Whitefish River she's a bad mama jama
Grunt
157 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
All Welcome 
@Evergreen? Any Kaisteloki pledges are welcome!

It was hard to say what exactly this was. Obviously, they'd gathered a group and settled in a location, but calling this a pack felt wrong. It was more like a troop, or a bevy; a bevy of strangers, each with the hope of not dying come winter. Dulce remained unsure of her position and purpose, feeling more like an outsider than she figured the others did. 

They'd been beside the river for a few nights so there was no doubt that their scents had begun to rub off. Instinct told Dulce to define a border between out there and in here, whatever here was. The sun had set only some minutes ago, leaving the sky covered in variegated shades of purple and blue. She sat for a moment, debating if this was really how she wanted to spend the start of the night, before standing and moving to find a good starting point.
spanish english
hover for translations!
I'M JUST A BELIEVER THAT THINGS WILL GET BETTER
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
STORMS IN! Sorry for the delay ❤ Is it okay to date this after he came back & the pack meeting? (June 2nd-ish]

Nightfall, the sound of insects chirping alongside the riverbed and the even breathing of fellow packmates almost lulls the bear into peaceful slumber. It has been awhile since he felt at ease, content with how life is going just for a moment. Kaistleoki breathes new purpose within him, and he prays the seed he has planted blossoms.

Without the individuals that gathered around him, however, he would not have made the progress he has.

Dozing off, Eve is awoken by the sound of approaching footfalls. At first, he tenses. Relaxation comes a beat later when he recognizes Dulce. Round ears cup forward, and the bearish wolf lifts his head. Dulce? He greets sleepily. What's up?
Working on wrapping up current threads!
Grunt
157 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
Dulce wouldn't have been in the territory around then. How's about the 5th?

Both the embarassment and shock were clear in Dulce's expression. She hadn't known that Evergreen was nearby, nor that he was sleeping, lest she might have moved more carefully. Well, at least she had his attention. I, uhm, helping the border. The concept of patrolling was something foreign and new, but exciting nonetheless. 

There weren't any non-awkward directions to take the conversation, so Dulce resorted to, Wanna come? If he did, then it meant one-on-one time with the big guy. If he didn't, Dulce would have to resort to mindlessly urinating throughout the territory in the name of guard duty.
spanish english
hover for translations!
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Works for me <3

Head fog consumes him. It takes a moment to really register her responses, so Evergreen is pretty much staring at her sleepily. His mismatched green eyes blink in concern, bewildered by Dulce's startled expression.

Oh, he supplies after a long silence. Right. Borders. He does that a lot. It warms his heart that Dulce is willing to help with them, too.

Fortunately, Dulce extends an invitation, and that kicks his brain into gear. Eve gets to his feet. Uh, yeah, I'd love to. With that, the sleepy bear let's Dulce set the pace. He's good with wandering after, and trying to wake up some.

How are you—he yawns midway through—Sorry, uh... how are you settling in?
Grunt
157 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
It was funny (and unsettling, but mostly funny) to see Evergreen so out of it. Not wanting to offend him, she managed to stifle a few good laughs, choosing instead to simply look away. Sleep was something that everyone did, but imagining this giant of a wolf cuddled up with his own tail? Well, Dulce found it to be prime entertainment. 

The way that Evergreen shadowed over Dulce made her admittedly uncomfortable, though she made an effort not to show it. It’s nice, she replied; most of her time had been spent elsewhere, but what she’d experienced within the territory was pretty decent. Are you enjoying the lead? For her, leading seemed like something she’d never have to worry about (and thankfully so).
spanish english
hover for translations!
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Unaware of Dulce’s amusement, Evergreen carries on. Trying to wake up some, yet seemingly failing. At this rate, it would be of no surprise if he trips over his own, large paws. It takes him a bit to wake up on days he feels really sleep. This just happens to be one of them.

“Yeah?” He says, grinning—a bit dopey-like. It pleases him to hear, although part of him wishes Dulce would… expand. The bear pauses for a moment to mark a tree. “Uh,” round ears twitch. “I guess? It’s… weird still, if I’m honest. Never thought I’d be a leader.”

Is that bad to admit to a group member you don’t know well? Possibly. Eve quickly adds on; “But it is nice. I like the group.”
Grunt
157 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
It made sense that Evergreen had his doubts, no matter how small or insignificant. He was heading a decent sized group and from what it sounded like, this was only his first time. Dulce listened patiently, noticing his sweet smile and picking up on his rushed add-on, though she chose not to acknowledge it directly. There’s plenty of good leaders who never planned it. Stuff happens, yeah? 

Most of the wolves were still strangers to Dulce. Eventually, she’d make more of an effort to meet them. You picked a good spot, she said, giving Evergreen a nod of respect, No packs are nearby, really. Means there’s not competition. The Blackfeather wolves were the closest that she’d could think of, but even they had their own known claim. Being alone was probably for the best, especially with such an inexperienced leader.
spanish english
hover for translations!
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
He’s taken off-guard, not expecting the reassurance that Dulce gives and immediately, Evergreen relaxes with an appreciative grin. “Yeah, that’s true.” Stuff does happen, stuff did happen. The pack making was not an impulse, or out of the blue for Eve really. “I hope I can be one of those.” He’ll do his best, and he’ll be sure to learn from whatever situations come his way.

“Oh, thanks.” If he’s honest, it has less to do with packs being around, and more to do with how he basically fell in love with Whitefish River the moment he set his eyes on it. Admittedly, it is a bonus though. Rising Sun Valley feels packed to the brim with many packs. He’s almost surprised there hasn’t been war over food yet.

“You’ve done some scouting then,” he amuses, “do you know how far the closest packs are?” Eve still has to make diplomatic visits, but if it’s true there really are none in the surrounding area, perhaps that can be postponed.
Grunt
157 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
Just before answering Evergreen’s question, Dulce froze, ears spinning in search of the source of an odd screech. There were a lot of strange noises in the Wilds; she wondered if she might ever get used to them. Sure, she finally replied, now back up to pace, Before coming here, some while. Being more open about her whereabouts was something that would take some getting used to. 

I know one, Dulce continued as her mental map began to materialize, Al sur, Esouth from here. They call themselves the Forest. What little she did or didn’t know about them seemed irrelevant; another trip would undoubtedly be made, and likely soon. 

Dulce thought for a moment about what other packs she’d come across, wondering if any were worth mentioning. An, eh, a sanctuary is over the mountains. Very kind. She contemplated asking if Evergreen was interested in travel but decided against it. Do you scout?
spanish english
hover for translations!
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
The Forest, and a sanctuary over the mountains... Evergreen makes a mental note to maybe check them both out, if only to extend a peaceful greeting to get started on the right side of things. He gives a curious hum; grateful for the information Dulce is willing to share with him.

Uh, a bit, not much of a scout, but I wanted to... know the land before I settled anywhere. Valette asked him if he wanted to become a scout, and maybe he could, if he wanted to... but traveling around just isn't his thing. He likes knowing what he's getting into.

Over the mountains there is this huge valley, he begins, and continues to stroll along the edge of Kaistleoki's territory. There are many packs there, about four last I know. My sister and I joined one called Easthollow. Despite being so close to others, it didn't seem to be an issue for them. That didn't stop crimes from happening though, and part of why Eve dislikes how overpopulated Rising Sun Valley is.
Grunt
157 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
It wasn't until having this conversation that Dulce realized how little she knew about Evergreen. For instance, she'd assumed that he'd always been a loner, too; it'd never crossed her mind that he'd had a pack before Kaistleoki.

Your sister? she asked, brows cocked with intrigue. She wondered where said sister might be now, and if she also planned to join their gang. I know a pack in the valley, Dulce continued with a smile as she remembered the kind alabaster child she'd met at their border, Maybe it's the same. Easthollow.

So, you're not a scout. What are you? Evergreen's size hinted at some potential as a mercenary, though she doubted that his disposition would allow it. He was too intimidating to succeed as a counselor, and she'd never seen him collect herbs, as would a caregiver; Dulce's curiousity was suddenly at its peak.
spanish english
hover for translations!
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
He regrets mentioning Thistle, and feels guilty he does. It's still a raw wound—speaking of her brings forth a flash of teeth before his vision is robbed forever on his right side, and a twisted, mangled body. Alas, despite the momentary freeze, he gives her a nod. Nostalgia and sorrow mixing together to form a strange cloud over Evergreen's head.

Yeah, he pauses, Her name was Thistle. She passed away recently, part of why I decided to leave and wander out here. It was... sort of our dream to find a place to call home together. Evergreen finally did, with Kaistleoki, yet it feels weird that it isn't fulfilled with his tiny, spitfire sister at his side—threatening to bite his ankles and being a playful goof.

Could be! Easthollow has good people, just didn't fit in there. At least he made a lasting connection with one of Easthollow's residents. Ira is an excellent friend. And uh, I'm... a fisher, and a guardian. Even if he is soft, he would risk his life to protect every single one of Kaistleoki.
Grunt
157 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
A somewhat uncomfortable silence settled between the two of them as they continued on with their patrol. Had Dulce known, she wouldn't have said anything; now that she had, she knew better than to do it again. It goes without saying that she was grateful for Evergreen's change of subject. I know that, she replied with a sly grin, I don't fit in places either. There weren't a lot of wolves like her; content to live life on their own, without the mostly unwanted company of others. It was the smaller part of why she'd been alone for so long.

Hunting was the one trade that Dulce hadn't thought of, so of course it was one of the ones that Evergreen chose to claim. She gave a silent curse (and did the wolf version of the "Darnit!" snap) in her head, replying, I could have guessed guardian, but not fisher. You're so big, don't you scare the fish? It was difficult to imagine him gracefully diving into a pool of salmon without each one of them zipping away.
spanish english
hover for translations!
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
You fit in here. Cliche? Most definitely. Dumb? Maybe. But Evergreen means it genuinely. They're basically a ragtag team of misfits. That's probably their whole appeal, just trying to find a place to belong and be a part of. Eve moves to gently bump his shoulder to Dulce's.

Briefly, he laughs, amused at Dulce's comment regarding fish because it is true. At first, fishing was so difficult. Oki taught him how though, and he grew to love it. It's something he'll always hang onto.

At first, yeah, but if I'm still and patient enough, it usually works out. Rapids help, too. That way he can just grab them as they fall off miniature waterfalls much like an actual bear does.
Grunt
157 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
The sudden bump of Evergreen's shoulder gave Dulce a sudden rush of warmth. It was one of the few times that she felt a real sense of comaraderie but expected that it wouldn't be the last. I've never been good at fishing, she admitted, finding the premise to be entirely intimidating. Water wasn't meant to be a wolf's terrain; who was she to question that boundary? Maybe you can teach me. I'll teach you how to better scout. Fair exchange, right?

There was a slight gap in the border's trail that gave some alarm. Dulce slowed and stepped off the side to stop and fill it. I want to be better at this, too. Admittedly, she wasn't the best fighter in the Wilds, but something told her that she might need to be, and soon.
spanish english
hover for translations!
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Though the touch is brief, Eve is glad Dulce does not shy away—maybe a bit of a test to see if she was alright with him showing affection more often. He likes to with wolves he cares about.

“Yeah! That sounds like fun.” Mostly the fishing part. He’s giddy about the idea of helping teach another his skills, and the possibility of gaining some more friends to chill and fish with. It does not seem to be a very popular sport. Overall it’s an excellent deal, he’ll get experience in a trade he’s not great at, teach someone to fish, and get to know Dulce better.

Fortunately she’s paying better attention than he is with marking the borders. There is a gap he hadn’t noticed until she started covering it. At first, he’s taken by surprise and thinks she means… peeing, but that doesn’t, uh, make much sense. “Maybe we could spar, too?”
Grunt
157 Posts
Ooc — Tweety Bird
Wrap up?

Actually, she did mean peeing. In Dulce’s mind, the concept of border maintenance was very complicated; whose scent took priority? Was it okay to go over the scent of a higher rank? How often did one need to pee? How often did said pee last? There were a lot of questions that Evergreen seemed to know the answers to. I’d like that, she replied, thinking that sparring with a beast such as this might prove to be both beneficial and fun. 

Tell me more about yourself, Dulce coaxed, hoping that there was more to be learned, I like to hear stories.
spanish english
hover for translations!
i don't wanna let it go
566 Posts
Ooc — mista
Yess! :D Thank you for the thread

Oh, well, peeing is important business, too.

Eve probably would know the answers to those questions, but alas, thankfully Dulce is merciful with his confusion and agrees to the spar as well. It’s something he’s been wanting to do, and tinier opponents are challenging once they learn his weak spots.

Continuing their border patrol, Eve follows her prompting with a grin. He tells her stories of his childhood, because it’s the first thing that comes to mind. Family man, and all. Most of them involved the trouble Thistle and he got up to as youngsters and how she called him “Lump”.

It was funny whenever someone got confused about that.