Blacktail Deer Plateau done more in days than done in months
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
All Welcome 
the huntress was on the prowl for her man. since their conversation the day prior, ying was finding it impossible to stop thinking about him. @Aningan was the only thing on her mind, no matter the pastime she tried to occupy herself with.

so instead of distracting herself, she decided to seek him out. seeing him in person would help her feel better, right?
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
A print in the snow, pressed so deep with such weight behind it that it became muddied, reaching the earth below. For a long while, he stared at it, worried that by blinking or looking away it would disappear just as it seemed to do time and time again. Only today the wind did not blow, a dusting of powder yet to be swept over it—and today it was joined by several just like it, creating a line that he eventually found himself following.

Following until it vanished, that is—gone into thin air, a sudden end to grooves in the snow.

Frustrated and eager to find the trail once more, Aningan continued forward, following the direction he was sure the prints had to continue in. What he found, however, was another wolf—Ying, to be more precise, who he nearly stumbled into, too distracted by the task at hand to have noticed her. Thankfully, he caught on at the last second, giving himself just enough time to stop before colliding with her. “Sorry!” was the first word to leave his mouth, followed by several steps backward. “I almost didn’t see you.” He shot her a sheepish smile, embarrassment momentarily smothering his former task.
Characters are more than welcome to mistake Aningan for a polar bear.
A snowy owl can also be noted hanging around with Aningan, usually in the trees or sky, unless stated otherwise in my posts.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
我只是在找你!

ying leapt around to greet aningan with a smile. i am looking for you, she laughed, and here you are now! how had he come to find her here? she figured that it didn't matter much because regardless of the fact, they were together.

the huntress sat back on her haunches and took a few (discreet) deep breaths. what you want? on her face was a look of mock disapproval, but ying hoped that aningan would be able to call her bluff by the excited beat of her tail.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
The first of words to leave her mouth were in her own tongue—he didn’t understand her but smiled anyway. “You were looking for me?” he asked after she switched to the common tongue, surprise written all over his face. He wondered what for but, before he could ask, remembered their agreement to teach one another. Recalling that bit of information, he was pretty sure her looking for him meant that she was ready for another lesson.

Aningan was prepared to ask what she wanted to learn today when she sat back, only for her remark to catch him off-guard. At first, he thought she was serious—and then he noticed the thumping of her tail. His own tail started to slowly sway back and forth as he answered with, “I don’t know.” He cocked his head to the side, watching her, as he returned the question: “What do you want?”
A snowy owl can also be noted hanging around with Aningan, usually in the trees or sky, unless stated otherwise in my posts.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
the huntress nodded her head. she went to speak, but aningan got to it first, leaving her momentarily speechless. well..., ying began, her eyes slowly trailing away from the alpha, i like to spend time with you. i think you are funny. would he understand?

she didn't want to leave the conversation there, so she quickly added, we can do a hunt, or a patrol — what did aningan do in his free time? — or whatever. i'm just bored. ying didn't really care what they did, as long as it didn't involve seperating.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Aningan found her response to be surprising. She liked spending time with him? So, that meant they were friends, right? Surprise became wonder became enthusiasm—he made a friend all on his own, without the help of any else! “I like spending time with you, too!” he said back, tail a-waggin’. “You’re really nice.” Nice and didn’t get upset with him; she was amazing.

At the mention of potential ways to spend time—he was a bit sad that language lessons weren’t an option today but quickly looked past that—he turned thoughtful; a patrol could be nice but hunting could be better. Oh! Maybe… “Do you know how to fish?” he asked. “We can do that if you want. Or hunt! But I’m not sure what…” He tried to find where the prints led countless times before, only to come up empty-handed each time. He considered the possibility of two sets of eyes being better than one but, at the same time, he didn’t want to risk disappointing her. That would make him a bad friend, wouldn’t it?
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
the huntress opened her mouth to speak in potential protest, but closed it just as quickly. she did know how to fish and wasn't bad at doing it, but.. it wasn't her favorite pastime. still, aningan seemed excited about it, which meant that she was willing to try.

standing up to walk toward the pond, she said to her friend, the water is cold, and.. i don't know if fish can swim? but we will try. what she was trying to say was: hey, the water might be frozen? how are we supposed to hunt with the ice?

yeah, didn't really come out that way.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
As she stood, Aningan waited until she was closer and then began walking, excited; he was gradually getting better at fishing and was eager to show her what he could do. When she spoke, however, he paused and nodded, agreeing. “It is cold,” he said. “But it’s okay. You don’t even notice after awhile!” He, of course, spoke from experience—experience which was soon revealed to her as he steered them towards and already-made hole in the ice.

Yeah, this wasn’t his first time here—he spent quite some time practising (read: missing the fish, getting frustrated, and then shoving his face into the water all over again until he could no longer feel his nose).

“Have you fished before?” he asked, stopping next to the icy opening. If not, he was more than willing to show her the ropes; this he made obvious by the way he stood, eager and grinning.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
flirtation was never something that ying shied away from, but she did take offense to aningan's way of going about it. to her, his words of wisdom seemed condescending, as though intended to belittle her skills as a hunter. making sure to face forward, so as to not reveal her frown, she gave him a strained laugh akin to a hyena's howl.

of course, i fish, the huntress told him, then stalking around the fishing hole, i come from the shore, remember? it was one of the first things they'd told him; had he even been listening? she huffed out her frustration and settled beside near the water's edge.

ying looked up at aningan, a bulb seeming to light in her head. wanna play a game? she asked. it would be the perfect opportunity to prove him wrong and show that, yes! she did know how to fish.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Aningan’s ears perked as she explained that yes, she could fish. But when she mentioned the shore, his eyes widened with interest and surprise. “You fished from the sea?” he asked. “How did you do it? Didn’t the sea burn your eyes?” The Inuk tried once or twice to pluck a fish from the ocean, and all it ever resulted in was a face full of saltwater and no fish to make the sting worth it. He was amazed by her apparent ability to grab fish right out of the ocean—actually, that was a huge understatement: he was beyond impressed and wanted to see her in action, to learn how he could better his method of fishing.

When she mentioned a game, his attention was instantly grabbed. He settled along the water’s edge beside her, tail wagging the entire time. “Sure, I want to play a game,” he said, eager to start. “What are we playing?” He couldn’t remember the last time he played a game.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
aningan's cluelessness did nothing but insult the butt-hurt ying. she rolled her eyes and ignored his questions, instead choosing to steer the conversation back toward their game. who can catch more fish first? she announced, delivering an assertive stomp to the icy surface.

i make a spot over here, she told him, walking a few steps away to paw at a small crack, and we see, who gets to five? on the beach, she'd won with little issue; why would this be any different?
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
click me for the roly-poly thread

The game presented sounded more like a challenge than anything else but, even still, he was just as eager to play along. Nodding, he said, “Okay!” and stood up to stand over his previously-made hole. “We’re going to have a lot of fish.” Maybe, with an excess amount of fish, they could even add to the caches.

Aningan waited until after she made a hole for herself, then softly said, “Good luck, Ying.” After which, he focused on the task at hand, staring down into the water below. When he saw a fish drifting by leisurely, the boy crouched down and his head lurched forward, muzzle diving beneath the water’s surface—

—and resurfaced with a silver fish clasped tightly betwixt closed jaws.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
aningan might have been joking in good spirit, but ying didn't interpret it that way. if anyone asked, she would have blamed it on the language barrier, arguing that it was too difficult to tell the difference between good sportsmanship and blatant trash-talk. she took his words — we're going to have a lot of fish — as meaning that he, alpha of rusalka, would bring up so many fish that she would be left speechless.

oh! and, good luck ying. what did he mean by that? she was almost grateful for the plunge into the icy blues, because it meant a momentary repreive from the ire that boiled in her blood. 

he went in first. while resurfacing from his dive, ying waited for her first target to appear. she didn't get a chance to scope out his catch; as soon as she was able, the huntress was lunging for a little silver. significantly smaller than nanuk's, but it would suffice.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Shaking his head to rid himself of any excess water after his last catch, the Inuk stole a look in his friend’s direction. He noticed the fish that she caught and then deposited onto dry land, resulting in the start of his tail wagging; he was happy for her, genuinely, and knew without a doubt now that their combined efforts would provide them with a feast. Grinning at the thought, he turned his attention back to the water and dunked his head in again, resurfacing moments later with yet another fish.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
aningan and ying dipped down into the water with synchronized jaws. he was the first to resurface, a shiny catch between his jaws. she came soon after and again, with a fish significantly smaller than her opponent. she huffed and stomped one of her hindlegs as an assertive mustang might do before lunging forth once more in hopes of finding something more substantial.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Another fish caught and deposited onto the banks, just the same as Ying. Tail swishing lazily back-and-forth, he poised himself over the water and stared in. Silver bodies darted in every direction, becoming more and more aware of the predators lurking over them—but they quickly forgot, because they’re just fish and only have one thing on the mind: mass destruction.

Anyway, Aningan dipped his muzzle down into the water once more, eyes locked onto a rather still fish—only to pull it out and realise that it was actually a rock, not a fish. Oh well, he still added it to his pile to keep the fish company.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
the alpha's luck appeared to be running out. ying remained underwater for a moment longer than she had before, hoping that it would allow her to catch a larger fish. when she did rise, a slightly more impressive fish stuck between her jaws, she looked at ani's pile and saw the wet rock. she stifled a laugh as she shook with a newfound motivation, plunging down under once more.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Another head dunk and the results? Nothing. At least last time he snagged a nice looking rock but, this time around, the fish (and rocks) evaded his jaws. Shaking his head to rid himself of however much water he could, he settled back to give the fish some time to forget that he was there. In the meantime, he spied Ying’s pile growing—another fish added, sporting an impressive mass.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
the competition was reaching its end. aningan had two fish and two...rocks? the catch between ying's jaws would have essentially secured her position as winner, but she was hesitant. would he be hurt by the potential loss? she had an unfair advantage, being a coastal wolf; maybe he deserved a little booster. and besides, one fish couldn't hurt too much. 

she waited for him to dip down into the water before doing the same, releasing the fish back into the water.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Aningan remained back from the water’s edge, watching the fish from a point where they could not see him—which seemed to work. Gradually, more and more fish started to fill the empty space, swimming to their little hearts’ content. Creeping closer, the male shoved his head in as quickly as he could and his efforts were fruitful—another fish added to his pile! Focused on the water now more than ever, he did not notice his fellow fisher look his way.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
the huntress worked to maintain her composure. she was beginning to feel overwhelmed, afraid and ashamed of her own failure; when aningan presented another fish, the shared joy lasted only a moment. ying blinked to try and clear her eyes of tears, but found that it did not work. she dove into the water once more, snapping blindly beneath the surface and coming up empty-handed (mouthed? pawed?).
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Overly-eager, Aningan dove in once more, only this time he was hardly prepared. Accidentally drawing in a breath at the same time his muzzle reached the water, he quickly resurfaced—without a fish but with a nose full of water, instead. Coughing and spluttering (as well as sneezing a few times), he worked to clear his airway before once again perching on the water’s edge, waiting to strike.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
the competition was no longer fun. ying was having a crisis, aningan couldn't breathe — it was time to call it quits. she heard his distress and turned to face him, concern clear on her expression. you okay? she asked, taking a step closer. 

she stopped before getting too close and bit nervously at the inside of her cheek. she had an idea, but wasn't sure that he would like it...

ying grabbed the fish from her collection and dropped them with aningan's. she counted them — ...two, three, four... — before saying, we have six now. we both win. she didn't mind having to share the victory. 

well, no- okay, ying did mind. she hated that she hadn't been able to prove herself but thought that it didn't matter because they'd accomplished exactly what they'd set out to do! time, spent with one another, just dudes being dudes.
303 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Although staring into the water, he couldn’t ignore the burning sensation in the back of his throat and in his nose; he should have been more careful, he knew, but it was too late now. Stepping back, he shook his head in an attempt to force even more water from his nose, only to stop seconds later at the sound of her voice.

You okay?

Aningan paused, clearly embarrassed. “I think so,” he told her, partially a lie. Honestly, he wanted to go back in time, like, five minutes ago and stop himself from sucking in a bunch of water. But he would get over it—he had to since time travel is impossible. Ignoring his own distress, he watched to see what she was doing as their fish were joined together, head cocked to the side.

And then she explained.

Smiling, he agreed: “Yeah, we both win.” Moving away from the water, he joined her next to the pile. “Yours look like they taste better, though,” he said, then nosed the fish closer to her. “You have first pick of which one you want to eat.” And while she picked, he used his paw to move his rock friend away from the pile and off to the side, freeing it back into the wild.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
aningan must have been blind to think that ying had the better stockpile. she gave a small giggle, lifting a paw to scratch at her nose and discreetly brush away a tear. he was being nice and she appreciated it, but a part of her still feared that it was pity disguised as camaraderie. well, whatever. she would seek out one of her sisters later to ask their opinion on the situation. 

the huntress picked the biggest catch from ani's pile and snatched it away with a playful growl. a game of chase might have been fun, but she would let him decide if he wanted to engage.