Lost Creek Hollow In the dead of Night
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
All Welcome 
The medical woman was hungry and decided to try her hand at small game rather than scavenging for the umpteenth time. Most of the time she failed and went on her way to scavenge or try to make friends with someone who was blessed with successful hunting.

She strode through the trees, a cool air kissing her skin through her fur. The creek bubbled softly.
Was she hunting or not? She tried to soften her footsteps, looking for prey.
A bird bobbed across her path, pecking at the ground minding its own business.
She stopped immediately, watching it.

Then did the biggest fail of a pounce anyone could've witnessed, ending with her nose diving into the ground only mere inches from where she was.
Of course, the bird that was a few meters away flapped off, calling out its warning.
Never to be seen again.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Taikon wanted to forget his past, but he seemed unable to escape it. He had come across many a wolf who seemed happy and content in their family packs, and he had to remind himself that he, too, had once been happy. It was when people had found what was wrong with him that everything went to shit.
He walked through the Hollow, but all he could think of was Cella. Lately, she poisoned his thoughts. The beautiful women he had met on his journey seemed nothing to him. There was something wrong with him for this, he was sure.
A bird flew out from the undergrowth not far from him, and his gaze shifted quickly to meet a girl.
She had a curious red colour to her. Her legs in particular were dipped in a deep cherry that he had never seen before. She was an odd, lovely animal. Hi, said Taikon. The white male had not seen her fumble. Did that bird fly away from you? He smiled broadly. He had no idea she had been in hunting mode.
relatively thin from illness (Apr 13, 2020)
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
She righted herself, sitting up and rubbing the dirt from her face. Ah, she was foolish. Alas, food was all she needed and could go another few days without. In the meantime, berries would keep her stomach from complaining too much.

Sorscha stood, then immediately skittered away from the sound of a voice, making her leap to the side with wide eyes and puffed up fur. She regarded the man suspiciously, her mouth struggling to form a word in her shock, only able to emit an, "U-uh."

Bird. The bird had flown away from her. He smiled, this was fine. Safe.
Her tail tucked and her fur stopped prickling. "Y-yes." She replied quietly. She slowly settled down, making herself smaller. She attempted a quick, sheepish smile. She wasn't expecting company.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
The she-wolf jumped when Taikon spoke, which made him flinch. His ears swivelled sideways as he realized that he had very much startled her. She spoke, but her words were rattled and her voice small. She seemed... fragile. I apologize; I didn't mean to scare you, he said honestly, lowering his head a bit and offering a couple of friendly, small wags of his white tail.
Here, he offered a deep, low bow. It was a royal bow, one that he liked to save for moments like this to make him seem vulnerable and dorky. Pleased to meet you, madame, I am Taikon, he had changed his voice, mocking someone from some made up aristocracy. From his bow, he peered up at her and winked, hoping to relax her.
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
He apologized, which made her smile softly and earned a few reciprocating wags of her tail.
"It's ok," she was quick to reassure him. She didn't want to make him feel bad for an accident. It was her fault anyway, she should take more care to notice her surroundings.

Then, he went into a bow. She would've mistaken it for an invitation to play had he not lowered his head so. She rose up halfway, ready to either stand to full height, lurch away, or cower again. She giggled softly at his tone, moving to stand fully again. She went into a slow, half-hearted play bow, wondering if she could entice him into some fun to soften her heart and mood.

"I'm Sorscha, Queen of all the lands anyone has ever known" she answered I the same fashion, lifting her head up in pride and mockery. Her statement trailed off with a laugh, tail waving happily.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Ah, her Majesty Sorscha, what an honour, he grinned. Lately, Taikon had not been particularly playful. Most of the joy from his youth had seemingly died with it. The chestnut she-wolf seemed to like his flavoured speech and demeanor, but he wasn't sure how long he could keep it up. Being happy was both exhausting and a welcome reprieve from his misery.
As Sorscha laughed, he became infected with it. One thing he had learned in the Teekon Wilds was that it was teeming with pleasant women. Creatures that should have made him able to forget. Actually, in a former life I really was a prince, he said, his accent disappeared and his true, smooth voice surfacing. He said it as though it was a weird fact, grinning weirdly as though he could barely believe it himself. That life seemed far away. It was. 
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Sorry for the wait!

She grinned at him, then her grin turned from gleeful to a little shyer. Seeming to withdraw herself again. This man was pretty handsome, but she was easily intimidated by the kindest of souls it seemed.

But his statement was puzzling to say the least. A prince is a prince and always a prince even if they don't have a claim. It's in how they're raised, their blood.
"Fascinating," she quietly mused. She'd never met an actual prince before. She didn't know how to act around him.

"What happened? Are you not a prince?" She was deceived by his grin to how he truly felt about his situation, so had no idea as to what can of worms she was opening.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
No worries :D

Sorscha appeared enthralled, and Taikon relished the spotlight she offered him. He beamed at her fascination, raising his head and smiling, still oddly.
The russet she-wolf then asked him what had happened for him to lose his princehood. This was something he had to think about, and he looked down and away, a bit puzzled at the idea. Well, he started, though he was still thinking. The reality was that he no longer had a right to the Farukan throne. However, he was still technically the son of a King and Queen, and thus, should still be properly called a prince. You know, I never actually thought about it before but I think I still am one. The realization was profound, and Taikon blinked a bunch, feeling silly and strange at this new information.
I no longer have a right to the throne in my birth pack, but now that I think about it, I don't think that makes me not a prince. Heh, he explained briefly, watching her, smiling. Taikon had spoken it as though he were talking about the breeding habits of shellfish; the tone of his voice was flat and dull.
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
It made sense. Yeah, he couldn't have a throne, but his blood was the product of royalty.
Perhaps he'd make his own throne in this land.
She smiled back, thinking. She hadn't got much to say. She wasn't very good at conversations.

He didn't seem very enthralled about it though. So perhaps she shouldn't bring it up again.
She laid down, licking her lips. Hungry.
"What are you doing now?" she asked. Was he hunting, or looking for a pack. She had no idea, but hoped it involved food.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Sorscha didn't respond beyond a smile, so Taikon abandoned his self-made podium and talk of royal blood. He noticed her tongue wet her lips, and grinned slyly. Nothing really, but I'm starting to get hungry, he said. Really, he was usually hungry. One of the unfortunate facts of lone wolf life was that kills were even more infrequent than co-operative hunts. The meals themselves were smaller and offered a fair variety, but often included things such as carrion. Taikon had eaten many dinners that were merely the spoils of cats and other predators.
We should hunt. It was a simple offer, and he looked at Sorscha, perking his ears up hopefully. Perhaps together, their chances might be improved, even if they had only just met.
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Omg I'm so sorry I forgot about this :sob:

Hungry.Oh yeah, she was hungry too. She dipped her nose, "Ah, if only I caught the bird," she offered another shy smile, almost avoiding his gaze, but forced herself not to. She couldn't be so timid.

But he mentioned hunting, which would be cool. Maybe she'd be better if she could help.
"Yeah sure!" she hopped up, tail swaying with excitement, "I might not be very good though." she wanted to warn him now before they get into a pickle and she fails them.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
It was only with Sorscha's next sentence that Taikon realized she had been trying to hunt the bird that had flown from her. Birds, generally, were more trouble than they were worth with the notable exception of ground-nesting feathered beasts like ducks and geese. Thus, the lone wolf was hardly surprised when she mentioned she might be lacking in skill.
We'll go for something easier I think; birds are difficult prey because we can't run them down, he said. With the Faruka, most hunts had been no more than a matter of tracking and long distance travel. Ungulates in particular were beasts that tired easily. That was a strategy they would have needed greater strength and numbers for, and so Taikon began instead to move past the rust-coloured she-wolf. Let's keep our wits about us and head to the creek, he said, moving at a slow trot toward the smell of water.
He knew that creeks weaved through the area in many places. He also knew that water in forested areas tended to attract larger, but still small, beasts such as muskrat and beaver. He hoped that her pretty eyes might see something as they moved that he could not.
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Her head tilted. She never thought birds looked hard to catch.
In her home, they were often available to eat and many wolves caught them.
Perhaps then she wasn't as bad as she thought, others were just better.

Taikon moved off, and she followed obediently.
Were they looking for something to chase then? Would she be able to keep up?
She was a bit of a walking blunder after all.

She pressed her ears forward, listening for something to hunt, but suspected the prince would find something first.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
The red wolf followed him like a pup. For the first time in a long while, Taikon felt truly confident. He felt even more so because he was with a woman. Had Sorscha been male, things probably would have been a different story. In his old life, the prince loved to show off. With any luck, they might be able to find a prey animal enough to do so.
They ventured forth into the woods. The air was still quite cool; a light breeze was blowing from the west. This, Taikon used to their advantage. As they moved closer to the creek at a steady pace, he made sure to come at such an angle that the breeze blew toward them from the creekside rather than away. Always, he kept on sniffing the air, trying to detect anything other than trees, mud, and water.
When they were close enough to hear the burbling of the waters, he slowed down, and then stopped completely. Listen, the white wolf challenged her, do you hear that? Taikon waited, hoping that she, too, could pinpoint the sound that had stopped him.
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
The man walked, tail high and nose to the air. A real hunter.
She looked to him with wonder. Admiration. He could actually do this, but could she?
No. No she really couldn't, not in any hope in this world.

She was about to stop, call this off, try and let him have a successful hunt by himself, but no. 
He stopped, asked her if she could hear what he heard.
She tipped her ears, trying really hard.
The creek. Bubbling...bubbling. Creek...water.
"Fish?" she replied. Obviously they couldn't hear fish, but they could hear their home.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
They're jumping, Taikon agreed. He smiled broadly at Sorscha, gesturing toward the creek so that the red lady might follow him. As they moved over the roots of trees toward the creek's edge, the sound of plunging splashes grew louder. Taikon spread his toes out to get a better grip as he stepped over and into the muddy bank, searching for a better place to stand.
Taikon looked at the water for a moment, then carefully stepped into it. The creek was not particularly wide and likely measured across at this point no more than five meters. I think they're trout, he said at a loud whisper, but then stopped talking. The fish were toward the opposite bank at the middle, but stopped jumping when they noticed the disturbance in the water caused by the wolf. To be honest, I'm not that great at catching fish, but we can try, he admitted. Having grown up on a mountain whose river water was often freezing cold, he hadn't made it a point to be an expert in water sports.
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
Jumping?
Fish could jump? Oh yeah, they could. She'd seen the phenomonem once, when salmon were jumping up waterfalls. There were bears, so she didn't stick around too long that day.

She assumed trout were some kind of fish. She didn't follow him into the water yet. What if she messed this up for them? She took another step  forward, slipping on a mossy rock that sent her forelegs slipping down nearly into the water. The stones rubbed and grazed her legs, and was quite painful, but she noticed he was trying to stay still and quiet, so kept still in that position, knowing she'd just keep slipping if she got up. She didn't want to distract him more.

"I feel like I may be worse," she quietly mumbled, looking for the fish herself.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Taikon looked over to her, but couldn't quite make out the words she spoke under her breath. Maybe she didn't like water. He shrugged, and slowly moved further into the water until the line was just over his chest. It was difficult to see the glimmer of the fish, and harder to maintain his footing on the slimy rocks and gravel under his feet. Even so, he waited until he felt a fish swim through his forelegs and swiftly, but badly, pushed his snout into the water and wildly tried to grab at it.
He failed. He waited. He failed again. 
At that point, he was soaking wet, and began laughing. Come on! Help me! It was in a jesting, pleasant voice he demanded this, hoping that perhaps with two failures of wolf fishermen, they might actually catch something.
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
He failed, and again. And as her anxiety about messing this up for both of them, she stood up slowly and got into the water with him. She too saw the flicks of silver in the water. Some small ones, some bigger ones.
What should she try?

Perhaps if she stuck her nose in the water...no she had to breathe.
So, she too tried to snap at the fish to no real avail.
Hunting was really quite hard.
And then, somehow, her jaws closed on one unfortunate soul and she yanked her head up, the thing struggling and flapping in her face and it really rather hurt.

She just hoped Taikon would save her.
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
At last, the scarlet creature entered the water with him so he was not left alone splashing about. She seemed pensive, at first, saying nothing to him and looking at the water, gathering strategy. Taikon, on the other hand, thrashed about semi-frequently, flopping his head into the water and struggling to do much of any fish catching on account of his nose being overrun with water every time. He didn't realize that he could simply breath out through his nose to prevent this; that was a learning experience that he just wasn't advanced enough to grasp.
When they did at last catch something, it was Sorscha, not Taikon the hunter, that chanced a win. However, it was quickly apparent that the trout had not died from the bite — the prince had assumed that this would just happen immediately for no reason. It flailed about and smacked the poor woman in the face repeatedly. Taikon sloppily splashed his way toward her, unsure what to do. All he could think was to grip the struggling fish on whatever part he could reach, which happened to be the tail. They stood there very awkwardly as the fish still tried to wiggle with two wolves smashing their teeth down on it. His mouth was mere inches from the new woman's, which gave him a strange and exhilerating thrill.
Finally, the fish calmed and fell silent, wiggling once after a moment and then no more. Taikon let go. Wow, he said. I did not expect that. He meant..well any of it. He didn't expect her to catch anything, and he didn't expect the events that just happened. But you got it!
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
He quickly came over to save her.
He took hold of the tail, stopping one end from smacking he rface as they tugged and chomped, her eyes tightly closed.
And at last it stilled, but she was still scared about opening her eyes.

But when he spoke, she did.
Sorscha moved to the bank and safely planted the fish on the edge, placing her forepaws on it before letting go.
"Whew!" she exclaimed, licking her stained lips.
"That was hard," she grinned, looking to him, tail wagging.
This was unbelieveable! She caught something to eat!
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
As Sorscha moved to the bank and exclaimed her surprise and effort, Taikon laughed. He stayed in the water. Why don't you go ahead and eat that; I'll keep trying. With that, he waded back toward the middle of the stream.
Catching these things was difficult indeed. Whenever he felt one slip by his paws, he tried to snap at it, but he was never quite fast enough. He had seen bears stand at the edge of waterfalls and snap up salmon just by holding their mouths open, and they made it look fantastically easy. Two, three, four fish floundered past him as he splashed about in the creek, shouting curses every time he missed. He looked ridiculous.
He heaved out an annoyed sigh, standing still in the water. He felt the current winding through his legs. His paw pads were touching slimy river rocks. He concentrated.
Before he could think, the prince had shut his teeth down hard on a trout of reasonable size. He pulled it up, and just like Sorscha the thing was flopping about against his face very unpleasantly. He growled and shook it, but that didn't seem to quell its thirst to escape. He moved toward the bank, biting down harder and harder all the way so the animal wouldn't be released. He was very lucky not to drop it.
Finally, he put it between his paws and yelled, Hah!! It flopped out of his paws. Shit, he grabbed at it just in time as it made a flop toward the creek, catching the tail in his teeth once more. He put his paw over it and pulled. These things just didn't want to die. He looked at Sorscha with the flopping fish in his mouth, looking quite foolish.
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
She felt bad. She, the terrible hunter, had managed to catch one of these slippery buggers.
And Takion still flailed, encouraging her to eat her catch.
Surely, he'd catch something too.

Gingerly, she crunched into the head of the fish, making sure that it didn't keep flapping everywhere.
She looked up at him as he sighed an oh so heavy sigh. "You can do it!" she called encouragingly. She had every faith he could.

A moment later and he had one! He brought it up, splashing and flopping like hers. He brought it over to the bank gingerly and chomped on it. She was about to extend her own chomping services when it slippered away! She swung her jaws after it, but Takion was faster and recovered it.

But still, she tried to chomp the head of the fish as it flailed from the end of its tail. She snapped at it a number of times like a dog trying to catch water from a hosepipe, and eventually crunched the skull with a very gruesome sound which made her cringe.
What if a bear did that to her head?!
486 Posts
Ooc — Zina
Crunch.
Juice, or perhaps blood, ran down the body of the slippery animal into his mouth, which made him drool. He pulled playfully at it while Sorscha had its head between her teeth, effectively decapitating it. For virtually any other animal, this would indeed have been a gruesome scene and warranted a strong warning for those outside of the world of wolves. As it was, Taikon had a headless fish all to himself, which he stepped backward with and lay down to enjoy peacefully.
Thanks, he said, pleased that their little hunt had gone smoothly enough. A good chunk of time had passed, but they had been rewarded with fatty, fresh fish. As Taikon ate, he occasionally made choking faces when tiny bones would slide down his throat. In little time, he managed to pry most of the flesh from the trout and have it safely stored in his stomach. All that was left behind was part of a tail and the core of its skeleton.
It wasn't a heavy meal, by any means, but it would satiate the two lone wolves for some time yet at least. So, what's next for you then? Had she a pack nearby, or was she on her own like he was? He wondered what her plan was.
15 Posts
Ooc — Sofie
She was glad she could actually help.
And catch something.
A change in the hunting scene for her.

She gave him a grin, licking juice and blood from her chops.
"I can confirm that one tastes good," she grinned, a soft chuckle welled from her.
Her tail waved and went back to her fish, pulling another bite from it.
She glanced to him making a face like a does puckered anus and tried to stifle a laugh, quickly taking a large bite of the fish.

"I think just wandering," she replied, finishing eating too.
"What about you?" Maybe he had relations here. Perhaps a pack or something.