Bearclaw Valley Tomorrow
62 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
All Welcome 

Twilight shrouded Bearclaw Valley in darkness. Only the faint strokes of orange and pink hugged the horizon -- barely visible beyond the peaks of Bearclaw Valley. She had slept most of the day, waiting for the night so she may better hunt. Her slender muzzle picked at scent on the ground. Mostly prey, but also scents of wolves... a few she new, but most she did not. Her focus drifted from the pursuit of dinner. Why had others been drawn to Ursus? What was their motivation? How many thrived here? Had they all been invited by Merrick? Galena thought of the black woman, briefly, and blinked... turning south to follow the trail of small game.

hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
Ico was as stark in the shadows as the other was hidden. But he spotted her sooner that he might've otherwise, because he was on the lookout for a dark wolf. Just not this dark wolf.

Still, she was heading his way, probably tracking the rabbit he'd let elude him an hour ago. It would be remiss of him not to bid her good evening. Good evening. Just like that. You were at the meeting a few weeks back, weren't you. My name's Ico.
62 Posts
Ooc — Lieu

Her hunt was interrupted, but Galena didn't mind. The trail meandered in a way which usually meant the prey had long gone, by now. Her company was like a bright star in the darkening sky — a small thing, almost fox-like. Galena perked up, interested to meet members of the pack, especially the women... but she was surprised to discover that it was male. Before she could decide what to make of this androgynous thing, he introduced himself in a most pleasant manner. "Galena," she responded, a bit slowly... hesitating as the wheels in her mind turned. "It's nice to meet you Ico. Yes, that was me. What do you think of pups in the pack? She should be due very soon." She... Galena realized she didn't even know the dark woman's name. "Do you know what the call her? Merrick's mate, I mean."

hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
Ico was pleased this didn't transpire to be a fleeting introduction in passing, but was already very slightly intimidated by Galena's quietly confident presence. As with all things, though, such feelings led quickly to curiosity about who she really was and how she'd got here.

But first — puppies. At this topic, the pale lad could not help but smile. Her name's Astara, but I know nothing else about her, he admitted. As with most wolves in Ursus, Ico was very intrigued by their mute Queen. I think it'll be wonderful to have pups around. They'll add an extra dynamic to the pack... but will probably make everyone extra protective, he added contemplatively. We'll have to be even more vigilant on the borders.
62 Posts
Ooc — Lieu

"Astara," Galena parroted, her voice drawling into a croon. The name was nice on the tongue and sounded mystical — perfect for the woman's chaotic dark coat and otherworldly violet eyes. Galena's gaze passed over Ico once more, thinking of the one-eyed Merrick and the unhinged Taylor. This one didn't seem to be Ursus' usual fare. How did such a soft looking creamsicle boy wander into the likes of this pack? So far, the vibes at the meeting had been wonderfully pleasant... and this didn't sit well with Galena. There was something she didn't know.

A silver ear flicked in thought. "Children can be such a blessing," she agreed, not knowing the true danger to which they would enter the world... offspring to wolves with a taste for violence, "and must be protected." Galena was no stranger to raising children, as she had been an older sister to too many to count. It was natural to proetct the pack. "At least we have the advantage of only one way into the valley. I have never seen a territory quite like this one. What else do you know of Merrick and Ursus? Seems to me like you've been with them a while." Galena took a seat, thirsty for knowledge.

hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
Near-strangers though they were, Galena and Ico agreed that the innocence and promise of children must be defended — and the laws of Ursus would likely become more stringent as a result. Even little Ico could see the tactical advantages of there being only one easy entrance to the valley. They were living in a veritable fortress.

As Galena sat down, the boy followed suit, the tip of his tail flicking gently at his haunches with a slightly nervous energy.

I've been living here from the beginning of Spring, he replied to the question of logevity. It was strange to think this had originally been such a temporary arrangement — but he'd already been here almost a full season. The pack was still in its infancy when I joined. I do have one or two stories of Merrick... he promised, though he would be careful not to gossip or embellish. For a start, I know Merrick has a very strong connection to Bearclaw Valley. He was born here. But he's been through so much since then, despite his young age — he lost a mother, a home, an eye... I don't know what he was like before, but it's enough to change anyone. It didn't change his love for this place, though, Ico glanced up at the high valley walls beyond the trees. He returned to claim his birthplace, this time with an understanding not just of the valley itself, but of the bears that live here. Hence, Ursus. Latin for bear
62 Posts
Ooc — Lieu

Galena listened to the yearling's tales and digested the information carefully, nodding quietly to relay that she was following along. Ico painted Merrick as a sympathetic figure. An underdog. Someone who had fought through a hard life and came out on top. Little did they knew he had performed horrific deeds, including the murder of his own mother — a would-be sin in Galena's eyes. Overall, however, description was sunny and favorable. It was clear to the woman that Ico saw his leader in a good light. 

"Thank you for sharing, Ico. You know a lot about Ursus' history." Galena's face was kind, hiding her mild dislike for the sexless boy. "Have you thought about being the pack's historian? A legacy always needs a keeper." Even Galena's homeland had a dedicated Giver, positioned to learn, remember, and pass on the stories and teachings of the many mothers before her. "Since I am new to the pack, is there anything I should absolutely know? Rituals? ...Enemies?"

hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
I know a little, Ico replied, humble but also accurate. And I — thank you, that's a good idea. Something I could work towards, he responded with a small nod, a little timid at the grown-up suggestion, but intrigued by it nonetheless. If anyone was equipped to give a full and thorough history of Ursus, it was Merrick... but Ico was learning from Merrick.

Rituals... no, not at the moment, he replied, gazing into the distance over Galena's handsome shoulders as he trawled his recent memory. There was an altar, but it had a certain secrecy about it; Ico would not speculate. As for enemies, even naive Ico could estimate that Merrick and Astara probably had a great many foes between them, such was their nature.

I can name you one wolf to be alert for. He called himself Santiago Gabriel Arcos; a huge creature, black as the witching hour, with laughter on his lips. He strolled readily into the heart of Bearclaw Valley when the pack was in still in early formation. His trespass ignited quite the bloodshed.
62 Posts
Ooc — Lieu

It would be interesting to witness Ursus' growth and the chaos that would be born. Freedom had been promised to Galena. Honesty was a tenant. How would these two mix? Chaos was sure to be a repeat visitor to the valley, though the stormy initiate could not possibly imagine to what magnitude. 

Already, Ico reported some discord. Galena's brows knitted in concentration and she clucked her tongue at the story in irritation. "Such is the way of men," she said with an exhale through the nose. "Violence and savagery. Sometimes one would think that it's all they know." It was a broad generalization... but one seldom saw a woman culpable of terrorizing others. In Galena's experience The Order had, sometimes, used men as a means to protect their mission. It was the way the rest of the world worked, unfortunately. "He was alone? No pack?" She looked to Ico, wondering if he could possibly come back with henchmen in tow. 

hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
Ico was very curious about Galena's words on the nature of masculinity, and keen to hear out her thesis — for despite being male himself, he could not help but agree. Men were more inclined than women to bare fang... though that did not discount exceptions such as Astara, who was a figurehead of both fertile femininity and harsh brutality.

But a good storyteller knows when to resist a tangent, so for now he trained his memory back to the story at hand.

He was alone, and acted like a loner too, Ico confirmed. He could not pretend he hadn't been very intrigued by the huge stranger at first. 'I'm not lost', he drawled, confirming he'd trespassed by design. 'I mean no harm, unless you do.' But we never found out what he did mean. He moved to bite me, and I called for aid. Merrick even asked him what he wanted, but no answer was forthcoming. I still have the impression that he wanted nothing more than risk, revelation and fun.

As for if Santiago Gabriel Arcos was part of a pack by now... possibly. Ico never would've thought so back then, but if there was a pack for the likes of the Ursus warriors, there was a pack for that dangerous loner
62 Posts
Ooc — Lieu

Ico's report became a tale as he embellished, speaking as the narrator in the third person. Galena found this interesting and her ears perked up in amusement. She laid down to her belly, captivated by the young wolf's storytelling. She quite liked this. It reminded her of Proctor Mother Selenite's words of wisdom. 

"What happened next?" she asked, eyes brighter now as the disdain for men's actions faded from her expression. "Did Santiago strike first?"

hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
Ico gazed into the sky thoughtfully, making eye-contact with a passing cloud as he dipped into his memory bank. Now that you mention it, that might be a matter for debate, he realised for the first time. Galena had just raised a very good question.

He certainly tried to strike first — he snapped at my tail. But I felt it was more of a threat than an intent to wound. Ico attempted to add some fairness and balance to the story; after all, as Galena said, this was history. He had to be as clear as possible. But first blood was drawn by Merrick, who went for the face — followed swiftly by Astara, who aimed to incapacitate with an attack to the leg. A tall male named Fields was also present, and threw himself into the brawl — Santiago was a hulking great thing, but outnumbered and overcome. Be that as it may, he was very much able to bring some chunks of Ursus flesh with him when at last he fled.
62 Posts
Ooc — Lieu

History often favored the winner — biased by whichever side was speaking. Galena could tell the moment of Ico's petite revelation from a minute change in his expression. Though the instigator, Santiago, was stubborn... it, truly, had been Ursus' wolves to attack first and draw blood. Could such a skirmish be solved without teeth? Galena thought so... but that wasn't the way of Ursus. Violence proved to always be their knee-jerk response. She would have to remember this.

"I see," she said with a careful tuck of her chin. "That is too bad... that our wolves had to be hurt. But I appreciate your candor, Ico. You know... in my old clan we called historians Navigators, because they led the way forward based on the past. Their unbias was paramount and they took great pride in this role. It was one of the highest ranking positions."

hey now, little mouse
158 Posts
Ooc — Willow
Our wolves are often hurt, Ico heard himself muse privately, though he was discounting himself, as he so often did. He was quick on his paws, but he was no warrior. On the contrary, he was easy prey. He understood why warriors wore their scars with pride, but Ico was more likely to find himself chomped up entirely than gleaming with valiant war wounds.

Navigators... I like that idea very much, he replied, having never before encountered the prospect of historians being held in lofty regard. Merrick had once suggested he could be something like a priest, but that was different.

What was your old clan like? Ico asked, curious and compelled, poised to absorb whatever was deemed appropriate for him to hear.

-fade out-