Wapun Meadow let these shadows prove the sunshine
But in the silence I heard you calling out to me
263 Posts
Ooc — Ashur
Malachi wasn't able to offer smiles and nods where such gestures were due; every word Arlette offered only settled against him like a sweet yet heavy burden - sweet, knowing that Scarlett had remained true to herself even after she had experienced the betrayal of Duskfire, but heavy, for he had never been able to forgive himself for being one amongst those who had turned their face from her.

At some point in the young girl's spiel, the man sunk to his haunches, and his gaze fell from Arlette to settle on the snow. He didn't mean to look at anything in particular; in fact, he hardly registered how long he'd been staring at the ground at all. The youth's words phased through his ears, and while he heard her, his thoughts beat their rhythem like a sombre dirge.

Scarlett was dead, and if she had already turned to bones, then she had been dead for a very long while already.

A part of him had known, but the truth came no less easy. Scarlett was dead, and he could not change that.

There were many great lessons his friend could have taught her granddaughter; there were many great lessons Malachi could share in her stead, but why should such an honour fall on him? He felt he no place to speak on her behalf - and he wondered, had she passed in quietness and peace? Or had the violence of the world overtaken to destory her in the end?

He hardly counted himself worthy to be speaking with Arlette, and even more, to meet Scarlett's daughter, but he realized he missed his old friend, more than he had known, and carefully, he nodded.

"Yes, yeah. I'd like to meet your mother, and... I'd also like to see where your grandmother is buried. I... I didn't know she passed," he said softly, and he felt a twinge of heat, hearing Arlette call him Scarlett's friend. He hoped the winter queen had died counting him as one.

He rose to his feet, and when he turned to look upon Arlette again, he offered her a soft yet sad smile. "It would be an honour to share her life with you, or... what little pieces I know - but, let me save those stories for when we're with your mother. I'm sure she would like to hear them, too..."

... and he wasn't so sure he'd be able to do this twice.

Would you like to fade out and start a new thread in EH? <3 I loved this so much <3
Trades
[Image: warden.gif][Image: naturalist.gif] 1/5 | [Image: chronicler.gif] 2/5
Messages In This Thread
let these shadows prove the sunshine - by Malachi - January 28, 2019, 11:35 AM
RE: let these shadows prove the sunshine - by Arlette - January 28, 2019, 03:35 PM
RE: let these shadows prove the sunshine - by Malachi - February 09, 2019, 12:49 PM
RE: let these shadows prove the sunshine - by Arlette - February 09, 2019, 01:30 PM
RE: let these shadows prove the sunshine - by Malachi - February 10, 2019, 01:09 PM
RE: let these shadows prove the sunshine - by Arlette - February 11, 2019, 04:41 AM
RE: let these shadows prove the sunshine - by Malachi - February 23, 2019, 11:05 PM
RE: let these shadows prove the sunshine - by Arlette - February 24, 2019, 04:08 PM
RE: let these shadows prove the sunshine - by Malachi - March 15, 2019, 01:03 PM
RE: let these shadows prove the sunshine - by Arlette - March 17, 2019, 04:03 PM