Sun Mote Copse I'll be resting my eyes
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She could see the bewildered hurt in both her children's eyes and was grateful when Weejay came closer anyway. Wildfire nuzzled against her, breathing in her scent and soaking up her warmth. She looked beseechingly at Elfie but he had already turned and left the den. Although it broke her heart, she understood and didn't hold it against him or love him any less. Goodbye, baby boy, she thought, knowing the flash of his little red tail was the last she would ever see of him.

Wildfire couldn't dwell on that long. Her mate had now collapsed against her, sobbing into her fur, and the Sovereign made a soothing noise low in her throat and simply bore his weight and his tears. She wished she could hold him but she didn't have the strength. She wish she could think of something profound to say but she was too tired for speeches. All she could do was think I'm sorry and I love you and thank you and goodbye...

She could feel her heartbeats slowing in her chest, her breath coming shallower now. Her eyelids felt heavy and the interior of the den was dimmer than before. Wildfire refused to risk resting her eyes, instead clinging to consciousness. Fortunately, her loved ones did not make her wait. It was only moments after Eljay's broken call that her godparents arrived at the den. She could barely lift her eyes to look at them, much less her head. But she sensed them there, was comforted by their familiar scents and the soft sounds of their voices. They had been there the day she'd come into this world and she was glad they would be here on the day she left it, even if their roles should have been reversed.

Finley had the presence of mind not only to come up close but whisper exactly the words the dying mother needed to hear. Despite the fact that her bodily processes were already shutting down on her, tears squeezed out of her eyes and trailed down her bony cheeks. "Thank you," she breathed, "I love you." Again, there was so much more she wanted to say but there just wasn't enough time and Wildfire didn't have the energy. She just hoped those five simple words said everything else she couldn't.

The Sovereign said nothing else after that, simply existing in these last few precious moments with her nearest and dearest so close by. Wildfire felt like she could let go now, surrounded by those she loved and those who loved her back just as fiercely. And though she was terribly sad and afraid, she was also as prepared as she could be for this untimely end. But she wanted to hold on... just a little longer... just in case...

"@Kiwi?" she breathed into the solemn air of the den. Where had her daughter gone? Who would step up and take care of the pack in her absence? "@Raven?" Wildfire knew the Redhawks matriarch was busy these days but hoped she would come. Like Elwood and Finley, she had been there since Wildfire had taken her first breath and she wanted Raven to be beside her too when she drew in her last.
Messages In This Thread
I'll be resting my eyes - by Wildfire - May 20, 2019, 11:00 AM
RE: I'll be resting my eyes - by Weejay - May 20, 2019, 07:14 PM
RE: I'll be resting my eyes - by Eljay - May 21, 2019, 08:03 AM
RE: I'll be resting my eyes - by Merlin - May 21, 2019, 04:54 PM
RE: I'll be resting my eyes - by Wildfire - May 21, 2019, 05:15 PM
RE: I'll be resting my eyes - by Weejay - May 21, 2019, 06:20 PM
RE: I'll be resting my eyes - by Eljay - May 21, 2019, 07:58 PM
RE: I'll be resting my eyes - by Merlin - May 22, 2019, 04:01 AM
RE: I'll be resting my eyes - by Finley - May 22, 2019, 08:18 PM
RE: I'll be resting my eyes - by Elwood - May 22, 2019, 09:27 PM
RE: I'll be resting my eyes - by Wildfire - May 22, 2019, 09:56 PM