Redhawk Caldera All my down and outs
228 Posts
Ooc — Kris
Jaws had caught a fresh rabbit early that morning, before the sun had even risen, but he did not eat it - it was to be his bait. He was going to use it to get a bird, which he had promised Wildfire last time he had vistited as she had enjoyed the single feather he brought so much. By now, she was probably in need of another one, and her siblings might enjoy them as well. So, with a plan in mind, the crafty coywolf set to work, choosing a strategic spot beneath an opening in the tree canopy. Very nearby he excavated a hideout beneath the branches of some brush, and thanked his fortune that his coat disappeared into the shadows. He tossed the remaining half of the rabbit just in front of the brush, and crawled in to wait with the patience of a spider in the web.

It was an hour before the first crow started circling overhead, having caught a glimpse of dinner through the opening in the trees. It was soon followed by several other crow who wanted a share of the meat. Jaws waited another quarter hour before the crows finally descended, and then he waited some more, for just the right moment. A squabble broke out over one bird's proximity to another, and that was when the coywolf struck, while their attention was so squarely on each other. As the birds shrieked and try to fly off, he seized one by the back foot, and with a ruthless swing of his head bashed it against a tree with enough force to instantly kill it.

His gray jay approved, swooping in with an exuberant chirp from its vantage point in the trees and alighting on Jaws' shoulder. He bit off a small chunk from the rabbit, which the gray jay promptly carried back into the trees, and then gathered both his catches and headed toward the Alpha's den. He arrived to find Wildfire and one of her siblings, a black female, romping in the shade, and a third rolling around in the sun, babbling to the clouds. With a courteous nod, he dropped his catch near Fox, plucked a feather from the bird and quietly stepped over to investigate the tawny pup, peering down at him before dropping the feather, which gently floated down and landed on him.

"Your sister liked these," he mused
Messages In This Thread
All my down and outs - by Nightjar - March 17, 2015, 11:08 AM
RE: All my down and outs - by Jaws - March 17, 2015, 01:14 PM
RE: All my down and outs - by Nightjar - March 31, 2015, 08:17 AM
RE: All my down and outs - by Jaws - April 03, 2015, 08:51 PM
RE: All my down and outs - by Nightjar - April 05, 2015, 12:41 PM
RE: All my down and outs - by Jaws - April 07, 2015, 05:29 PM
RE: All my down and outs - by Nightjar - April 16, 2015, 06:14 PM
RE: All my down and outs - by Jaws - April 20, 2015, 02:07 PM
RE: All my down and outs - by Nightjar - April 22, 2015, 10:28 AM
RE: All my down and outs - by Jaws - April 24, 2015, 11:40 AM