Sun Mote Copse but i'd rather swim ashore
Sun Mote Copse
Comrade
127 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Private 
Let me know if this won't work for your timeline, I thought it'd be a good opportunity to reference Skipjack and I'm hoping to take advantage of a trade op, too! Otter and Skipjack tags are for reference, this one is for Meerkat!

For the first couple days, Stingray kept his distance from his mother and brand new siblings. There were many visitors clamoring to see the newborns without his inclusion and he was reluctant to further overwhelm @Meerkat. Instead, Stingray spent his time patrolling the inner pack territory, ensuring there were no potential threats in the vicinity of the Taigh, and carrying food back to his weary ma. He was no fighter, but he had plenty of protective instinct where his family was concerned. Luckily, every one of his patrols ended uneventfully.

Today was the day. Instead of heading out like the days prior, Stingray took advantage of a lull in the visitors and scooted toward Meerkat on his belly, tail wriggling hopefully. With her blessing, he brushed his nose over the newborns and learned their scents. In the dark, he did his best to learn their faces as well. He was introduced to @Otter first, who received a sloppy kiss from her older brother, but when Meerkat introduced him to @Skipjack, Stingray felt a pang deep in his gut and asked if he could hold his little brother.

The boy could almost have been the spitting image of Swordfish if his white belly was cream instead.

Stingray cradled Skipjack close to his chest, too overcome with grief and memory to speak or do more than merely stare at him for a long while. He knew he wasn't supposed to have favorites, but poor Otter was completely forgotten for the time being. He knew he would find time for her later, but right now, Ray clung to his little brother like his whole life depended on it.

He missed Swordfish more than he could ever put into words. It was just over a year since his littermate was lost to them, just over a year since their flight from Sapphique and the bear. The raw wound of Fish's absence had become a scab, then a knotted scar, but even now that scar ached. Looking down at little Skipjack, Stingray felt that wound just the same as when it was freshly cut into his heart.

Realizing he had been motionless and fixated on his tiny brother for what might be an uncomfortable length of time, Stingray shifted and blinked back the stinging in his eyes. Sorry, ma, he whispered as he passed the babe back to her, he looks just like Fish.
Messages In This Thread
but i'd rather swim ashore - by Stingray - March 04, 2024, 01:35 AM
RE: but i'd rather swim ashore - by Meerkat - March 04, 2024, 09:04 AM
RE: but i'd rather swim ashore - by Stingray - March 08, 2024, 03:34 AM
RE: but i'd rather swim ashore - by Meerkat - March 08, 2024, 09:00 AM
RE: but i'd rather swim ashore - by Stingray - April 06, 2024, 10:23 PM
RE: but i'd rather swim ashore - by Meerkat - April 08, 2024, 08:41 AM
RE: but i'd rather swim ashore - by Stingray - April 17, 2024, 10:39 AM
RE: but i'd rather swim ashore - by Meerkat - April 18, 2024, 08:16 AM