Guidebook expansion?
all creation myths need a devil
445 Posts
Ooc —
Tracker
Master Tactician
(November 23, 2018, 02:23 PM)Indra Wrote: Over time some parts of the Guidebook, especially the parts that limited a lot of player creativity, were taken out - I believe this was player driven. The CMs can correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the more limiting parts of the GB were removed because they wanted to foster a less strict and controlling, more forgiving atmosphere. CM (and players) wanted a casual game so a lot of the more hardcore rules got revised to reflect that.

As it stands now, any species native to our setting is allowed. I believe there is actually an exhaustive list linked, for the wild faunas (which is region specific) -- but for the sake of character diversity I believe any NA species of wolf or coyote is allowed.

To be clear, I would not like to see (the return of) more restrictions/policing on what is and isn't allowed around here. I want the forgiving atmosphere and a short, comprehensive guide for generalized wolf appearances and behaviors. So when all someone has in their profile is "average agouti male with rainbow eyes and a spotted tail," there's an onsite reference to at least what the first part of that description might look like.

I realize that these are things that can be researched by individuals as they feel they need to, but if we have our "own" sources listed here for what "we" think wolves think and act like, then ideally we would all start with the same clay to mold our characters with.

I think my main problem is that I feel as if a lot of us take for granted the fact that we're mostly long-time friends around here. We all know "the rules" and the descriptions, been doing this half our lives, and yadda yadda, but every now and again we get a crowd of new faces - a surge of young people looking to get into this RP genre the same way we were a million years ago - and I think providing some accurate examples, as opposed to "guidelines", would be a good introduction/invitation for newcomers, and serve as a nice refresher for old-timers.

(Also, also, re: height/weight -- somewhere on the FAQ I linked to in my first post, there's actually a factoid on the ranges of wolf sizes, so if we ended up linking to that page from Wolf, then I think that might act as a good enough "reminder" for what may be too big or too small for a wolf.)
Messages In This Thread
Guidebook expansion? - by Stigmata - November 22, 2018, 01:06 PM
RE: Guidebook expansion? - by Seabreeze - November 22, 2018, 01:08 PM
RE: Guidebook expansion? - by Rosencrantz - November 22, 2018, 01:13 PM
RE: Guidebook expansion? - by Indra - November 23, 2018, 02:23 PM
RE: Guidebook expansion? - by Stigmata - November 23, 2018, 03:09 PM
RE: Guidebook expansion? - by Rosalyn - November 23, 2018, 03:57 PM
RE: Guidebook expansion? - by Tux - November 25, 2018, 05:26 PM