Swiftcurrent Creek in too deep
28 Posts
Ooc —
Joining 
The scent of something dead drifted from afar, mingling with the fragrant notes of an abundantly floral spring, and lured her through the valley. She moved like a sleepy little bear — and as a bear, sure, she'd be considered pretty small; but Juria was a heavy-weight, made to look even thicker because of her dense brown coat.

She moved across a meadow for a few hours, hunting for something to eat, when she came across that scent and veered after it — but by the time she pinpointed its origin, she'd crossed through a thicket or two of mixed birch stands. The ground became rocky, with immense boulders scattering towards a descending route that tasted crisp; in her experience Juria knew that meant water, but it wasn't the only scent she found. The woman was an experienced tracker and could discern the musk of wolf scattered about the place. Whatever food she'd thought she'd found, it wasn't like an open buffet.

The woman doubled back in haste, pulling her hefty self up the incline and away from the river, crossing back to the neutral ground with a few heavy huffs. The last thing she wanted to do was piss off a pack of wolves.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
The herd of deer he often tracked through the territory was nowhere to be seen today. In fact, he had seen less of them lately, and he was almost certain it was due to their recent hunting mishap. There was nothing to be done about it now other than to teach the girl how to hunt and track properly, and he made a promise to seek her out soon and discuss it with her.

So, Kavik stalked along the borders instead, gladly settling into his most familiar routine of patrolling. The children were getting older and more adventurous, and so he became even more vigilant in his mission to keep them safely within the borders. An unfamiliar scent made him freeze for a few seconds; it was too close to the borders, so he quickly began moving towards the direction of the scent. An earthen female came into view before too long, and he trotted even faster to catch up with her. The alpha stared expectantly at the woman, wondering why she lingered so close to their borders. What brings you so close to my borders? he asked, his expression stern but not hostile. He would at least give her chance to explain. It was possible she needed help or a place to stay, and he didn't want to chase her off if those were her intentions.
I'm no good without you
28 Posts
Ooc —
It was good she got out of the way so swiftly, or she'd have been in for a world of hurt. Soon the shape of a large wolf appears, sweeping towards her almost as an afterthought; they exude confidence as they prowl, panther-like, towards her. As the stranger increased their speed Juria made sure to cut her own, and spun around to face them in case they meant her ill. Thankfully, they didn't. This was probably a scout from the pack she had come across, she thought; but then reconsidered, factoring in the way they carried themselves and the shrewd way they looked at her.

Totally by accident, I promise, she explained without missing a beat - honest to a fault. I thought I was tracking the location of a carcass. If there is one, I guess it belongs to you. Which was just her luck. Instead of spending time tracking down something half-eaten that belonged to a collective of wolves, she should've been focused on hunting something for herself. However, Juria had grown tired of the insubstantial meals she'd managed lately; she was a large creature, and didn't like to go hungry. You don't happen to be in need of another body, do you?
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik relaxed a little when she explained that her presence here was only by accident. Hunger was a strong driver, and it seemed hers had pushed her too close to claimed territory. The life of a lone wolf was difficult, and so he was willing to grant her an exception, although it helped that she hadn't actually crossed the borders and of course that he was naturally a fair, patient man. His eyebrows raised some when she asked if they were in need of wolves, and he offered a quick nod. A pack is always in need of able wolves, he said first. If you are able to help us hunt and keep the borders safe from strangers, then you are welcome to join us here, he continued. He realized then that he hadn't introduced himself yet, and he dipped his head towards the woman. I am Kavik, one of the alphas here.
I'm no good without you
28 Posts
Ooc —
His openness surprised her immensely, and it played across her face as her brows raised and eyes gleamed. I could do both, she offered breathily, her voice cracking just a smidge. Juria cleared her throat and let a smile drift across her features as she clarified: I'd happily hunt for you and your kin, and I can put myself to use as a guardian too - it would be a fine trade if I could stay here. Her tail wagged at her hocks a few times, pleased and eager as she was. My name is Juria — it is a pleasure to meet someone so kind, I admit I did not anticipate someone so willing to avail themselves to an outsider. But she was increasingly glad that this had been her first stop.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik nodded, glad to hear she was willing to help out. He supposed some would be more suspicious of strangers, but he was always willing to offer a safe place to those who needed it. His trust wasn't given so freely, though, and although he offered her a place in the pack, she would still need to prove herself loyal and valuable. There were young mouths to feed and protect, and he would know soon enough whether or not she could live up to her promise. It is nice to meet you, as well, he offered. I am sorry that you seem to have encountered so many who are not kind, the alpha said next. I try to give most a chance to prove themselves before I make any decisions on their character, and I am always happy to help someone in need provided they can return the kindness eventually. He wanted to make it clear, if it wasn't already, that his generosity, although given genuinely, was not free; packs only thrived if every member contributed as many resources as they drained.
I'm no good without you
28 Posts
Ooc —
Her tail-tip twitched behind her, and the more she listened to the commanding voice of the man, the more the pendulum of her tail swayed. Her smile didn't leave her; she nodded to his words and as he made his decision she felt immensely grateful.

Well, thank you. I swear I will do everything in my power to make myself valuable, which was an easy thing for her to promise; Juria was a creature of her word. If it is alright - I'd like to get the lay of the land, and then I'll get straight to work. All she wanted out of life was a stable job, a purpose, and soon she would have that stability again.

If given the go-ahead to disperse, she would slip away from him to tour the territory.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
She seemed more than willing to help out, which was all he really cared about; they could use all the extra help they could get right now. Kavik nodded both in thanks and in acceptance of her request. You're welcome to look around, the alpha replied, taking a step back to allow their newest packmate over the borders. My mate, the other alpha, is Alessia, Kavik continued, Don't hesitate to seek us out if you need anything. He turned to leave then, stopping to look over his shoulder. Welcome to Swiftcurrent Creek, Juria, he offered before trotting away to finish his patrol, eager to get back to his family and check up on them.
I'm no good without you