Wheeling Gull Isle You are my anchor, so steady me, steady me now
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer
the weeping prophet
105 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
<33
also, if any other pups from either litter still want to join in please feel free! <3

Heda came through the waves to meet him, and she neared without a word, yet her eyes spoke love. She carried with her the warmth of her presence and the scent of new milk. Everett's heart sighed and unravelled. Relieved. He had been so afraid she would be angry - but what had he to fear? She glowed with the glory of their Creator's love.

Despite the clear surprise on her face, Heda drew up alongside him and settled down in the sand to help him bathe the children. He set his mind on those who had eaten the berries, and though he could not sing as he cleaned, he continued to hum as he washed over the dark little girl and the patchworked boy. He had no names for them, no frame of reference for who they were or who they might be, if they would bring joy or grief to the island, but he knew their whole lives were in God's hands.

And in his heart, he prayed over each.

That the Lord bless them, and keep them,
     and make His face shine upon them.
That He would preserve them, and give them life,
     and fill their hearts with His great comfort,

through the love he and Heda sought to give.

When they were finally bathed and dried and set against Heda to nurse, she turned to him with the question he had long prepared himself for, but he found his words slow coming. Her voice was not accusing, but worried, and he wondered how much to share. Did he speak truth to her, or pull wool over her eyes? Must she know where they came from? Could they leave that in the past? Sorrow lined eyes as he met her worried face, and for a long moment, he let her gaze search him.

Their mother does not want them, he finally began, voice quieted so as to not stir or worry the children. They had already been through enough. He drew in a deep breath. And then,

I found my sister by the river that leads to the sea. Her husband had gone looking for a witch he believes had cursed her, and she -- well, my sister, she's not in her right mind. She was feverish, afraid he had left her. Before I could talk her down, her husband came, dragging berries, and the driftwood with these children all onboard. I accused him of stealing them -- I truly thought he did -- but he said the witch gave him these things -- berries to see spirits, and her children to raise. I don't know why - but I saw his eyes, and he was speaking true. I destroyed the berries, and covered them with dust, but two of the children had already eaten them. And the children -- he took them, but - but he did not want them! He would leave them to die, or leave my sister to die, and either way, there was no way --

Everett felt his composure start to break. He closed his eyes and drew another slow breath. Rainwater met gold again. Am I wrong, Heda? To bring these children here? Perhaps they were born in darkness -- but so was I. If God can save me, why not these? If I was wrong, you must tell me, he could not shake the final look Lestan had cast them, as Everett had crouched there with the little ones all around, and I will bring them somewhere else.
Messages In This Thread
RE: You are my anchor, so steady me, steady me now - by Everett - June 24, 2023, 03:28 PM