Two Rivers Isle Running up a mountain, chains tied to my feet
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
All Welcome 
He rested near the basin overnight, then rose with the sun and continued his wearisome journey to the west. Once more, he found a mountain in his path. Peregrine deliberated over whether to turn north or south. He played eeny, meeny, miny, moe and wound up turning toward the distant coast. He strode alongside a slim, winding river, bypassing a large plateau (quite possibly the same one he had skirted around days ago) and finally slowed and stopped for a pit stop on a chunk of land plunked between the swollen forks of aforementioned river.

The June sun beat down on his back as he stretched out on a patch of dirt. Peregrine noted, dimly, that there were little shoots of green peeking out of the soil. That was a promising sign, although it would be weeks before the grasses properly regrew and maybe months before the herds returned to graze on them. The black wolf drew in a deep breath, nevertheless allowing himself to feel optimistic for the first time in what felt like ages.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
I'll help you out!

Ezekiel was out hunting, hoping to catch anything to satisfy his hunger. He traveled a bit from the mountain, hoping a long excursion might lead him to some food. He stopped by a long river, watching it flow swiftly and ripple like a night sky. He attempted to catch a long silver trout, but failed. Frustration quivered his lips as he kicked a pebble. With an angry sigh he continued across the river, hoping he might have more luck on the other side. 

After a bit of walking on the small island, he caught on to the scent of another wolf. He wanted to avoid the wolf if possible, for he was rather antisocial. But at the same time, hunting by himself wasn't helping any. Besides he needed some work socializing and this was a good chance to do so. The large grey male followed the wolf's scent until he saw an older black wolf lying down on a patch of cool dirt. He barked at the male, alerting him that he was there. Hopefully this guy was friendly. Last time he had hoped for a hunt with a mysterious wolf, she had attacked him out of the blue. So this time he was prepared, and as ever, on edge.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Thanks so much for rescuing this. :)

The longer he lay there, the more Peregrine came to appreciate the beauty of his surroundings, even without the supporting cast of typical spring foliage. It reminded him of the Flightless Falcons' territory near the seaside. A sudden feeling of nostalgia washed over him. He couldn't know whether or not green was also sprouting up back home. But if it wasn't, maybe there was more hope for his family in a place like this. He could raise his youngest sons between these rivers, where game was sure to be plentiful during better times. It could be like a throwback to his own childhood...

A sharp bark dragged him unceremoniously from his daydreams. Peregrine sat up straighter, jade eyes narrowing as he tried to pinpoint the source of the noise with the only one that actually worked. When his eye clapped upon the other wolf, he blinked several times in rapid succession. "Seb?" he blurted. Then his brow furrowed and he shook his head, realizing quite quickly that this wasn't Sebastian. Maybe it was his father? Or some other family that happened to look just like him?
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
No problem :)

This was starting to get annoying. Who was this guy who apparently stole his identity? Why did everyone he met seem to think he was somebody else? Ezekiel's ear twitched in annoyance but he kept his calm. He looked over the other wolf quickly, taking in his scent. He smelled different then the crazy female, which hopefully meant that this guy wouldn't turn on him. The last wolf who'd 'recognized' him hadn't taken a second longer to lunge for his face, and Zeke really wasn't up for a fight today. 

No but I've been told we look alike. He grumbled almost too quiet to hear. My name's Ezekiel, I don't know a Seb. Sorry. Of course he wasn't actually sorry, it rather bothered him that this kept happening. But he was good at seeming sincere and he didn't want to provoke an attack from this male.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
So he wasn't a relative, though someone else had already pointed out the resemblance to Sebastian. Interesting, Peregrine surmised before saying, "No apology necessary. It's just uncanny, how much you look like him." With that, he dropped the subject of his former pack mate, as he wasn't that interested in pursuing it any further.

He was more interested in Ezekiel as an individual and what he might know about the area. "You from around here, Ezekiel?" he asked conversationally enough, black tail lashing slowly back and forth.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Luckily the other wolf dropped the subject, for it didn't interest Zeke either. However Seb was, he didn't concern Zeke, so it didn't matter much to him. But if one more person mistook him for the guy he might have a problem. The male asked him a simple question and Zeke shook his head. I'm from a pack to the east of here. Silvertip Mountain. Not wanting to go to in depth, for who knew how the other wolf would react to Ezekiel's pack. The way the other guy smelled was of a pack wolf, and for all Zeke knew, they could be enemies. Ever on edge, the young grey male flexed his muscles, digging his paws further into the dirt.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The response that came took Peregrine by surprise. "Duty's pack?" he questioned rhetorically, interest mildly piqued. His head cocked. "What brings you out this way? Also looking for greener pastures?" he guessed before adding, "Duty used to be a part of my pack, Redhawk Caldera, before he left to found his own." He fell silent then, letting the other wolf get a word in edgewise, even as his dusky jade eyes tracked idly over their surroundings.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel furrowed his brow, a bit confused. This other wolf seemed to know of his pack, but Zeke didn't know any wolf named Duty. Steady was the alpha now, and Zaria was alpha before him. Finally it hit him that the older wolf was referring to Zaria's mate. All that Zeke knew of Duty was that he had died only recently before Zeke had arrived. Hopefully this guy wouldn't be too upset with the news. Yeah. He said, referring to the question about why he was there. Now onto the other thing.

Yeah I am but, FitzDutiful died a little bit ago. I never knew him I came after his death. His brother is alpha now. I'm sorry. The large grey wolf didn't like the feeling of being the messenger of such sad news. But if this wolf knew Fitz then he had the right to know what happened to him. What's your name by the way, if you don't mind. He asked, remembering that he hadn't asked before.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Peregrine's mouth fell open in surprise again, this time the less pleasant variety. He blinked, then pursed his lips a moment before replying simply, "Man." He wasn't sure what else to say. If Ezekiel had never known FitzDutiful personally, there was no reason to give condolences. And although he was saddened by the news, it didn't really impact him too much in the end. "I'm glad his pack is still around," he said a little lamely, though the sentiment was genuine.

"Ah, my bad," he added when Ezekiel requested his name, "it's Peregrine, Perry for short. Have you found anything promising?" he wondered next. He hadn't, at least until happening upon this place. "This is the first green I've seen in miles... and weeks." His eyes trailed to the sparse batches of newborn grass at his paws.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Peregrine seemed a bit saddened by the news at least, but Zeke was glad the guy didn't get too emotional. Perry offered an awkward sort of condolence, but Ezekiel accepted it with a nod. It was quite a sad fact, but the famine seemed to be taking everyone. Poor Zaria though was who Zeke worried about most. She seemed very distant, and Zeke still hadn't truly met her. He made a mental note to seek her out sometime, so they could have a proper greeting.

So his name was Peregrine, or Perry. The subject of his name didn't stand for too long for Perry changed the subject back to whether he'd found anything. The Manchester followed his gaze down to the grass spots. They were sad and ridiculous. Winter's Bluff had more grass than this in winter. But it was green, so it was a bit promising to the eye. No not really. I've seen some green along the coast and bit back home, but this is a lot I guess.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
He remained silent for a beat after Ezekiel responded, turning the words over in his head. "Guess I'll head that way next, then," he thought aloud, referring to the other male's mention of the coast. "In fact, I should get a move-on." He shifted, preparing for imminent departure, though he took a long moment to drink in the sights and smells of this place, commit it all to memory, before looking to Ezekiel again. "Was nice meeting you. Take care."

He nodded simply, then turned and padded toward the nearer water course, following its flow north in the direction of the distant seaside. Peregrine hadn't really thought about it until now but maybe he would be able to find food on the coast. Fish wouldn't be affected by the famine after all, would they? He swallowed, saliva pooling in his mouth as he hastened his steps despite his weariness, his pace soon carrying him out of Ezekie's view.

Thanks for the thread! :)
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
There was a slight pause after Ezekiel spoke, as Perry thought. When the black wolf spoke again, it was of departure. The conversation had been brief, but Zeke didn't mind. That only meant all the more time for himself. He watched Peregrine prepare and then the male looked back once more to say goodbye. Nice meeting you too. Zeke replied with a respectful nod. He sort of wished he'd asked more questions, he would've like to learn what pack Perry was from. He assumed he was alpha, and it was good to know who belonged and who led what pack. Oh well, maybe if they met again Zeke would feel more social.

The shale grey wolf stood and yawned, realizing that it was getting late. He flicked is ear to clear the buzzing of a fly, then continued on his way back to the mountain. Empty handed for Zaria's pups, but going home.

No problem! I'll archive <3