Totoka River when you look at me
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Private 
for @Ying

After their hunt (which summer will be vague about since we have no idea how that'll go), Huā felt that she ought to not only face her reality, but adapt to it the best she could. Seeing Yingyue directing the people of Yuèlóng and Amarantine Keep alike had made her so proud of her sister, despite that lingering distrust. The distrust could not be ignored, though. There were ways to solve these sort of issues, issues of people who could not obey. Yingyue had gone behind her back time and time again, made her own little club and conspired with people she feared. And yet she could not afford to lose her. Her sister was everything to her- just as Ying had once seen herself as a protector of the twins, Huā saw Ying as a rock, a boulder she could lean on in times of trouble who was always so willing to bear their weight. But was she still motivated by their best interest? She would have to find out for herself. 

Huā released a howl into the nighttime air, a summons for nuvujak.
nothing in life is to be feared,
it is only to be understood.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
She responded — one second! — and departed from the shores. Immediately, Ying asked, You're pregnant? and settled into a seat to await her sister's response. 

Half-smile on her face, she continued: I knew it. Concerns could be dealt with at a later date; Ying didn't want to taint this moment with her worries. She shifted and inched toward Hua, brushing her cheek gently against the Empress's own.
[ hover for translations ]
sequoia coast · open for threads (3/5)
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Ying arrived soon, brightening her stormy mood with a friendly greeting and teasing smile. Huā giggles, 我是。我一点儿着急,可是。。。也是很高兴。 Her own face takes on a playful look, 我希望他们是Mal的。

She straightens up then, composing the flurry of nervous laughter she felt on the rise. 可是,这是为什么我要聊天儿跟你。 A deep breath, 我看到你指挥狩猎。我看到你招募战士。 我发现你的英语水平有所提高。 Huā gazes into Ying's eyes. 你说你不想领导,但你天生就是一个领导者。 我希望你和我一起成为皇后。 怀孕期间我无法完全领导。
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Me, too. He was somewhat tolerable and handsome enough; while their personal relationship had been rocky, she did hope for and look forward to his joining of their family. 

Ying continued to listen, but found herself somewhat confused. What if I'm pregnant? she asked. Fengmian's contribution still hadn't been acknowledged, but she assumed that Hua knew something had happened.

She inhaled deeply and thought for a moment. I'll do this for you, Ying replied, but...I don't want to do this long-term. They could reassess once Hua's children were weaned, since Ying figured that her sister would be first to give birth. Still, don't rush. I'll help you.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
speaking chinese ofc :P

If you're pregnant, she chuckles, and pauses, Maybe we will need another leader. But maybe you are not pregnant- either way, you are super-woman. I think you'll do fantastic no matter what. She gives her sister a loving little lap on the cheek. A cheeky grin then, Which man took you? And in her heart she prayed it was the more handsome midnight Arcturus- whom she had not met, but the other, Revui, she had- and he was a strange and feral thing. 

In the moment Ying considered it, Huā held her breath- I'll do this for you. Exhale. Huā can't help but smile. Ying... Ying, thank you so much. I am more grateful than you know. Then she pauses, smile fading for a moment. But if you join me... I need to make sure of something. That we work together- not separately as two pieces, but as one. That we share our ideas with eachother.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
She smiled, thinking of their relationship improving. Leading might not have been ideal, but Ying knew that she couldn't pass on the opportunity. Huā had come asking for help, and it was her keeper's duty to oblige.

Fengmian, she admitted. Thinking about it, Arcturus would have been ideal, but Ying knew better than to think in hindsight. Besides, she knew Fengmian better and had come to trust that he would mind his duties.

Their communication had taken a turn since the founding of Yuèlóng. Ying knew this and placed most of the blame on her own shoulders. She sighed and nodded her head, agreeing with Huā's words. I agree, Ying replied, We need to be more open. No more secrets.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
The name Fengmian came as a surprise- the good thing, at least, was that he would be around to help with the raising. Huā wondered whether he would marry her sister- and that girlish part of her hoped he would, so that they could have a real ceremony on the island, and at least one family with a stable foundation. 

Ying agreed, which brought her great relief. No more secrets. She thought momentarily of Dacio- should she mention him? But she shoos the thought away, she kept him a secret for his safety, not her own. Who knew what could happen if Hydra found out what he'd done? Even if their coupling didn't take, she had seen the strictness with which the panther ruled. 

No more secrets. She echoes, feeling just a tad guilty. So, when we get home, we can tell the people. Tomorrow morning, perhaps- is that okay with you?
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
She smiled and nodded her head. Tomorrow morning, Ying agreed. There's something that I should tell you, then. Her mind immediately roamed to the Wilderness and the information which had been shared. Surely, Huā would come to know about the conflict.

There have been attacks near Moonspear and Neverwinter Forest. Hydra, Mal, and I have all been talking; she wants to attack, but Mal is still gathering information. She continued to explain what she knew about the attackers — names, appearances, scents — before allowing Huā to process the information.

Referencing her recent meeting with the Forester, Ying added: Mal wants someone to stay with them for a while and help train their wolves, so I thought Aiolos would be a good fit. Otherwise, I was thinking about sending Orochi to gather intel.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
She nods as Ying explains the descriptions- already she had heard Hydra's words, the way the queen had described them, and so she knew bits and pieces of information. Ying's description brought it all together- and put into perspective the terror they evoked on innocents everywhere. 

At Ying's plans, she nods. I think that sounds good. I placed Aiolos as head scout, but he is clearly a respectable mercenary as well. And, unlike Orochi, I think he can be a good teacher. He is calm and intelligent. She pauses for a moment, thinking of Orochi- his temper, the fire that burned within him. Do you think Orochi will be okay? He is very... hot-headed. I fear he will get himself hurt.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
They'd had their disagreements, but Ying had to acknowledge Aiolos's potential. He was a good man, one with talents that earned him credit. Orochi, though...

Orochi likes power, Ying said. She had recognized this in the way he argued and fought, the necessity he put on reaching his ideal outcome. If he feels important, he'll keep to the script.

She would advise him to use a different name for both self and pack, and to use discretion when investigating. Otherwise, he had free reign. We need more members, too. Has Aiolos been scouting? Ying wouldn't have known, as she'd been busy guarding the Glen.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Ying said Orochi would do what he had to as long as he felt he had power. Huā could only hope her analysis would prove true- she would see in time. Who knows- perhaps he would overcome her expectations, prove himself as worthier than she realized. 

As for Aiolos, He has been scouting- oftentimes I find his scent across the shores. But we do not have any new members, so I think he has yet to be successful in recruiting. I did recruit a man the other day- a nervous man called Ruvik. His former leader was killed by a beast, and he swam all the way to the island. She thought for a moment, paused, and shrugged. He does not seem the fearsome type, but perhaps he could be trained.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Mercenaries only need dedication. Anyone willing to learn would be directed to Orochi; informing the uninformed came with the title. We can teach him, but only if he asks. Otherwise, Ying wouldn't press the issue.

She thought silently for a moment, then asked: What do you want Yuèlóng to look like? Physical tasks weren't her sister's specialty, but because of Ying's recruitment efforts, their ranks had been overcome by the sort. How did Huā feel about this shift?
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Huā liked that- teach him, if he asks. No one would be forced to be something they didn't want to- only if they had a passion for it would they need to be involved. She figured Ruvik wouldn't be asking anytime soon- but hey, you can't judge a book by its cover. People could always surprise her. 

When Ying asks what Yuèlóng she look like, Huā was silent for a minute as she thought. Yuèlóng... I want it to be a home for the hurt. For those who are suffering, we can show them a paradise. I want us to be safe, and peaceful... but um, aggressive when necessary, like with Merrick and the woman- harsh on those who harm without reason. And I want us to find balance between the physical and mental. Strive to have strong warriors and hunters, but strive to have just as many priests, and naturalists, and philosophers. Each person enriches the pack in some unique way, and we create a harmonious and civilized way of life. After her little speech, she would gaze at Ying, awaiting her thoughts on what she'd proposed.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
There were some things which the sisters disagreed about. For example, Ying didn't like the idea of welcoming unfit or unhealthy wolves. She thought of each one as a liability, and while they were still settling, Yuèlóng couldn't afford to take any chances. Also, she didn't value spiritualists and naturalists on the same level as mercenaries or hunters, but thought of this as personal preference.

Her sister's vision was one that she seeked to preserve. Ying's place as ruler was temporary; suggesting large changes which she wouldn't be around to carry out didn't make much sense. Instead, she asked, What can I do to help? She planned to remain close to the island through spring, allowing her to help where needed.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Huā was happy with her sister's willingness to help, unaware of the thoughts that laid below the surface. The way you help right now is already good. But, when you recruit to junshi, don't just recruit to junshi. If they are are a loner, they should come to Yuèlóng too- I don't know how many people are in your army, but any that are not in a pack, we should try to get them. 

She was thoughtful for a moment, and then tacked on, It would also be helpful- if I have any sons, perhaps you can teach them to defend themselves. Once they are old enough. Huā didn't mean to imply that her daughters should never learn- she just didn't imagine girls in the physical trades. Even with Ying beside her, it was just the mindset she'd been raised in- she was scarcely aware of how her words might come off as sexist.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
There's five members, she explained, Myself, Fengmian, Lei Lei, Aiolos, and Orochi. Her attempt to recruit Astaroth had been unsuccessful, but she was still looking for other members. Ultimately, Ying hoped for their force triple in numbers, however long the mission took.

She laughed at Huā's suggestion, remembering the conversation with Erzulie. All of my children will be fighters, Ying assured her sister, and yours are welcome to join. Unlike their mother, Gūmā Ying would make an effort to keep the traditions of home from corrupting the next generation, as it had with theirs.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
Oh, She breathes, her face the expression of mild surprise. I don't know why I imagined there were a lot more- or, people I didn't know. She laughs with a shake of her head. Um, what about, the blue-eyed man? The beastly boy who wanted you that day, She suggests in reference to Revui, When I met him, he did not have a pack scent. What if we try to recruit him? 

When Ying spoke of her children, Huā laughed again. Oh, I bet. But you better make sure they do not grow up like Tuvak or Nieve or Reyes, She joked. Though she would not say so out loud, she was still fairly set on keeping her daughters prim and perfect- and away from the blood and dust of battle.
857 Posts
Ooc — nami
Remembering those events brought about great discomfort. Ying had settled her emotions with Astaroth and didn't want to talk about them again, but thought that  the facts needed to be assessed.

She straightened her posture and cleared her throat. He does not belong here. Ying didn't feel pressured to add any details, and so she didn't, partially because some of them were still unknown. 

Thinking of the Rusalkan children made Ying laugh. They were so poorly-mannered, so rude in their demeanor. The children of this island would not be so poorly reared. 

I'm going to rest, she said. Ying stretched out her limbs and yawned, unintentionally emphasizing her exhaustion. I'll see you at home, tomorrow morning.
1,006 Posts
Ooc — summer
Ecologist
Master Ambassador
He does not belong here. Protectiveness washed over her- what had he done to her sister after she'd left? Worry clutched her heart, but she could tell Ying did not wish to share more. Still, she would mark him down as someone that could not be trusted. If Ying didn't like him, she would vow to hold him at the same distance. 

When Ying says she's tired, Huā quietly agrees. 我也是。今天我们做很多, She comments in reference to the hunt (even if Huā herself didn't participate.) With Ying's farewell, Huā nods wordlessly to the new empress. The mermaid would remain at the river for a while longer to gaze at the tapestry of stars and ponder, before eventually returning to the island.