Moonspear Where everything's safe and it doesn't get worse
Kvarsheim
NPC
614 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Away
Fig could tell she felt bad now, and that of course made him feel bad. He hadn't handled himself well in this conversation, and realized with sudden dismay that he'd done exactly what he knew was the number one thing not to do in these situations. He'd been approaching it defensively instead of with open, honest curiosity and a desire to understand what the other person was feeling.

He was being selfish. He wasn't listening.

"I hear you, Fenn. I understand. I do want to come back and see you, and I will," Fig said with a sigh, "And I appreciate the fact that you want to try and work on yourself for me, but I am not asking for that. I don't need that." He had to pause then to think about what else she'd said, about not trusting that he was actually honest with her. Did she have a point? Was he honest with her? And if not, then why? Was it because he was trying to protect her feelings or was he trying to protect himself? He needed more time to really reflect on it. But at first glance, he didn't think it was either.

But whatever it was... something occurred to him just as he was begrudgingly parting his lips to speak, and he took another moment to consider his next steps. He pivoted then, feeling decisive, confident, in ways he hadn't at the onset of the conversation.

"Everyone has a right to privacy when it comes to their thoughts and emotions, Fenn," Fig said calmly and steadily, "Just because my feelings might have something to do with you doesn't mean you are entitled to know them. I have shared with you what I want to share. My reasons for why I feel it's good for me to have space from you and our parents are my own. I need you to trust me when I say there is not a problem here for you to solve, and I need you to trust that I have always had nothing but positive intent in every choice I have made and every action I have taken."

"The only way you can make things worse is by not respecting that," he said with finality. He had placed his boundaries before her and was confident now in the knowledge that she could bash against it all she wanted, the wall was not going to come down. Even if it made her angry, even if it made her sad. Even if it hurt her feelings (which seemed to be what she wanted).
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.
Fenn is welcome at all times and will in fact make me sad if she doesn't show up.
Messages In This Thread
RE: Where everything's safe and it doesn't get worse - by Figment - May 10, 2023, 01:32 PM