Ocean's Breath Plateau it can be done just not the way you want it
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
AW any tags are mainly for reference.

He had left @Valentine to his own devices for the morning. While his company was appreciated, Rokig still had some more scouting to do around the plateau. He had found a moderately safe path that led him to the base of the plateau. The rocky slopes would do well to protect them from unwanted visitors but he supposed they might also keep away those interested in reaching the top. He huffed softly at the thought. Valentine, as leggy and lithe as he was, had made the climb. Perhaps he would use him as a gauge for things.

Was that the smartest thing? He didn't really know but his options were limited for now.

His eyes squinted as he looked up to the top of the plateau. Briefly he wondered if he'd be greeted with the sight of someone hanging over him, much like he had greeted his new companion. But no one was there (not that he could see) so he returned his gaze to the area around him.
39 Posts
Ooc — Killi
having made his home towards the top of the plateau, vegas had a fairly good vantage point. as he did not claim any territory here, other than his den, there was little need to do any scouting; however, he did check the slopes out of sheer curiosity. today found him doing just so, pacing the peak of the plateau, blue eyes partially watching the ocean as he so liked to do, and partially seeking the potential of visitors.

as it would happen, his roving gaze lit upon the smoke-furred figure of a lean male scaling the slopes of the plateau. it was not his wish to appear threatening or territorial, so vegas merely slid onto his belly and watched, ears erect, fluffy white tail thumping the rocky earth behind him in a friendly manner. a soft chuff escaped his lips, and inviting greeting to his unforseen visitor.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
Rokig hadn't realized someone else had settled on the plateau and had he known, he would have attempt to seek them out sooner. Yet here they were. His eyes briefly squinted as he attempted to make out the pale figure not far from him. His gaze softened as he noticed their crouched position and the friendly thump of their tail.

Hey. He called out in a neutral tone. How long have you been here? It seemed harmless enough to ask but perhaps it would clue him in if he was about to butt heads with someone over this land. Hopefully it wouldn't come to that.
39 Posts
Ooc — Killi
there was always an instinctual fear of others, and it riddled him from between his shoulders to the base of his spine. as soon as the friendly greeting reached his ears, however, vegas felt his muscles loosen their tension. the greeting was neither aggressive nor submissive and it put the white wolf at ease. 

he rose to his feet and canted his head in an inviting manner, coupled with a small shrug of his lean shoulders. Just a few weeks, he looked behind him, as if to momentarily inspect the place he had chosen to settle. Seemed like an alright place to stay for now. vegas took a few steps back, allowing the grey-furred male to scale the last few yards with as much ease as possible.

What's your name? I'm Vegas.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
He felt a bit dumbstruck by the stranger's response. He merely blinked a few times as if that might fix his inward feelings. Something would need to be figured out and although he had a few ideas, he needed to know what this wolf was like first. Yeah, the place is pretty nice. He commented softly. His tone most likely didn't convey it well but he truly did like the plateau.

Rokig. He replied as he approached the stranger so as to not have to holler back and forth. No need to draw attention to themselves. So Vegas... His voice trailed off for a few moments as he figured out how to word this without being an ass. You got some sort of plan here?
39 Posts
Ooc — Killi
the several blinks of the man's steel eyes were not lost on vegas. truth be told, the white wolf felt a bit self-conscious for his own sheer lack of purpose and intention. he allowed the approach of the other gladly, settling himself upon his lean haunches so they might have a proper conversation. it is, he agreed with another slight nod.

the question that came next confirmed the somewhat dumbfounded reaction that Rokig had officially displayed. did he have a plan? of course it was possible to lie and say that he did, that he intended to live out his days here on the coast, in his unstable, makeshift den carved haphazardly into the flank of the cliffs.

but vegas was not one to spin tales and so he answered in his customary bluntness. N-no, not really. I settled here... temporarily. I guess. he ended with an awkward chuckle, blue eyes darting in uncertainty.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
He could be wrong (and it was not an uncommon occurrence for him to be) but the darting of Vegas' blue eyes seemed to reveal a lack of confidence. Or anxiety. Or maybe the dude was just weird. Rokig could list all the possibilities but he wouldn't. There were more important things to be discussed for now.

Why not stay? He asked as his silver gaze moved from the ocean view over to Vegas' face. I want to set up something here but it'd be rude to just kick you out if you like the plateau so much. It would be a touch more complicated than that but he was setting out some bait to see how the pale man would react. Perhaps he could gain another companion for Valentine and him.
39 Posts
Ooc — Killi
vegas' awareness of his awkward and arguably weird nature was very stark and it ate at him late some nights. interactions with others were, as kind as he tried to be, almost always difficult. 

nevertheless the man's words took him by surprise. there was no why and no get out of my land as vegas' inherent anxiety told him would be the case. instead, Rokig asked a simple, why not stay?

this odd turn of the conversation caught the snowy man so off guard that he found himself blinking his own blue eyes, his mind searching for hidden intentions. once again, however, he chose to answer with honesty. I'd like to stay. I like it here... he let his words trail off to be picked up again by whatever the smoke-furred man had to offer. not only that, but Rokig acknowledge the rudenesss of kicking him out of a territory that vegas technically held no official claim to. 

with a tilt of his head, vegas waited.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
Then stay. He replied with ease and coolness. I want to eventually lead something here but...if you're okay with that then there's a place for you on the plateau for as long as you'd like. A brow raised softly with curiosity as he waited for Vegas' thoughts on the offer. Another body to the group wouldn't hurt. Although they might need to work on the male's confidence some. Not that Rokig was the perfect image of confidence and pride but he still found himself entitled to the thought.
39 Posts
Ooc — Killi
the response was simple, and it held no obvious request for vegas to offer anything in return. he felt his jaw drop slightly, then close again. his tail began to sway behind him. Are you... sure? he asked to be safe, to ensure that this was real, although he knew that Rokig would not have made such a statement unless he meant it. 

It really is a beautiful place. I have a small den not far from here, he spoke by way of general conversation. 

If you intend to lead a group here, I can pledge myself. I will assist in any way that I can. 
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
Positive. He hummed in response. Rokig could not be terribly picky and in his eyes, currently anyone who wasn't hostile was welcomed on the plateau — as long as they understood his position on leading. Vegas didn't appear (to him) to have any issue with the leadership and lacked hostility.

A brow raised as he looked over to his new companion. A den on the edge of the plateau? I take it you truly like the view. It may not have been the safest option for a den but Vegas had said he had been here for some time now and nothing ill had happened to Rokig's knowledge. At least not ill enough to prevent them ever crossing paths.

I'd appreciate that, Vegas. What kind of things do you enjoy doing? Good at?
39 Posts
Ooc — Killi
vegas was not one to question authority, and certainly not to challenge it. it was not, and never had been, his place to do so. in his pack of origin he was ranked below his strongest brother and never intended to take over any form of leadership. he did what he was told, and unless his morals got in the way, he was happy to do so.

Rokig seemed slightly confused by his choice of den location and Vegas hastened to explain. It was an old animal den. Sturdier than one might expect. It has served me well, so far at least. and the view... as you can imagine, it's beautiful. he said with a small smile.

when asked what he "liked to do", he took it as a requested assessment of his skills. luckily, this happened to be something that he was aware of in himself. I am a good scout. A decent hunter, he explained. Good at finding prey, chasing them down. Needless to say, his physical build did not lend itself to bringing down large game, but that, he mused, could be assumed easily enough. Rokig, in the few moments vegas had known him, did not appear to be stupid.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
I see. It was an interesting set up but he wasn't going to judge. I have someone else with me but if you ever wish to move more inland on the Plateau, you're welcome to join us. The two males he had recruited would need to meet soon anyway. Not to say he expected them all to dog-pile and sleep together though. That was a bit too much for him.

A scout will be very useful. They would need one if they ever became a true pack. A messenger to reach out and make connections with any neighbors. Hunting is important too of course. I think there's a couple of warrens in the tall grass.
39 Posts
Ooc — Killi
vegas was comfortable in his hollowed out den but he knew that it was not sustainable, and at any point could become dangerous. he also knew that there were packs around. upon first departing his home pack, a part of him needed time alone, time to think and to gather himself. but traveling with a pair - as Rokig had indicated - did not seem like a bad option. it would save him the nuisance of presenting himself to an entire pack, whilst giving him the security of fellow travelers.

I have no problem moving inland, he responded after a few seconds thought. I can scout for potential followers and keep track of the warrens. Rabbit has been my main source of food lately. There are enough to go around, he spoke with a soft snicker.

I would be happy to follow you and your companion. It would be bittersweet to leave his den, but as he'd only slept there a few weeks, his heart was not set upon it. There were more important things with which he could occupy his time. 

and it was time to move on.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
we can fade out (and have a follow up?) or continue, up to you!

You won't have to follow far. He clarified with a raised brow. Rokig didn't want to move from the Plateau he just...didn't want to sleep on the rocky edges of it. I just prefer to stay up top mainly, away from the edge. Although he often wondered how good of an idea living on a plateau really was. Perhaps he could test Vegas' scouting skills, send him to explore the neighboring territories. Now there was an idea.

He briefly shook his coat before he motioned with his head for Vegas to follow. I can show you where we've set up in case you need anything. Assuming you still wish to reside in your own den a bit longer.