Lost Creek Hollow Collectively
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
The weather had finally cleared.  Though that was a relative term.  It was still definitely winter, it was still pretty damn cold, and wandering outside the forest brought you into some pretty moody wind.  Here, though, it wasn't too bad.  She wandered her way towards the edges of the territory but wasn't too keen to go to the borders quite yet.  They'd still be there when the weather calmed a bit, and Treason was always good at checking the borders, so it wasn't like they'd be neglected.

She had things on her mind, most of them just pointed towards the future.  With Laurel and Indra bailing and that one other dude not sticking around, their numbers had dropped sharply in the past month.  Treason should go recruit or something, not that it'd gone all that well last time she'd tried.  Her one recruit was the one she captured, and relying on people to be stupid wasn't exactly the way to find awesome people worthy of keeping around.  Treason paused to absently sniff at a game trail.  She needed some clues, about more than just what tasty snacks might be around.  Meh.  Maybe she should check in on those others who were still around.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet had been accepted by @Terance (I assume, if not chomp chomp) and confirmed that he would indeed be staying in the Hollow. He enjoyed the traveling, and would likely continue to range, but it was good to have a place to settle in again. There were a lot of wolves here, none of whom he knew aside from Liffey and Rannoch and Terance. But he had time to meet them, and more than enough patience. He wasn't worried.

For now, he acquainted himself with the forests. They were pretty, rich and full, far more so than any he'd spent extended time living in. It felt safe, somehow, in them. One of the parts he liked about places other than the caldera he grew up in was that not every place was so open. That territory would always have a special place because of the memories there, but he would say he preferred the cover to none.

He saw her abruptly while he was wandering, and stopped, watching. He didn't want to interrupt, in case she was doing something important, but didn't want to startle her either. So he stayed where he was and said nothing.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Similarly, assumptions shall be made that Treason knows that Gannet exists!  He was a friend of several of the pack, wasn't he?  Something like that.  It had been a quite amiable welcome from the sound of it, not that Treason had any opinion on the matter.  There was a new guy and she didn't know him, huzzah.  And so when she spotted the unfamiliar figure along her route it wasn't too difficult to put two and two together. 

It was probably good to check in with him, so she headed over.  Treason was not a creature of tons of smiles, but she flicked her tail a couple of times in what might have been a lazy wag, and her expression was just her normal rather serious self,  Are you settling in well?  Treason was pretty sure she was getting better at the whole being a reasonable person thing (or at least pretending to be).  At the very least it was enough to not turn them away.  The ones that had left had left for their own reasons, as far as she could tell.  As long as she followed the script and nobody did anything too unreasonable, it'd be fine.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She seemed friendly when she noticed him, if not enthusiastic, but Gannet never much minded lack of enthusiasm. He gave a slight wave and a smile back, and nodded. Yeah. Who are you? She was large, larger than he was, and seemed to hold herself in a way that instinctively told Gannet to defer. She reminded him of Amekaze in that actually, a bit. His own confidence had always been of a more casual sort.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
That was a refreshing bit of bluntness in his question.  Ah, to be new.  Treason, she said simply. I assume Terance or another, because not 100% sure if it would have been Rannoch or Liffey at that point and I really doubt Treason would use a cutesy shipname to combine the two, would have mentioned me when talking about the pack and whatnot.  Then again if he didn't, nagging him about that will probably be fun.  She ended with a mildly wicked grin, mostly because it sounded like a good amount of fun and it'd give her another reason to pester him besides leader things and patrols and all that nonsense.  Treason was pretty devious when it came to being annoying.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He did remember something like that, now that she said it. Yeah, they did. He said, happily oblivious to the nature of her smile and returning a simple one in return. Gannet didn't have much by way of a sense of humor.

You aren't from Moonspear. Another obvious statement, but so far everyone he'd seen (save Merrick) was. It was odd that of all the leaders, she'd been a newcomer. Where did she come from?
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She shook her head, No.  I met them when they were still en route to Sunspire.  It hadn't been an entire year yet, but it was starting to get close to that.  

Tipping her head slightly, she continued, You are, then?  Little bit later than everyone else.  And Treason also had to wonder if this guy would confirm or deny her cult theory.  Then again, since Gannet had left, maybe he wasn't the best test subject anyway -- she needed to examine someone who was still part of their number.  Maybe.  Who knew.  They weren't supposed to be enemies any more so it didn't matter, but that didn't effect her ability to be slightly suspicious of them.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet nodded, he was. I didn't come. he replied, then added fairly cheerfully, No one asked. But I got to stay, and now I'm here. At the time, he honestly didn't remember if he would have come with. Maybe? Though then Hydra would have hated him too. This was better.

I need to go visit, sometime, he finished, wondering what she'd think of that. He got the feeling Liffey wasn't fond of Moonspear even now, but he didn't quite understand why, and likely never would.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
The fact that Gannet didn't seem to mind being left out but eventually catching up with the rest kind of perplexed her.  She loved holding grudges.  So she just nodded like that was totally normal to just kind of brush things off and move on.  Yeah, not her wheelhouse, but at least it probably meant that he'd be easy to work with.

I'd be careful.  Though we're not enemies any more, one Moonspear wolf I ran into just before then was keen to pick a fight just because of our pack's history.  He had a pretty twisted perspective on what actually happened, from my understanding.  A big gold guy with an accent -- don't know if you knew him, but I wouldn't trust him to behave around normal people who left either.  That guy had too much of whatever koolaid they were serving over on that mountain. At least Gannet would have some forewarning.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Hmm. That was good to know, and meant he'd probably need to just keep a distance and call for Hydra directly. No, I don't know him, Gannet responded, thinking back and not remembering any Moonspear wolves with that description while he'd been there. He was glad to hear her say they weren't enemies, though he hadn't known they were before. That part perplexed him a bit. Had they been that upset when they'd left? On either side?

They aren't a bad pack. I just wasn't enough. He wasn't sure why he felt the need to explain why he'd left Moonspear to her, but for some reason he did. Maybe to defend Hydra's family? They'd been good enough to him while he was there. He'd just never felt like one of them to anyone but her. Here, he didn't get that sensation. Here, I will be. He gave a satisfied wave of his tail as he said that, knowing it was true because he was determined to make it so. This place was going to be his home, he was sure of it. And if he was wrong, well, he could always try another. Life was kinda cool like that.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Treason had thought the whole enemies thing was a little silly.  After all, if they'd stayed, there was every chance they would have overpopulated their mountain home, and then everyone would have to leave.  It was just a fact of life that people left, and at least giving proper warning was the polite thing to do, as opposed to just bailing and finding out they showed up somewhere else later.

Okay, that was a lie.  Certain wolves' departures she'd just frown on forever -- AKA Olive and Seabreeze -- but they had additional circumstances stacked on them.

Either way, the guy wasn't someone Gannet knew.  So there was every chance the pack had changed during his absence.  One of these days Treason should actually meet another of their number.  There's plenty of opportunity for you to be whatever you wish here, at least.  Is there anything you're looking to do, or just a bit of everything?  Given he wasn't enormous and/or covered in scars, she didn't peg him as much of a fighter (but then again, she was basically unmarred, at least from a cursory glance).  Too many other jobs weren't easy to visually identify.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
What did he want to do? He could fight and defend - those were the easy answers. At Moonspear he'd trained, but even there, it hadn't been about learning to be better at killing. It had been about getting better at moving, at using his leg to it's full potential. Hunting, fighting, they were fine but they didn't hold much for the passive wolf.

I like helping, he responded honestly, thinking of working with the pups and training them. Teaching, talking... and maybe even healing. None of these were things he'd actively pursued but when he had fallen into them in the past, he'd felt far more accomplished than he had while sparring. I want to learn to help better. It wasn't very specific, but it was more than he'd ever known before, so it was something.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Certainly there were skills that everyone had at least a little taste of (or enough to at least survive on their own, for basic skills), but the things that she considered more cerebral or scholarly or some other word like that which would accurately describe healing and just general knowledge or whatever weren't everyday things to her.  They were bonus assets -- perhaps they made up for someone not interested in combat, or not the best hunter.

Fair enough.  If there's something specific you'd want to do, we could do with another healer or something of that sort.  I believe Tarot is our only one now, unless someone else is hiding their skills.  Which was possible, it wasn't like everyone in the pack opened up to her.  I can't say I'm much of a help in that aspect.  My skills are... more focused towards towards doing damage, I suppose.  I help in a different way.  Which was sort of faintly amusing to her in comparison, but not really a full on joke.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Well, good news! Gannet's ears pricked up considerably when she mentioned a healer. He hadn't though they had any, and if someone here could offer some knowledge, he would definitely learn what they knew. He had feelings, sure, but those weren't always the best or most correct, and it would be nice to know more of the plants and where to get them. Tarot. he confirmed, smiling. He'd have to hit him up.

Protecting is good, he agreed with a nod, knowing her role was at least as important. He'd had that focus a long while but moved past it now because he'd found fighting just wasn't for him. He would defend if need be, but when it came down to it, he didn't like assuming he was right and the other wolf deserved to be hurt. Only rarely was that really the case. Do you fight a lot?
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Treason probably should actually get to know Tarot at some point as well. She kept out of his way when Rannoch was healing, but that was about it. That was pretty much most of her interaction with medics, though -- it meant she was doing something wrong if she had to spend a lot of time in their care or something.

At his question she did this sort of indecisive half nod thing. Like she would fight more but...  I don't get to spar as much as I want to.  But things have been quieter here than on Sunspire, when it comes to actual conflict. I don't know why but it felt like there was always trouble there. Not saying it's been perfect paradise, but at least other wolves aren't causing problems. No, instead it was bears and cougars, but they seemed to have gotten bored of tormenting the pack and moved on to greener pastures. And somewhat grimly, We'll have to be wary if the bear comes back in spring.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
There was a bear? That was interesting!! He'd have to keep that in mind and remember - he wasn't particularly afraid, just knew enough to be wary.

He could offer to spar with her, but sparring on Moonspear had been more a practice of exercising his injured leg than something he enjoyed doing. He didn't really want to spar much here, and he was glad to hear there wasn't much trouble. She seemed disappointed about it, which was odd, but he didn't need to understand that.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She nodded.  Yes.  It attacked Rannoch, and killed another packmate.  It pretty much disappeared after that. Maybe to hibernate, but I'm not sure.  I wasn't able to track it past a certain point. Thanks, Aerasha.  Whether or not it was her fault, but Treason definitely would blame her.  It's why he's not currently in a leadership role -- he's taken this time to heal. Though at this point she had to wonder if there was anything left to heal.  Psyche maybe?  She didn't know.  Wasn't her field.

I don't particularly want to deal with it again, either way.  Hopefully the bear would go some other direction that wasn't back towards them.  Maybe head towards some really annoying pack, though she wan't sure who.  Or just die in an avalanche -- that'd be convenient.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Oh wow, it had killed someone. Gannet's ears tilted and he nodded solemnly. I will watch. If he saw any sign he would let her know, and help them oust it. He wasn't the most aggressive of warriors but he'd known even from a young age how important it was to protect the ones around you from intruding harm.

So now Terance and she were leaders instead. Gannet wondered why Liffey had stepped down, not connecting that she would likely have done so because of Rannoch, but also not wondering enough to ask. He did have a thought though. Do you need anything? He didn't know her very well, or she him, but if he could do anything for her he wanted to try.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She nodded.  Hopefully Gannet and everyone else found nothing.  Hopefully the bear died when its den caved in or something equally mundane that was of no risk to any of the pack.  Chances were they wouldn't be so lucky.

Not at the moment.  I should probably go patrol.  You're welcome to come, or just continue along.  Treason shrugged a shoulder.  It was up to him, she didn't mind one way or another.  Treason had done her job when it came to checking in with new members, and she was independent enough that she rarely asked for assistance with anything (not exactly the greatest thing to be proud of).
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Hmm. I'll come, he replied. He had nothing else to do and if there were dangers around, probably better in pairs?

He would follow for the most part silently unless she chose to make some conversation, comfortable in simply walking alongside. Patrols were good for both learning the territory and for learning each other, even if words weren't involved.

last for me!
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She nodded, then signaled for him to come along.  A patrol it shall be!  Of course, she wasn't the most chatty of wolves, but at least during the patrol she could point out a few of the landmarks, game trails and what-have-you to make sure Gannet was fully up to speed about the territory itself.