Blacktail Deer Plateau the longing of the dead
i was born to the witch boleyn
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony

within the recesses of the trees, after the moon had risen high into the darkened sky, taltos had pursued a stag and his does. a striking absence of fawns among the herd had not deterred the spirit, who had been stricken with an overinflated sense of self during the inexorable trudge of nightfall.

and so he had followed them, and roused them from their rest. at length, the stag whirled to lower antlers toward the pursuer, but lasher had lunged at him with a throated snarl and the animal had lost his nerve and quite nearly his footing. weaving between the hard tree-boles, taltos had seized with long teeth the straining haunch of a young doe with a slight but unfortunate limp, and attempted to use his bulk to trip her.

he succeeded only in halting her steps, and while her fellows thundered on, the epsilon vied terribly with the flailing hooves and wild, rolling eyes of the doe, narrowed in pain and terror upon him. she would not buckle, however, but he was loathe to release her, and so continued to struggle with his would-be victim, heart thrumming as his energies peaked and began to swiftly fall.

<style type="text/css">.lashertop {color:#120801; font-family:georgia; width:498px; background-image:url('http://oi45.tinypic.com/f4mx44.jpg'); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#585f5f; border:1px solid #000000; border-top:none; padding-top:200px; margin:auto; border-bottom:none;}.lasherbottom {background-image:url('http://oi50.tinypic.com/2m3p5dk.jpg'); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; padding-bottom:200px;}.lashertop p {text-indent:25px; padding:0px 5px;}.lashertop b {color:#0c231b; font-weight:normal; text-shadow:0px 0px 5px #87b5a5;}</style>
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante was wandering the lands after nightfall, as he was oft found doing nowadays. Perfectly content to remain within the boundaries of the plateau, hunting as patrolling kept him well busy and had brought a true sense of peace to him. This place had become a home to him and he saw himself living out the rest of his days on this plateau, adopted into Peregrine's pack family.

The cries of the wounded doe were what alerted Dante to Lasher's presence. The Gamma paused, pinpointing the noise, then took off in it's direction. Taking in the situation at a glance, he saw the unfortunate position that Lasher was in. The male couldn't let go lest he lose his prey, but could not deliver the killing blow lest he release it's leg. Well, Dante was not so unfortunately tied. Knowing that Lasher couldn't hold the fighting doe for too much longer, Dante went straight for the unfortunate creature's throat, aiming to deliver the killing blow.

hai! Snagging ;) wasn't sure if you wanted him to take the deer down, feel free to power play Dante a bit if that was your intention!
aiming for Warrior, Guardian, and Advisor specializations
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
that was my intention! thanks for joining :)

his breathing laboured, taltos yanked savagely at the doe's haunch, but felt his grasp sliding, fangs cutting runnels in her flesh. chiding himself coldly for having entered such a conundrum, his murkwater eyes rolled as he heard the swift steps of a wolf approaching. the doe's cries were summarily cut off as dante's scent filled the delta's head, and he released her body to the earth, running salmon tongue along the more pained parts of his jawline.

you are a savior! lasher exulted, eyes bright with excitement and the still-near tread of adrenaline. lowering his muzzle, he scented the doe and the hot meat beneath her flesh, giving silent thanks to whatever deities were near for the kill.

Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Murr, catching up!!! o.o

Feeling the doe's neck between his teeth, Dante clamped down, killing the deer swiftly and without much pain as he snapped the vertebra. Warm blood rushed into his mouth and he released, letting the doe fall to the ground and licking the stains from his maw. Satisfied, he laughed at Lasher's statement. "You had her pinned, the task was pretty much done! But glad I could help! Hunting alone can be a real pain in those situations." Dante never recalled being stuck in the way Lasher was specifically but there was many a time in his past that he had lost prey that would have been caught had he just another body to assist with the task.

"A fine catch, too." He eyed the doe appreciatively. It would feed quite a few and still provide much for the caches. She was young, but hardy, a fact that was further exemplified by her valiant struggle against Lasher. Still giddy with the thrill of the hunt, he bounced a bit, excess energy racing through his veins. It would take a few moments to wear off, but he reveled in it. The same seemed to be true of his companion, a similar exhilaration plainly visible in handsome blue eyes. "It didn't get you, did it?" The Delta's position had hardly been a favorable one for avoiding hooves and he had been stuck in one place within the herd. It didn't appear so, but he wanted to be sure.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
sorry for the wait!

no, lasher answered, rather enjoying the way that the surplus of energy poured from dante, lighting his eyes so that the joyous spirit of the beast shone through plainly. on a whim, he wondered what dante would think of an outright suggestion to join himself in the shadows of the forest. the other had seemed accepting of many things, eloquent, amiable — but of course these aspects did not mean that the silver male would accept such.

i suppose i am intending to seize the last fine hunting before the winter comes and drives the prey upward, into the foothills and mountains. in the flatlands, they will not stay — there will be no shelter for them in the snowy months. at length he gave a dismissive gesture with raised forepaw. of course you know these things, dante, taltos added with a quirk of humour. come; how have you been?

1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Had it been a few days later, after Peregrine's announcement, Dante's answer to Lasher's silent whim would have been an outright no. He would no more touch a mated wolf than his own sibling, the taboo was the same. At least without the sanctions of both Peregrine and Fox. However, as things currently stood, Dante himself would be lying if he denies the thought crossing his own mind, not that he would be the first to vocalize it. He didn't know Lasher intimately but with them, pups were off the table. With a woman it was different, responsibility looming if she were to become pregnant. In same sex couplings, more emphasis was put on pleasure.

But he was no mind reader, so remained blissfully unaware of the chocolate hessian's musings. He nodded as Lasher spoke of the herds moving. This he did know, and he too had spent some time away from the borders in order to stock the caches a bit. Their pack had grown so much, it was necessary that they have enough for all in the harsh time to come.

"I have been well! Splitting my time between patrols and hunting. Things have been quiet, not that I'm complaining about that." He gave a good-natured chuckle. "And you, Lasher? How has life been treating you?"
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony

while peregrine was very satisfactory to lasher indeed, the gentle nature that emanated from dante intrigued the servant, and he had long wondered if the man might be persuaded toward more exotic realms. and yet it was a thought with which he only toyed — for now. perhaps in time he would gather the boldness to ask peregrine his opinion of unions outside the triad.

life has been quite well, he answered with a smiling flash of teeth. i am interested in seeing what the springtime will bring — children, perhaps?

1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante returned the flashing smile, the thought lending much happiness. No matter where one went, it was relatively universal; children were a thing to be celebrated. "I do hope so, it is always nice to have more youthful energy around." He hadn't even thought about it... but he supposed that spring really wasn't that far away. Would any pairings occur before then that would result in pups? He didn't even know Peregrine's views on mating within the ranks of the pack. He assumed that it wasn't encouraged since it seemed a rare, nearly-nonexistant occurrence.

First, however, they would need to make it through winter, a season that Dante definitely was not fond of. "If only we could just skip the next few months altogether," he added wistfully. While his size kept him pretty well insulated the male was not fond of the cold one bit. At least this year he would not be spending the harsh months alone.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony

the servant wondered if dante had an eye for any particular woman in the pack, mated or otherwise. he did not seem the sort to lust without the formal confines of a luxurious, lengthy courtship. however, it was quite possible the gentle soul had been undergoing such a thing unbeknownst to the pack. a tender thought indeed.

i do prefer autumn to the winter, taltos mused aloud. it was the beauty, the quiet fall of sunset-hued leaves, the wind that rose to nip one's bones but did not lash them with the frigid fire of the blizzards he remembered all too well. we will fare easily, he decided, tipping a playfully challenging glance at his handsome peer.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante didn't think winter so light a thing, but his aversion to cold trumped that of many. He could force himself to withstand it, but didn't have to enjoy it. Thus, he wouldn't quite agree when Lasher said they would fare easily. Perhaps it would not be too bad, though. "I have not wintered in these parts before. Do you know what it is like?" He wasn't sure how far Lasher had traveled to get to the Plateau, for the man had arrived just after Dante. In fact, Dante knew next to nothing about Lasher's life before joining the pack. He would not ask, for it was not in his nature to bring up something that could lead to an uncomfortable withdrawal.

For some, the past was better left behind to gather dust.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony

he shook his head ruefully. i do not recall. the memory of yesteryear has faded in my mind. i was with another pack and we faded into the mountains for the winter. it cannot be worse than the winters of my youth, however, far from here. while dante was tactful, lasher was curious. are you accustomed to the cold, dante? he wondered at the precipitation with which the other was familiar; he himself recalled the deep snows in the glen.

1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante knew that feeling well. Some moments he remembered like yesterday while others were more lost to him every day. "I hope you are right my friend." He shook his head. "I am not. While it is said my ancestors came from lands with winters much harsher, I actually come to these lands from more southern parts. I've passed some cold nights, it is true, but probably nothing like I am in for. I am not overly fond of winter." That was the understatement of the year.

It took him a year's travels to get here, so his previous home was far removed from him now. Even if he did not at all miss his former family, the land he at times did. Some would have called the weather unbearably hot, but he liked it fine. Thick pelt and all.

"Guess I'll actually have to find a den when that time comes," he chuckled, his current attitude more of a loner's 'sleep where you drop' outlook. Yet more carryover from a life long lived on the move. Perhaps he'd start digging himself out one in the coming days.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony

nor am i, lasher revealed. i prefer the autumn to any other season. spent upon tartok, the time of biting winds and changing leaves had been harsh, but none so much as the winter there, with snow piled into every crevasse, impeding movement as well as hunting. you have not found a den yet? he inquired politely, though he did not attempt to hide his surprise.

dante had resided at the plateau almost as long as himself — lasher had found a den quickly, though the weather would decide if he would move to a more sheltered location for the winter. dante had done no such thing, apparently intending to weather the seasons in the open, and taltos thought quite amusedly to himself that the man's coat and appearance had not suffered the arrows of torrential rain and scalding heat.

1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"I have not," Dante responded, a slight laugh behind the words. He hadn't really thought of that being odd before now, but he supposed it was a bit. He just didn't normally settle in like that. "Guess that makes me a bit of a heathen. Give me a nice tree any day, I'll sleep just as well!" Honestly he wondered if his sleep would in fact be bothered by being cooped up within walls. He hadn't slept that way since he was a very small pup.

He did tend to find shelter when the rains came, though. There was usually something to hunker beneath, especially around the Plateau. He had his locations and tended to go to whichever was nearest at the time... a stone outcropping, a paticularly thick stand of trees, a large overturned log. They kept him relatively dry though on some occasions a den would be a nice commodity. "Necessity will call for something more insulated, though, I am sure. I'd rather not wake covered in frost." It had happened on more than one occasion last winter and wasn't fun.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony

the man grinned. there is nothing wrong with being a heathen, taltos joked; indeed, he thought of himself as such. there were things of paganism dante could not know, though lasher would be happy to teach him, and it reminded the murk-eyed male that there were several aspects of the gentleman with which he was not acquainted.

if you would like help, i am almost always available, he said softly. taltos enjoyed the time spent in dante's company, for the other had a kind soul, sensed easily through his words, tangible in its outreach. after a moment's pause, the earthen servant spoke curiously, lightly: are you a believer in the gods, dante?

1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"No, I suppose there is not," came the amused response. Dante might be a heathen, but at least he was not a brute. The two could often be confused but the distinction was rather important. At Lasher's offer of help, the silver male nodded. "I would like that a lot. Hate to say I could use it, I've never been the best at picking out dens." Truth be told, he didn't know the first thing about it. He'd never done it.

The next question took Dante completely by surprise, though not unpleasantly so. He had not seen it coming but was glad to answer. "I do. I pay homage to the gods of my ancestors, Jupiter and his kin. My patron is Apollo, however, and it is his name I use when I seek guidance." It might seem strange to some, one of his stoicism claiming the sun god patron, but the choice was an internal one and he had his reasons. "And you, Lasher? Do you have gods of your own?"
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
gonna fade this here.. <3

lasher found he was surprised that dante subscribed to the gods, but he was less so by the silver-eyed man's choice. having been raised in donnelaith, among those fickle small savages who lifted their voices in cries to the moon, he had come by an expanse of knowledge.

therefore, he knew of whom dante spoke, and gave an approving nod to his comrade. "they are fitting choices," he mused aloud, gaze falling at length to the carcass of the deer they had killed.

deciding he would like to spend the remainder of the hour in discussion with dante, lasher suggested that they cache the animal, and perhaps search for a den. when his companion had presumably agreed, they set off, hauling the kill behind themselves in the warmth of the day.