Redhawk Caldera face the facts
run wild. live free. love strong.
321 Posts
Ooc — Riven
He was growling in response to her words, but though she winced each time, Magpie continued to speak what she believed was the truth. Peregrine was at least listening, even if he disagreed, which was a step above just running off and ignoring her. His words hurt— she would be their aunt, by blood and by the relationship they forged, and although he was refusing to admit it, Peregrine couldn't change that. It occurred to her that her elder— her brother-in-law was being incredibly selfish. She didn't remember that about him, but then they had never been as close as she and Fox were.

Jaw tightening, she told him passionately, "I do want to make things right. That's all that I was ever trying to do. That's why I came back and why I'm staying." Perhaps he realized that and felt that she simply hadn't done enough, but considering this was the first actual conversation they had since she returned, it felt like he was failing to acknowledge any of that. "And I do care about the pack, but you're my Alpha— of course I'm going to care about your approval more than anyone else's." Magpie finished arguing the only points she felt might be productive, but she suddenly wondered if it was worth all this energy.

She could tell Fox that things weren't working out in the caldera, then run away with Summer— then, when they were of age, they could have their own pups and lead their own pack.

As appealing as it was, and as much as part of her wanted that, her promise to Fox was her compass. Magpie was determined to be involved in the lives of her nieces and nephews, to remain loyal to her family, regardless of how dysfunctional it currently was. She had a home amongst the Corvidae— they were family, too— but she felt an attachment to this place that she couldn't describe. The Wilds had forged her more than the Corvidae ever had.

After a beat, she continued more calmly, but with no less conviction: "I'm pursuing the outrider and naturalist trades, because I know I'll be good at them. But I'm not sure about a third, so I wanted to ask you if there are any the Caldera is in need of— especially with the pups coming. I know you and Fox will be busier when they're born." This was the heart of why she had called him in the first place, but she had mistakenly thought it would be better received if they cleared the air, first.
ALL WELCOME threads are considered fair game to me, even if they are already in progress. My characters will often make one- or two-post cameos; if you'd like me to continue posting, just tag me and/or acknowledge my character!
Messages In This Thread
face the facts - by OG Magpie - February 16, 2015, 03:10 PM
RE: face the facts - by Peregrine Redhawk - February 16, 2015, 03:43 PM
RE: face the facts - by OG Magpie - February 16, 2015, 03:51 PM
RE: face the facts - by Peregrine Redhawk - February 16, 2015, 06:45 PM
RE: face the facts - by OG Magpie - February 18, 2015, 09:12 PM
RE: face the facts - by Peregrine Redhawk - February 19, 2015, 08:54 AM
RE: face the facts - by OG Magpie - February 19, 2015, 03:25 PM
RE: face the facts - by Peregrine Redhawk - February 19, 2015, 03:34 PM
RE: face the facts - by OG Magpie - February 19, 2015, 03:53 PM
RE: face the facts - by Peregrine Redhawk - February 19, 2015, 03:58 PM
RE: face the facts - by OG Magpie - February 19, 2015, 04:05 PM