Jade Fern Grove mixed feelings
16 Posts
Ooc — Avery
Set by the borders of Jade Fern Grove @Scimitar 

Never had this happened before. Estoc was a lot of things, but he wasn't indecisive. Or he usually wasn't indecisive. Currently, however......He had made up his mind to give up on his quest of finding his siblings but somehow, he was wandering now, without a purpose in mind, as a way to trick himself into believing that he wasn't trying to find his siblings when in actuality, he was. Estoc dug his claws into the earth angrily, but managing to keep his countenance impassive at the sametime.

This wasn't going to work. Father had taught him better than that. Father taught him to value family above all else, but he also taught him to use his brains, to use logic to make decisions instead of using emotions. Obviously, emotions were necessary, but for a soldier, logic would save your life and emotions would kill you. And Estoc, above everything else, was a soldier first and foremost. This wasn't going to work.

Then the charcoal male paused in his steps, leathery nostrils flaring as the faint smell of pack scent markers touched his nose. It meant the official packlands were still quite a distance away, it also meant, however, that he might get an uninvited visitor. Some packs were seriously territorial after all. Not that it was bad; Estoc would rather be in a territorial and feral pack than one that was all sunshines and flowers.
he came and stole the wild
1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Short.. but only had a quick moment to post.

Fate brought the world together in a strange way – and when he could very distantly scent another, the dark agouti wolf was quick in his attempt to intercept the wolf. Had his mind been more clear, and less upon the despair that seemed to hang over the Grove like a cloud, he might have even noted even before his eyes fell upon the silver wolf that it was his brother – but it had also been awhile since he had seen the younger man.

His paws were swift as they carried him along the borders, and uttering a bark of greeting, it wasn’t until Scimitar drew closer that he noted the familiarity of the wolf. Blinking, his muscles relaxed somewhat – though his posture of dominance did not falter. “Estoc?”
a crime so old as the sky and bone
16 Posts
Ooc — Avery
Estoc took a step back, then took a step forward, then scowled. He was being completely ridiculous, this was not the Estoc his father wanted him to be, this was some indecisive wolf who was most definitely not him. It was time for the soldier to make a solid decision, to give up and live life at its fullest, or to continue on his fruitless search and lose the majority of his life to a pointless quest. The silver Frostfur was saved from making his decision, however, from the last wolf Estoc would've expected to see.

Silver ears twitched as a bark of greeting cut through the gentle silence of the afternoon air. Immediately, he assumed a subtle defensive combative position, being as wary as ever. However, the moment the large bear of a wolf emerged from the shadows into sight, his tensed muscles relaxed slightly, though a glint of uncertainness and wariness was still evident in his countenance - only for a moment, however, they vanished completely a second later.

Estoc recognized his brother instantly, and although Scimitar looked older, wearier and generally...worst than when he last saw him, he still saw his big brother in the wolf before him and it was all the soldier could do to not rush into his brother's arms. Instead, he blinked his bi-colored gaze and nodded slowly. "Hello big brother," Estoc said, almost hesitantly as he moved forward, a big change from the last time they reunited. His posture showing deference to his elder brother as he approached and if Scimitar allowed it, he would run his tongue over his brother's chin before taking a step back.
1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Estoc moved forward to greet him, and Scimitar returned the affections. Despite being 'big brother,' there was nothing little about the wolf before him, and his sibling had surpassed his years of youthfulness and had breached the realm of adulthood. He could not recall the last time he had seen the wolf before him -- their days in Swiftcurrent Creek, he knew.. but the exact time? It was lost to him.

His muzzle canted to nose affectionately at his brother's cheek, not missing the deference the more youthful Frostfur showed. He seemed different somehow -- but he did not comment on it. "How have you been?" Pulling back, his eyes continued to rove the large form of Kaskara's littermate, wondering if he should beckon her forward as well -- or is their brother would be staying longer than for a lingering visit.
16 Posts
Ooc — Avery
Estoc's bi-colored gaze noted the few scars that had not been present the last time he saw his big brother: the large chunk of ear that had gone missing, the scars on his chest and his shoulder. And Scimitar seemed older somehow, as if all the burdens of the world was resting on his shoulders. Life had been hard, but now, Estoc decided that his life wasn't too bad and he was suddenly thankful to the Fates for weaving a relatively easy life compared to Scimitar (he didn't know what happened after he left, but it couldn't be anything good).

"You know," Estoc replied with a shrug of his shoulder and a crooked smile, "the same as always. I've seen better days but...yeah I'm good. I'm....better than you anyhow. You seemed to have gained several new scars while I was gone, and, uh, sorry to tell you this, big bro, but you look old." Well, Estoc, that was a brilliant way to greet the brother you haven't seen for ages. Way to go, mate. The Frostfur canted his head sideways and hoped Scimitar would drop the stoic mask and tell his younger bro how he really felt.
1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Estoc’s sardonic nature was almost expected coming from a partial DeMonte, and so Scimitar allowed a thin smile to press upon his lips before he sobered. His torn ear gave an idle flick as he took in his brother – curious to how long this visit would be.

“I feel old,” he admitted solemnly, his muzzle then giving a shake. “Things aren’t good, Estoc,” he finally offered, releasing a gentle sigh. There was no point in  trying to avoid the topic – Estoc was the littermate to Kaskara and a wolf Scimitar had helped raise when he was younger. At least until he set off to find his own place in the world.

“We moved from Swiftcurrent Creek to a mountain – Nova Peak. A storm came and there was a fire.. now we’re here. There was a bear attack.. and one of my son’s lost both of his eyes because of it. Our numbers are dwindling, and I’m not particularly convinced my mate doesn’t hate me.” He paused, his jaws opening as if to say more – but he didn’t want to press out details, and so his muzzle clipped shut once more.
16 Posts
Ooc — Avery
A grin graced the regal's features when he noticed the small smile on his stoic brother's face. It was good to see Scimitar smile; from the looks of his older brother, it seemed that the fellow Frostfur hadn't smiled in ages and it worried the charcoal male. It worried the Roman a lot but naturally, he didn't let it show, instead continued to smile amiably at his brother, muscles relaxing as he listened to Scim's words, hoping that whatever the Frostfur said, it wouldn't be too bad.

Apparently, the Fates weren't on his side. That was to be expected; he never got much luck in anything.

"You are old," Estoc pointed out unhelpfully, a mischievous smirk on his lips. Dude, bad time to crack a joke. Shit. "Uh," the Roman was at a sudden lost for words before he brightened up. "No offense intended big brother, I meant that as a joke, you know. Like you're only old because you're older than me, you're my older brother. You get it?" Bad, bad, bad. Estoc, you complete ass. "Uh....um yeah. Sorry."

That sounded sincere, in reality, he just didn't want to get on Scim's bad side yet and while he didn't apologize often (not at all), he felt these were one of the rare times he needed to say the s word. Refraining from saying 'No shit Sherlock' when Scim told him things weren't good, he bit back a heavy sigh and paid attention to his brother's words. Life had been hard on the family of Frostfurs, especially on his brother. They had moved twice since he'd last saw them, that wasn't good, at all. Bad luck kept following their family, apparently. 

When Scimitar approached the topic of having a son, Estoc was more surprised at the fact that his brother had a mate and had children rather than the fact that his son had lost both eyes. Thank the gods that he hadn't said anything out loud; as much as Scim tolerated Estoc's tomfoolery antics, he was pretty sure his brother would not appreciate his statement so he kept his mouth shut. The charcoal male just didn't think anyone would like his brooding, grumpy, stoic brother, y'know? But then, Scim was good-looking. Not as good looking as Estoc, but still pretty handsome.

Maybe that was it. Yes, probably.

Apparently, Scim's mate also hated him. Definitely the looks, mate. 

"Thats.....thats a lot of shit, mate." Estoc said when Scim appeared to be done. "You have children, brother? How many? What are their names? Hows the one who lost his eyes? Is he alright? No, thats stupid. I mean, as alright as anyone without eyes can get." Estoc paused, met his brother's eyes as carefully and evenly as he could (which was a lot, thanks to his military father) and continued speaking, "I can help, Scim. I might be able to help. Not with the mate issue, but perhaps with everything else. Okay, I can't help your son but..."