Lost Creek Hollow no good deed
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca

He'd returned to the valley in time to watch the sun rise, and imagined what it must be like to the wolves of Easthollow in the company of their stones. The beauty would be lost to Tulimaq, who did not cater to such vanity, but he did wonder if there was a power to the stones. Perhaps the dawn would awaken it — perhaps the stars. Before long he had overshot his intended destination (meaning to gather Merrit for further lessons) and was trailing east, to the hollow which had been Tulimaq's doorway to the wilds.

The scents had grown more complex. Before, having followed the plush girl Aerasha to the territory's fringe, he had found many fresh scents. They seemed to have become ingrained to the soil. There were fresh marks among some of the trees, and with each new layer to these scents that he found, the more Tulimaq's curosity — and desire to push the limits — grew. He was keenly aware of the territory's edge, of the claim that lay before him. He wondered what sort of beast inhabited this previously empty vista. Would they be worthy of their prize?
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
there was a man at their borders. terance pushed through the underbrush along the borders, towards the scent that floated past him. 

when the man came into view, terance realized he did not recognize him, but also that he was not doing anything wrong. besides just standing there. the gray man squared his shoulders, straightening his posture, before he padded up to him. ears pushed forwards, terance regarded him curiously, tail still but held out behind him, level with his back.

"can i help you?" he asked the stranger.
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca

He was pleased that the borders were being well-maintained; that did bode well for the creature that emerged and found him loitering there. Tulimaq gave pause when he heard the shuffling of steps, the crunching of tired leaves. When the stranger emerged, Tulimaq was quick to get a good look and make his judgement. A healthy male, and with scars to boot — perhaps the valley had finally found itself some warriors?

You are new to the hollow, he commented as a way of response, deflecting from the question because it seemed obvious (at least to Tulimaq) that he was nosing around for a purpose. Tulimaq is not afraid of getting closer; his posture is not entirely relaxed but he isn't threatening the other wolf, although he wants to. He wants to ask about the battle that brought about that scar, if there was one. I came through here a few weeks ago and it was empty. Where do you come from?
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
the man did not say why he was here, or what he wanted, he merely commented on the hollow's current status-- which was occupied. terance's gaze steadied upon the stranger, silent even after the comment, until the man decided to ask a question.

"from sunspire mountain," terance returned, unsure why this man was asking, perhaps he was from a neighboring pack? the hollow's alpha saw it fit to ask. "and yourself? where are you from?"
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca

Another mountain? One he had never heard of before. For a valley so heavily populated, and with folk not accustomed to warring and battle, they were surprisingly tight-lipped with their information. It sounded impressive so he assumed it was one of the monolithic peaks beyond the western wall of cliffs and ridges; however, it must not be good enough. There must have been something wrong with it to cause them to migrate — or, perhaps there had been a battle after all. Maybe they were driven out by a stronger force. Questions, questions, possibilities...

The valley is my home, for now, Tulimaq remarked cryptically, although it had not been his intention to avoid every question. He added, I am an explorer and a tutor. I have been teaching some of the youth in this region how to fight in exchange for information. Tell me — do you have children? He is no fan of kids, but it is an easy route for earning the confidence of the adults.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
"no," terance lied. he had children, but they do not live here. and even if they did, terance was a very capable mercenary, and did not need a stranger teaching them. he and treason and rannoch and every other mercenary in this pack were mentoring rannoch and liffey's kids. and though terance was unsure if this wolf was asking to do the same for his kids, or merely commenting on what he did, terance made the assumption he was offering his services. and terance did not want them.

"we are capable of teaching our young," he added, a bit sharply, his brow creasing down. then, curious, and unsure of where this conversation was headed, terance pushed on. "are you settling with your own band of wolves?" are you starting a pack? are there more of you? "what intel do you want?" terance had intel on a handful of things, he could be useful in a small cluster of ways-- but he was unsure if this wolf was coming here for information or... what. what was he here for?
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca

He smiles. It doesn't happen often and it certainly doesn't look natural. If anything it looks a little forced, and stern. He looks like his grandfather (not that Tulimaq would ever know that). It is interesting to him that this man has no children; he is of the correct age, and seems fit and strong, holding a commendable presence even if he doesn't mean to. This is not the leader he is speaking to, though. So far Tulimaq's dealings with the local wolves have taught him that the wolf in charge is rarely making rounds. A pity. He wonders too, who could best this man and rule over him.

When the questions are turned back upon him, Tulimaq looks away; he relaxes a little bit, thinks, and comments easily, I'm alone. So far nobody has impressed him enough to make him swear loyalty, and he hasn't made a great impression on any rooted band of wolves. He doesn't expect to either — they are too foreign to his ways. Well, except this wolf, and perhaps his people. Tulimaq misses his warrior brothers and sisters.

I want to know how strong you are, he drawls next, gaze flashing as he looked upon the swarthy wolf again, because strength is important. The wolves of this valley are very different from those I was born to. Their children — some of them had not heard the word warrior before I came to teach them. It is... Strange. He licks his lips, gaze trailing to the dirt as he considers this admission. You look like you've seen battle — did that drive your migration?
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
it is understandable that he wouldn't think terance leads this forest. in terance's mind, he still does not. it belongs to rannoch. the pack is rannoch's, and liffey's, and one day it will belong to their kids. it is merely circumstance that put terance in charge, and though he wears the badge of leadership with pride, and takes it seriously, he does not think it to be permanent. though he firmly believes it is wraen who receives dominant genes, he is dante's son-- and buried within his chest is a natural born leader. however, terance, more emotionally driven than most, will push that aside to accommodate for those he loves. he would die for rannoch before he would live for himself.

"the cold season is upon us," terance comments casually, in his mind thinking this man stupid for being alone. in a few short weeks the prey will scarce, and hunting alone will be a hassle. he could starve. but he says nothing. 

he found the comments on strength to be interesting-- mildly concerning, as well. he was unsure what exactly he thought about them. what, did he plan on driving them out? only see that they were a strong, capable pack that could not be driven out? terance found himself feeling defensive, but he pushed his aggression down. this man had not done anything outwardly wrong, yet, so terance felt he could not reasonable lash out. 

"our children know what that is," he replied, ears pushing forwards, "our ranks are strong in number and skill. the children follow our example." though, truthfully, terance was unsure what it was that rannoch and liffey's children enjoyed. okeanos always seemed like he might take to fighting, and even ibis seemed stubborn enough to partake. but terance would not know for a while, he supposed. he suppressed the thought. 

and with a slight roll of his shoulders, terance added, "we did not leave because of a war." but he was not incorrect in saying terance had seen battle, though, truthfully, the man had seen less than it may have appeared. he was just unlucky. "my scars are from two incidents with bears, and from a battle with a rivaling pack." of course, one side of his shoulder held scars from moonspear, from the fight to save galaxy. they were old, healed. newer, a reminder of his closest friend and the coywolf who had given her life trying to save him, fell in a thin, clean line across his back, almost cutting his hind legs from his torso. it was still fresh, but not very deep, as the bear had hardly grazed him. but it was surely scar, they always did.

terance added with a gentle raise of his chin, "but they are no longer a problem."
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca

He almost lost interest when he admitted their leaving wasn't because of war; had he known the truth, that it was famine, he might've reconsidered his desire to eventually explore further west. Tulimaq remained attentive when there was mention of bears and then, growing more curious, battle. He was right to assume this man was a warrior. It pleased him that he was no longer the only proven creature of combat in the valley.

Tulimaq knew he was making the man uncomfortable with his questions; he would be equally suspicious of any beast roaming outside of his claim, should he ever have one. In fact, he would be less inclined to speak — likely more prone to the gnashing of teeth and the spilling of blood. Tulimaq was thankful this man was more level-headed than himself.

A battle! I knew I was not wrong in assuming your strength. Whether he meant the man specifically or his pack, his people, his offspring, was not clear. But his mood shifts easily to something more disarming, and a small smile - a real one - breaks through the chill he typically hides behind. He steps back, watching the guardsman, and comments — The thrill of battle keeps us young! Tell me, who did you fight, and why? I assume your people won the day, but how? He's talking quickly now, clearly affected by the prospect of information. He pauses though, and takes a breath. Or, better yet, you could show me your skills. It would be an honor to share my experience and to learn from yours, it would be preferable to sparring with children anyways.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
suddenly, the man seem riled up. but with thrill and excitement-- a smile painted across his previously solemn, quizzical expression. terance hardly had a chance to answer before he requested a fight. a fight? for fun? along the borders? terance had sparred plenty of times, but never with a stranger on the borders. and never his own pack. the offer felt strange but, truthfully, terance found himself feeling suddenly inclined to the idea of a fight. he had been tense, lately, understandably. perhaps it'd help. he almost wished treason were nearby, so that she could stand by in case there was ill intent at play. but she wasn't, and terance was feeling a little fighty-- now that he thought about it.

"a pack called shadow mountain," he answered anyway, "a wolf named nikan took me on. it was over territory, they harmed one of my wolves." cassiopeia. who he missed, too. but he pressed the emotion back now. he didn't extend this bit of information to the man.

his chin tilted up again as he considered the request one final time, though he had already mostly made up his mind. and then his head dipped one time to accept the offer. "i could stand the practice," he returned, an inkling of a smirk playing along the corner of his mouth. "on guard~" 

his shoulders squared, head lowering, bracing himself on his side of the border, terance gave the first move to the guest. like a good host would.
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca

It made sense that one mountain pack would find issue with another; it didn't surprise him much that there were so many mountains either, it made him pine for one of his own. For home. For the life he left behind — and would one day return to.

The stranger seemed surprised by his offer for a spar, but he still agreed. It was good that he did that. Tulimaq would've found some way to test this place and its people, one way or another. Better that they do this amicably. He does not want to earn himself more enemies than he needs, even if the prospect is enticing.

The first move came from the dark guardian, and while Tulimaq could see it coming and anticipate it entirely, he let the wolf move upon him without raising his defenses. His eyes caught upon the ripple of muscle beneath his warm, dark coat. Learning how an opponent moves, and how they structure their first blows, gives the most information. The shadow manages to get quite close and Tulimaq finally weaves away, but staggers and doubles back in one fluid motion — reaching with a strike of his own.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
finally fuckin responds to this

terance was close, but no cigar. as fast as he moves forwards with his attack, he finds himself weaving away as the man opposite of him gives a strike of his own. the dark alpha avoids it narrowly, catching only the dull umpf of teeth against a thick shoulder. this was a spar-- nothing was meant to hurt or maim. terance remembered this easily, and it seemed his partner would too. 

this time, terance backed up, catching himself and putting himself on the defensive once again. he circled, tail steady, ears angled forwards. his posture begged the challenge-- come at me.
330 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
lmao — I'll conclude the spar with my reply if you want, then we can have some closers, or I could just archive? Let me know.

They tussled for a few rounds and while Tulimaq did not tire easily, he noticed that the other wolf did not either. It was a good match. It made him wonder if leaving the valley was really his purpose — surely having one pack filled with worthy warriors was enough? But deep in his heart he knew that was untrue. He might have enjoyed testing this man, training the youth of the valley, and making sure the wolves of the area were prepared for battle — but it was more of a let down on most days. Tulimaq would relish these moments of combat (even mere spars) in the coming days, thinking back to the stalwart male and his easy movement, strong punches (so to speak), and evident skill.

Terance finally gave an opening that Tulimaq could not ignore, and so the man dove in for an attack. It was well telegraphed, but so was the dark wolf's baiting technique, so the two were still on par with one another. He decided to go easy on this final assault and within moments the battle was turned against him, and Tulimaq raised his tail with a defiant wag as if to offer a white flag to his opponent — enough, he was saying soundlessly, I yield. They were both breathing heavily and Tulimaq was beyond pleased with the outcome; he knew that winning a spar was not so important, they were meant as tools for learning, and he had learned much from the stranger.

A good match, he finally commented, feeling the warmth of his adrenaline seeping through his muscles. You are quick and strong. Your people must be glad to have such a capable wolf among their ranks.
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
the man yielded, the ended of a short but good spar -- terance decided. he was a guardian, not a warrior, and though the man protected many wolves in his time, he had never quite mastered the art of offense. defense, he supposed, was his strong suit. either way, the spar was all in good nature. 

"i agree," said terance with a toothy grin, a single sweep of his tail. and then, to the compliments, terance dipped his head low. "thank you, i take care of them the best i can." though terance did not know his name, he did not ask, and the man left soon after. terance lingered, just in case, and when the coast was clear he took off back into the territory -- feeling a bit prideful.