Duskfire Glacier moon song
tell me what the rain knows
58 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
She had rested the first odd days they had arrived, exhausted from travel. Her youthful vigor was restored swiftly enough, and now the two month old awoke curled beside her brothers. Their mother slept soundly, and Tunerk turned back to look at her for a long moment before looking to their doorstep. She rest her chin upon a foreleg, thinking...

And then, she used her forelegs to drag herself away from her brothers. Tiny ears flicked as she now moved to all fours and with plenty of determination in her step, made to go outside, bold and brave and self-assured.
you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Nanook kept away from the den. She wished to make a home here, a family, and while the Northerners had welcomed her as a member of their growing fold, she remained uncertain. Afraid. Hesitant to draw closer, for fear of teeth and flashing eyes, for fear she has miscalculated the breadth of her welcome here.

Yet tonight found her passing by. The moon watched brilliant from the midnight sky, and she had simply let her restless legs wander until she found a place where she could watch the stars more clearly than from within the shadow of the woods. A milky scent stirred the air, warning her of her proximity to Shivali and her pups, but the heavenlies wooed her to be still and rest. Nanook eased to her haunches and let the mountain air whisper softly through her fur, and soon found herself oblivious to anything but the stars.
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
58 Posts
Ooc —
The scent was strange in its vague familiarity; she knew it, but not where it was from, and the wind had brought it, not a walking-trail. Still, Tunerk was led astray more times than once; she was young, and easy to distract. The form of a wolf caught her attention, and Tunerk boldly lifted her head and stared at the other who was, for the most part, unfamiliar to the cub. But that did not deter her. Tunerk stared long and hard for a moment, and looked to where they looked—and above her was the spotted canvas of the dark night sky, illuminated by the moon and stars.

She was fascinated by the skies dance; she found herself hopping forward, and looking down, as though the star might end up there. And then she simply stared upward, like Nanook, and lept up to catch one. Tunerk was met with the unrewarding, loud click that meant an empty mouth. So, these things were not for eating, or catching; but she found herself wanting to interact with them, and let out an exasperated yap-whine that relayed her frustrations.  
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
She did not feel the young eyes upon her; Nanook remained fixed on the many more who watched her from above. They were her guidance, her friends, arranging themselves in familiar form, bearing names she recounted as well as her family's own. Before the stars, the sky shimmered with the faintest aurora, the palest green, nearly blending with the deep bruise of the night.

The faintest movement in her periphery returned her roving heart to earth, and weighed her back to the corporeal, to the ground beneath her toes, and to the whine of the young blood who settled on the ground, much too close. Her chest pricked with needles of heat, and she glanced in the den's direction with instinctive worry, expecting to see the white mother pull through the thin line of trees, jaws agape and ready to tear - yet only darkness met her.

So she turned back to the dusky girl, wanting to scoop the child up to set her back in the den before her mother could even notice the cool spot at her side, while at the same time... not. Nanook had watched her siblings from a distance a great many times, but had never dared to venture so close. Even now, the darkness obscured most of the young girl's colours from sight. It was perhaps safer for her to stay away, but it wasn't right, and Nanook ducked her head and kept her voice soft, glancing in the den direction once more. "What are you doing, sister?"

And truly, she could have asked herself the same thing.
I'll do better
58 Posts
Ooc —
The whisper of another distracted Tunerk enough for the frustration she experienced to be forgotten. Standing at attention, Tunerk was young enough for fear to be a stranger to her and curiosity to be one of her dearest friends. Though the other was compelled to stay away, Tunerk felt no such thing. Without an ounce of wariness, the cub darted toward the woman with a waving tail. 

I want, Tunerk responded, What that? She asked, her gaze moving to the sky. At two months old, she wanted to know everything—she did not yet know the name for stars. Her attention shifted again to the adult, and her head tilted. What you? She asked next without missing a beat; even with the words she knew, she had yet to learn how to use them entirely.

souls Wrote:By eight weeks, pups should have a vocabulary of 200-300 words. Almost 2/3s of what pups say is intelligible; pups begin to combine words together to form short sentences. Rhythm and fluency as well as volume control are poor at this stage. Puppies particularly delight in pointing out objects for their parents to name; they soon learn that some words “are not names but actions (verbs) that describe how named objects and persons affect each other.”
Trying to play that out!!! EK I am BAD.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
So sorry for the wait! Also, I feel you there. Pups are the hardest and mine always end up a thousand times more verbose than they are supposed to be haha!

Her sister ambled forward, fearless, and while Nanook didn't help to bridge the distance, she didn't move away. She simply let the child come, despite the weight of her reservation, reflected in a final glance toward the den.

But the child was quick to steal her attention. Her words were as bold as the steps she'd taken to meet her, and Nanook's mouth curled in the slightest smile. "Those are stars," Nanook said with a tip of her nose to the sky, assuming she meant the lights. "We can't have them. They are too high for us." And even the ones that fell never fell in reach.

"I am Nanook," she dropped her gaze to fix on the girl, keenly aware of the stark difference between them both. Without knowing her sire, they could have passed as strangers. Tunerk already showed the tenacity of a Northerner, and her solid, snowy build reflected her heritage more than Nanook's ever would. She had never felt more ill-fitting than here amongst the Inuits. Her Southern blood cut through the angles of her small and limber build, and her coat merged more with the rocks than with the icefields and frost. But blood was blood, and the line of the Apaata's ran deep in them both. "I am your older sister. What is your name?"
I'll do better