Noctisardor Bypass butterscotch cookies
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
All Welcome 
@Valdemar or @Jomyo, maybe?

Things were still up in the air. For so long, he'd had only one goal: find Raleska. He'd done that. But he'd also promised Arbiter that he would see through to her plan. Kaertok was curious about the new guy that was apparently another one of her choices. He hadn't been great about getting to know his other packmates, sans Jomyo. Ah, Jomyo. he would have preferred her. But she wasn't the most logical choice. She was lower on the totem pole, even if it was only the second rung. He also felt they had more of a connection than Arbiter, but Jomyo wasn't the one offering (or potentially offering).

He lingered around the bypass today with no real goal in mind. Sure, it would be interesting to meet the "competition," but it wasn't necessary. Arbiter would make her decision separate from his influence, Kaertok was sure. And so, he meandered, stopping occasionally to sniff at something.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Freshly returned to the Bypass from prowling south near the mountain range, she moseyed quietly past the territory's entrance and went deeper in without any fanfare. Jomyo had circled wide and still not come into anything majorly of note, so turned back sooner than she had initially planned--but trusted it may be a short stay back for now. The scout had not sought out the pack's younger lot yet to get a good feel for their doings, so wondered if she should put some footwork towards that in the meantime, especially if the valley wasn't offering her anything notable lately.

But first things first, she ducked her nose and thought about conjuring an appetite now that she was back on Legion turf. Before her trails could warm into anything edible, however, she found Kaertok instead. Reasoning that she could pass a little time seeing what he was up to (it had been a while), she followed through on after him with a low chuff sound to say her hello first and foremost.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
There was a small bit of Kaertok that had wished for things to go ever-so-slightly differently, but he had tried to wash any of those feelings away. He had now pledged himself to Arbiter not just as a pack-mate, but also as a future father. And while he wouldn't feel that bad backing out before the deed had been done, he knew it would likely ruin whatever loyalty he had built up with her. Still, there was a small hint of "what if" when it came to two other women in his life: Raleska and Jomyo.

The latter was the one who appeared with a small chuff of greeting, and Kaertok mustered up a smile and waved his tail in greeting. Been busy? he asked. The same question, he was sure, would be bounced back on him.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Content enough with that reception from Kaertok, she was willing to trust him enough to almost relax and perhaps be nearly friendly. Here within the Bypass, she was afforded far more comfort than anywhere else at the moment. Busy enough, she replied, lifting her shoulders halfheartedly to agree; she had kept herself occupied, not that she felt like she had much to show for it, and whatever miles she had put away. Nothing too interesting to note, though. Which, therein lie the issue, and why she was back. I just got back from skimming along south of here, closer to the mountains again, Jomyo mentioned. At least this time she had not come across wolves reeking of illness or any other bad news out there.

Still, it didn't make for an interesting report by any means. How have your travels fared lately? she asked as she eyed the larger wolf curiously, only assuming he had been on the road as well. Her paths had not crossed much with him close to the base, after all.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
It sounded as though Jomyo's luck had been about as good as Kaertok's. He'd sent one recruit back, but there was no sign of her around anymore. Sungiwok couldn't even be bothered to try and remember her name. It wasn't as though she'd been a markedly strong recruit to begin with, so perhaps it was for the best that she had disappeared rather than stuck around and weaken Legion as a whole. He thought it was better that the wolves who stayed were strong and unwavering, even if it meant fewer of them and a longer timeline.

About the same, he replied. Although, there was Raleska. For a split-second, he considered not bringing that up, but considering it was what brought him back to the Teekon Wilds to begin with, it seemed only fair to keep Jomyo updated. She was the one who had introduced him to Legion, after all. I finally found Raleska, but she seemed... less-than-pleased to see me.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Just a bit, her ears splayed outwards when he said his luck was about the same. It wasn't exactly great news for either of their efforts, but at least she knew she wasn't alone in the struggle right now. That was one marginally better way to look at it, she supposed. Still, it appeared the pickings were slim when it came to worthwhile recruits to bring back to Arbiter's cause.

Oh? she said on Raleska, a subject that she couldn't tell how touchy it was now that the reunion he probably expected wasn't to be had. Not good.. though. I'm guessing that changed things a bit..? she asked, edging towards a frown on his search's behalf. Was she at the coast still? Jomyo added, trying to dodge what could be most delicate until she had a halfway better read on the matter. The Tartok customs were not fully understood; most of what she knew boiled down to the fact that he had been pretty dedicated to finding Raleska, whoever she was precisely. To have it flop with a poor reception might sting a bit.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Normally, this was the sort of conversation Kaertok would bring to his mother. Considering she was moons away, it didn't seem practical to seek her out to unload his thoughts a feelings on. Not that he planned to do so with Jomyo, but having her here and knowing that she cared enough to ask a little more was comforting in a way. When she asked about the coast, Kaertok shook his head side-to-side.

She was inland. Not sure where she is staying permanently, but she stormed off before I could ask. I let her know where to find me if she decides that's what she wants, the Tartok wolf explained. And that was probably as much as Jomyo wanted (or needed) to hear. That whole situation was in Raleska's hands now, and Kaertok would do his best to keep himself occupied with other things unless she decided to show up here.

Did you know Arbiter is dead-set on having pups this year? he asked, wanting to get Jomyo's opinion on that, too. It would effect her life, considering she would have to pick up some of the slack where Arbiter and whoever she chose were looking after the pups.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Not sure how much he might give her about Raleska, or even how much was any of her business at all, listening on to find she had stormed off just made her ears splay out further. Not good. But, since his explanation came simply enough, and a good look at him didn't think he seemed too wounded about it (or internalizing it expertly), she just shook her head somberly and murmured Ouch, on his quest's behalf. Not at all a nice note there, so not a scab she was going to help him pick at now.

Next matter was far more present to her, and to Legion, which she received first with a slow blink. Dead-set? Not exactly to that degree but I also didn't ask. I could see the implication of it being an option she was keeping around though, with or without her prior mate's return, she mentioned, having not honestly read too deeply into it at the time. They had talked about her older offspring alongside some of the pack's yearlings and such, but Jomyo had not steered towards what else they were going to raise up in the months to come. With Legion's claim not exactly expansive yet and their standards kind of selective, she wasn't even looking in that direction right now. So you know something I don't there, she added, side-eying him keenly to see if he would share.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
He gave Jomyo a half-hearted smile on her one-word reaction. Whatever had happened between the time he left and the time he had found her had done something to Raleska. It was possible she would eventually come around, but Kaertok wasn't one to rely too heavily on those who weren't family. Arbiter might soon be that, and perhaps Jomyo, too. He did wonder how relationship dynamics would change once he revealed what he did know, but there was no use wondering for much longer.

I'm fairly certain she wants me to be the father, he said, his voice even without any hint of sheepishness or holding back. It was an honor to be chosen by the issumatar, assuming she didn't backtrack and decide she wanted the newer guy instead. She mentioned another male, but I have not met him. A new recruit. That alone made Kaertok believe she would not choose him. He hadn't the time to prove his loyalty the way Kaertok had.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Kaertok went on, and Jomyo took it in well-enough stride, though the internalized considerations could come about later--alone. For now, another tilt of her head, and she digested this piece of news. Not knowing all of Arbiter's customs of the matter, she wondered if the leader intended to take him for a new mate as well.. or if this would just be in the business of giving her the litter she wanted. Another something to look further into later, perhaps.

She toyed with the edge of a smirk, doubting most men would turn down the opportunity to perpetuate. No judgements, however. Think you will, then? I mean, I haven't met the other guy either, and there is not exactly a surplus of.. mature-enough others. And, if the pack's going to rear pups, I'd rather see it be by someone here at least, you know? she mentioned, shoulders rolled as she shifted herself a bit. Yearlings, mostly, and her (ill-equipped for what Arbiter wanted, and not at all planning to go seasonal herself hopefully).. plus some others sometimes. He was the logical best choice at a glance and in knowing him, Jomyo didn't find him offensive otherwise. If Arbiter had enough good sense not to source her swimmers from elsewhere, then this was the conclusion she would have drawn too had she been in the position herself--which, thankfully, she was not. Too much uncertainty of Legion's lasting hold, and the Teekons a land of change more often than not.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Jomyo didn't have any adverse reaction to what he'd said, and for that, he was glad. All sorts of emotions could have come out of her, but she seemed level-headed enough to take it in stride. Then again, Kaertok probably would have been just as pleased if she'd been overwhelmingly jealous. He was the cream of the crop, after all, and he thought highly of himself. That was a Tartok trait that so many of his extended family tended to have, and he had not been left out.

I think so, yes. I told her that we would have to join up with others if Legion wasn't strong enough by the time they were born. Kaertok had no qualms with this. He had been an underling more often than not. Arbiter, on the other hand, seemed much less happy about that potential outcome.

Kaertok had made it clear that he wanted to play a role in the puppies' lives, although the role he would play in Arbiter's life seemed likely to be much less ordinary. He fell silent then, shifting his weight from one side to the other so that he wouldn't block blood flow for too long.

Think I'll head out for one last trip beyond the bypass, at least for a little while. He would be gone only a day or two at most, and if there was the chance he could bring somebody back, that would be most advantageous. You want to come along, or are you here for a bit?
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
Kaertok admitted his intent then, and the fact that they had discussed an alternative if this claim here in the Bypass did not come to fruition by then--so for the moment, she chose to be impressed that they had thought it out this far, and that Legion wouldn't be carrying the weight of whelps summoned forth on a mere whim. While it wasn't ideal, it was good to have some backup, though the scout wasn't in any hurry to discredit their standing just yet, pups would put a timer on things that she had not exactly been planning to heed. Thankfully she was adaptable, and experienced enough for her years to just roll with it. That's good.. hopefully it won't need to be the case, but I'd rather be prepared, even if I doubt Arbiter was too keen for that, she mentioned, trying to imagine the headstrong leader willingly falling in line with another after so long at the top of the heap.

Though, if Legion did peter out and dissolve into another pack, would Jomyo remain with the group? Time would have to tell, along with the who and the where of course. She had grown comfortable here, and short of heading back to the homeland with little to show for it, where would she go anyway? The life she had found here suited her well enough anyway; she generally did as she pleased, within reason.

Given a moment to consider the thought he brought up next, she was decidedly on the fence. Now knowing what she did, paired with what had come before.. although the offer to range in good company was awfully tempting... I feel like I should be here for a bit. Or near at least, since I've been a lot of in and out lately. I need to check in on some of the yearlings around here.. and all, she replied, truthfully, despite the backturn of her ears that went with it. Any plans on where you'll go yet? Jomyo asked.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Kaertok bobbed his head in agreement. He was fairly certain Arbiter did not want to join up with anybody else. She was certainly headstrong, but he was rather used to that, coming from Tartok. His lineage was full of strong, silent types just like the Dokuga. She asked where he would go after politely declining his offer to tag along, and Sungiwok shrugged his shoulders. Just around. See if I can scare up any additional recruits. So far, he'd been zero for one on that count.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
She replied first with a small nod, then quick chuff. Good luck, though she was sincere in her message, presentation aside. Lasting, worthwhile recruits were awfully hard to come by--most of who she found were just transients, not the sorts really looking to settle, or ones that were up to Arbiter's standards, anyway, let alone her own. I do hope you have better luck than I have sniffing out someone worth keeping lately, she added on, shifting her shoulders.

Anyway, to shift gears away from that and back to her own growing hunger: You have an appetite? I was thinking about hunting something down soon, she offered before she would head on towards that plan that she was feeling a bit more motivated about, which he was free to take or leave. With or without, she would be on her way soon.
454 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
We can probably fade out here. <3

Jomyo, in so many words, confirmed his suspicion that he wasn't the only one who wasn't having much luck getting recruits. Of course, considering how few they'd been able to wrangle, it made sense that she too had been having difficulties with the task. He assumed Arbiter's efforts had been much the same, although he wasn't about to question her on that. Jomyo had recruited him, after all, so her count was at least a little above his own.

Sure, he replied, waiting for Jomyo to lead the way. Spending some quality time with pack mates was never a bad way to spend an afternoon.
✰✰✰
229 Posts
Ooc — b.
i agree!
Happy to take his acceptance, the scout swept her muzzle in a gesture then and went on the way vaguely towards the lake--though for now, her directive was vague enough that the course could shift with ease. She could iron out the details in a bit, likely once landing into a good groove depending on what they came across. With good company, however, she was not about to complain and sure that two noses and sets of eyes could catch a hint of something.

Jomyo liked their odds well enough and honestly, that was plenty for her for now as they moved on. If all else failed, well, at least she wouldn't have to do it alone.