Boartusk Heights the goodbye is the hardest part
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
Private 
@Lio

The faint howls on the wind sounded like siren songs from afar, he heard them and their uncanniness- slipping through his attention deliberately trying to ignore it. Familiar? No... Not possible. He wouldn't even consider it. That would bring his newfound freedom into question. He wasn't going to have that.

The fire had been a blight to the Kingslend of old, but to him it might as well have been a divine gift from the Great Elk to himself. A selfish thought, undoubtedly, but a man could only take so much neglectful scorn for something as ridiculous as the white on his fur. His family had wept at whatever ancestor's wrongdoings had given him his defect. As a pup he prayed and prayed to overcome the sins he hadn't even committed, yet there was nothing he could ever do to rid himself of it.

When he became a man, his angry gaze that once aimed towards their god instead focused on his kin. He'd thought many times he'd seen the blessings of the Great Elk in places where they claimed it could not be, and he now held firm to his belief that their narrow-mindedness was the ultimate cause of Kingslend's demise.

A cleansing fire... A reset button.

Either way. He was alone now, staring out into the landscape but turned stubbornly away from the echoing song. His skin has been spared from the flames and that was the only blessing he needed to keep his faith close to him regardless of anything or anyone else. If Kingslend's hierarchy did in fact survive, they likely wouldn't care to find him.

The feeling was mutual.
34 Posts
Ooc —
Up, up, up. There had been a time, when they were very small, that their mother had helped them climb what felt like an infinite ascension. Thinking back on it now, it had probably not actually been quite as high as they thought. But it was the feeling that they remembered.

These heights were beautiful, and not unlike the ones that they'd had to climb back home. Perhaps their trek up these peaks was even easier than the mountains beside Carroch Valley, or perhaps they were just bigger now and the alpines didn't seem like such impossible things to climb anymore. 

They took careful steps, hops, and leaps on their journey upward. Lio was not a mountain-dweller, and felt the need to be extra cautious, because they were woefully unused to this type of terrain. But the view from the top would likely be worth it. 

But as they reached the zenith, it became clear that they were not alone in their wanderings. Interesting markings adorned his fur, touched gold by the sun, and Lio paused several meters behind him. 

"May I join you?" they asked, hoping not to startle the stranger.
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
The sound of a voice had his brows raising softly, turning to meet his autumnal eyes with the speaker. What he was greeted with was quite a sight, if he were being completely honest. A woman (gender of which he'd assumed because of their voice) who was a proper curse by Deorwine standards. Covered in the many sins of her fathers, born a scapegoat for whatever unspeakable acts had been caused in the past. But to him, it sparked a different response... The stranger's pelt was akin to a blanket of wispy snow in the sun, with little spots here and there melted away to reveal the forest floor beneath it.

Such a beautiful thing, how could it be cursed?

Whatever... He'd shove his familial vitriol to the back of his mind for now. Where it rightfully belonged.

By all means. Come to take in the view as well? He greeted pleasantly, the corners of his lips upticked.
34 Posts
Ooc —
Orange eyes - an uncommon color where they were from - and a white stripe down his nose. It was the first time Lio had ever seen another with a marking on their face of any kind, and it felt... validating. Like they weren't alone in the world, with their strange face. It wasn't that they were self-conscious, because that was too vain for how they were raised, but there was something nice in knowing that they weren't the only one in the world with a mask of sorts.

The stranger was welcoming enough, and Lio approached the edge with a natural slow caution. They were very high up, after all. 

"Thank you," they responded, a small smile forming on their maw as they looked out over the expanse of territory below. It all looked so small from up there. "Yes - I wanted to know how far I could see. It is very beautiful." Their voice was hushed, rose eyes round as they scanned the horizon. "I'm not used to being atop the mountains. We lived in the valley for so long, and it wasn't very practical to expend so much energy to see the view from the top." But... they didn't have to worry so much for practicality now, did they?
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
It is a beautiful sight. He echoed quietly, eyes following the pale wolf as they came to stand near them. All the while he showed no wariness in accepting the stranger's presence even when it grew closer to him. In fact, he took a comfortable seat and gazed out towards the horizon as well, one ear turned to listen and a pleasant smile on his maw as his firey optics took in the painted forests below. Autumn was finally changing some of them into an array of warm colors- sticking out vibrantly from the evergreens.

Deep ambers drifted back to the spotted wolf as they began to lament, and he nodded slowly. Practicality isn't always a necessity. Not if it stands in the way of a cheap thrill. The sun-lit man murmured with a smirk, before digging into his own memories. The positive ones, the ones that did make his heart pang with sadness for what was lost to the flames.

I once lived in a vast land myself... Beautiful and filled with wonder. Now that it's gone I wish I'd climbed more mountains to take in the view.
34 Posts
Ooc —
Lio could not remember the leaves changing last autumn - only the bare trees and snows of winter, so the colors shifting was quite interesting to them. Beautiful, of course, and they enjoyed the sensation of them crunching beneath their paws, but it was a precursor to snow. Which was far more beautiful, and excellent for camoflauge. Their thick fur would protect them from the cold more efficiently this year, but even as a small child they had a certain immunity to chill. 

"I am... learning that there may be more to life than simply surviving," they agreed, on the topic of doing things practically. But then he used a term that they had never heard before, and a small, confused pout formed on their face as they looked toward the man. "What's a cheap thrill?" They'd never heard of anything like that before.

He spoke of his own homeland, which they did not doubt was beautiful. There was mention of his own regrets about not climbing mountains, but one part caught Lio's attention. "It's gone?" Could places just... go away? Lio had thought that mountains were firm and unchangeable. "Where did it go?"
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
Simple pleasures. He began to clarify, still wearing a subtle smile but his eyes were still aimed outward- focusing on a bird careening over the tree-tops. A little thing that brings you happiness... Like watching the sunset.

Things that weren't necessary for immediate survival, but in his opinion, a life solely based on survival and survival alone was... Boring. Sad. There needed to be something else mixed in, a flavor of spice in the milk every now and again for a little surprise.

He turned back to the stranger, hoping that little pout on their face would be satisfied now. However... The topic of his homeland was inevitably brought up. His expression remained the same, only a flicker of sadness behind his fire-licked gaze would reveal the sorrow that lingered somewhere in him. Somewhere, but it would ultimately be repressed. Maybe someday when he was alone he'd think about it, and weep for it. 

Just not today.

The Deorwine let a long sigh escape his maw. It burned down. The whole thing. He said simply, letting a moment of silence lingered before giving a light-hearted chuckle to break the tension. That's why I'm here I guess.
34 Posts
Ooc —
Simple pleasures. Like stepping on crunchy leaves, or watching the clouds, or climbing up a mountain. Lio understood. "Ah," they responded, pink eyes flicking over to the birds that her new companion was watching. "There was not much of that back home. But I have... been enjoying some of these cheap thrills since I left. It does make me happier, I think." Of course, they missed their family terribly, but they felt freer now. Like they were finally learning what it meant to really be alive, at least sort of.

The pout on their face was satisfied, relaxed into an expression of neutral contentment. Lio was not the best at expressing themselves generally, but they truly did feel at ease now.

It burned down. Their attention flicked back to the man and their brows furrowed just so. Wymond had also had his home burn - were fires really so common? Still, Lio felt bad for this man just as much. "I'm sorry," they responded, voice hushed. Truthfully, they had no idea how they would react if their own home had been destroyed. To know they could never go back. 

"What is your name?" the youth questioned, tipping their head to the side as they studied the man's bright eyes. It seemed an appropriate question to ask.
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
He could empathize with what they said as well, the newfound feeling of freedom making them happier than they'd been previously. Being able to enjoy more of those little moments without as much... Scrutiny. Even if, on his end, it was a huge life change brought on by a great tragedy. Seems like we have something in common then. The umber man hummed. It's sad. But I can't deny... How happy I am to be free too.

And that was where he'd leave it, vague. That was all there was to it, as far as he was concerned. As the strangers eyes studied his own, he held the gaze.

But anyways. My name's Knox. No need to throw in the surnames, how much weight did it even hold out here? If only he knew.

What do you call yourself?
34 Posts
Ooc —
They did have that in common. More than just their facial markings, they also shared a newfound ability to explore the world on their own terms, it seemed. "Free," they repeated softly, humming under their breath. They hadn't thought of it like that before, but this was freedom, wasn't it? Not having to live by the rules of another. Learning how to be themselves. "It is very nice. I've met many interesting wolves already - some kind, others not so. Everyone is so different." 

Lio maintained the eye contact. Perhaps it would have been unsettling to others, but Lio had never minded it. Eyes were so interesting, whether they were bright or dim, light or dark. This man's eyes were like a harvest moon - like the colors the leaves were changing into. It was a color made for autumn.

Knox. Just Knox. The simplicity of it was very appreciated - surnames had no substance for Lio, as their family had never truly put weight on their own. Never required them to carry Carroch with them. 

"It is nice to meet you, Knox," they responded, a small smile quirking the corner of their maw. "I'm Lio."
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
Their eyes reminded him of spring, of petals that fluttered off of trees, or pink flowers that bloomed in the meadow. That much he'd noted as he'd studied them too. Pink eyes wheren't unseen to him, in fact shades of warm reds and oranges were strongly preferred to the Deorwine. Still, they bore a uniqueness that he couldn't quite place... The way their fur fluffed out brought about a similar reaction. 

Lio. Knox repeated it to himself in his mind and politely nodded. Simple enough to be easily memorable. And if not their name, well their face definetly would be.

Nice to meet you then, Lio. I'll be one of the friendlier faces you meet. Promise. The elken-blood humored with a sweet grin, lighting his face like a charming little candle against the dark that covered the rest of him. Most of him.

I just arrived here recently. I have no idea whats beyond this mountain except the path I walked up.
34 Posts
Ooc —
They had no doubt that he was telling the truth. If he weren't one of the friendlier faces, he likely would have pushed them off of the cliff by now. Or leapt on top of them like the black wolf in the forest. They genuinely liked this wolf, though - his appearance, his speech pattern, his expressions, his patience. 

"You've been kind," they assured him, blinking slowly and offering a smile of their own. Lio was not good at expressing themself - it was more in their eyes - but they were being genuine. "Thank you for letting me join you, here." For not pushing them off the cliff, for explaining phrases, for not losing his patience. 

They hummed and finally looked over the land again. "I know there is a river that looks like it's made of silver, just out west. But it's close to a pack that is forming, and I don't think they want strangers there." Lio paused and looked back at their companion. "Other than that, and a forest up to the north, it's all new to me, too. But I want to see everything." The realization of that was a bit surprising, even to themself. They wanted to see as much as possible - go as many places as possible. "As much as I can."
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
Of course. He muttered in low voice. Who was he to deny someone else of this view up here, anyway? He definitely didn't mind the company after traveling alone since the fire'd exiled him. Poor thing, they seemed... Somewhat innocent, if he was reading into them correctly so far. Maybe they'd been sheltered up until now, something about them did seem young.

Amber eyes both silently watched and floated into the distance as Lio explained what they'd encountered so far and where they wanted to go. Their mention of a forming pack did little to stick to his thoughts other than noting that he would be staying away from the "silver river". He wasn't exactly in a place to be inserting himself into risky business. Not yet at least.

He then followed their gaze to the north, narrowing upon the forests that spilled over the distance. What stops you? He asked softly, rhetorically, only allowing a moment of silence before he continued. The same thing that stops me- absolutely, nothing.

A look of ambition then lined his features. I plan to see it all too. Hey... If you ever find yourself wanting a travel buddy...
34 Posts
Ooc —
Lio was finding that they also enjoyed his company. They hadn't been on their own for a particularly long time, but this was the first time they had ever truly been alone, and it was not as easy as they'd thought. This was why the Carroch wolves sent their yearlings out - so that they could learn to survive. But Lio thought perhaps it could be to learn to live too. 

Their family was not cruel in the slightest, but they did not understand any little intricacies of life. They were as cold as the tundra they inhabited. 

"Nothing stops me," they repeated quietly, feeling a sort of tension ebb away, off of their shoulders like water on a duck's feathers. There was so much to think about and learn, and they had so much time to do it. Just like Knox did.

He spoke again, and they flicked their ears toward him, turning his words over and over through their head. A traveling companion? There was strength in numbers, and being alone was not Lio's preferred method of existence. 

So...

"We could see it together," they offered tentatively, scanning his expression to gauge the reaction they would receive. "If you wanted."
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
White-muzzled face smiled warmly, pleasantly surprised they asked.

For a while, until you get tired of me. Knox mused, arching a brow. He could be alone, and he had been for a long time. Even before the fire he was an outcast in his own homeland, so it wouldn't be unusual for him to keep on remaining that way. But where was the fun in staying the same? In this new world, he'd try new things.

Not to mention, it would be more than beneficial to have someone to hunt with. His initial offer had been mostly a playful jest but if this youth really wanted to pair up with him for a bit, he'd do his best to make good use of himself. Teach them some things, and maybe they could teach him something too.

You said you lived in a valley right? Where do you hail from? Somewhere cold, surely. They seemed much too fluffy to be from anywhere far south.
34 Posts
Ooc —
He had a nice smile, Lio thought absently, as the man spoke again. They doubted they would tire of company, but perhaps he would tire of them. Regardless, it was a good idea. Someone to hunt with and sleep nearby so that they would be safer. Until the snow came, Lio would stick out like a sore thumb in this place - a white beacon of light letting all of the other predators know exactly where they were. 

"You are welcome to join me," they told him truthfully, tail giving a few hesitant swishes behind them. "When it snows, I will blend in better, but I have had a difficult time not sticking out like a fluffy dandelion." It was what they had been compared to back home, from time to time. Almost all of the Carroch wolves were white, but none quite as fluffy as Lio. 

Their eyes lit up at the question of their homeland. "Yes, Carroch Valley! It is far north, where it snows much more. My family are tall and beautiful and most of them are white or silver." Their paws tapped on the ground in excitement - it wasn't often that they expressed outwardly like this, but they truly were proud of their family. "We were settled between two large mountains. It's a very beautiful place." 

Heat crept up onto their face when they realized that they had likely expressed more than they should, and they cleared their throat. "Apologies. I did not mean to go on like that." Embarrassed, but still with more light behind their eyes, simply thinking about their family.
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
His thin white-tipped tail waved in return, giving the ground a couple of quiet thumps. He couldn't help but chuckle at them calling themselves a "fluffy dandelion". Kind of a funny thing to come from a matter-of-fact statement.  It is a beautiful but distracting pelt, yeah- but come wintertime you'll have the upper hand against me. The elken blood huffed in amusement. Autumn was his time to reign supreme as a hunter, his tones of brown and golds blending in well and truthfully his brown was an advantage most of the time- but none more so than fall when colors grew warm and dull.

Comfortably, he laid on his side and propped his head up with a paw to listen to Lio talk about their homeland. The way they lit up when speaking about it drew the corner's of his lips up even as he remained obediently closed-mouthed and observant. A land of tall white and silver wolves... The most blasphemous thing he could think of in his neck of the woods, but thinking outside of his family's ways he pictured them in his mind with wonder. Wolves made for the cold and snow as if it were bound in their blood, and since he didn't know any better he pictured all of them with the same fluff that his companion carried. A herd of wispy-furred clouds moving with precision to bring down a large elk... It was actually kind of a funny image.

But his head cocked confusedly when they suddenly stopped to apologize. Why sorry? I was enjoying hearing about it. He assured, hoping some look on his face hadn't made them feel like they needed to. My homeland was very large but admittedly... I was kind of a sheltered kid. I grew up in a very religious and- if I'm gonna be blunt here- prejudiced family. I don't like being that way now though, I like hearing about other packs and their cultures. It's interesting to me.

His tone subtly encouraged them to go on if they had more they wanted to reminisce on, or alternatively, they'd have questions about his home he imagined. Now that they were companions, it was only fair for him to share his side too.
34 Posts
Ooc —
Beautiful. Had anyone ever used that term to describe them before? Different, unique, strange, interesting, perhaps. But not beautiful. The word caused a strange reaction - a heat that rose to their cheeks, warming the skin under their fur in a way that was similar to embarrassment, but not quite. 

How odd. 

"It is... distracting," they agreed softly, tail sweeping over the ground once as they sat down. "Without snow, at least. Yours blends in very well, now. You look like changing leaves." It was a compliment - that was how they meant it, at least. 

It was rather clear that he was enjoying listening to their story, so they didn't truly know why they felt the need to apologize. "The emotions... Carroch wolves are stoic and hardened. It is unbecoming to speak with such excitement." Weakness - emotion caused weakness and hesitance and to survive you needed none of that. But Lio had always struggled with the idea. 

So it seemed that they had both been sheltered, but perhaps in different ways. Prejudiced and religious. They'd heard both of those words before - their grandfather had told them of those mindsets before they had parted ways. "Prejudice... is the judgment of others, negatively?" they questioned, trying to recall exactly what they'd been told. "Was it based on their religion, or other factors?" There was no judgment in the questions - Lio was enjoying listening to him. 

These ideas were interesting, as well. If there was one good thing about the Carroch wolves, they did not hold many prejudices. For where they lived, pale fur was better, but there had been others with darker pelts, and Lio even had spots on her face. They had never judged.
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
His pelt looked like changing leaves... He would indeed take that as a compliment. Autumn was beautiful, and he'd be lying if he wasn't aware of the beauty in his coat- browns with streaks of glistening gold when the sun hit it right, not to mention his particularly cream behind. Oh he had pride in himself, even if most of that pride was bred out of spite, combating others' disgust aimed at his white trim.

But he found himself confused by their next statement. Confused at first at least, then somewhat understanding of what they meant. The Deorwine too were known for hiding emotions in some aspects, but more in an "act polite to their face talk behind their back" sort of way rather than showing none at all, and there of course were some who showed too much and let their emotions drive them haphazardly. Dramatics. But all wolves being cold as the snow they made their home on? No wonder Lio seemed so... Placid.

I see... Well... We're not exactly in the company of Carroch are we? You can speak with as much excitement as you want, your secrets' safe with me. He mused, making a playful gesture with his paw next to his mouth as if he were passing a secret. Laying his hand back down, he gave a little shrug. To me, excitement is passion. But, to each their own. 

Their next question was met with a lofty sigh, followed by a silent moment of him pondering how to explain it best. Both I guess. My family believed that wolves born with brown pelts were blessed by our god, and all others were inferior- not fitting of his blessing, or worse. Again his white paw was off the ground, motioning at his white-tipped face. The color white is seen as being stripped of that blessing. And I had just enough on me to be considered a curse.
34 Posts
Ooc —
Their family had not been cruel, but they had not been... warm. Icy, just like their homeland. There was so much beauty in the way they lived, Lio thought, but they weren't sure if that was an existence they would be happy with. So much power and unity and knowledge, but little in the way of love or affection or passion or anger. 

Lio was not that way. They'd always experienced emotions stronger than the rest of their pack, and though they'd never been truly chastised for it, there had not been approval either. More disappointed looks and confusion from their elders. It had been embarrassing. 

But here they were being encouraged to express excitement. Encouraged to emote. Knox seemed to be good at it, and Lio trusted that he wouldn't judge them for it. "We are in the company of one Carroch wolf," they reasoned, trying to express that perhaps they themselves were not comfortable with that just yet. But they could learn. "I appreciate that, though. I can try." The way he brought his paw to his face was endearing, and it brought a crinkled smile to their face. How interesting. 

Oh, white fur was bad in his culture? Or in the culture he left behind. They hummed in thought, narrowing their eyes and looking down at their snowy fur. "Well, I like white fur," they reasoned, and offered Knox a warmer smile. "It looks very nice on you. How sad it is that they couldn't appreciate it."
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
Understood...

The man murmured in his head with a quiet nod. At least the fluffy wolf knew that he didn't think it was unbecoming of them to show their emotions. His newfound progressiveness upon his flee from Kingslend had him squarely placed in the court of not wanting to let anyone else feel less than at any cost, especially not for something so natural. His assumptions about Lio and their pack troubled him inwardly, but he didn't know as much as he thought he did about their situation- blurring the lines of cruelty and culture in favor of likening it to the way he had felt slighted by his family. 

Luckily, he held his tongue on that now. Respectfully.

The mixed feelings within him mulling over that fact dissipated when they complimented his fur, followed by a warm smile that brought a small amount of heat to his face. Despite Lio's stoic-ness, they still had a unique sense of charm to them. He hoped he'd see more of that as they traveled. Thank you. It's a shame they choose to see the beauty in some things but not others. No variety. I'm happy to be out in the world where things are different and ever-changing.
34 Posts
Ooc —
Lio was thankful to get off of the topic of their current emotional state. They would... figure it out, eventually, they were sure, but for now it was too messy. Too soon after leaving home. They hadn't had enough time to think things through and become comfortable with themself just yet. 

And maybe their home was cruel, in a way. Maybe there was more they would learn about it, given time and experience. But they couldn't see that now. 

"You are the first wolf I've met who has a marking on your face. Ours aren't exactly the same, but I like knowing that I'm not the only one." A pause, before they spoke again. "It is... beautiful. Different. So you don't look like everybody else."

They looked out over the horizon, at the darkening sky. The temperature had dropped to a point where they could notice it, even if they weren't cold personally. Especially up this high. "We have talked for a long time," they realized, ears swiveling to the sides. "How will we get down in the dark?" They didn't feel confident enough in their climbing skills to get down from here with the sky darkening like it was.
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
There was a genuine look of warm appreciation on his features for the white-spotted wolf. Two beautiful creatures forming a kinship over their uniqueness... It made his heart swell a size larger to feel that sort of comradery again. Of course, he had a few other cursed relatives that he could lean on before the fire, but the largest thing they ever felt drew them together was their scorn.

Maybe we needed to come across each other, then. He murmured in quiet confidence, almost under his breath. Another sign from his highness that there was more to life than what he'd known before. I needed to hear that, Lio.

Letting the tender moment ebb away with the sun's last light, he flicked his ears at their realization. He'd had no intention of climbing down at all at this point- too dark and too strenuous, and the cold didn't bother the elken-man much. But if Lio ended up wanting to go down he'd aid them in doing so.

Sorry for running my mouth too long. He laughed softly. I don't mind being stuck up here for the time being. It might be dangerous to try to descend now, but we can if the moon comes out more or wait till first light. If you need to sleep, I can keep a lookout. They need not worry about too many other things on the mountain as high as they were, aside from cougars and other wolves, maybe. But no predator stood much of a chance trying to sneak up on them, as there was nowhere around them to hide. They were out in the open, yet given a keen vantage point on all sides.
34 Posts
Ooc —
Lio had not needed this validation like Knox did. They had never been treated differently for their markings, but they had seen it. Seen the pure white faces of their relatives and wondered why their own was so mottled. It was very nice to know that they were not the only one in the world that had their color broken by a pattern.

It was... touching, to know that they were connected. 

"I believe they call it 'fate,'" Lio murmured, tail sweeping softly over the rocky earth behind them. "That if something is meant to happen, it will happen." Surely that meant that wolves who were supposed to meet would meet eventually. Maybe that was what was supposed to happen to them.

They shook their head quickly at the apology. "No! I like talking to you," they assured, offering him a small smile. "I don't have to go down tonight. It would probably be safest to wait until the morning." Sunlight would help guide them down far easier than moonlight. 

So, they'd just have to sleep there tonight. It wasn't preferable, as Lio was used to sleeping beneath the shelter of the trees, but they didn't think that Knox would hurt them. "I doubt that any predators would travel all the way up here," they reasoned, settling down on their stomach. It was chilly, but they were well-equipped for it. "If you need to sleep, I believe you can, too."
21 Posts
Ooc — Werge
Away
"True." He nodded at her statement. Perhaps she was right, there wasn't much for them to worry about. He was a light sleeper anywho, and it wouldn't take much for him to be woken up by an intruder. "Rest then Lio, maybe I'll join you shortly- I may stay up for a touch longer though."

All this talk of fate, his mind was now alive with deep thought. Spared from the flames, and led to another that assured his inward feelings of self. His god was clearly leading him on a path of knowledge, learning the ways of life outside of the land that he'd purged and showing him something better. Deorwine were so set in their ways but his god had proven to him (and perhaps to him alone) that he saw something in him and had a plan. Whether that was true or a fire fueled by his own ego- he wasn't keen on knowing that truth. It wasn't important.