Totoka River You are exactly what I want: kinda cool and kinda not
Hushed Willows
Lead Singer
the weeping prophet
99 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Reverie ignored him, and Lestan listened, but Everett heard the insanity in them both.

Reverie’s was a frightening kind; oblivious, delusional. She wrapped herself around the pups as though they were her own. As though they had not been taken. As though this was right.

Lestan’s was a stumbling type. Quick, stuttering. He had taken the children, but for what reason? He didn't seem to know if he wanted the children or wanted them gone.

Who gave up their children without demanding something in return? Everett only knew of witches from stories, but he knew enough to know they were nothing to be crossed.

Lestan’s eyes pleaded. Bring them light. Choose a god. His belly turned — and his mind, once more to Sweetharbor.

He had light. He knew God. And Everett had no doubt the Lion would welcome these children under the shelter of His care. He had welcomed Everett, after all — he, the worst of sinners. These pups could have life on the island. Love. The understanding of something beautiful. Someone beautiful.

They would have a chance.

I know God, his voice came in a hush, and He is good, and he knew of one who could give them milk. But no — this was insane! And he rounded with a sterner demand once more, What did she ask for, Lestan? What did you give her that made her give you her pups? What price would be on them? Why had she sent them away? And why would you even think of bringing those berries back with you — of eating them. You got them from a witch! his eyes turned to Reverie, molten in their rainwater, They’ll be no better than the mushrooms in the Gilded Sea, and you know what those did! Please, Reverie, I don’t want you to become that.

To become me, and what I was.

A god.

But he had only ever been mortal, a delusion wrapped up in gilded skin.
Messages In This Thread
RE: You are exactly what I want: kinda cool and kinda not - by Everett - June 22, 2023, 04:12 PM