Northstar Vale Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin?
57 Posts
Ooc — JB + Ghostwriters
Away
That is totally fair, Awenfen! This got ridiculously long I am sorry.

The next stages of this meeting went awry immediately, according to Hime, and it was all Ibis' fault. The girl was worse than Hime's own sister when it came to intelligence—offering herself up in the role of a healer, of all things. Was she not a Queen? It was not the way of Queens to service the peasants of the realm. Her charity would win her nothing, Hime believed. It was futile to offer such a thing to the unproven and uninitiated rabble of society: only those of the Kingdom should benefit from such skills, and certainly not from a Queen. It was preposterous; the very idea made Hime's spine turn rigid.

Then came the pretty woman, finally stepping forth to speak. Her pose was unmistakable, and the timbre of her voice was remarkably familiar. Hime saw much of herself within this stranger—more so her own mother, which did nothing but spoil the girl in Hime's opinion. The girl offered platitudes and a piecemeal sob story that likely made Ibis' heart throb, but for Hime it was painful to her ears, a struggle to suffer through without letting the veneer of her assumed role break to pieces. Even her bow was well placed, a practiced thing of beauty, and Hime hated her all the more for it.

Finally the ugly mess of a man spoke up again; through all of this Hime held her tongue. She may have been trained as a diplomat in her youth, but no matter how well versed she felt in social situations, she was a heartless creature. It struck her as odd that they had these two guests: one, an escaped captive, and the other her likely keeper. Was this all some sort of trick?

As she opened her mouth to do away with them both, banish them from sight with some kind of pointless test that would lead them away from the vale (and with luck, to their deaths!) there came a sweet scent, a lilting sound of a voice from behind them. Her first thought was Reiko—had her sister managed to hike her way to the borders after all? Was Hime's ruse finally at an end? She shot the oncoming slip of a girl a daggering look, but softened slightly.

A stranger. Perhaps the woman these two had previously named—Awenfen? She was a slip of a girl, oddly proportioned, and deer-like, more-so than the Queen beside her. The woman looked from Ibis to Hime, murmuring introductions softly enough that Hime had to strain to hear her voice; but she noted the title that passed from her lips, realizing that her ruse might well be over after all.

I came vhen I 'eard ze 'owl, the woman went on to say. Her words were heavily accented but they suited her too, which was peculiar. It had been Awenfen that invited these cretins to their doorstep. Really, was this how Reiko recruited her subjects? Send the women out to draw filthy low-bred men in to the fold? It was certainly a strong enough tactic, she thought bitterly, and glimpsed to the pregnant Queen.

Her eyes trailed to Corra's face, and Hime's blue eyes were hard. You will forgive the duplicity, she drawled in her true voice, a touch deeper than the sweet-and-soft Reiko who she had previously impersonated. My sister Reiko is the Empress here, and as she is heavy with child, she has passed the mantle of power to myself. It is a temporary position, a proxy if you will. A way to keep her safe so that she may worry over her future children in peace. At this she shot Awenfen a vaguely smug yet stern glance. Now that Awenfen is here to confirm your stories, you may visit the Vale.

She moved back, feeling the cool emptiness of the space around her, and nodded her head as if to welcome them across the invisible threshold. However, she did not stop with her explanation: Miss Corra, you are of course welcome to any help our kingdom can provide. Perhaps while you recuperate you can share exactly how you landed yourself in such a situation? Hm, but now was not the time for such tales.

Next, the scarred man. Your servant has brought you safely to us. We have ample protection from our own guardsmen, those who are trusted and beloved by our fine Empress. We do not require more. Hime glanced at the nasty dark socket upon Memory's face, her eyes trailing to the various twists and turns of ugliness set in to the flesh, finding it distasteful and choosing not to hide the underlying disgust she felt upon looking him over. Awenfen, if you choose to spend some time with him you may, but his duty is complete. He may leave now.

With that, Hime bowed her head one final time, righted her posture, and began to drift back down the path in to the territory.
Messages In This Thread
Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Memory - May 20, 2020, 11:36 PM
RE: Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Hime - May 20, 2020, 11:39 PM
RE: Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Ibis (Ghost) - May 20, 2020, 11:46 PM
RE: Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Memory - May 21, 2020, 12:01 AM
RE: Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Hime - May 21, 2020, 12:09 AM
RE: Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Ibis (Ghost) - May 21, 2020, 12:27 AM
RE: Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Cordelia - May 21, 2020, 02:32 PM
RE: Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Memory - May 21, 2020, 04:04 PM
RE: Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Necahual - May 21, 2020, 05:38 PM
RE: Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Hime - May 21, 2020, 06:38 PM
RE: Can I Stay? Would it be a Sin? - by Ibis (Ghost) - May 21, 2020, 07:19 PM