i think that they could be the better half of me.
563 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
It was a lot to take, she knew.  What's more, Harlyn knew that Mordecai's fondness for the Plateau's alpha was more than just that of a subordinate to their leader. They were friends - close ones, at that.  Part of her wanted to feel guilty for saying such things about his friend, but she did not often apologize for feeling the way she did, nor for being so candid about it.  She would apologize for how she made others feel with her opinions, however, but Mordecai's response - or lack thereof - left her without any air in her lungs with which to speak.

He said nothing.  After all she'd explained, Mordecai had nothing but a pained whisper on his tongue.  She nearly flinched at the utterance of her name, the power of his emotions behind it far stronger than had he released a verbose tidal wave upon her.  All at once, she realized.. He would not come.  Her heart had blinded her from seeing the reality of the situation.  Mordecai did not want to lead.  He did not want to leave the Plateau.  He did not want to be with her.

Thunder quaked heavily above as more flashes of lightning lit up the sky.  The clouds looked ripe to burst with rain, and Harlyn felt suddenly that she had rather a lot in common with them as her own tears began to line her eyes.  The Cinderloch was stronger than that though.  She would not dissolve to tears or resort to pleading.  She would not beg for his love, for him to care more for her and making her happy than he did his loyalties to an alpha who would sooner run off to defend some stranger than his own pack.  She knew better than to ask fate to change its direction for her - she was not so significant in the grand design.

Silence enveloped them for a moment, but eventually she spoke again in an almost conversational tone in spite of the fact that it felt as though her heart was splintering within her chest.  "We found a place..." Harlyn said quietly, "Luke and I.  It's beautiful, full of streams and covered in tall trees.  I hope... I hope you'll come see it, someday."  There was a subtle finality to her words that she hadn't exactly invited to be there.  She couldn't help but feel that there was no where else to go from there, though.  She had said her piece and he had said his with his silence.
Messages In This Thread
RE: i think that they could be the better half of me. - by Harlyn - July 23, 2015, 08:28 PM