We are one
248 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
This joining thread is for the group traveling with Julooke. Julooke, Verrine and Barristan will be representing the pack, so it isn't mandatory that your character reply to this. However, if you would like to reply, that's fine. We're trying to make this thread as easy and quick as possible. ^_^ Also, I have the Lion King song "We are one" stuck in my head as I type this.

[size=medium]
The group had collectively made their decision to try and join the pack in the northern most part of the area. Julooke herself had not spoken with any of the pack members, but she had heard through the grapevine that they needed numbers and were a good pack. The majority had spoken, and she would not speak against them. She had long before made the decision to go where the group wanted to go. And, today, their destination was Dragonwatchers.

Her head turned towards her beloved brother, Yildun, and she softly nudged his shoulder. She didn't really have a reason to other than to just let him know she was here. She was worried he would be turned away due to his blindness. However, if the leaders listened and got to know him, they would see he was anything but useless. He contributed just as much as anyone, just in his own way.

The group approached the boarders and Julooke stopped a respectable distance from the markings. She looked around to her family, making sure they were all there. Satisfied, she looked to Verrine and Barristan. She knew the two males had quietly, maybe almost unconsciously, been vying for leadership of the group. She also knew it would be one of them, or maybe both, who introduced the group to the pack. In her own mind, though, she had been following Verrine. It was part crush, part instinct, that she did that.

But, it would be her who called out first. She wasn't sure what made her do it- it was the first time her howl had been heard in quite some time. She supposed it fitting that it be to call on the leaders of their potential new home. Her voice died down, and she sat back on her haunches. Verrine and Barristan could work their charm now, though she would speak if needed.

[/size]
<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
I hope it's OK for me to go ahead and post. I'll be vague about who's present and whatnot. Also, I'm going to be NPCing Ray. :)

From her perch overlooking the hot springs, she spotted them even as they made their way toward the plateau: a small pack of wolves. Koontz did not know their intentions. All she knew was that a group of strangers was approaching her borders. Apprehensively, she stood and howled for Ariston to come, if he was within earshot. She also requested the presence of Ray and any other pack mate who was free to flank her as she confronted the encroaching group.

No one replied directly, yet Ray appeared, sliding alongside her like a larger-than-life shadow. "Thanks for coming, Ray," she said to him, then motioned for him to follow her. The wolves were coming quite close now and they had no time to waste. Hopefully, Ariston et al would catch up. Exchanging an anxious glance with Ray, Koontz sucked in a deep breath, squared her shoulders and began loping down the plateau to meet them.

She lifted her head and tail as she came closer. He did as well, keeping his a bit lower than his sister's. Koontz's pale eyes flicked from one wolf to another. They all looked fairly young. None of them appeared to be threatening, at least outwardly. The Beta did not relax, however. She tried to pick out a leader for the group, though it was the twins—for she took them to be such—that eventually drew her eye. Their pale fur stood out to her, as did the male's strangely blank eyes.

She braced her forelegs and stopped at the group's anterior. "Can we help you?" she asked brusquely, feeling Ray's shoulder brush reassuringly against her own as she faced the ragtag band of strangers.
<small><i>avatar by lieu</i></small>
67 Posts
Ooc — Charmy
This'll be Yildun's only post, unless directly spoken to <3

this used to be my playground
this used to be my childhood dream
this used to be the place i ran to
whenever i was in need
of a friend
[size=3]why did it have to end[/size]

Knowing that it would be best for him to be in a pack and not remain as a lone wolf, he had eventually gave a silent nod when it had been discussed with the rest of the group as to if they would go try to join a certain pack or not. He would go wherever his sister and brother went, that much was a given. He was worried, though, that he would be turned away no matter where they went because of his blindness. The young male truly wished that would not end up being the case, though. He wanted to be given the chance to prove that he wasn’t useless. Granted, there were things that he couldn’t do, but there were other things that he could without much problem. Plus, he knew that his sister would help him in any way if he needed it and asked for it.

The feel of her nudge to his shoulder was reassuring. He’d remained as close to her as possible during their travel from the southern part of the land to the north. His ears slicked partially backward and he reached out to touch his nose to her cheek. A hushed whine escaped from him as he did so. Yildun was nervous, afraid that he would be turned away because of his handicap. When they came to a halt, Yildun was torn between keeping himself plastered to Julooke’s side or hanging back with the others. He knew that there was some tension between the two older males in the group (Verrine and Barristan) but, honestly, Yildun followed his sister who followed Verrine. Whoever she followed, he followed as well.

When the first arrived at near the borders of the pack that they were seeking to join, Yildun remained as close to Julooke as he could, keeping his side touching hers even when she reclined into a sitting position. His ears were in constant motion, listening for the sound of someone coming to answer Julooke’s call. Instantly, his ears slicked backward, picking up sounds with his heightened sense of hearing that made up for his lack of sight, signaling that someone was coming. For a few minutes, he was torn between remaining beside Julooke or stepping further away to go to his brother’s side. It was not an easy decision for him. The sound of a female voice that went with the scent he was smelling, caused him to lower his head a little, showing respect for that moment.

Finally making his decision, he chose to leave Julooke’s side and moved to be as close to his darkly colored littermate brother, Arrakis. They were like Yin and Yang, night and day. Yildun’s milky white, sightless eyes remained fixed forward, unseeing. He had moved as carefully as possible, relying on the scent of his brother to get him from where he’d been at Julooke’s side to where Arrakis was standing. His face was slightly sunken looking from the depression and lack of sleep, but his body was of a decent weight. He made himself eat, at least enough to sustain him and not let him go hungry. But he didn’t eat with nearly as much gusto as he had many months prior. For now, he would remain silent, still as possible, unless directly spoken to.

<i>family, duty, honor</i>
8 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Sorry about not getting to this when I said I would. Stupid work getting in the way. <3

Barristan had agreed that finding a pack soon was the wisest course for their group to take. Julooke had suggested the nearest pack to where they had been hanging out lately, a pack named Dragonwatchers, or least that's what they had gathered from the other passersby they had met. Barristan didn't know where the alpha had gotten the name, since it was a little strange, but he didn't say anything. If the pack would allow their large group to join, he would be grateful.

Julooke was the one to call for the leaders and it didn't take long for a grey female with icy blue eyes and a subordinate male to join them. The female asked the appropriate question and Barristan looked toward Verrine, wondering if he would take the lead in his. The two males had been quietly vying for power within their group, and at this moment they were equal. Barristan was not jealous of Julooke and Yildun's loyalty to him, nor anyone else's, really. Barristan had come on this trip to watch over his family, and he was doing just that.

Turning toward the grey female with a deep bow of his head, Barristan spoke for the group, "We are seeking a pack to join, miss. Between us we are hunters, guardians, and skywatchers." With a backward glance toward the group to make sure they were okay with him continuing, he said, "We heard of your pack from a few travelers we passed within these lands. They said you were a good pack, though mostly empty. We hope our number would not overwhelm you, if you allow us entry."

Another breath later he added, "My name is Barristan Stark. These wolves are my family, in a manner. We've traveled far and wide looking for a new start, and we believe these lands hold that for us."
marrow of the spirit
87 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
I'm a slowpoke too. Sorry guize. Lots going on for me right now! :)

Truthfully, Verrine hadn't really cared for the idea of joining another pack when the subject had been brought up for discussion among their group. Were they not already their own pack? Though they had no clearly defined leader -- despite the fact that Verrine himself assumed that role, though his authority was more in a decision-making context and that of being responsible for the others' safety than it was a matter of hierarchy -- he felt that they were strong on their own and had sustained themselves quite well under the circumstances. He wasn't eager to subject himself or any of the others to the rigors of assimilating into a new pack, and he certainly wasn't enthusiastic about bowing his head in deference to another. His time as leader of their vagabond pack had built up a subtle confidence in him that he had not possessed before. He felt in his heart that he, along with the help of Barristan and all of the others, could ensure their survival and happiness without the help of anyone else in these lands.

But the others weren't so sure. Perhaps it was the security of a large pack that drew the others to seek these "Dragonwatchers" they spoke of. Verrine had been slow to agree, and even now was uncertain. But he said nothing of it. As they made their way north, he remained close by Julooke and Yildun. He cared a great deal for each individual member of their group, but it was these two for whom he cared the greatest. He would guard them both with his life and, though no one spoke of it, he shared the same concerns about the possibility of Yildun being refused entrance into this pack on account of his blindness. If that came to be the case, Verrine would remain with Yildun. His loyalty to his Draak's family ran deeper than his desire to join some pack he had never heard of.

As the scent of wolves began to grow stronger on the wind, things happened relatively quickly; Julooke turned her white muzzle to the sky and sounded forth a summoning howl, her bright, clear voice echoing out into the stillness around them with a lingering beauty that made Verrine's nape tingle and inspired in him the desire to join her song. He kept quiet, though, and a moment later, he heard a stranger's howl rise into the silence following Julooke's. It didn't take long for a pair of wolves to approach them, both draped in varying shades of pewter and white and carrying themselves with an unmistakable manner of authority. Clearly, they had found their Dragonwatchers. A terse inquiry was made of them, and Verrine noticed Barristan's glance in his direction. He gave a small nod, indicating that Barristan -- who, between the two of them, was by far the more eloquent one -- could speak. He nodded when Barristan finished his introduction, pleased with the tawny male's words, and looked at the silver-coated pair, wondering what would happen next. He remained protectively beside Julooke and Yildun, prepared to defend them if need be.
<center><font face="times"><font color="#99938d"><small>A T  T H E  C R E A T I O N ' S  H O L L O W,  A  S U D D E N  W H I T E  L I G H T  G L E A M S<br><i>like a wayward sentient spirit in the mire of space and time</i></small></font></font></center>
<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
Because the summoning call had been feminine in timbre, Koontz expected one of the she-wolves to step forth as a spokesperson. Instead, a tall stranger with a tawny and cream coat spoke, his copper eyes averting as he bowed his head. The youthful leader acknowledged this gesture by dipping her own grizzled snout, then pricked her ears to attention as the male explained who they were and what they wanted.

It surprised her a little that such a large group would seek to join a strange pack, rather than found one of their own. Koontz's pale eyes panned over the group again, counting them. They were already a pack in and of themselves. Surely, there was even a hierarchy amongst them. Yet, as her eyes returned to Barristan, she felt that they were being genuine. For reasons she couldn't know yet, they wanted to be a part of Dragonwatchers.

She almost asked the obviously question—Why?—but, after exchanging a glance with Ray, she held her tongue. Their pack could go from small to large with a single word. There would be many more mouths to feed now and many more bodies to house. In exchange, though, they would purportedly be acquiring hunters, guardians and even skywatchers. Koontz thought of her father and wondered if Ray was doing the same.

"Well, I need to find out who these passerby are and thank them for the recommendation," Koontz said lightly, breaking whatever ice remained between herself and the group. "You seem like the spokesperson for the group, Barristan. Could you introduce everyone and tell me of any special skills, if any, they possess?" Perhaps those in the group would want to introduce themselves, yet Koontz thought they could avoid confusion this way.

"I am Koontz, the Beta here," she introduced herself to start, "and this is my brother and Sigma, Ray. And this," she finished, sweeping the plateau behind them with her eyes before her gaze returned, specifically landing on Barristan's own copper keekers, "is Dragonwatchers."