Arrow Lake you're just another brick and i'm a sledgehammer
114 Posts
Ooc — Van
Birth 
When River woke, it was pitch dark.

She blinked, sluggishly coming realize that every part of her ached as if she had been in a fight or had taken a great fall. The air, too, seemed just as stiff, laden with the smell of blood and bodily secretions that her brain (temporarily) could not decipher. But it was not the stagnant permeation of scents or the dull throbbing of her body that she became most aware of.

It was the writhing at her belly; the squirming along the fringes of her underside that she felt most intensely.

The feeling of pups suckling. Of tiny bodies thriving.

River's memory of the day ebbed and flowed, coming and going just as her consciousness did. She couldn't even stay awake long enough to count how many were latched. And though she was also aware of someone else there in den, she could not muster the strength to wonder about them too long before she was away again β€” exhausted from the ordeal, spent beyond repair, for the time being.

It would be many hours more before she could recall the event in full, let alone greet the lives she had brought into the world.
61 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Uhhh... I hope this is okay!! I didn't see a tag or private. But if you want me to remove it then send me a PM!

Thyme moved under the cover at night, he had slept most through the day and was too alert to really sit still. He didn't want to be too stationary, especially as a lone wolf. The male continued his way, though he might return to this valley. His eyes were set on the mountains ahead, curious what would lie behind it. Thyme had decided that he would go there. He had a quick drink at the lake before continuing his way.

The scent of blood reached his nose and he was briefly surprised at it. It also got him curious as he tracked it down. It would probably get him in trouble, unless it was someone needing his help. He was on alert in case he would need to make a run for it. He didn't see anything yet as he dared closer. It was not just blood, there were other scents in mixed as well. Birth? But-- The male frowned. Had he trespassed into a territory? It couldn't be, he was always respectful of borders. His mother taught him that.

The loner curiously crept closer to the den where the scent came from. His body low to the ground. He found the entrance a little ahead of him. Maybe he shouldn't intrude... But... what if she needed help? It was something he hadn't seen before, a birth in neutral territory. H-Hello?, his voice spoke softly. The last thing he wanted was to scare someone. He did keep some distance from the entrance. Do you need.... a-assistance?
114 Posts
Ooc — Van
this was intended as a self-thread BUT i think this way is much more fun!! happy to have you <3

Through the delirium rang a voice, an unfamiliar one at that.

River angled groggily towards the sound, her rage tempered by exhaustion. What? she snapped from the darkness, brain still lagging, mouth dry. Having missed the context of the stranger's words, she warned him: Come any closer and I'll kill you. The threat was more of a croak than a snarl, but it sounded genuine nonetheless.

Her body started to wake up more. She shifted in the dark, hackles rippling.

Do I fucking know you? She kept tucked into the back of her den, adrenaline rising as she became more aware of surroundings -- of her predicament. The mother felt alarm in her lizard brain, and her growl started to vibrate through the still air. If that stranger so much as set paw in here, she would make sure they'd leave without that same paw.
61 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Okay I'm glad!! <3

Thyme wasn't here to cause trouble or even intended to hurt the female. He was met with aggression. He couldn't blame the female. She was probably out on her own and very vulnerable right now, and her children probably even more so. Thyme made sure to stay out of the den as he did not want to be killed. I won't, he promised. Are you in pain? Hungry? In need of something?, he asked her kindly.

Thyme paused. Umm... No probably not. My name in Thyme. I am on my own, traveling the lands. I just wanted to offer some kindness to someone who seems in trouble. I don't know much about your ... situation. But... I figured-- um well deducted that you might be on your own and-- The diluted colored wolf stopped his rambling. Sorry. I tend to ramble. I just wish to help. Was it so weird of him to offer help? Maybe, but he had seen his mother help countless wolves. Plus these types of interactions were also what made life interesting. I can possibly find you some medicinal herbs to make you feel better?
114 Posts
Ooc — Van
The voice that reached her was apologetic in tone, if not obscenely kind. River snorted, attempting to force herself to calm down and listen without overreacting. It was a difficult process in her vulnerable state, so she was quiet for a long moment after the wolf β€” Thyme, he'd said β€” had stopped speaking.

Though she would typically have no qualms with using others for her own benefit, she was reluctant to accept anything from someone she didn't know at this time.

I'm not taking herbs from a stranger, she asserted, wincing as she quietly repositioned herself to create a barrier between her whelps and the denmouth. Her delirium had almost completely washed away, now replaced by adrenaline-fueled awareness. But I will accept fresh meat. Since he was so eager.
61 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Thyme was glad that the female was responsive to him even though it did take awhile. He didn't mind it. He was pleased her could help. In hindsight, hearing her speak he realized that it might be a little silly to offer her herbs. He wanted to apologize for it, mostly for not thinking about it! Certainly. I can do that, he spoke, determined. With that the young male moved away from the den in looking for fresh meat. He took his time to scout out the landscape and something that was doable for him. He settled on a rabbit, but they weren't as common on this mountain. He did smell some hares.

Thyme returned a good hour later, perhaps even more. He had done his best, and came back with a hare in his jaws. He approached the den carefully. He placed it down and chuffed to let her know he was here. The male nudged the hare closer to the entrance of the den, very careful after to give her space. I hope it helps you and your children. He hoped that they would make it.
114 Posts
Ooc — Van
River listened as Thyme's footsteps faded away, and in the resulting silence, her heart started to race. A single question started to echo in her thoughts:

Why did you let him leave?

Paranoia nestled against her like a fifth suckling pup. She could feel it squirming against her belly as she wondered if he'd retreated to fetch his buddies, to ambush her. To steal or kill her children. She nosed them, counting them, her thoughts racing on how best to escape with them all.

But she knew to move them now would surely bring their death. If not her own. Her only chance was to prepare to fight. To claw out any eye she saw and rake down to the bone with her teeth. She stayed awake the entire time he was gone, despite her unfathomable exhaustion, steeling herself for the moment she would need to defend her newborns...

He returned alone, bearing meat. When she was sure he had retreated, River eased forward cautiously, her disembodied head appearing out of the darkness. She eyed Thyme for a moment, a threat in her swordsilver eyes, before angling her muzzle to sniff suspiciously over the hare. It was so fresh, her mouth instantly watered.

River snatched it up and disappeared back into the den faster as a blink. The crunch of bones echoed out, followed soon by a thank you that was muffled by a mouthful of meat.
61 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Thyme was glad when the female took the meal. If she hadn't then he had eaten it himself. The young man got a glimpse of the female. Those dangerous silver eyes watching him, warning him. Thyme's own reddish brown eyes told her that he meant no harm. He went to sit down, quite tired from his hunting. His ear twitched when he heard the female murmur a thank you. You are welcome. I hope it helps you, he offered. Do you wish for me to leave? He figured she might want the rest and not some stranger lurking around the den. He might wait around for a bit before he would continue his travels. It wasn't that he was going anywhere.