Bearclaw Valley Tâvanimiut
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
For @Azaria

When he'd first heard the new member use the same language he'd grown up with, he'd been shocked, to say the least. He knew others used it, too—such as certain packs, tribes, and clans that lived near his place of birth—but he hadn't heard any wolf utter a single word of it since he'd arrived in the Wilds. It had disappointed him quite a bit at first, but he had later learned to accept it. Despite his lack of using it, the male could never forget a single word, as it was closer to being his first tongue than English was; he'd actually grown learning both at the same time, though. Nevertheless, it interested him, and made him wish to learn more about the female. He knew she was from the North, that much was obvious, but he didn't know which part specifically. For all he knew, the man could have very well passed by or visited her place of birth when he was younger, and had either not seen her or couldn't remember her. Given the space between the areas in which they were born, it was highly unlikely they'd ever met before, but he didn't know about that little issue in distance.

Kove looked towards the den he'd been situated near for awhile now, making sure there were no little escape artists trying to leave. Satisfied by the fact that no one seemed to be poking their heads out at the moment, he stood up from his spot and gave a quick shake, clearing his pale coat of any debris. His long legs began carrying him in the direction of the waterfall, a place he had grown to like very much. It was peaceful, the rush of water calming, and the passageway hidden behind the falling water was a huge plus. He wished to check on that, but he also wanted to be a little ways off from the den before calling out for the other Northerner. There were a number of questions he had for her, each one swirling around in his head as he moved towards his destination. His steps were as quiet as usual, too, allowing him to think freely without any sorts of noises interrupting him. It was only when he heard the rushing of water, did he pause in his thoughts so he could complete another task. Again, the Inuit found himself checking the tunnel entrance, pleased to see it was getting better. It wasn't perfect just yet, but he was sure it would be back to normal within the next few days.

Turning away from the space behind the waterfall, he moved a few paces forward so as not to be right next to the liquid as it crashed down and rumbled. Tilting his head back towards the sky, Kove let a low howl leave his throat through his opened maw, calling for the one who shared the tongue of his people. Azaria. The curiosity of her had hooked right into his mind, and seemed reluctant to leave unless he'd learned more about her. Such a thing did not show in his demeanor, however, nor did it spread across his face. He kept a neutral expression, moreover, though he did allow a trace of his interest to shine in his copper gaze. Patiently, he waited, looking forward to speaking with the woman he hoped to start a friendship with.
19 Posts
Ooc — June
The northerner was sure that the call hadn't come from beyond the territory borders.She hadn't been around the pack long enough to hear each hall but she could at least tell when someone was calling for her.There was an unmistakable lilt to the tone of the caller that beckoned her and the pale pelt hardly hesitated before moving through the scattered trees towards the sound.Ears alert and paws breezing by at an easy trot the wolf carried herself on curiously towards the howl that'd brought her out of her scouting stupor.She'd been dutifully patrolling the borders but was not about to ignore the pull when she was being called for.
The cushioned paws of her feet silently carried her on over the earthy terrain until a rhythmic rushing greeted her senses.She'd recognized the sound of a waterfall as that of water rushing over jagged precipices of rock though many of the falls she had stumbled upon were perfectly silent.Aza had once discovered one in her homeland but then it had been still,trapped in the clutches of winter.The cascades of liquid were frozen in thick sheets spilling over the cusp of the falls,crystallizing in a frozen frame of what was once running water.She had dared to venture out beneath the sullen sheets and closely inspected their shining surfaces but had little time to stay in any one area on her aimless journey.
Everything was so warm and alive in this land though at times she could see the same energy steadily beating through both realms.It merely took attention and time to discern just where the similarities could be found.Still,having the patience to notice them only made thought of her homeland all the more vivid and sobering.
The running water was beautiful in the way the pale spray caught the sun's light as if basking in the golden shine of the sun.Light glinted off the water and danced as the force of the falls send shudders rippling through the otherwise steady waters.Azaria entered the area and gazed at the space in wonder and curiosity before her tarnished gold gaze fell upon the one who had summoned her.His name was Kove,father of Scarlett's pups and who the newcomer believed to be the albino's mate. 
"Salutitsinik Nittunattuk.I believe it was you who called?"the pale pelt greeted her new pack member cordially,recalling that he'd spoken in the Inuit tongue to even his children on occasion.She was terribly curious to learn if he truly knew the obsolete language that had accounted for such a large portion of the culture of her homeland.
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
The male was not left waiting long, though the time it took for her to reach him was just long enough to allow his mind time to wander. Thoughts swirled around in his head, as did some memories his brain provided for him. It was like looking, and listening, through a dull and snow-covered sheet of ice. It was, in a way, like trying to listen in through the thick walls of the cave he'd been born into, though at times certain words and images came in much clearer. He could recall the time back when he'd met Scarlett, grinning inwardly to himself as he remembered exactly how they'd met. She'd been lost in the Wilds, and just so happened to had gotten fairly close to his previous pack's borders. It was before he'd officially earned his trade as a Warden, but there'd been something about her that had prevented him from acting towards her in the same manner he'd acted towards others that had gotten too close. They'd met several times after, too, before they'd eventually confessed their love to one another, and then founded the pack of Bearclaw Valley as a mated couple. Back then, things seemed wonderful, as if the life he'd secretly yearned for had been handed right to him. But, alas, even the greatest of things must eventually come to an end.

While, technically, the two were still married, there was a nagging feeling in the pit of his stomach that told him it would not be for much longer. He noticed things. He noticed how distant they'd become from one another, and then how much closer she'd grown to the Roman. The man was not blind, and yet he didn't step in to stop it from progressing any farther. No, he just stayed away and let it all unfold before him, until he'd finally realized it was much too late to do anything anymore. The Inuit had trusted her in many ways. He'd given her his heart, and had entrusted her with the task of looking after it. He'd been absent for a great while, yes, but there was a memory in the far corners of his mind that had urged him to believe it'd be just fine. In his birth pack, males and females would go off for weeks on end to track herds and hunt down larger, more dangerous prey. They'd travel to the seas to catch seals and the like, and there was never a guarantee on when they'd be back. For some, there was never even the guarantee that they'd ever be back. Still, though, those who stayed behind to look after the pack and it's young stayed loyal to their partners. Never once had he heard any of them complain or shout out how much they desired the comforting touch of their lovers. Not once were they anything but strong, putting on a brave face for all those near and far to see. The Inuit had made a mistake by believing Scarlett would be the save way, though. He'd screwed up the second he'd started to view her as a woman from his lands, when she so clearly was not.

To the sound of a voice, Kove's head turned to look at the pale face of his fellow Northerner. During his zoned-out state, his head had slowly drifted to the side in order to silently watch the falling water, but luckily he'd been able to snap back to his senses just in time to hear her. It would have been fairly embarrassing to ask her to repeat herself, after all. It was both the words she spoke and the language she used that had gotten his attention. Again, she addressed him with 'Nittunattuk'. It was a word he knew all too well, and he appreciated her usage of it. As conceited of a thought as it might have been, he really did find himself worthy of it, though he would never voice such thoughts aloud. Instead, he gave a soft nod of his head in response to what she'd said, silently confirming that her suspicions were, in fact, correct. "Salutitsinik, nukadlik," the ghost returned, a faint smile pulling at the corners of his maw. Oh, how he missed speaking the language of his people. While he could speak it with Alexander currently, and perhaps his other children soon, that was much different. They were still young, still learning the language and practicing it, trying each word out on their tongues with a hint of hesitation each time. It took a bit for them to be able to speak the words with the prideful tone that the language deserved, but the same was not the case for the woman before him. Azaria seemed to know the language just as well as any of those from his birth pack, which led him to believe that she was of Inuit blood—just like himself.

"Nanimiunguven?" the man asked, wishing to either confirm or rebuke his assumptions. Giving a slow shake of his head, he then set his copper gaze on her and offered the girl a genuine smile. "Kangâ. If you think asking that is prying, there's no need to answer it," he told her, not wishing to frighten her away due to his curiosity. "Since coming here, I've yet to hear anyone speak Inuttut, so the idea of having another of Inuit blood around who isn't one of my children is... illukki." Kove's tail had started to sway ever so slightly as he neared the end of his words, further proving his joy towards the fact that he would no longer be alone. For once, he would have someone he could speak with normally, rather than teach, which was bound to be a wonderful thing. Already, he was considering allowing her to assist him in the teaching of his children, that way they would learn from both the male and female perspective of the Inuits. They would learn of the pride and honour they were meant to carry with them, but also of how respecting one's elders and ancestors was of key importance. Then again, he knew he would need to learn more of the woman before bringing her around his children, but that was a bridge he was currently working on crossing over.
19 Posts
Ooc — June
“I have traveled a long way from my homeland,Alaska.Paunngavasittuk.An encounter with a pod of Âlluanguak tore apart my pack and forced me to aimlessly wander.Once I left I feared that I had heard the last of the Inuit tongue and my suspicions proved themselves true,until now.I cannot describe what a joy it is to find another who also speaks Inuttut matumani." 
The culture of the North was rich in language and rituals that would be otherwise lost to the rest of the world.Her pack had valued politeness and proper mannerisms that made their culture great.She had been lucky enough to have two parents that both fully embraced the culture that would otherwise be lost to the land.The Inuits were as much a part of the land as the land was a part of themselves.They coincided peacefully and worked together to establish healthy generations of strong descendants that would thrive in the arctic wilderness.It was their language that made communication between other packs possible and tied them together.The things they shared contributed to building their culture and such a sturdy set of morals made the white wolves who they were.That shared connection defined the very Inuit culture and even now languages had forged an immediate connection between two complete strangers.They had just met and already shared a bond that was ageless and the two would undoubtedly become great friends through it.
Things had changed so much since she'd left her home that the pale pelt feared that she'd loose touch with her heritage.Being able to speak the language with another though helped her regain a sense of familiarity that she hadn't experienced in years.
"And yourself?Naket piven?I extend the same courtesy to you however,you need not answer if you do not wish to."
Atâtak Atsanik
918 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Nov. 28, Edit; Ending added.

As the woman began to speak, Kove listened closely. He was still rather happy over the fact that, after having spent so much time in the Wilds, he'd finally been given the privilege of meeting another who was like himself. He wondered just how far North she hailed from, but did not bother to ask. No matter how far she'd come from, she was still an Inuit like himself, and he felt she didn't need to be bombarded with several variations of the same question. Plus, from the sound of it, she'd already dealt with enough. A feeling of empathy washed over him as he heard what had happened to her pack. Though he had most likely known none of them, he could not help but feel sorry for their separation, and possible deaths. He silently hoped that Anguta had come to take their souls with him, for those who had passed on that day. "I hope those of your pack who lived through that were able to find one another once more," he said as she finished speaking. He truly did hope that those who'd survived were reunited, but couldn't help but be glad that the woman before him had not found them. It was a selfish sense of happiness, he knew, but he had missed being around other Inuit wolves.

The ghost gave a small nod of his head, then, to show he had once shared similar fears. "I had run into a few who spoke the language during my first week of travel away from home, I believe. Just a loner here and there, and one or two packs heading for the sea to hunt. After the air started to grow warmer, though, I found no one. For awhile, it troubled me, and I had contemplated returning home, but then grew distracted by the sights of this place." Kove could still recall the moment in which he'd first entered the Wilds. He'd been immature and determined to never join a pack again, and had also hit a rough patch in which he'd felt he should be disconnected from his family and lineage. All that had changed, of course, and before he'd even realized what was happening, the man had found himself joining a pack. The ties he'd made to Teekon made him reluctant to leave, and after meeting Azaria, he was sure he never would again. "I'm glad I decided to stay here, despite the lack of other Inuits. Now that you're here, I'm sure things will be much more simple. I can only hope that more of our people eventually find this place, so perhaps someday we, and my children, will not be the only ones." It'd be wonderful if such a thing could happen, but he could not be sure if it ever would. The North was far away, and there were plenty of other habitable places along the way from it. So even if a young wolf was to leave their home, there was no guarantee they'd end up in Teekon. Disappointing, really, but there was always that sliver of hope that, eventually, someone would just continue walking until they reached the pale lupines within the valley.

When the woman returned the question of where he'd come from, there was no doubt that he'd answer it. She'd been kind enough to share with him, and so he would return the favour. "Avani, in Alaska. My birth pack resides within a forest that lies close to the imappik," the man informed her, recalling distant memories of his time spent at home. It had always been interesting in the forest. So full of life and positive energy. Fishing was a skill many were taught quickly, thanks to the close proximity to the ocean. "My immediate family still resides there. I was not forced to leave, but there was a need to travel within me that led me away. I do miss the place every now and again." Being born and raised in a place tied you to it in a way that could never be broken. While he had no plans of heading back up there any time soon, he still wondered what was going on. How everyone was doing, if he had any new relatives he needed to meet. The curiosity was not enough to lead him away, however, and his children also helped to keep him anchored. Azaria now, too, would serve as a good reason to stay, as he could not leave a fellow Inuit behind in a land where their people were practically nonexistent.

For the remainder of their time spent together, Kove did well to learn as much as he could of the woman. It felt wonderful to have her there, and he couldn't help but think it was more like home. When the time came to part ways and carry on with their days, the Inuit was reluctant to do so, but eventually gave in as he knew it was for the best. While he would do anything to spend as much time with her as possible, he knew he could not. They both had duties to attend to, and he would not be the cause of her potentially leaving a bad impression on the rest of the pack. So, Kove gave his farewells, watched her head off, then went on with whatever he needed to complete for the day.