Emberwood Tomorrow, I'll keep a beat and repeat yesterday's dance
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Private 

He patrolled the borders, the place he spent most of his time these days. Usually he was lost in a spiral of self hate and regret, and today was no different. Their numbers dwindled, and he worried about the future of the pack. He worried most about Grezig having a safe place to have their children if she was pregnant. Without a pack, things would be too dangerous and stressful, and he worried about her and the future of their possible pups. On top of that he worried, as usual, about his missing children and whether or not they were doing okay.

Patrolling helped him remain standing under the weight of his heavy thoughts, giving him a task and a purpose to shine a light into his darkness. He just focused on the sound of his heavy breathing, the feel of the snow against the pads of his feet, and the scents of the remaining pack members scattered along the borders. He took comfort in the fact that nothing seemed out of place today and tried to let that soothe his mind.
I'm no good without you
564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
Grezig hadn’t seen much of Kavik since their mating, but she hadn’t seen much of anyone, really. She’d avoided others, preparing herself for her inevitable pregnancy. And now she was just beginning to feel it: she was dizzy upon standing, and was craving certain types of food, certain prey animals. 

She wandered today, along the borders of the pack. The pack that was quickly losing numbers. This had begun to worry her. Would there be enough members for her to safely deliver her pups by the time she was ready to give birth? What if they had to move? To leave? It would be better to do that early.

She saw Kavik along the path ahead of her and chuffed. Approaching him, she said without hesitation, “I am pregnant. Our mating was successful.”
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He had been inspecting the scent on a tree that hugged the borders, so her scent filled his nose moments before her chuff sounded from behind. He turned as she spoke, her news causing excitement and incredible fear to course through him in equal measures. He was beyond happy at the prospect of being a father again, but he was terrified of letting them down like he had the rest of his family. But more pressing was the viability of their pack. He knew this feeling well, and he was almost certain the pack would not be able to support their litter come spring. He kept his fears from his expression, though, not wanting to worry her. Instead, he met her with pleasant surprise. I can't wait to meet them, he said first. Being a father was his favorite thing, after all, even with all the heartache he had suffered because of it. His expression faltered some, though. I don't want to stress you unnecessarily, but I'm unsure if this pack will be stable enough for children in the spring. She needed to be aware of the tough choices that were most likely in their future.
I'm no good without you
564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
Her eyes softened at his first words. “I am excited to meet them, as well,” she admitted, a rare show of emotion from her. “And to finally have my children be a father that I wholly approve of. I admit my last mating was… spur of the moment, and he vanished soon afterwards.” She looked down; she did not regret the children she had birthed through Vaati, but she did regret her choice of father. Still, that was nothing to think of now.

’I don't want to stress you unnecessarily, but I'm unsure if this pack will be stable enough for children in the spring.’

“Mm,” she sounded in reply, looking up from her paws and back into his eyes. “Yes, I am aware that our numbers are dwindling.” She looked around, as if expecting one of the members of UG to suddenly appear through the trees. “I have been thinking we should move on from here. It pains me to act in any way disloyal to a pack that I am a part of, but… our children take precedence, yes? They need to grow up in a pack large enough to sustain them.” She sighed, trying not to imagine the look on innocent Ibis’ face when she found out that they were leaving. “Do you have another pack in mind?”
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He hated to imagine Grezig pregnant and alone, and he wondered what might have stolen the father away from his children before they were even born? There were few reasons he could think of that would pull him from his own, especially now that he knew how it felt to lose them. Well, I have no intention of leaving, he promised, hoping she could rest easy knowing he wouldn't just vanish. 

It seemed that she was also aware of the troubles facing the pack, which was not surprising. He had once chosen her as his beta, and it was for good reason. Leaving goes against my morals as well, but yes, the children are my number one concern, he assured her. There are a few nearby that might be an option, and we wouldn't have to travel too much. I'm afraid I don't know the status of their numbers, though. And I don't think I know any of their members. A shame since he was the leader of this pack. But this wasn't his pack, and it wasn't exactly like he had been prepared to take over the Alpha position. He had just stepped up in the pack's time of need and was still trying to get his bearings. If we leave, we should do so soon. The longer they waited, the more dangerous it was for her and the less time they had to find somewhere safe. Do you have any allies in any of the neighboring packs?
I'm no good without you