Nova Peak If you must mourn, don't do it alone
i'm defeated and i gladly wear the crown
266 Posts
Ooc —
Wylla countered Stag's assessment of Mahler; for a moment the boy was quiet, looking at the pine needles on the ground. It was not his nature to analyze his leaders -- but even he recognized their proud General was still a human wolf, bound by the same flaws that dogged them all.

Some wolves are just shitty. Indeed; Stag nodded in agreement there. He didn't realize Wylla was thinking of her daughter (sidenote: could you imagine a Stag/Tiercel thread? She'd stick him, boil him, mash him, and then she'd step on his carapace just for the thrilling noise it made when it broke). Stag didn't even know Wylla had a daughter besides Phaedra (who came out perfectly, in his eyes).

Certainly there was a theme - most wolves didn't think about anyone but themselves. Stag's gums twisted in a visible line of conflicted sadness. He didn't know what it was like, not thinking about other people. How had wolves been born that way? What made them tick so differently than he?

He was lost in these thoughts when Wylla spoke again, bringing to light her opinion he'd make a leader. Uh, what? His ears flicked to her in mute surprise, followed by the slow climb of his gaze to hers as if to affirm his ears were working properly.

When Stag thought of leaders, he thought of people -- wolves -- like Wylla. Like Mahler. Like Takiyok, and Stigmata. Wolves hardened by experience. Wolves intelligent, with foresight and great ability to provide for their pack.

Conversely, when he thought of Stag, he thought of fat, round edges. Of emotional weakness. Of poor judgment calls.

How did he fit in with their order? How did Wylla think he could be equal among them? He did not for one minute want to question Wylla's judgment. She could tell him to walk off a cliff, and he probably would -- but did that mean his judgment of himself was incorrect? And, if so, didn't that prove he wasn't good at the leader stuff? "I.. Um." Hmm. "I don't think I would be a good leader. Not like you." There was no hiding the flush of respectful awe in Stag's voice. "I'm not as smart as you.. or Mahler. And sometimes, I think I make bad decisions and it can hurt the people around me."
and it brings me to you, but i won't just past through
i'm not asking for a storm.  
Messages In This Thread
If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Wylla - August 22, 2020, 04:08 PM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Stag - August 31, 2020, 11:26 AM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Wylla - September 03, 2020, 10:01 PM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Stag - September 09, 2020, 10:07 AM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Wylla - September 11, 2020, 03:48 AM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Stag - September 26, 2020, 03:36 PM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Wylla - October 12, 2020, 09:54 AM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Stag - October 16, 2020, 09:13 AM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Wylla - October 30, 2020, 12:55 PM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Stag - November 14, 2020, 04:55 PM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Wylla - November 21, 2020, 09:55 AM
RE: If you must mourn, don't do it alone - by Stag - November 23, 2020, 10:09 AM