Firefly Ravine oh, mother: tell me more. . .
and i'm wondering who could be writing this song?
209 Posts
Ooc — mercury
All Welcome 
mummy had never waken up. cam wondered if her dreams had been so good that she had just chosen to stay asleep. whatever the case, she did not stir again. his father and others had tried to explain the situation to him, but he didn't understand. he couldn't grasp the concept.

and as he watched her burial within the field of thorny red flowers they called 'roses,' he grappled with the abstract. was there a here and there? how could you just be here one moment and gone the next? if the light went out—like it had with the butterfly, like it had with lily—where did it go? why did it die?

restless, many days later, he began to follow the minnow stream, which eventually flowed into a much larger and faster stream that he watched with interest. and then he followed that. he was leaving the willows behind, which in any other circumstance would have frightened him, except that since mummy had gone to sleep forever, he didn't feel anything but confusion. certainly not fear.

it was a dangerous journey for a wolf so small, but cam didn't know that. he picked his way down the ravine, stepping carefully, his stomach clenching as he took fearful glances over the edge. finally, though, he was on more solid ground, right up next to the river. it was evening, the sun was nearly down, and there were little floating, glowing lights. . .everywhere.

cam stared at them with wonder, watching the patterns in which they moved. he'd seen them before, but never this many, and never this beautiful. he scampered forward several steps, rushing to the den to ask mummy about them—

but the den wasn't here. and mummy wasn't here. just like the butterfly, she had gone to sleep, never to wake up.

so, for the first time in days and days, he felt something. he felt too much of something. his eyes grew wet, his throat closed tight, and his chest began to heave with sobs. cam sank to the ground, pressing his face against his outstretched forelegs. he didn't understand, and he couldn't even ask her about it. it wasn't fair.

mummy, he choked out, weeping, the little lights all muddling together as his vision blurred.
Messages In This Thread
oh, mother: tell me more. . . - by Cam - June 14, 2019, 07:10 PM
RE: oh, mother: tell me more. . . - by Moor - June 14, 2019, 10:49 PM
RE: oh, mother: tell me more. . . - by Cam - June 20, 2019, 10:50 PM