Moonspear sweet talker
252 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
@Charon tho!!!! after goldhawk comes home, before heat!

Eshe hated to bear bad news, but she knew that she must. She dashed toward Moonspear, her mind burdened with the information. Though Goldhawk had done his utmost, if she could assist anymore herself on a personal level, she'd try. That was what family was for, wasn't it? She left Neverwinter by day and arrived to Moonspear a little after nightfall, and immediately upon arrival Eshe threw her head up and called for @Charon. Though she thought of Floki, and wouldn't mind (at all) him joining them, Eshe figured she had better get that business out of the way first and foremost.

The alpha of Neverwinter kept a good distance away from the borders, definitely not wanting to get too close for anyone's comfort. Here she waited, her eyes darting around the landscape and looking for any signs of her (favorite) pale cousin.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
do you want to update this to present time post-locusts maybe? :)

When he heard Eshe's voice, Charon made haste towards the borders because he hoped that she was bearing good news — and the culprit that had raped Dhole with her. Even though Dhole had left now, Charon still wouldn't mind taking the guy's dignity and then his life, if not only for some sense of gratification after losing Dhole despite trying so hard. A petty revenge, perhaps, but that wasn't how Charon saw it.

"Eshe! Did you...?" he asked when she came into view, and he absently nosed her cheek in greeting while waiting for the reply.
252 Posts
Ooc —
I was thinking beforehand, like this being as soon as Goldhawk told them! BUT ... We should have that thread too!!!

When he came into view, it took all her willpower not to just run up and hug him. Her tail beat at her sides, a veritable duster for all the dirt that she had obtained on her sprint here. As he arrived, and when he was in reaching distance that did not mean she'd be trespassing, Eshe moved to nuzzle him in turn, all too happy to see him.

Charon!!! It's so good to see you! And it was! He looked better than ever to Eshe. I mean, the dude was the Starlord, basically. Ah, as for the question... No. Goldhawk was very close. Met a wolf named Samuel who ran in the pack he had joined. But apparently, Goober's disappeared. She took a breath and went on: They smelt of springwater and foxes. Goldhawk said as he returned he caught the same whiff, southeast of Phoenix Maplewood... beyond a flowery meadow. She took a shaky breath, and frowned. I'm sorry... I was so sure we'd get that... that... her mouth wrinkled as she spit out the word that was fitting, but strange sounding from her sweet and well-mannered mouth. It'd have sounded funny, too, and perhaps still might, if it weren't for the situation at hand: bastard. She grimaced, and looked to him with disappointed eyes. How is Wildfire holding up...? And Floki???
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
sure! :)

Charon waited with bated breath for her answer, but unfortunately it wasn't a good one. Maybe he should've realised that ripping off someone's head wouldn't make up for all the things and that it wouldn't bring Dhole back, but somehow it felt like it would have. He let out a frustrated sigh as he realised that they weren't going to ever catch Goober. He had disappeared. Charon idly wondered if Dhole had anything to do with it, but he couldn't really imagine her in her irrational mind would have been able to find him before Goldhawk. She'd left way later. Maybe if she ever returned he could still tell her that he had killed Goober. Though would it really make a difference? And why would she even return after what she had done?

He frowned as he processed Eshe's story and tasted the question that she asked about how they were holding up. "Dhole up and left, the ungrateful bitch," Charon said, his expression hardening as he spoke. He didn't want to allow himself to feel anything in regards to Dhole anymore — let alone see anyone else that her departure hurt him. That he'd loved her, in some form or another, and that her absence still left a Dhole-sized hole in his heart, for she had been among his inner circle. "Flóki's pretty broken up about it, of course. The pack's been small lately, but we'll survive." At least gentler times were approaching now — things would get better, they always did. And before winter, surely they would thrive once more and pull through next winter as they did through last.
252 Posts
Ooc —
Eshe swallowed when Charon brought up that Dhole, who must have also been Wildfire, left. Eshe tried to understand it, but on behalf of Charon could not find herself doing too much work in that department. If Charon was upset, then she was, too. Wow. Not cool of her. What the hell, why? You had all these plans with Goober... and she left? She shook her head, shocked by it but not at all denying the allegation. I'm sorry she left. I don't know how close you guys were, but I do know you were doing something really big for her... Something out of the realm Eshe knew other leaders might do for others that weren't biologically family. Nepotism was for real, Eshe'd seen it firsthand.

As far as Floki went, Eshe frowned. She hadn't seen hide or hair of him, but maybe she'd make an effort to later, while she was here. Is he around? she tacked on, and then sighed. I know Scimitar's not here but maybe the three of us can go on a hunt. Let off some steam, maybe???? You and Floki might need it the most right now... an' my mama had always told me that there's nothin' like a good meal to help your spirits soar. She waited a beat and grinned. Anyway, with you at the helm, your packs survival ain't a question! You got this, Star-man! Her tone lacked any hint of mockery, and her gleaming eyes showed she was totally serious: she had all the faith in the world in her cousin.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
It was clear from Charon's face that he was upset with the situation — Dhole had been so close to him and she had left him. He didn't even really care about the fact that a wolf of his pack had left, despite his pack being rather small of late. He just cared that Dhole had been one of his very best friends and she'd left him and then snapped at him as she did. All he'd wanted was to help her, because obviously she had not been thinking clear, and this was his gratitude...

"Yeah, she just left. She came to me to tell me she couldn't live here anymore because things between her and Flóks were weird. I said that it just needed time and that Flóki would do anything for her, 'cause he would, and then she said she didn't even want to try. When I tried to stop her from leaving because she obviously wasn't thinking clear, she snapped at me and ran off." Charon frowned, feeling anger and sadness rise up, but he pushed the feelings away because he was with Eshe, not with the ungrateful Dhole.

A smile tugged at Charon's lips when Eshe suggested a hunt and even moreso when she praised him for his leadership skills. "Thank you. The pack's been slimming after getting through the winter full, but we'll be fine as long as we get some new recruits through summer." He took a deep breath and then decided, "Yeah, let's do a hunt." And he rose his nose to the air to call for @Floki , hoping his brother had time to join them.
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
Floki had heard Eshe's howl earlier, and when Charon called for him he hastened to meet his brother. When he arrived, he was pleased to see that Eshe was still there, and his tail began to swing as he approached the two pale-coated wolves. He greeted Charon by bumping his nose against his shoulder -- which had become almost a customary sign of recognition between the two -- and then directed a friendly yet taut grin at Neverwinter's Alpha female. He knew that there was only one reason for her visit.

"Did you find him...?" he asked, his expression shifting anxiously between Charon and Eshe, searching their faces for an answer.
252 Posts
Ooc —
Wow, that's... that's right awful, Charon, that she'd run off from you like that. Y'all were just trying to help... and be there... and Floki... she'd met Floki but once, but she felt she was the sort of person that could just see the heart of someone. She'd looked at Floki and just knew the man was a good one, and talking to him furthered her opinion of him which was nothing short of positive. She shook her head, sad... but still fiercely angry for what had occurred to the girl. If Eshe caught wind of Goober ever in her life, she'd tell Charon regardless. That was the most she could do about it for her.

As far as how the pack was doing, she worried for his mention of the pack slimming down. Ah, but wasn't he just right about the Summer? From what I know, Summers ought to be bountiful... in more way than one. That's just my experience, she said with a grin. Little did they both know a plague was coming for them all! It was then Floki arrived, and Eshe's gaze panned to him. Her tail waved at the sight of him... but she herself frowned at the question, because she wasn't the bearer of good news here.

Ah... no, I didn't. He'd been caught wind of but the trail ended up being cold, she looked to him, her expression full of sorrow. 'm sorry... I know that's not enough, the sorry, but... Goober's gonna get it. Someway, somehow. That's also not enough... gosh, she didn't know the right words to say, and just felt awful about the failure--it showed.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
A smile fell across Charon's face when Eshe mentioned summer's bountifulness. Perhaps spring had been a miss as far as pups went, but surely summer would bring them better opportunities. "Me and Ame should be expecting pups too this year. Hopefully soon." He assumed, at least, that she meant that, too.

Floki then arrived and the bump of nosr to shoulder was returned. His words were filled with wry hope, but Eshe was quick to quell it. Charon decided to run with her idea then and suggested, "Eshe thought we might go hunting with the three of us. You know... meet each other in regards to more positive things."
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
Disappointment landed heavily on Floki's shoulders, and it was plain to see in the slight slump of his posture. He shook his head gently as Eshe apologized, but couldn't force words to his lips. It's not your fault, he wanted to say. Your pack went above and beyond the call of duty to help us in the first place. However, the fact remained that Wildfire was gone, and Goober was nowhere to be found, leaving Floki with a mess of loose ends that he just couldn't tie up into a neat little bow.

Charon then added that the other reason they had called for him was to hunt together. It was the last thing Floki really felt like doing, but he wasn't going to turn down his brother and Neverwinter's Alpha. "That's a good idea," he agreed with a subtle swish of his tail, his pricked ears showing that he was ready to follow Charon's lead.
252 Posts
Ooc —
Eshe let out a little gasp at his words, tail waving wildly behind her. For all the negativity she had brought, here, the man of the stars, brought in that twinkling light. Really! Charon, that's just great! Maybe we can set up puppy play dates, with our kids???? If I have any, I mean. If it works out. Little cousins! Eshe was thrilled by the idea, really.

She could feel Floki's disappointment. Even if it weren't in her, Eshe felt horribly for the failure. Well, if ever they met that... that... Goober, they'd deliver him. Charon fortunately diverted the subject to her suggestion, and she smiled at him thinly--she did not wish to detract from Floki's mood any, or pretend his thoughts and disappointments did not exist, but she was game to transition to a hunt if he was. And he was!

What're y'all cravin'? Charon, y'wanna lead the way? Her own tail waved, and she patiently awaited the answers.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
"That sounds lovely," said Charon with a soft smile. Eshe was great; her only downfall was, really, that she was not a part of his pack and that she was mates with an asshat. Things could be better, but Charon was just going to grab what he could get right now.

Charon was asked to lead the way but he nosed Flóki's shoulder in request instead. "How about you lead today?" He hoped Flóki would accept this request because Charon was looking forward to seeing him at work.
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
Both Floki and Eshe deferred to Charon to lead the hunt, but the Alpha male had something else in mind. He turned to Floki and touched his shoulder, inviting him to take point. Floki's brows raised in surprise and he almost protested, but quickly changed his mind. He wasn't a hunter by trade -- although he had aspired to be when he was younger -- but still had the basic skills and instincts of a wolf.

He nodded eagerly. "Let's see what we can find," he proposed, dropping his snout to the ground in the next instant. He drew away from Charon and Eshe, nostrils flaring as he sifted through the scents that peppered the ground. For a short while, he moved along in silence, aware of the presence of the two Alphas behind him as he searched for a viable trail.

"Deer," he suddenly murmured, and gestured for his companions to follow. There was a herd that often frequented the foothills of Moonspear, and hopefully there would be some ripe for the picking; he salivated in anticipation as he spotted the group. Three does were grazing quietly, and Floki hashed out a plan as he observed. "What if we try to flank them from either side, and then I'll come in from behind," he suggested.
252 Posts
Ooc —
Eshe's gaze panned to Charon as he invited Floki to take the lead. She was down for whatever, and her tail waved when Floki took the lead. Eshe observed Floki as he sniffed around, taking a half-step toward him, nostrils quivering as she tried to detect anything nearby.

He caught the scent first as she and Charon trailed him, and her eyes followed where his landed.

His suggestion on how they went about this was answered with a look to Charon. Sounds good to me, she offered, and waited to see if Charon agreed himself. Hopefully, there was a weak one in the bunch.
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Flóki quickly agreed to lead and Charon and Eshe followed in silence while they started to track. Flóki was the one to find the herd of deer, and Charon knew he'd made a good choice to dub him this hunt's leader, then. He waited for Flóki to come up with a plan; which came as swiftly as finding the deer itself.

"Sounds like a plan," Charon agreed and he came into motion, ready to flank the three doe — hopefully one would struggle to get along.

feel free to pp charon along to speed the hunt up :)
780 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Ranger
Figured I'd just edit an ending onto this since it's pretty old. :)

Once Eshe and Charon agreed to the plan, Floki gave a determined nod of his head. His gaze hadn't yet left the trio of deer and he licked his lips subconsciously as he prowled forward, allowing his hunting partners to fan out to either side. Although he didn't look at them, he was aware of their locations, hyper-attuned to their movements.

The wolves presented a united front and it wasn't long until the does became aware of their presence. Three heads popped up, dark eyes watching the hunters warily. There was nervous shuffling of hooves and flicking of tails as Floki accelerated. He moved instinctively towards the smallest of the group; the deer began to trot away, then run, bounding over the barren ground.

He drew close enough to snap at one animal's haunches and it veered sharply towards Charon. He hoped that Eshe would help him drive their prey towards Charon and fully separate it from the comfort of its herd.

After careful work by the three wolves, they were successful in bringing down their target. The meat was split, with some for Eshe to take home to Neverwinter Forest, while Charon and Floki tucked their own remains into the pack's caches. Little did they know that this was the last full meal they would enjoy for months to come.