Emberwood coquilles.
194 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
I've never been their target, but I have seen the results of their attention. She explained in the next moment, answering Lumiya's question succinctly. It was terrible to think of how Praimfaya had suffered, how she had come so close to death. If that's what you got for merely visiting (and prior to a proper claim being established) then Stryx did not want to know what the Saints would do once their claim was legitimate.

Lumiya was more than happy to accept her aid, as most were. It was good to hear that her people were not suffering to any great extent; but it could only get worse, she reasoned. Donovan seemed to enjoy the struggles he caused, and if Lumiya had become his newest fixation, she was in ever-present danger. It was too bad Stryx could not fight for her; she doubted talking to Donovan or appealing to him would do much good either. If nothing else, he knew what he wanted and how to get it.

Stryx is quiet for a moment. She has not stopped thinking about all that she's seen, what she's learned about the wolves of this region, and she feels compelled by everything to offer more; but she knows she cannot, not if she is to keep with her vows and honour the women of the Order, as is required of her.

But she's been contemplating that too. Ever since Raleska. Ever sine Erzulie, who had built a life for herself outside of her training. (Perhaps you might see its appeal this time, Erzulie suggested, days ago, in reference to the arid coast; it was an offer Stryx did not heed because she was not ready to.) She was compelled to stay in the area for Connie's sake, too, but the Saints were a threat—and she still held Donovan's blessing for what it was worth. Too many things were at play in her mind.

If I were to... pledge myself to you, or to your people, Stryx pondered aloud, her gaze lingering upon Lumiya's youthful face, I could mend those who need it. But my knowledge came to me at a price. I had to swear to uphold a certain lifestyle, and I would be travelling a lot. If I kept myself contained to this valley—not just your willows, but to all those that require aid in this region—would I still be welcome?

It was the only way she could honour her vows without outright breaking them; it was a slight bend to the rules ingrained within her, and while her teachers would not have been pleased, they lived in a world far from the present and Stryx could handle a little rebellion if it meant rendering aid in a time of crises.
Messages In This Thread
coquilles. - by Stryx - July 16, 2020, 05:29 PM
RE: coquilles. - by Lumiya - July 21, 2020, 03:45 PM
RE: coquilles. - by Stryx - July 21, 2020, 04:04 PM
RE: coquilles. - by Lumiya - July 21, 2020, 04:21 PM
RE: coquilles. - by Stryx - July 21, 2020, 04:32 PM
RE: coquilles. - by Lumiya - July 21, 2020, 04:45 PM
RE: coquilles. - by Stryx - July 21, 2020, 04:54 PM
RE: coquilles. - by Lumiya - July 21, 2020, 06:00 PM
RE: coquilles. - by Stryx - July 21, 2020, 06:16 PM
RE: coquilles. - by Lumiya - July 21, 2020, 06:44 PM
RE: coquilles. - by Stryx - July 21, 2020, 07:13 PM