Moonspear Strange
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Thistle would be great if you have time, Danni :)

Over time, Charon's affinity for Ame had grown, but with his realisation for the fondness he held for her, so had grown the realisation that he knew nothing about love. Charon had never given love much thought. Not until Flóki had asked him about love, and the most logical choice that came to the forefront of his mind had been to pair with Ame.

Today Charon intended either to take a day off from patrols and hunting, or to garner advice (a rare activity for Charon to engage in). Regardless, Charon intended to spend it with his adoptive mother. Charon followed the scent trail he had found up the mountain, hoping to find @Thistle Cloud at its end.
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle Cloud did not venture far these days, much preferring to stay still and quiet where she could watch and ply her trade. She enjoyed the solitude this move had wrought, it had allowed her to grieve completely. Most of her still missed RAgnar, but she was fast becoming used to his absence, though sometimes late at night she missed his larger body wrapped around her smaller one. She also missed the connection the love, to have another who listened to your worries and eased them.

It was with surprise she met Charon, She smiled at him and wagged her tail. Well isn't this a fair surprise. Hello Charon.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
When he laid eyes on his mother, Charon realised how long ago it had been that they had been able to spend some time together, one on one. He also had to admit that she looked good. Much better than when they had departed from the Bay together. Back when Atreyu was still around.

"Hey, " Charon said with a smile and he nudged Thistle's cheek fondly. She had to be happy that two more of her children were home now, even though not in as good a state as Charon and Flóki. She had to be proud, Charon imagined, of Flóki's new position in the pack. "How are you doing? Glad that Jorunn and Kaylan are home again?"
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle hadn't spent time with any of her children really. Not that she hadn't wanted too, but she hadn't gone looking for them. Perhaps it was guilt that kept her hidden, or maybe some twisted part of her thought they should come and see her. She wasn't really sure, but she did know she missed them sometimes, but nothing more than she missed their father. Which was a sad and heartbreaking realization.

Thistle tilted her ears forward to listen to him and waited. She smiled easily at the mention of the children, though she did lay her ears back about Kaylan. I have not seen Kaylan. I know he is here, but I haven't seen him. As for Jorunn. I am very glad he is home. He is much more like Ragnar than I had imagined, not being raised by him and I. How are you doing Charon?
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Though she seemed happy at first at the mention of her children, Charon noticed the decline when Kaylan was mentioned. Well, Kaylan hadn't been the most social wolf since his return. Charon had taken him in because he was family, but in truth he wondered if his brother would ever be the same as he used to; ever be whole.

"Yeah, it's funny, isn't it? " Charon said in regards to Jorunn. Jorunn was probably the most Viking like of his adoptive siblings, which was strange considering the fact that he had not been raised that way by his adoptive parents. Soon Charon went on to the next subject at hand though, which held his preference: Charon. " I'm doing pretty well. I actually kinda wanted to ask you about how you and Ragnar, you know, met and got together." In truth, Charon was more interested how he could apply his mother's experience to his own situation with Ame.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle felt strangely adrift about her children. All of them with the exception of Floki and Charon had left and made their own lives. They all seemed to find their way home, but she felt oddly aloof from them, felt guilt eat at her everytime she saw them, because well she should have been better at  everything.

Thistle chuckled, Yes it really is. Ragnar would not have minded either way. He told me long ago that no one needed to follow his beliefs unless they wished too. And her husband had not pushed them on any, except for his priestess bride.  The turn of topic made her scrabble to keep up, she smiled and her eyes glowed. Ah Ragnar. She studied him, Do you have your eye on a girl Charon?

She gave him a teasing smile, but dipped her head and settled her tail around her paws, thinking. He was wounded, that was how we first met I was a young healer and he was a quandary. But he was mysterious and hard, and rebellious. You know I think I may have fell in love with him right away I did not realize it until it was far too late. We grew an interesting companionship he and I. I was young and stupid honestly Charon and met another male in the forest...and I got pregnant, that was my first litter. Ragnar did not care though, he realized at that moment that he had loved me, perhaps loved me all along and he couldn't bear to have anyone else have me. So we agreed to a mateship and he raised the older children.

Thistle grew quiet and then spoke softly, her voice quiet. Though I loved Ragnar Charon. I do not want for you what he and I had. Not that we did not love each other, because we did. It was a possessive, obssessive passionate thing, but we were bad for each other. We brought out both the worst and the best in each other at all times. There were days where we would fight so loudly the birds would fly away. No I wish for you, what your real parents had. Verinne and Julooke, now their love was a beautiful thing. They were very good friends you know before they were lovers, the best of friends. and they were so devoted to each other.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
It was a nice thought that Ragnar didn't care if anyone followed his beliefs, and that he accepted them as they were. Charon remembered some of his conversations with Ragnar well and he also remembered vividly when he'd been to Duskfire Glacier and back and Ragnar'd saved him near Stavanger Bay from that threatening wolf. Still, thinking of Ragnar, who was no longer here at all, made Charon feel weird, as though he had never been there at all, as though he was like Drake, the imaginary friend Charon used to have when he was young. He seemed non-existant because he wasn't here now, and the memories were all they had left of him now.

Thistle seemed to prick right through the reasons behind his question. Charon felt a glow spread across his face at first, but he decided instantly that he was a great Alpha, Jarl, King, Emperor, and there was no need for him to feel self-conscious about anything. "Yes, I do," he replied, trying not to let any of his nervousness shine through. "And I think she likes me, too." He was pretty certain that Amekaze felt the same way; after all, she had appreciatively accepted it when he had cleaned her wounds after the coyote attack. Even the ones on her face.

Thistle told him all about her and Ragnar then, and it was a mysterious world opening up to him. Charon saw a way different side of his adoptive parents and the relationship that they had had this way. He had never noticed any of the strife between them, really. What piqued his curiosity even more was when Thistle said that he should strive for a relationship like his parents, Julooke and Verrine, had had. "What were they like? My real parents?" he asked Thistle, settling down to listen to more of her stories. He found himself captivated by them, and after hearing more about herself and Ragnar, he yearned to hear the love story of Julooke and Verrine, and whatever else she could reminisce about them.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle herself sometimes wondered if it hadn't been for her children, if it had all been a dream. A male she had invented in her pursuit of love. His life and their time together had been so fleeting. It sometimes made her heart ache with want and longing, but she tried to stuff it down deeply and not allow it to grow too much. She did not wish to descend into darkness again. Even if it had been comforting there.

Thistle chuckled, I thought you might could not imagine any other reason you would ask of us. I hope she does to Charon whomever she maybe. Thistle thought she may know, only because Charon was often a logical wolf, much like Ragnar had been, but he also did not always understand emotions and the like. And he was na alpha as was Amekaze. It was one of the reasons Thistle herself had asked Ame if she liked Charon, or if there were more, because she thought someday this talk may come. Bu tshe shook her head and focused on the conversation at hand.

Thistle sighed softly and smiled, I did not know much of Verrine, only talking to him once or twice. Ragnar was closer to him than I was. But he was playful and kind, and a very good hunter. Julooke. Thistle's voice grew higher in her grief and she sniffed once. Julooke was my very dear friend. I loved her. Everyone loved her, it was impossible not too. There was just this overwhelming joy to her, she had a true zest for life. She was playful and happy and kind and nurturing, everything she should have been. And she loved you little ones, even before you were born. She was learning to be a healer, like me. I haven't taught anyone my trade since her, it hurts too much to try. There was this one time. THistle smiled as she remembered and she continued. She and I were searching throughout the new land, we had just moved to the bay. We had lost our first Leader Pump violently to a bear and I was sad. Pump was my friend. We found Shield Maiden's sorrow the waterfall you know of what I speak? We found it and we were looking and suddenly Julooke she just ran and jumped over the cliff and dived right into the water. That was how she was, she ran into everything with joy in her heart. We had fun that day, we splashed and played like we were pups again.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon was happy to hear the stories of his passed relatives -- both of Ragnar and of his biological parents. It was a shame that Thistle knew so little about Verrine, for he remained much of a mystery. Charon remembered some vague memories, but not really anything detailed in regards to his father. Sometimes he wondered if the memories he did have were all a dream. Like that time he sat outside and his father joined him as they stared at the stars together. The night that he'd fallen in love with the night sky. But he would never know if it had ever really happened, or if it was just a fond memory that he'd inplanted in his own mind to have some sort of memory of his father.

Charon nodded during the story, listening to it as Thistle told him about it. He remembered Shield Maiden's Sorrow; he remembered that Gunnar had once told him about that place, and he used to visit it a lot. He smiled as Thistle told him the story of Julooke just jumping right into the water from there. He'd done that himself on numerous occassions. It was one of the places of Stavanger Bay that he really missed.

"That's lovely," Charon said with a smile that betrayed how the story had swept him right up. "I wish they'd been around longer for me to get to know them and make stories with them, too." But unfortunately, life was cruel that way. If there was anything Charon had learned, it was that.

There was a moment of silence before Charon said: "It's Ame. The girl, I mean. I'm pretty sure she likes me too. I'm just not sure how to make it official. Like... Should I do some big gesture, or just hang out with her a lot and do fun things?" Charon wasn't really the type to beat around the bush and wait around. He wasn't going to sit back and wait until some other guy might sweep Ame off her feet. Especially considering how short the lives of many of his relatives had been, Charon wanted to live every moment to the fullest and waste no time. Hopefully his adoptive mother would have some tips for him. Ideally, Ame would get into danger and he'd be able to rescue her and she realised what a great, reliable guy he was. But those kind of events weren't really createable, so he could hardly wait around for something like that to happen, right?
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ugh I hate sickness. I swear my babies have been sick nonstop since November :(

Thistle felt bad that she could tell him no more of his late biological father. He had been a nice man, a brave one and he had loved his children and his wife with everything. Their's was the fairytale kind of love, in a way Thistle envied that of them. Her love had not been terrible, but there had been strife in important moments. Thistle couldn't tell Charon if his memories were real or just dreams, but she could hope they were real for his sake.

Floki, Gyda and I did that one time. We just jumped into the water. Oh the things you remember. She grew quiet and thought of Shield Maiden's Sorrow and still felt it a fitting name. She herself carried so much sorrow, even now, and even for the living.

Thistle frowned and looked at him. So do I Charon. So Do I. Life is often times cruel though, especially for a wolf. She grew quiet and looked down. She did not voice it, but she knew deep down. They would have been better parents, there was no doubt in her mind. Thistle fully believed now, that she had not been made for motherhood. She messed it up somehow. There was something wrong inside. She had done her best, but her best had been awful.

Thistle's ears perked forward and she chuckled. I imagined so. I have found Charon, that honesty is often the best policy. If you tell her nothing, she may not get it. Not to say she isn't a smart woman. It's just sometimes we tend to not read all the ques, males as well. So I would go with honesty on this one. But that is up to you. A nice gesture would not go amiss either. Ragnar used to make me things to show his love.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon suddenly missed the falls, and he decided that he would look to see if he could find another waterfall. Maybe he could even create one, or have one created. Was such a thing possible? His greatness deserved a waterfall, so why not?

Flóki and Gyda doing something with Thistle in the Bay seemed a weird thought, for he only vaguely remembered Gyda — actually, only by name — and he was unaware of any other Flóki's than his own bro. He wished that he had been able to jump into the water with Julooke, but Thistle was right; life was often cruel, and this was just the way it was. But every cruel thing that happened had its purpose, Charon imagined, and everything that had happened in his life so far had driven him to where he was now: A mighty king with a great queen by his side. It could be worse.

Honesty was both Charon's thing and not at all. He figured that Amekaze would choose him, anyway; why not? Why else had she chosen to lead a pack alongside him, if there was no attraction? Then again, he himself had not realised that he had been attracted to her for a long time — until now.

After a thoughtful moment, he said: "Thanks for the advice. I'll do something great to show her." Or maybe he'd just go with the flow. They would see where things'd lead. Then he suddenly asked: "Do you know any more stories of the stars? Like the one you told me that day at the Bay when I was little, about the eyes of Thjazi?" It was perhaps not yet starry out, but he had time and could wait if need be, or maybe could hear the story and piece together where the matching stars were later. Feeling nostalgic, Charon longed to spend a bit more time with his adoptive mother, and do things they used to do when times were simpler.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle listened to him, but she didn't say anything more about Amekaze. His next question drew from her surprise, but it was not bad. She was excited and intrigued to spin a story. It had been a long time since she had drawn on her memories of stories and folklore. She took a deep breath and frowned in thought. I know a small story. Nothing about a specific star. This is the story of the girl who could call the buffalo. 

Thistle closed her eyes as she tried to remember the story in it's entirety and then she began to speak. Once upon time there was a young pup who lived with her seven brothers. The brothers were stars and every night they left the little wolfess to travel among the skies. Every morning when they would return they would put their little sister in a vine and swing her and she would call buffalo for them to hunt and kill. They always had plenty to eat.

Thistle took a deep breath and continued. One day Coyote he came to visit them and he asked to stay. The brothers trusted him and let him stay. Every morning he would watch them swing the sister, but only after they made him promise to not swing her himself. For if he did she would go to high and get lost in the sky as a star and they would never see her again.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon settled down for the story and listened to it as Thistle told it. He looked up at the sky, though could see nothing right now of course, wondering if those seven wolves were actually stars in the sky. He listened to the story and when Thistle fell silent, he arched his neck slightly as he looked at her, urging her to continue. He could guess how it would go on, because often stories had morales and he figured that coyote would swing the girl — but Charon awaited the story patiently, unlike when he was still a pup and would ask loads and loads of questions about stories that were told to him in between.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle watched as he got more into the story and she smiled softly, as she too settled further down into a comfortable position. She took a breath and continued. Now one night the brothers as usual left to go light the night sky. Coyote called to the little sister, demanding that she come to the swing. She resisted at first, but he scared and threatened her, like the bully he was, and she went. He swung her, but no buffalo came, he swung her higher and higher and then she was lifted off into the sky and he could not see her. He called to her, demanded she come down, but she couldn't. Finally, he gave up and he made up a story for the brothers when they came home and asked about her. He lied told them she had not been seen all night. They knew this was not true, and the brothers cursed him. Telling him that he would always be hungry, his ancestors would always be hungry and they banished him. The brothers decided to join their little sister in the sky and when you see a grouping of stars around one little one, that is the brothers as they watch over their sister. Never ot be bothered by coyote again. Thistle stopped and sat there panting while she waited.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
The ending to the story that Thistle told was kind of beautiful and sad, and Charon grimaced as the story came to a halt. Coyotes... He hated them, but even he felt a little sorry for the coyote. Everyone did things they weren't supposed to sometimes, so to be paid by having your entire race doomed to be mangy scavangers seemed rather harsh. He doubted if any of the coyotes knew or believed such stories, though. "That was beautiful... And kind of sad." He actually felt a little silenced by the story, and though there were no stars to be seen since it was daytime, Charon looked up into the sky as though he actually expected there to be one of the packs Thistle mentioned. "I'll be sure to look at the stars tonight to try and look for them." Whether the story was true or not, it didn't matter. It'd still be special once he found a cluster of stars.

"I'm gonna head off now. It was nice talking to you again," said Charon, an appreciative smile on his face. He bumped his nose to Thistle's cheek and then he turned around, making to leave and mull his thoughts over in his head, both the things he'd heard in the story as well as his feelings towards Amekaze.