Golden Glade train.
91 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
Private 
It was Aster's full intent to take the King up on his offer of training her, for she planned to protect her blood in whatever way she could. In Aster's mind, Eden and the well-being of her pups were of utmost importance, not to mention the safety of the King's children. Having had her own litters stolen away from her, she didn't want any other mother to experience what she had to everyday.
The boys probably aren't even old enough to walk yet, right? Do they remember me? Do they call her momma?
With a swift call to Alder -- a request for his presence -- Aster readied herself for whatever trial he posed, whether it be a spar or a simple conversation. She wanted to show him how capable she was, no matter what she had to do to prove it.
[Image: tumblr_n0b5qbN1WW1sslmnmo1_400.gif]
King
"Bad boys aint no good, but good boys aint no fun."
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Alder had done a lot of mulling over their newest recruit: she'd been a part of another pack, he'd scented it on her coat. She was also partially if not mostly blind, and related to Eden by blood. Was she really only here to be with Eden? Like with all of their new recruits, he was sure to trace their progress, finding their scents around the Glade, on hunted prey, mixing with the borders. Nothing so far made him any less willing to trust her -- when the call rang out to call to him, he went. 

The King found her, sitting patiently, and approached much louder than he usually did; allowing his massive paws to slap the earth with each step so that she might feel his approach. 

"You called, Aster?"
91 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
Aster greeted the King with a respectful bow, though made no attempt at eye contact. I wanted to take you up on your training offer. I'd like to be able to finish my trade and contribute as much to the court as I can. With her final words hanging in the air, she turned her head to match their gazes as best as possible.
I appreciate you allowing me into your home. There aren't many leaders willing to take in a blind and unskilled wolf. A nod of her head and she was turned back to the scenery, taking it all in with one deep breath at a time.
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Her lack of eye contact, while he would usually take it as she was hiding something or being rude, did not offend the King. He didn't know just how blind she was. The pale woman -- the only kind they seemed to have in the Court -- got right to the point, something Alder very much liked in those around him, taking him up on his offer of personal training. A smile lit the mans inked face, and he nodded at once.

"Ill be happy to help you every way I can. How blind are you?" 

Her show of appreciation brought a rumble of affection from his chest, and a slight shrug of his massive shoulders. Aster was right :  not many would take on one or the other let alone one wolf of both afflictions. In truth, it was for Edens benefit. If she wanted her family here, who was he to tell her no? Eyes might not be able to be healed -- that he knew personally -- but skills could always be taught. As long as there is both a willing student and teacher, anything was possible . 

"You're right, not many would. You'll soon find things around here aren't exactly the same as wherever you came from. If you're willing to learn, there are many of us with the trade in Mercenary, and all would be willing to help. Sylvas is earning his too: maybe you two can train together."

His voice was full of the pride he felt in his family and the passion and truth that he felt. The mighy King was happy to launch right into getting to know what skills she may already have.

"We're you taught to hunt by feeling through your paws? To feel things through the hairs of your pelt?"
91 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
Aster smiled and turned to properly face him as he explained his stance on her situation. I can see enough to make out basic shapes -- I know when there's something else around me, I just don't always know what it is. Then Alder brought up Sylvas, the newest addition to Aster's small family line. She'd have to meet him eventually, and maybe he would be up for a spar.
Because I can see silhouettes, Aster began, explaining to him how she was able to hunt, I was able to tell how large or small the prey was, and I would let my hearing tell me where it was and where it went. Once I approached -- normally with others around me, unless it was something small -- I used the more sensitive fur on my face to feel for movement. It was a dangerous game but it worked, for the most part. As far as fighting went, Aster was sure that things would have to take a different route.
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Alder was quiet and attentive as Aster explained that she could see shapes, silhouettes -- she followed her sense of hearing and the whiskers of her face to feel for closer movement. In short, no, she did not feel with her paws: this was a much less dangerous game, Alder found, and even though he had better sight in one eye but none in the other, with one ear shredded it was harder to even hear. 

"The one eye I have left is perfect visioned, but the ear on the same side as my damaged eye is ripped up pretty bad: I couldn't rely on hearing, couldn't trust that it wasn't distorted."

From where he stood a couple feet from her side, Alder smiled. 

"Close your eyes tight, and pin your ears. I'm going to walk around you, various distances away, but I want you to keep your face to me from where you stand. Get it? Focus on feeling my steps against the earth in the pads of your paws."
91 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
Knowing that Alder shared the same impairment (she'd noticed, but hearing it said secured the thought) placed a shield of trust over Aster's mind. So when he commanded that she trust only her paws in tracking his movement, her hesitation lasted no more than a second. She took in his location one final time before shutting her eyes tight and inhaling the air around them. 
As he circled, Aster's brow furrowed. She was unsure which way he was going so she trusted the breeze to tell her. Should she be right and the barricade to the Eastern wind be Alder's body moving clockwise, then she could allow her pads to take over. It was frustrating, but she was confident that he knew what he was doing and that she would be able to learn.
King
372 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Aster followed his orders without hesitation, and the Pryor began to circle her the moment a paw left the ground to track him -- the massive man stepped normally at first, moving in but one direction to make the beginning easy. When she easily followed after, his paws lightened, and he drew further from her -- he stayed in the same direction for a while longer, allowing the rules to bend as she moved out of place to follow him. This was okay too, he supposed -- it was the same idea, really, whether she stood still and just kept her face to him or actually followed, so long as her eyes were fully closed and he didn't think she was using hearing to follow. 

After a few minutes of this, with each step lighter and lighter until the brute felt like he was floating across the earth -- he didn't expect her to feel every step in the pads of her paws, but he did expect her to get better as time passed. She could not and would not be a master right away, and this was okay -- it took time to learn and to adapt, and he was willing to give her that time. If this method didn't help her, the King would find another way. 

I wasn't sure if she'd moved from the center of his "circle" or not, so please correct me if she didnt! (Even though either way Alders cool lol)
91 Posts
Ooc — Nadia
You're fine lol
As her pads slowly began to lose track of the male's vibrations, Aster furrowed her brow in frustration and let out a short bark to let him know that she lost his position. She sighed, defeated and ashamed, before calling out to him once again. This is a lot harder than I thought, Aster murmured, only half joking. She didn't like feeling incapable of things she thought to be simple, thus the irritation was slightly evident in her voice.