Redsand Canyon as the building continues to burn
127 Posts
Ooc — Flyleaf
Away
that metaphor slapped me in the face and reminded me of my old flame chess nerd phase…. learned something new today!

While Finley thought of plants and recklessness, Renard seemed to latch onto something else entirely. If he had been blinking scarcely before, entranced in their game just as much as she, his focus was truly piqued as he spoke. She’d moved a bishop; he saw a queen. Did he think their game was settled? Only a fool flaunted her power in the opening—or so beginners were taught. With enough skill it could fool a grandmaster.

But Finley, far as she was concerned, had moved a bishop.

She returned his stare, unwavering. “If they become a problem.” Peculiar word choice when the symptoms were evident. Would the conversation have taken this turn were the cacti smooth? But more concerning was the follow-up; the metaphor had been discarded.

Renard called for mutiny.

Did Finley want the same? More importantly: would she confess if she did? How easy it would have been, to agree…! leaving the middling pawns behind for the agreement they were not on opposite sides at all, and in fact should have been playing checkers against a rampant amateur with pieces stained red. If Renard’s signaling spoke true, he had a plan. Which was much, much more than Finley could say for herself. All she had to do was take the bait.

But he hadn’t earned his scars for nothing. Nor had she survived so long on blind trust.

Finley chose her words more carefully than ever; each one, a landmine. “I appreciate your tenacity.” Ah, but to let this be the one that got away…. Would it be so bad to give, just a little more? “Be careful. I wouldn’t die to pull out a thorn.” Nor would she let herself bleed out among them. Still: not a commitment; not a condemnation.

Given their conversation, the “warning” was delivered with little genuity. Of course Renard was careful. Had either of them been anything but?

maybe wrap in another round or so? especially since they got a more current thread going now :o regardless, this has been super fun!
Messages In This Thread
as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 21, 2020, 04:05 PM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 21, 2020, 05:25 PM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 21, 2020, 07:06 PM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 21, 2020, 09:15 PM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 22, 2020, 06:00 PM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 23, 2020, 02:00 PM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 23, 2020, 05:12 PM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 25, 2020, 11:09 AM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 25, 2020, 05:56 PM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Finley Grebe - July 25, 2020, 07:34 PM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 25, 2020, 10:03 PM
RE: as the building continues to burn - by Renard - July 27, 2020, 08:56 PM