Broken Boulder The Bountiful Famine
The Laughing Disciple
4 Posts
Ooc — Derk
Private 
    Food. Lokk always enjoyed food. He also missed food when it wasn't around...like now.
    Lokk stepped one paw in front of the other. Slow and methodical. His typical jovial self seemed to slip away as memories, exhaustion, and hunger slowly wore him down. Lokk's heavy paws shuffled through dry soil without ever noticing that he left the hard packed snow of the mountains months ago. He had seen no other signs of life other than the occasional mouse, weasel, or grouse that continued to feed his ever shrinking stomach.
    Lokk's paw tripped over an overturned root sticking out of the ground like a cougars claw. He stumbled forward, tried to raise himself, then just laid down again looking straight ahead into the eyes of nothing.
    Well, He thought to himself with a little chuckle in his throat and a glimmer of his old self, if I die then maybe all these trees will give me a proper farewell. I hope the service doesn't last too long. After all, every wolf knows how long a tree can talk.

He chuckled again, which turned into a cough, which turned into a whimper. He slowly closed his eyes to rest just for a minute.
13 Posts
Ooc — Jake
Orkan didn't know what had brought him this far north, at first he had crossed a couple streams near forests and that was promising for prey but for some reason he had decided to keep pushing farther and farther north. It didn't make any sense but here he found himself in a rocky plain with a split boulder near the middle of it. The black wolf padded quickly across the plain like a dark shadow, "Hopefully this plain will at least have burrows that will have delicious little morsels housed inside." thought Orkan. Even though the vegetation had begun to make a recovery the area was far from where it should be and Orkan felt in his bones that it would still be sometime before he could taste deer again. Luckily he had also spotted what appeared to be a forest on the horizon to the west, "I'll work my way across this plain looking for something to eat and if not then at least I'll have the forest to try and there should at least be something there.".

As Orkan began his zig-zag route across the plain he suddenly spied a light colored lump that broke the monotonous grey and green of the surrounding plain. Orkan's heart nearly leaped right out of his chest, "IT'S A DEER!!! Hopefully it's a deer!", the dark lanky wolf tripped at least twice in his hurry to get to the supposed prey. As Orkan got nearer though the familiar scent of wolf filled his nostrils and he came skidding to a stop next to a wolf that looked like he was on deaths door.

Orkan dipped his head and prodded the prostrate wolf on the cheek with his muzzle, "Hey, you ok? You have to get up, come on." Orkan nudged more insistently, he was in this exact situation when he had come to Teekon and if it hadn't for Qamar he may not have lived beyond that first day so he was paying that kindness forward.
The Laughing Disciple
4 Posts
Ooc — Derk
Private 
Lokk tried his hardest to get the taste of soil and grit out of his mouth but he couldnt quite seem to get enough saliva. With eyes still closed he tried picturing happier times of cool mountain air, dark pine boughs, and the closeness of a pack. It had been months before he saw any of these things and could feel the disappointment wearing him down.
   But no. He would not let himself become discouraged. He had a job to do...The Law must go on. He began to recite the memorized words in his head.
    Every...wolf...must know the way,
    of the ones...who've gone...before them.

At that moment he felt the disturbance of a presence nearby. Their paws kicked up dust which made it difficult for him to breath and see. He coughed slightly and looked up to see a slender, dark coated wolf. In failed to respond, at first, from weariness and surprise as the wolf nugded him and spoke. Finally Lokk found the energy to speak.
   "Isola? What are you doing all the way out here. You are still pretty despite the travel my sister. Don't let father catch you out here or you get a paw swipe again..."

His voice cracked as he coughed heavily again and put his head back down on the ground.
13 Posts
Ooc — Jake
Orkan sat worriedly on the ground next to the delirious wolf, he was very clearly in bad shape and would need help of some kind soon. Orkan glanced around the plain that surrounded them, it was quite rocky but maybe there was enough low grass to support some rabbits, he ran around the plain trying to sniff out some prey. Orkan returned dejectedly to the wolf, there had been a few scent trails but they were old, before the locust swarm possibly and he could find nothing to help stabilize the wolf. Orkan had nearly spent all of his energy in his attempt to find food and he lay next to the strange wolf who was now mumbling something to himself, "Hopefully I'll have energy to try again in a little bit, neither of us are going to last long if I can't find food soon.".

Orkan rested for some time, as the sun began to dip low and the threat of night was approaching, Orkan felt it was time to try to rouse the wolf again "Maybe he's gotten enough rest now as well.". Orkan dipped his head again and, more insistently this time, nudged the wolf's shoulder, "Hey come one, you've got to start moving, we need to find something to eat or we're both going to waste away here. My name's Orkan, I don't know this Isola that you're talking about." Orkan thought that maybe it was another wolf that was nearby that was also in bad shape, "Is she nearby? Were you traveling together?"

The Laughing Disciple
4 Posts
Ooc — Derk
Lokk opened his eyes as he heard a gruff, male voice grating against his ears.
    "-nearby? Were you traveling together?"
    Lokk shook his head roughly as his vision began to clear. Why did he think he saw Isola? That was odd. She was supposed to be dead....wasn't she?
    "By thunder and lightning. I'm....I'm sorry my brother. I mistook you for something else. Between the vast amounts of food I've consumed, (he laughed sarcastically) and the great quality of this air, it really causes one to lose focus yes? I mean..."
    Lokk stopped abruptly. He was glancing over the gangly, dark wolf's shoulder. His jaw was caught midway between his sentence and he began to drool very suddenly and in large amounts.
    He only said one word that expressed what held his concentration in a vicelike grip.
    "Food."

He charged past the wolf in a lumbering gait towards the scurrying creature who was sniffing around a large boulder in some tall, yellow grass. It was a scrawny jack-rabbit.  The creature turned and panicked. It began to retreat backwards, obviously forgetting the boulder that was there. It then tried to veer to the right but Lokk was able to throw his shoulder that direction and roll his open jaws in the way of the rabbit's escape. That special move of throwing his shoulder is a special move that his family is known for. It's called the 'Lawborn Lay-down.'
    Lokk's jaws clamped tightly around the rabbit's neck and he killed it abruptly. It's little limbs twitched for long moments as Lokk turned the bleeding creature towards the dark wolf.
    Lokk trodded over, now infinitely better and more joyful, and plopped the corpse in front of his fellow wolf brother.
    "Tend the hungry, sick, and cold.
Eat to sustain, no more, no less,
No matter if you are young or old,
This is the way a wolf is blessed...
One good turn always deserves another my fellow wolf. Would you care to share this meal with me. As my ancestor stated I probably do not need to eat more than my fair share. Although,"
He said with a hopeful look in his eyes "if you do not want to have the rabbit I will understand as well."

Succesful hunt roll :)
13 Posts
Ooc — Jake
Orkan was so glad that the wolf was standing and talking, especially being able to run down a jackrabbit, albeit a rather skinny one but still food. Orkan was afraid that he was going to have to consign the wolf's soul to the Abyss and into the Great Old Ones care and, from the way the wolf spoke, probably not the ceremony that he would want performed. Orkan didn't want to perform the ceremony either but not knowing how this strange wolf cared for his dead kind of limited his options, and doing something was better than leaving him here in this plain. Needless to say Orkan was eternally grateful that he didn't have to raise those dark memories, not have to revisit those disturbing images in his mind.

"My name's Orkan," Orkan grinned and bowed before the mountainous wolf "pleasure's all mine." Orkan could tell that the wolf wanted nothing more than to scarf the jackrabbit down on his own, but these were lean times and he needed to eat. "I'll gratefully accept your offer." Orkan bent and, holding the rabbit against it's back leg with his left forepaw, tore the top half of the rabbit for himself the warm taste of blood and tickle of fur already getting him salivating. Remembering his manners, Orkan deposited the top half at his feet and licked his chops, "What's your name? How did you come to the Teekon Wilds?" Orkan began eating patiently waiting for a reply.
The Laughing Disciple
4 Posts
Ooc — Derk
Lokk watched as the dark wolf named Orkan began eating his half of the jack-rabbit. Orkan seemed to have something in his soul that was as dark as his coat. Lokk couldn't tell if it was a dark past, or a vengeful soul. His inabilaty to read wolves was still limited due to his immense hunger. Orkan asked for his name, but he was momentarily silent as he began wolfing down his half of the rabbit. The stringy meat and salty blood began to fill his frame with energy once again.  Finally he consumed enough to let out a belch and an answer.
   "Oh," he said as he let out another belch, "pardon my heathen manners. My name is Lokk, Lokk Lawborn. It is no secret why I am here although the truth may be...enlightening."

Lokk guffawed loudly at his own joke but stopped as he was not sure if the dark-coat would understand his laughter.
    "I am on a mission. I was sent her by our wolf ancestors to teach the Wolf-Law that our brothers and sisters have forgotten. My family has preached the law for generations until a certain...event... has landed the duty upon myself. I am hoping that there are more of our wolf siblings here in these 'Teekon Wilds', yes?"