Moonsong Glacier chandogya
1,318 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Coach
All Welcome 
arjun had left him in charge. the assignment filled him with a warmth that spread to the farthest reaches of toes and tail-tip, and he vowed to not let his son down.

not that there was much to handle, though. morningsong was a peaceful place; he anticipated no trouble or strife.

instead, he took to meandering the glacier, taking stock of things—

and all the while, an old song rattled 'round in his head.

"ae meri zohra jabeen,
tujhe maloom nahin
tu abhi tak hai haseen
aur main jawaan!
tujhpe qurbaan meri jaan, meri jaan. . ."

he gave voice to the first line, then felt his throat close up tight. he'd sang this last for arjun's aunt, his first mate—and never again. and he could not, now.

the songs of his heart were weighed down by loss and memory.

सर्वम् ब्रह्मोपनिषदम् माऽहं ब्रह्म
निराकुर्यां मा मा ब्रह्म
निराकरोदनिराकरणमस्त्वनिराकरणम् मेऽस्तु।
33 Posts
Ooc — Tuft

Hototo was just about to go to sleep. He had a long day of hunting, trying to find something to provide for the pack. He was about to close his eyes when he started to hear one of the wolves  start to sing. He got upset at first. “This ain’t the time for singing!” He thought to himself. But when he actually stopped to listen, he was astonished at how graceful and beautiful the wolf sang it!

Hototo stood up, perked his ears toward the sound of the music, and walked towards it. Just as he saw who was singing, the other wolf stopped. 

Hototo sat there for a moment, seeing if they would continue. He saw that it was Aditya. When Aditya didn’t continue, Hototo asked with his southern drawl “Why did you stop? That was amazing! You got anymore of those songs?”.

1,318 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Coach
aditya turned his head toward the onlooker and smiled ruefully. thank you, he said, with sincere gratitude. but it's a song with painful memories. i could not continue.

it was the hunter, the one who'd led them in the chase some days ago. he had a nice air of command about him, and adi thought he could make a good second-in-command to arjun. perhaps he'd mention that, when his son had returned.

hototo, right? he asked to make sure, hoping the name hadn't slipped from his grasp like so many others had. he stretched slightly, feeling his bones pop and muscles sigh in relief. yes, i've more songs. plenty more. are you a singer, yourself?
33 Posts
Ooc — Tuft

"Yep! Hototo's my name!" Hototo said. 

He ashamedly said "Oh no. I can't sing. I couldn't sing the same note twice even if you gave me a whole year to practice! I sound like a toad leapt into my throat and died."

He realized right then that Aditya was Dutch's father, so he needed to make a good impression on him if he ever wanted to become a leader beside Dutch. He straightened up his posture, trying to look impressive.

"You must be Dutch's father right? He is an incredible leader! I am surprised that you are here though. Where is you're mate?"

1,318 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Coach
the other wolf's admission sent him chuckling, and he nodded along with the sentiment, eyes creasing with mirth. he was soon questioned, and nodded still, shifting his weight as he settled into his role here—elder statesman and all.

i am dutch's father, aditya replied. but i have no mate. dutch's mother and i—we've—reconciled an arrangement between the two of us. she is free, and i am free.

it didn't totally register on the surface, but perhaps a like-minded soul would understand.

he tilted his head. and where do you come from, hototo? he asked.