Redhawk Caldera that he came down on Monday
338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
Joining 

scoff. he would've liked to right there, and at himself too. to join a pack that he did not rule over was a hard blow to him, but the weather had become so bad he could hardly stand it. he didn't have time to pull up his own gathering of wolves, not today, not until spring. perhaps next winter he'd have his own pack, and his choosing of ladies to pass on his wonderful genes to. he had preferred amara, for she was gorgeous and oh so wonderful. but she'd chosen someone else, and so he decided he had no time of his own for that. her loss, he supposed.

but he stood at the borders (well, a ways off) of a pack. one he'd remembered quite clearly from his time in Teekon, he was surprised they were still there. he gave a loud howl to leadership, waiting patiently and-- however much it irked him-- submissively for someone to come greet him. he was healthy and handsome as ever, and planned on being respectful, he saw no reason he would be turned away. he only prayed a lovely lady would come greet him.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
There was a gigantic bull moose sprawled near the borders. Raven approached it warily, the bitter cold numbing her nose and making it difficult to scent anything. As she crept closer, she deduced that it must be dead. Still moving slowly, she approached the hulking body and just stared at it. Then the wind began whipping against her and, wincing, the Gamma did a turnabout to head back and share the news of her discovery with the Alpha pair.

She hadn't gone far at all when she noticed the dark clouds in the distance and froze. It almost looked like a thunderhead. The Gamma's brow furrowed in confusion. It didn't storm in winter, did it? Before she could consider it much further, the wind howled in her ear. Rather, the wind buffeted her again, savage in its frigidity, and carried to her ears the sound of a howling wolf. Shivering, teeth chattering, she turned and squinted.

Unwilling to venture to him, Raven tipped her black muzzle toward the gathering gloom and invited the stranger to, "Come closer!"
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
As soon as Elwood left the shelter, he regretted it. It seemed even colder than it had been the day before, if that was possible, and the wind had kicked up. He bowed his head against the blasts of frigid air; he strongly considered retreating, but forced himself onward. They needed to eat, and it was his job to provide his family with food.

He was aware that Raven was out and about as well, so when he spotted her he hastened towards her, hazarding a quick glance at the darkening skyline. His intention was to tell her to go home before the weather worsened, but he drew up short at the sight of two figures: one belonging to a strange wolf, and the other a large moose, lying still on its side and collecting a layer of snow. For a moment, he ogled the massive carcass and began to salivate, but then he licked his lips and frowned, turning his gaze on the unfamiliar wolf.

Elwood had never been an overly aggressive guardian, but things had changed: he was Alpha now, and the last unfamiliar male to join their ranks had tried to upend the leadership and had threatened his family. He wouldn't let that happen again. Standing stiff-legged as the cold air swirled around him and seeped into his bones, he called out, "What do you want?"
338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
truthfully, the man had paid little attention to the moose-- more focused on not dying of hypothermia. aaron eyed the wolf who came into view, even through the weather he could tell she was a woman. his blue eyes studied her, though not so disrespectfully as it was curious. "i can help," he barked to her, offering a kind smile, though his teeth were gritted as wind whipped against him. he moved forward, as she had called to him, but stopped at the voice of another, who spoke with more purpose. that was the voice of a leader, and aaron liked to think that he too spoke with purpose and importance-- but another time he would exercise that talent.

"i am aaron odolf-- i seek shelter and a home," he called into the storm, focus on the male, "i am a seasoned warrior and guardian." just in case this man was something like himself, the dashing male lowered his head a tad bit more, to show more submission, though it burned a hole in his stomach. he was surprised so many wolves were out and about now as well-- especially with the dooming clouds that rolled in behind him.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Raven moved to meet him in the middle, just beyond the borders, shivering violently. The wind was really picking up now and she thought she heard the grumble of thunder. She didn't have time to think on it before Elwood appeared at her side, facing the stranger. She scooted to stand at his shoulder, giving him a friendly nudge as he began the interrogation.

She didn't intend to interrupt or interfere, yet Raven found herself blurting, "What're you doing alone at this time of year?" As if to complement her words, there was a startling flash. The world seemed colder and grayer just afterward. Thick snow began to fall and there was another ominous rumble.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood lowered his head slightly as Raven shifted closer to him and greeted him with a touch to his shoulder. He appreciated the respectful maneuver, as well as the small amount of warmth her proximity offered. As heavy snow began to fall all around them, the stranger adjusted his own posture and introduced himself as a guardian and warrior looking for a home. Elwood couldn't deny that the caldera was in need of able-bodied wolves to help provide for the five newborns and his own two children -- but could he trust this Aaron?

He had the feeling that he and Raven wouldn't have long to decide; the weather was hurrying them along with its insistent wind and menacing thunder and lightning. He blinked to clear snowflakes from his lashes, waiting for Aaron to answer Raven's question.
338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
"i lived here a while back. i left to help a friend, and returned when they no longer needed me. i did not anticipate that it would be this cold so quickly," he explained, shutting an eye as icy wind nipped at his face. it was true, mostly. he helped no friend, merely took over a failing pack and left it when he grew bored. there were no women who fit his fancy, and they were-- as a whole-- quite boring. the wilds had been the most interesting place he'd ever lived. he was abled bodied and useful, but fear pricked at his spine that they were not in need of anyone else-- and he'd be denied. he wasn't sure where he would go at this point.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
"Here? At the caldera?" Raven asked, blinking over at Elwood. He didn't seem to be familiar with Aaron and while she had been gone a long time, she knew he had lived here since the caldera's conception as a pack. Her yellow eyes returned to the stranger's face. She squinted, not out of mistrust, necessarily, but because the thick snow was already beginning to obscure her vision.

She cast a worried look at the dark sky. Fortunately, they had relocated the pups to the cave with the entire pack, so Raven didn't have to worry about them being cold or frightened or anything but well looked after. Still, she wanted to get out of the elements and get back to them. One black ear twisted as she considered whether it was worth the risk of taking a perfect stranger back with them to such close confines, even though they could certainly use another able body.

She was glad it wasn't her decision to make. Raven planted her feet despite the gathering storm, prepared to stand by her uncle and back up whatever call he made.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood shook his head as Raven questioned the stranger's statement. Aaron had never been a member of Redhawk Caldera, as far as he knew -- and the pack had only formed a few months before Elwood's arrival in the Teekon Wilds. He assumed that Aaron meant this area in general, and gave him a chance to clarify.

All the while, he was weighing the pros and cons. Obviously, Aaron could potentially be a hearty, contributing member of the pack. Or he could try to overthrow Elwood and Finley, as Kaizer had attempted to do to Fox. Or -- even worse -- he could prove himself to be untrustworthy around the firebirds. For the first time, Elwood felt the burden of Alphaship; internally, he was warring with himself. He saw no real reason to turn Aaron away, and knew that it would be cruel in this weather. But was he willing to take a chance?

He glanced at Raven, then turned back to Aaron as a particularly strong gust of wind ruffled his fur. "Okay. We've hunkered down as a pack inside the mountain. It's safer and warmer in there. But there are two-week-old puppies -- and you're not to go near them. You'll help provide for the pack, so we can care for the puppies. But one wrong move, and you'll find yourself back out here, in the cold," he said, his tone clipped and efficient and his yellow eyes sharp.
338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
and he was accepted, finally. the man dipped his head respectfully, but inwardly was only agitated that they had taken so long to let him in. he was clearly able-bodied... but whatever. "of course, i will do whatever you need of me," he replied, and he would. while he preferred to not be in the lower tiers, the man did at least understand his place among this pack. he nodded to the elk. "i will help bring it in, it will be plenty of food for at least you and the pups." his gaze turned to the black she-wolf, who was originally going towards the dead-beast. it returned to the alpha-male, then, waiting for one last word of reassurance that he was free to come into their borders, and could begin to drag the elk in through the weather.

vague, feel free to PP aaron if you want to fade this out, otherwise i'll respond again!
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Within another moment or two, Elwood begrudgingly accepted the stranger into their midst, with a warning about the pups that Raven punctuated with a steady, pointed look. It occurred to her how this must look to Aaron: he probably mistook her for the Alpha female and the pups' mother. The yearling didn't bother trying to set the record straight right now. Aaron would learn for himself soon enough.

"I need to get back to the pups. You should put him to work," the Gamma suggested, pointing her snout toward the hulking moose carcass and flashing Elwood a little smile. After nipping his chin, the she-wolf shot Aaron a parting glance and then hastened back toward the cave.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
I'm good either way; we can continue this for a little while, or we can wrap up! :)

Now that the decision had been made and Aaron had pledged himself to Redhawk Caldera, Elwood gave a decisive nod. He pushed away the voice in the back of his head that questioned his judgement and his abilities as an Alpha. There wasn't time to second-guess himself. He gave a small smile to Raven as she excused herself, then refocused his attention on the newest pack member.

The weather was continuing to worsen around them, so he turned his shoulder to the wind. "You can help me with this meat, and I'll show you where we're staying," he said, finding he had to raise his voice to be heard over the rumbling thunder. Turning his attention to the moose carcass for the first time since laying eyes on Aaron, Elwood began using his paws and teeth to tear at the frozen hide.
338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
great! last from me <3

[small]he smiled to raven as she left, dipping his head respectfully. as she left, she seemed vaguely skeptical of him, and he noted that curiously in the back of his head. to the alpha, he gave another gracious dip of his head and began towards the hunk of dead meat. elwood began to tear at it, and aaron followed. together, the two dragged the thing back to the cave they were sheltering in, and aaron placed himself neatly in a corner. soon, he thought with agitation, soon he'd be out of this ruddy little pack listening to someone else's commands and back to his own, former glory.[/small