolf wasn’t there, and so he didn’t hold himself back from showing off his annoyance. “It wouldn’t have hurt me,” he countered, taking on a matter-of-fact-like tone. “It was scared of me. It would have lost.” Not a trace of hesitation could be plucked from his voice, showing just how strongly he believed in what he was saying. The stupid creature had freaked out over having its tail chomped on, so no way it could stand a chance against the pale whelp. As was what he thought, anyways.

The boy stared at her once she mentioned asking his parents, before giving a shake of his head. “My mom doesn’t live here, and my dad is probably busy.” Probably. Maybe. Most likely not. The Inuit had said before that he’d teach the child, but there was a stubbornness embedded deep into Xan’s mentality that made him want to do things on his own. Why ask his dad when he could just go out and take care of things himself? Speaking of his father… the woman held a slight trace of the ghost’s scent on her, leading him to believe they’d met. Did they know one another? “I can smell my dad on you.” The words came out suddenly and without pause, odd-coloured optics looking her over. He observed her with the same type of calculating gaze his dad often possessed, but it was clear he could not yet read others nearly as well—and it wasn't known whether he'd ever acquire that skill or not. “I’m Xan. Who are you?” His introduction came quickly, leaving out his surname. Hell, he didn’t even give his entire first name, just his preferred nickname. He believed it to be better that way, though. It lessened the likelihood of her referring to him by his full name, which was something he liked.
hell hath no fury
637 Posts
Ooc — jal
Guardian
Nemesis's eyes widened at the pup's words, why had Kove not told her that he brang his son? Alas, it wasn't any of her concern nor her business, though looking at the child, the resemblance was clear. Their pale coats were a clear definition of relation, only the red mark was of absence on the child. One day, she guessed, the kid would hold the red mark too, following in his father's footprints. It lead her to question exactly how old this kid was, why he was left exploring the woods on his own. Yes, the pack was unified, and they would never dare harm each other but nothing stopped others from harming a Blackfeather wolf, no matter how innocent. She had come to understand that practically all the neighboring packs hated Blackfeather, for reasons deemed immature to her. Was it because they were branded "evil", she did not know. If anything, they were the one's to scorn if they held such notations about Blackfeather, the one who stood firm. While the rest middled about trying to do the right thing, they had no such beliefs, it was what kept them strong. Their unification in adherence to the dark, avoiding the troubles of being a "hero". 
So if the child had followed his father all the way out here, were blood painted the borders of their territory, he had darkness within him, or something of the sort. It was perfect, no matter the size. She would not undermine the kid just because of his age, who knew who he would turn out to be. But, if anything happened to him on her watch, there would be no forgiveness. 

She narrowed her eyes against the kid once more, not adjusting to his exuberant attitude. It was in her right mind to snap at the child, warn him of who he was talking to, be she decided otherwise, he was just a kid anyways.
"No, it really wouldn't have. It would have whipped around and took a bite out of you. Don't underestimate those things" She warned, fully knowing what nunderminding did to oneself. 
"Don't be stupid" She added, her cold eyes meeting his, completely concise. It was the best idea she could give the kid, knowing fully he wouldn't listen to anything else she had to say. 

Her head titled to the side, confusement etched on her features. "It's just you and you dad? What about siblings?" She wondered out loud, knowing how an isolated childhood always turned out. If only her past had been full, reachable siblings, packmates, mother even. But no such things had ever presented themselves, just to train, to be better, to be emotionally scarred were her closest companions. A kid should always have others to play with, siblings or friends to avoid the possibility of them turning out to be a deranged killer, in her opinion. 
"Yeah, I met him earlier. He seems like a good dad" She shrugged, not really knowing what else to say. Kove had patience, a good attribute to have in this messed up world. It was hard to come by, and she only hoped the kid appreciated what he had.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Speaking to the woman was really starting to bug him. Didn’t she know who he was? Alexander Apaata. No animal out there would dare take a bite out of him. He was the best there is, the bravest and the strongest—something he strongly believed, though in reality, he could be taken out by a bird if the creature was persistent enough. When she told him to not be stupid, he took it as an insult and narrowed his eyes further. The fur along his back bristled, and his ears stood straight up. He couldn’t believe what she’d said, insulting him as if it was no big deal. Someday he would get her back for it. “It would have lost.” He repeated, in complete and total denial. Truthfully, he’d fallen so deep into the dark, never-ending pit that was his ego that trying to explain something to him would most likely be a futile endeavor. There was no true cure to ignorance except, perhaps, experience—which was something he’d yet to really acquire. His mother had been far too protective, not allowing him to go everywhere he wished to. Now that he was with his father, who was much more lenient, maybe he’d finally be exposed to something that would chase the ignorance right from his adolescent form. Alas, that was nothing more than a theory.

There was a short paused in noise, allowing him a chance to take in a deep breath and cool down. When her question reached his ears, his eyes had already widened back to their usual look, and his hackles had flattened against his body. “My sisters went somewhere else,” he answered, voice flat and words straight to the point. “We were all given the chance to decide who we wanted to go with, and my sisters chose our mother. I don’t know where they are now.” A frown slipped onto his face as he spoke. He hadn’t liked the separation of his family, but his anger helped to cloud over his sorrows. They’d abandoned him and his dad, betraying the child’s trust of them. Even Nanook, who had always competed with him for Kove’s attention, had gone along with the elder albino. “He is, I guess,” he child murmured, not entirely sure what to say in response to her statement. He was the only dad he’d ever had, so how was he supposed to know how good of a father he was? He based his opinion off of the fact that he liked his dad, and trusted the older Inuit.
hell hath no fury
637 Posts
Ooc — jal
Guardian
Listening to his story, she almost felt sympathetic for the kid. Almost. As far as she got, his mother had forced them to make a cruel decision, one that would damage their family with major scars. What kind of mother did that to their child, their children? Even for her standards, it was cruel. But someone needed to tell the boy to get over them, that obviously, if they were to chicken to follow their father to Blackfeather, they weren't strong enough. A trait she absolutely detested among others. It was clear that Xan was the star of his litter or whatever his family consisted of. From what she had heard from Lusa and Burke's conversation, this Scarlett woman had taken in children that weren't even hers, yet she could not take care of her own kin, throwing them into an impossible situation, The thought of his mother's abandonment angered her, making a mental note that if she ever saw this witch, she would regret the selfish choice she had made. She knew fully and could understand what a parent's betrayal felt like, and no wolf, as young as Xan was, should ever be subjected to such cruelty. 

"Well i'll tell you this much, you'll make a good killer" She smirked in truth, appreciating the fact he was perfect for Blackfeather. After the eccentric moods had passed, her somber attitude returned, wanting to spill out everything she felt to the kid. "Look, you're dad is a great dad. You're no fool, any smart wolf can see, you'll grow up to be a victorious leader, the perfect Blackfeather. Your dad brung you here, to this dark haven. Give him some credit. He made the best decision of you entire life. As for your mother, well, her loss. You keep going at those foxes the way you do and you'll find yourself better than the Warriors" She lightly smiled. But she didn't want him to get the wrong idea, there was an element of safety involved, one that he needed to understand. "But listen, you can't fight without your head on your shoulders. Next time you see your dad, tell him about this, about the fox. He'll train you to become the best, he is one of the best. And eventually, you can spar with me and all the others. Show them what you're made of" She replied, secretly hoping for the day when he could kick the kids butt, for good measure. But her feelings were in full honesty, she wanted the kid to train, to learn and eventually, become the best he could possibly be, however cheesy it sounded. 
Maybe it was the faults of her own past that wanted to personally make sure he could have the best childhood possible, or maybe it was just that for once she actually cared about something. Xan was the only exception for her feelings, she couldn't help seeing a little bit of herself in him, whatever it meant.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
A good killer. The sentence intrigued him, to some extent. He didn’t know what had caused her to say such a thing, since he’d never killed anything more than voles. Those had usually been on accident, too. It wasn’t like he’d ever meant to crush them, though he never regretted it, either. Chasing them down had always rewarded him with a snack he wouldn’t need to share with any of his siblings, so it had been fine by him. Did Nemesis know about that? Is that why she’d said he’d make a good killer? No, that couldn’t be the case. He’d never seen her in the valley, nor had he ever caught her scent. Maybe it was just her intuition then. “A good killer,” he repeated, more so to himself than to her. The child didn’t really know what it meant to be a ‘good killer’, but also didn’t think about it for too long. Later on, he would ask his dad about it, and figure out if the words were a good thing or not.

Xan paid close attention as the woman continued to speak, ears perked and mind taking in every word. He kept quiet, which was a rarity, and listened to all she had to say. There were certain words that stood out to him more so than the rest, certain words that fueled his drive to succeed. A victorious leader. He liked how that sounded, and tucked it away into his memory. Better than the warriors. The way she spoke made him want to start working towards such goals immediately. He’d been called "little warrior” once before, but being better than the warriors made that seem like nothing—though, in truth, he’d already considered the words to be equal to nothing. He’d been called such a thing by a wolf he’d never liked, which made him feel as if the words lacked a true meaning. Nemesis’ words were the exact opposite, however. They held meaning to them, they possessed a purpose and a goal that he would strive for. To be the best, even better than he currently was. “I’ll surpass all the warriors,” he proclaimed, words sincere. It was a statement he refused to ever go back on.

“He’s one of the best?” Alexander questioned, taking on a tone of astonishment. He had always looked up to his father, but to hear someone else refer to him as one of the best was an amazing thing. He knew his mother’s words had been nothing but lies, just a ploy to try and get all of her children to follow her. He felt some pity towards his sisters, then, hoping they would eventually come to their senses. “I’m gonna train, and then I’m going to beat everyone in spars,” he voiced, a grin growing across his maw. “Even you.” The young Inuit would do anything to live up to his words. He couldn’t wait for the day in which he was skilled enough to partake in an actual spar. It was bound to be exciting.
hell hath no fury
637 Posts
Ooc — jal
Guardian
Nemesis smirked silently as Xan repeated her words, a goal etched in his mind. She wasn't sure how he would take her words, they had many meanings for different minds. In her eyes, Xan was perfect material for a Blackfeather warrior, yet there was an element that was uncertain what path he would take. Carefull instruction could make him strive but what he decided to do as he grew older was wary, how he would use his skills was vague. Yet, it was a funny thing to be said aloud, a realisation to her what path she had actually chosen. Xan had Kove, yet she had nothing. And it was plain to see what a damaged past could do, herself as a horrid example. There was always something of uncertainty in Blackfeather, with the dark elements that surrounded them, who knew how anyone turned out to be? But for Xan's sake, she'd keep a wandering eye on him, or at least watch from a distance,  knowing fully that even a child could stir up the darkest of troubles.

She nodded at Xan's astonished look, a silent confirmation of what he didn't know. If Kove was in the Dark Brotherhood, it proved he was worthy, skilled and dangerous enough to fit Xan's liking. It was curious to as why Xan did not already know of his father's accomplishments, or had such topics been suppressed, wherever they had gone? Nevertheless, the child had a lot to learn before he wanted to "be the best". 

"Of course you will!" She exclaimed, a plan formulating in her mind. "You won't beat me," She deadpanned, ending that idea from his mind right where it stood. "But, there is one way you can assure you will beat the others, you want to know?" She smirked, wanting to be absolutely sure he was determined enough to understand.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
The exclamatory words made him grin, eagerness ablaze in his young body. He couldn’t wait until he was older, when he was big enough to do what he wanted and take on whoever—or whatever—came his way. Fearless as he was, he was bound to find himself getting into more and more trouble as he grew, but that was something for another time. For now, as he lived within the dark woods, he wouldn’t be given too many opportunities to cause trouble. That is, unless he wandered to the neighboring territories, but slipping away cold prove to be difficult. No matter, he would try. Xan was determined to be the best, to surpass all who stood ahead of him, and so nothing could stop him from achieving his goals. Not even the words that soon reached his ears. “I will so,” he argued, continuing to grin madly. Someday, somehow, he would beat her.

Alexander raised his head up, a look of suspicion crossing his features. “What way?” the child questioned, staring at her. Was she messing with him, or being serious? “Tell me.” The words came out more as a demand than anything else.
hell hath no fury
637 Posts
Ooc — jal
Guardian
Fade soon?

Nemesis held back a frustrated sigh as she desperately wanted to show the kid his place. He's just a kid, he's just kid, she relayed in her head, willing herself to calm down. Xan's definite statement had caused her to grow in temper, unwillingly of course. Even though he was a child and his taunts were the same, something about had bothered her, scared her even. Nobody could take her place, no one would. Nobody could, she reminded herself, unsure to her own words. What if something happened, and she has demoted to the bottom once again? The thought she could not bear, and certainly could not fathom the thought of this.. runt, beating her at anything, let alone anyone else. Her pride was exhausting. 

Just by the look on his face, she could tell he was suspicious of her claim. But even still, he was too young to fully understand what the Brotherhood truly meant. Even thought she would never underestimate the kid, for some adults the valued meaning was too much to handle. Leaning down, her voice lowered, giving off the feeling that it was a secret. 

"Okay, i'll tell you. But you have to promise never to tell a soul," She warned, knowing how sensitive the Brotherhood was on it's information. Who knew what kind for contacts the kid had outside of Blackfeather, or what kind of others he would blabber to. 
"It's called the Dark Brotherhood, a cult of murderers, assassins and spies. And it resides in this very pack! Initiates have to be taught lessons on how to kill successfully and spy without being seen. Infact, i'm being taught how to be an Assassin right now," She smirked, even though the version she was giving him made her look like a god. 
"Ever so often, the Brotherhood will be asked to perform tasks by other pack who want their dirty work done. It's quite an honor to be one, and once you've completed the training, you receive a red paw print on your shoulder, just like the one your father has," She enticed, leading the kid on. She would have told him about the kind like Meldresi, the priests and priestesses but she didn't think Xan would be too interested in that. Even if he had heard of the Brotherhood from his father, being in Blackfeather made it better knowing he was surrounded by the best of the best. 
"But, you'll be even better if you start working on it now, I have a feeling you'll fit in with the rest, that is if you really want to" She drew out, knowing fully what his answer would be.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Sounds good to me~

When the woman drew closer, his ears perked up, inner thoughts insisting he hear everything that left her mouth—from the longest of phrases, down to the smallest of breaths. There was a secret, he could tell, and he wanted to know it rather badly. Being kept out of the loop on things was never fun, and totally intolerable for the boy. “I promise I won’t tell anyone,” he said, nodding as he spoke to further prove the sincerity of his words. If it was a secret, he’d keep it to himself. Besides, who would he even tell? Everyone he knew was either within the dark woods, or in a faraway location that he didn’t know the location of. It didn’t seem as if he’d be heading out to meet anyone new, either—not that he’d just tell a total stranger everything they want to know. He was too big of a troublemaker to even consider doing that.

As she spoke, he listened, though the words were not really new to him. He’d heard of the Brotherhood through his father, who had only ever spoken highly of it. Most children would be raised being told how vile murderers, assassins, and any “wrongdoers” were, but not Xan. A life like that just wasn’t the life the fates had rolled for him. Despite him already knowing of the cult, he did not interrupt the woman. He let her carry on with her words, telling him her bit of information. “Wouldn’t an assassin have taken that fox out without it even knowing they were there?” he questioned, the trace of a smirk on his face showing he was only asking to bother her. Before his journey to the woods, he hadn’t been one hundred percent sure of what an assassin was. Luckily for him, Kove had told him the meaning of many things during their long trip—which he was now thankful for, as it allowed for him to understand what he was being told.

Xan grew more interested as he was told of the print, and how one went about earning it. What she said was different from the story his father had told him, but that didn’t matter too much. Over time, things changed. Though still quite young, he’d already learned that little piece of information thanks to Bearclaw. He nodded as she got to the part about starting off then, and how he’d fit in. “I’ll ask my dad to teach me stuff,” he stated, grinning a bit cockily. His dad already had the mark, after all, so surely he’d be able to teach him some stuff. “Maybe I’ll be able to join before you with his help.” Another bit to add onto his streak of never-ending teasing. That was, of course, impossible, but he couldn’t help but voice it anyways.
hell hath no fury
637 Posts
Ooc — jal
Guardian
Nemesis paused at Xan's words, rethinking her previous actions. All she had thought when she had arrived on scene was to save Xan from harm, was that the right choice for a future assassin? She did what was right, not what was valliant. Did that make her.. soft? The thought made her want to shudder as she pushed the idea from her mind. It was a quick decision, one that turned out to be fine. 
"Yes, well.. I don't have to explain myself to you," She decided, looking at him with hard eyes. He was simply trying to start trouble, she knew but it didn't make it any less aggravating. 

Despite his rear thinking, Xan had ambition, and she approved the thought of Kove teaching his child. On the other hand, she wondered if Burke would be willing to teach the kid too, or would the feud between the adults compromise such an idea. It was unlikely that Burke would put Xan before anyone else, for her own training had slowed it's course for now. 
Shaking her head, she sighed at Xan's pitiful attempts at bugging her. "You can try, kid," She waved off as she turning to face the direction of her shelter. The day was ceasing, and she couldn't leave Xan by himself. "C'mon, the temperature is dropping and I'd hate to leave you here to freeze" She said almost sarcastically as she turned to leave. "Let's get you back to your dad, you've already given me a headache" She muttered, indicating for Xan to follow her.
Kunujâk
970 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Minor PPing of Nem so we can finally wrap this up. PM if you'd like it changed. I'm thinking one more post from you to end it? c:

The response came quick, cutting his troublesome ways off before they’d a real chance to begin. It was true, though—she didn’t have to explain herself to him. He knew that from the beginning, too, and yet his childish ways had still been permitted to control his words. There was no use trying to take it back, either, not that he really wanted to. So, the boy merely shrugged, choosing to pursue neither of their cases. Still, a glint remained in his gaze that signaled he was just getting started with his mischievous ways. It would not be the last time he’d question her actions, and next time he might not be so quick to just drop it. No matter what was to happen, or what was to come, the present remained the same with his attention being pointed towards the other topic at hand—his destiny to become the absolute best.

“I won’t have to try,” he stated, chest puffing out ever so slightly as he, once again, showed off his confidence streak. “I’m going to do it. I’m going to make it happen.” By then, his words were more for himself than the woman. He did not need to assure himself of what he believed, that was obvious, but he enjoyed hearing words revolving around his own success. Even if such success had yet to come, he knew it would eventually. Xan had become so wrapped up in his own thoughts, he hadn’t even noticed the decreasing temperature. It made sense, though, as they slipped further into the night, it was bound to grow chilly. At the suggestion of getting back to his dad, the Inuit gave a nod of his head. “Alright,” he said, agreeing to let her lead the way. They continued through the woods until his father’s shelter was in sight. Alexander took that as his cue to pick up his speed, and so he ran ahead of the living shadow. He stopped a short ways off in front of her, then turned around and glanced back at his new acquaintance. “Bye,” he called out, then turned and ran the rest of the distance home. He was ready to sleep, that was for sure.
hell hath no fury
637 Posts
Ooc — jal
Guardian
That's perfect ;) Thanks for the fun thread!

Nemesis could only nod silently as the boy carried on about his pride lusted vendetta to join the Dark Brotherhood, though she seemed entirely convinced he was only telling himself that for his own benefit. She thought it best keep quiet for now, as he had finally slowed down the rapid fire of undeserved comments and useless back talk. How Kove could sire such a kid was baffling to her since their attitudes seemed to be complete polar opposites. If his mother was this way, she was sure to not like her at all. It was worrying at the thought, a child's attitude was accepted this way but an adults was not at all. Someone would have to set Xan straight before his mouth became the end of him.

She paused after a while, smelling the scent of Kove's nearby, their den. She was one for privacy, as many other in Blackfeather for reasons that were completely obvious. It wasn't her nature to intrude, nor dig her nose where it didn't belong (not on purpose, of course). Her scent near theirs sent up too many red flags in her mind, way too close for comfort.  
As Xan bid his goodbyes, she nodded back her own. She wasn't one for many words in situations that on normal occasion sprouted feelings that she desired never to hold again. Goodbyes were just.. uncomfortable, in her own delusional way.
Turning her back to the boy, she waited to hear the soft footsteps of his retracting from hearing and dismiss altogether. As her own feet picked up, running back to her shelter for the night, her mind was clear for once, as if wolf to wolf interaction actually helped her self control. 

I'll archive:)